Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: i call on all the 8 series gurus

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    So its been over a year later and haven't had much time to work on the car myself as its 3.5 hours away from me but lots more has been done since last year. We've retraced all our steps and it still wont start. The sensor has been replaced and tested again. still nothing. swapped out everything with spares to see if any changes. NOTHING. The next step we are doing this weekend is putting in new batteries. I read last week that old batteries could be causing the gremlins. I've had some of the best 850 minds helping me out (really appreciate all the help guys) but still haven't found the problem. Its been 11 years living with an 8 and I'm coming close to giving up and parting this old girl out. Anyone that knows me knows how passionate I am about these cars but the frustration is getting to me. its been more than 2 years parked, taunting me. There has to be someone out there that has come across this and has a new idea out there.
    Last edited by liquidblueloft; 04-22-2017 at 07:58 PM.

my Twins 850's and its AMG cousin

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I need you to respond to the following questions:
    1) Did you test fuel pressure at the back of the engine at two fuel lines? What does the pressure read at ignition on either line?
    2) Are you able to connect to both DMEs with INPA? Codes? What about EML?
    3)Have you replaced both crankshaft sensors?
    4)Throttles, are you able to turn the spring with hand and do they return to closed position easily?
    5) Did you check spark?

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    1) fuel pressure is normal. also fuel pump and filters were replaced shortly before the engine work.
    2) that one was over my head. If it is the laptop that cdnaplina has them we have hooked it up many times. it threw no codes.
    3) both were replaced with all the other engine work and then the car wouldn't start. i had an issue with getting the bottom one installed when i did the work so that was the one i replaced again. I know what you are thinking there and after the battery replacement, if i still have the issue, we were going to also replace the top one.
    4) throttles are good and we also replaced both with know working ones.
    5) spark is good. i have a new setup. same one as Wuffer and we also swapped out caps rotors and wires just to make sure. Checked the donut wires too.
    Last edited by liquidblueloft; 04-23-2017 at 03:02 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidblueloft View Post
    1) fuel pressure is normal. also fuel pump and filters were replaced shortly before the engine work.
    2) that one was over my head. If it is the laptop that cdnaplina has them we have hooked it up many times. it threw no codes.
    3) both were replaced with all the other engine work and then the car wouldn't start. i had an issue with getting the bottom one installed when i did the work so that was the one i replaced again. I know what you are thinking there and after the battery replacement, if i still have the issue, we were going to also replace the top one.
    4) throttles are good and we also replaced both with know working ones.
    5) spark is good. i have a new setup. same one as Wuffer and we also swapped out caps rotors and wires just to make sure. Checked the donut wires too.
    Ok so have you visually verified 43psi at each fuel rail?
    Basically what I am saying if the dmes are online, you have spark and fuel it should fire! Unless 2 things sensors crank or cylinder position or timing is screwed up. Was the engine locked down at tds with a flywheel pin while 2 cam tools were installed on the cams?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    Hey Dragon, the car has been at my place and I have been working with Miciah and Tom on this. We have only verified that there is fuel, but not put a gauge to it. I need to create a fuel pressure testing tool anyway so this will be the perfect excuse to. Any suggestions on what gauges to use or how to build a setup? My thoughts are to build two fuel pressure gauge setups that I can put inline on each fuel rail at the back of the rails in places of those short sections of rubber hose. Does that make sense?

There is some question on the batteries as they are 6 years old I believe and have been drained to death several times - so that could be part of the issue. I'm going to pull known good batteries from one of my 8s to see if by the graces of the 8 gods that is the issue. Failing that will check the fuel pressure on each line.

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    ya... what Rob said. lol
    Plus that was a bit over my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Was the engine locked down at tds with a flywheel pin while 2 cam tools were installed on the cams?
    Sorry but that question was a bit beyond my comprehension

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E55T, E30T
    I believe he's referring to the pin to locate top dead center while cam block tools were used. Probably trying to verify timing is correct?

Are you using OE/OEM crank sensors? I know the E36 guys have lots of issues with aftermarket ones.

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    I definitely put the pin back in, if that's what your asking? Is there something I could have missed there?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnalpina View Post
    Hey Dragon, the car has been at my place and I have been working with Miciah and Tom on this. We have only verified that there is fuel, but not put a gauge to it. I need to create a fuel pressure testing tool anyway so this will be the perfect excuse to. Any suggestions on what gauges to use or how to build a setup? My thoughts are to build two fuel pressure gauge setups that I can put inline on each fuel rail at the back of the rails in places of those short sections of rubber hose. Does that make sense?

There is some question on the batteries as they are 6 years old I believe and have been drained to death several times - so that could be part of the issue. I'm going to pull known good batteries from one of my 8s to see if by the graces of the 8 gods that is the issue. Failing that will check the fuel pressure on each line.
    ECS tuning sells a set of gauges that are small enough and go inline. You need to test with the lines capped off should be around 60psi and holding, then inline to see what pressure the regulators are dropping the pressure to. should be 43psi.
    When engine work was done heads were off?? How did you time the cams? Flywheel Pin and cam locking tools?
    You have spark, fuel pressure unknown.(need to see what it is. that's the next step)
    Can you connect to EML computer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I believe he's referring to the pin to locate top dead center while cam block tools were used. Probably trying to verify timing is correct?

Are you using OE/OEM crank sensors? I know the E36 guys have lots of issues with aftermarket ones.
    YEP

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    There has to be someone out there that has come across this and has a new idea out there.
    With the ignition key turned all the way on but don't crank it, Do you hear a buzzing sound coming from the DK's?

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    If you have changed both CPS and tried to install the plugs attached to them into the the socket as illistrated in the picture in my previous post. Then you have got it wrong. As I did.
    bank 1/6 is on the left looking at the engine from the front of the car.
    both CPS have the same part number. They are identicle.
    the engine rotates clockwise when running therefore the sencors that is at 2 o'clock is for bank 1/6
    on my car the CPS PLUG lives closest to bank 1/6 top floor
    the leed for cylinder 6 has the donut sensor and the plug attached fits BELLOW the cps plug for for bank 1/6
    image.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by koenig d; 04-26-2017 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    wait... WHAT?!? That picture that has been floating around forever is wrong? I'll have to check if that's what we went by or if it was the one from the manual. I'm almost positive i tried it both ways last year when we couldn't get it started. That's part of the problem, I have been working on this for so long that I'm staring to forget what we have tried.

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    ECS tuning sells a set of gauges that are small enough and go inline. You need to test with the lines capped off should be around 60psi and holding, then inline to see what pressure the regulators are dropping the pressure to. should be 43psi.
    When engine work was done heads were off?? How did you time the cams? Flywheel Pin and cam locking tools?
    You have spark, fuel pressure unknown.(need to see what it is. that's the next step)
    Can you connect to EML computer?

- - - Updated - - -

YEP

Heads were not taken off so not need to be concerned about timing. Just valve covers and intakes were taken off, as well as the waterpump and the harmonic balancer.

I have connected the car to DIS and there are no codes.

I'm guessing (hoping) batteries, as the ones in there are mega old and been taken to death several times. Or fuel pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    With the ignition key turned all the way on but don't crank it, Do you hear a buzzing sound coming from the DK's?
    Yes, the DKs buzz with the key in position 2

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    wait... WHAT?!? That picture that has been floating around forever is wrong? I'll have to check if that's what we went by or if it was the one from the manual. I'm almost positive i tried it both ways last year when we couldn't get it started. That's part of the problem, I have been working on this for so long that I'm staring to forget what we have tried.
    FORGOT TO MENTION, the CPS plug for 7/12 lives rhs bottom floor,donut upstairs,as in my updated picture.
    my car is rhd with the steering wheel on the same side as the fuel filler cap.��

My Cars
    BMW 850I 1992
    liquidblueloft

Hope this info help see file with information about Damper and Crank sensor gap. Just an additional test for all work you already done with CDalpina and you need a none conductive tool like (plastic blade with max 1.5mm diameter) to recheck between both .

My Cars
    '91 E31 850i,'05 E53 4.4
    Miciah (Liquidblueloft), when I replaced the Crankshaft Pos sensors on your M70 last summer/fall (in Rob's garage), I connected them as per the "revised" pic from Koenig D shows... they can not connect any other way as the amount of wire on the CPS is not long enough to go from bottom sensor to right most connection anyhow. I connected them properly, I assure you
    I swear, my cars are like a girlfriend.
    Sometimes its a rough ride, sometimes its smooth motorin'.
    Sometimes she doesnt like how i treat her and sometimes i dont like how she behaves.
    BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    So here is an update. We tried every suggestion and even did most of them again just to make sure. We also swapped out almost everything with known working parts from my buddies 8 and still nothing. On the drive home a week ago feeling defeated I have 3 hours to go over everything in my head and I had a light bulb moment. I remembered that when I had most of the engine apart when I started the job, I also decided to clean the fuel injectors in a ultrasonic bath. I then remembered I had left then in there till the morning before putting then back in. Hmmmm
    I went back to the car last week again and took all the injectors out and tested them. 2 out of 6 on one side worked and 1 out of 6 on the other side worked. FINALLY!!! I'll post a video of the cheap method I did to test them when I get home today. I bought a new set off of Wuffer and Rob installed them for me and it's started. That was the issue. Its alive. I guess the bath corroded of ruined the insides. Thanks to everyone that helped out and for all the advice.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...4&id=829830233
    Last edited by liquidblueloft; 08-08-2017 at 11:07 AM.

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    I also reconnected the ground and power wires to the wrong terminals in the housing where the jump terminal is. Wouldn't start, was confused and annoyed after a several on the engine rebuild. Then I thought to switch them around after thinking about what could possibly be connected wrong, and BANG, started up right away.

It didn't look like it mattered, but clearly it did.

Just a thought....
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's

and it continues...

Not sure if i should start a new post but my new issues may be connected to the old one....where to begin.

I have a new issue after finally getting the car to finally start. Im getting the same issue that may people seem to be experiencing and I've tried most of the fixes but not getting anywhere. When i first start the car it runs rough almost like its running on six but with no codes on the gt1. NONE. I go to step on the gas and there is a lag in power . a huge hesitation and then the car slowly start to gain speed. A few times now the car has started fine but its only been twice. Here is a list of what been done to the car.

batteries both replaced
    made sure the connections are tight
    both links been replaced.
    new spark plugs
    new coils
    new magnecore wires
    wokke chip (8years old)
    caps (8000kms)
    new cps sensors (twice replaced)

fuel system
    fuel pump (3000+kms)
    new filters
    new fuel lines
    new oem fuel injectors(wuffer)
    new o rings

upper gaskets
    lower gaskets
    refurbished MAFS
    refurbished throttles

that was all done before this new issue

This is what i've done since the loss of power
    removed the cats. installed straight pipe and 2 new o2 sensors
    swapped the O2 sensors and made no difference. none at all. Is that strange?
    swapped out #6 and#12 wires with oem to see if the common magnecor problem
    then swapped out all the wires with oem. no difference
    check the coil connections ...large on the positive and the 2 small wire connected to the negative
    swapped out throttles and mafs from my number 1 car ...nothing
    checked fuses again
    checked batteries connections again
    new tank of gas.

AUGH!!!!! What am i missing?
    Last edited by liquidblueloft; 08-16-2017 at 04:30 PM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Not sure if i should start a new post but my new issues may be connected to the old one....where to begin.

I have a new issue after finally getting the car to finally start. Im getting the same issue that may people seem to be experiencing and I've tried most of the fixes but not getting anywhere. When i first start the car it runs rough almost like its running on six but with no codes on the gt1. NONE. I go to step on the gas and there is a lag in power . a huge hesitation and then the car slowly start to gain speed. A few times now the car has started fine but its only been twice. Here is a list of what been done to the car.

batteries both replaced
    made sure the connections are tight
    both links been replaced.
    new spark plugs
    new coils
    new magnecore wires
    wokke chip (8years old)
    caps (8000kms)
    new cps sensors (twice replaced)

fuel system
    fuel pump (3000+kms)
    new filters
    new fuel lines
    new oem fuel injectors(wuffer)
    new o rings

upper gaskets
    lower gaskets
    refurbished MAFS
    refurbished throttles

that was all done before this new issue

This is what i've done since the loss of power
    removed the cats. installed straight pipe and 2 new o2 sensors
    swapped the O2 sensors and made no difference. none at all. Is that strange?
    swapped out #6 and#12 wires with oem to see if the common magnecor problem
    then swapped out all the wires with oem. no difference
    check the coil connections ...large on the positive and the 2 small wire connected to the negative
    swapped out throttles and mafs from my number 1 car ...nothing
    checked fuses again
    checked batteries connections again
    new tank of gas.

AUGH!!!!! What am i missing?
    Install 2 inline fuel gauges at the back of the engine. Start the car and monitor the pressure. Let us know what it is on both sides.

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    Did that yesterday at the shop. Both were within a proper lbs of pressure

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    I'm about to swap my emls and see if that does anything

My Cars
    Twin BMW e31's
    Swapping the eml and dme's didn't accomplish anything. I'm so stuck. There really isn't much left on this car that hasn't been replaced or rebuilt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast