Thread: 2004 530D not reaching operating temperature

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530D

2004 530D not reaching operating temperature

Hi guys ! I am new to these forums, I have been reading a lot but havent been posting a lot to be honest. I have a 2004 BMW 530D e60, and I love it ! However when I was buying it ( used ), before I paid the salesperson i took the car to a indy repair shop to have it checked, they told me that one of the thermostats is " broken " . But hell, I went with it and bought the car regardless of that with plan of having that fixed soon. I entered the hidden menu and started checking the temperatures. When driving at about 120km/h , the engine (coolant ) temperature wouldnt exceed 73C. I drove from my home to a town 40km away and max temp I got from the engine is 73C. Once I came into town, the car would eventually get up to 80C or more, but soon as I was back on the open road, the temp would go down as low as 68C . I know this is bad for the engine, and my fuel consumption is higher, since engine is getting more "rich" fuel due to not being on operating temperature ( 88C - 90C ) I pressume. So yesterday I decided to have the main thermostat and EGR thermostat replaced. I fitted OEM parts ( Wahler and Behr I believe ), put in new coolant, bled the system, and still had the same problem. Although now it was a bit better, after about 20km driving around town, the temperature would get to about 90C and stay there, or eventually drop to 88 and then get back to 90 and so on ( 88 is the opening temperature for the main thermostat ) . And again once I went to open road and drove a bit faster, the temperature starts getting back down to about 75-80C . Still not normal. So I have a brand new main thermostat and brand new egr thermostat, and almost the same problem as before. Did any one of you have similar problems before and how did you solve it? I checked forums and it seems nobody has had similar problem like I did. a lot of people do get low temperatures but after changing thermostats it should be alright, but mine isnt :/ is there something I should check, reset, or anything? i just want my car to run on operating temperature . thanks!

Also when I bought the car 2 weeks ago I immediately put in brand new oil ( Castrol Edge plus ), changed the oil filter, fuel filter , and air filter , and also I put 4 brand new continental contisport5 tires, so didnt have money to replace thermostat right away.

My Cars
    BMW 530d
    I have the same problem.
    Finaly, what was your problem?

My Cars
    E39
    If your car is automatic, I heard that there is one more thermostat in gearbox, and people use the tubing to bypass that thermostat.