Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Wrapping single stage paint?

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp

Wrapping single stage paint?

Has anyone wrapped single stage paint? Thinking if throwing clear matte wrap would make it easier to maintain... Going to look at a red e34 with single stage paint. Googled some, but didn't find much.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Wrappping SS is fine. Weak paint is weak paint regardless of base-clear or SS. Quality film makes more of a difference than paint type. However, matte anything will NOT be easier to maintain.

While applying the film it is very common to cut through and mark the paint, make sure your installer knows what he is dooing (if it matters). The beauty of SS paint is that it can be corrected well and ends in very deep-looking color rather easily, assuming it is not oxidized and thrashed.

My Cars
    14 Mustang GT
    I've wrapped several cars with single stage paint. Like mentioned above it's all about the paint and prep work. If the paint is not adhered properly it is possible to pull paint when installing the film. I warn every customer that has had paint work done that pulling paint is a real possibility and we are not responsible for it since we did not do the paint work.

What type of film are you looking at? I use XPEL Matte film which is great stuff! With that film you get the look you want and the added benefit of paint protection. Another nice thing about it is you can use detail spray or spray wax to wipe down your car and not worry about fine scratches and swirls. Obviously if the car is very dirty you should wash it first, but in my opinion it is easier to maintain. I have a Mustang that is completely wrapped in paint protection film. The car doesn't get driven much so it gets dusty more than dirty, but I give it a quick spray wax wipe down and I'm good to go.

Cost is another thing to keep in mind. You could be looking at as much as $6-7000 to do a full wrap in a quality film. My advice based on experience is the old, you get what you pay for. This is what I do for a living and I'm also in MA so I'm happy to answer any questions or discuss further if you're interested.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Thanks guys. I decided not to go for that project car - just too much work was involved and it wouldn't be worth much at the end. I do however appreciate your advice - learned something new!