Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my M

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

Finally got my M

Finally picked up my M!

On Tuesday I found a 1998 M roadster for sale in Mississippi. I called the guy that evening and agreed on a price and a plan to get it. I booked a flight from Indianapolis to New Orleans that night for that Friday. Flew down friday morning. The guy picked me up from the airport in the car and we drove back to his place to get the title and finish the deal. Then I drove the car 783 miles home haha. Was quite a long drive in a car that I had never even test drove.

Specs on the car

1998 BMW M Roadster
    Exterior: Estoril Blue
    Interior: Estoril Blue and Black Nappa
    Top: Blue

S52 with 161000 miles on it.
    The car is a little rough but nothing too bad that can't be fixed. I plan on enjoying the car while I slowly restore it. I am going to start making some Carbon Fiber interior parts for it to replace the damaged ones. Some of this may just be removing the old leather and recovering with Carbon Fiber.
    Nice little car over all. Didn't have any issues on the drive home.

The clutch engages right on the floor, he gave me a steel braded clutch line with it. I noticed the Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking so I am going to replace the Master Cylinder and the clutch lines and put fresh fluid in the system. I also am going to change all the oils in the car (engine, transmission, Diff) and the valve cover gasket is leaking so that is going to be addressed right away also.

00n0n_9rdcVbF4fqi_600x450.jpg01515_lkTvdqYVGNm_600x450.jpg00U0U_cBDf0ck6EtA_600x450.jpg00l0l_eXXkEdeK13r_600x450.jpg

The only other BMW I have owned was a 1995 M3 about 6 years ago, it had 200k on the clock. Notable past sports cars Ive had include a 2010 370z and a 1995 RX-7 that I put an LS-1 and 6 speed in.

Excited to have my M and ready to start fixin her up!!
    Fred

anyone have any advice on where to order:
    Clutch Master Cylinder
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Last edited by Venom13132; 03-27-2016 at 11:31 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    Finally picked up my M!

On Tuesday I found a 1998 M roadster for sale in Mississippi. I called the guy that evening and agreed on a price and a plan to get it. I booked a flight from Indianapolis to New Orleans that night for that Friday. Flew down friday morning. The guy picked me up from the airport in the car and we drove back to his place to get the title and finish the deal. Then I drove the car 783 miles home haha. Was quite a long drive in a car that I had never even test drove.

Specs on the car

1998 BMW M Roadster
    Exterior: Estoril Blue
    Interior: Estoril Blue and Black Nappa
    Top: Blue

S52 with 161000 miles on it.
    The car is a little rough but nothing too bad that can't be fixed. I plan on enjoying the car while I slowly restore it. I am going to start making some Carbon Fiber interior parts for it to replace the damaged ones. Some of this may just be removing the old leather and recovering with Carbon Fiber.
    Nice little car over all. Didn't have any issues on the drive home.

The clutch engages right on the floor, he gave me a steel braded clutch line with it. I noticed the Clutch Master Cylinder is leaking so I am going to replace the Master Cylinder and the clutch lines and put fresh fluid in the system. I also am going to change all the oils in the car (engine, transmission, Diff) and the valve cover gasket is leaking so that is going to be addressed right away also.

00n0n_9rdcVbF4fqi_600x450.jpg01515_lkTvdqYVGNm_600x450.jpg00U0U_cBDf0ck6EtA_600x450.jpg00l0l_eXXkEdeK13r_600x450.jpg

The only other BMW I have owned was a 1995 M3 about 6 years ago, it had 200k on the clock. Notable past sports cars Ive had include a 2010 370z and a 1995 RX-7 that I put an LS-1 and 6 speed in.

Excited to have my M and ready to start fixin her up!!
    Fred
    Nice acquisition! I recently just got a nearly identical roadster myself. I'd be interested to see the progress as you fix/change the interior parts. I've been brainstorming creating a new shifter panel myself as mine is busted and I can't bring myself to spend $200 to replace it when it will likely break again.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Nice job! Love that you spontaneously bought it, flew in and drove it home; that's the stuff car dreams are made of!

Since you had the M3, just about everything under the hood will be familiar to you. One thing though; when the head cover leaks, that's often a sign that the cyclone separator is clogged up, creating too much crankcase pressure. At 161k miles, its replacement is conceivable. I'd recommend ordering new hoses associated with it, as the originals will be brittle (to the head cover) and softened/breaking down (to the dipstick) and new grommets (ICV uses the same one) where it attaches to the manifold.

The ///M clutch does take up right from the floor, compared to most other cars, including all the Z3s I've driven (quite a few, for never having owned one) so there may not be anything wrong there, but an aftermarket hose and fresh fluid is always a good idea.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysars View Post
    Nice acquisition! I recently just got a nearly identical roadster myself. I'd be interested to see the progress as you fix/change the interior parts. I've been brainstorming creating a new shifter panel myself as mine is busted and I can't bring myself to spend $200 to replace it when it will likely break again.
    Thanks!
    I may do just about everything in carbon fiber. i found some blue carbon fiber I am going to play with to do the blue parts in to keep the contrast between black and blue in the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Nice job! Love that you spontaneously bought it, flew in and drove it home; that's the stuff car dreams are made of!

Since you had the M3, just about everything under the hood will be familiar to you. One thing though; when the head cover leaks, that's often a sign that the cyclone separator is clogged up, creating too much crankcase pressure. At 161k miles, its replacement is conceivable. I'd recommend ordering new hoses associated with it, as the originals will be brittle (to the head cover) and softened/breaking down (to the dipstick) and new grommets (ICV uses the same one) where it attaches to the manifold.

The ///M clutch does take up right from the floor, compared to most other cars, including all the Z3s I've driven (quite a few, for never having owned one) so there may not be anything wrong there, but an aftermarket hose and fresh fluid is always a good idea.
    Thanks! Yeah it was a whirlwind trip. Was kinda nerve racking the first few hundred miles not knowing if I would make it home or not! haha. The clutch Master Cylinder has fluid all over it so I know it is leaking. Gonna replace a few things. I am going to look more into that cyclone separator issue with the leaking valve cover gaskit and probably will replace all that rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I'd recommend ordering new hoses associated with it, as the originals will be brittle (to the head cover) and softened/breaking down (to the dipstick) and new grommets (ICV uses the same one) where it attaches to the manifold.
    The car does have a cold start idle issue I was going to clean the ICV also. I found the cyclone separator its called "Crankcase Vent Valve; Pressure Regulating Valve/Oil Separator" correct?
    Last edited by Venom13132; 03-27-2016 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    That's the 3rd blue/blue/blue roadster in about 2 weeks. Spring is definitely around the corner.

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    Thanks!
    I may do just about everything in carbon fiber. i found some blue carbon fiber I am going to play with to do the blue parts in to keep the contrast between black and blue in the interior.
    This sounds awesome and very unique...Good Luck!

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    The entire process of spontaneously buying a car and then doing a roadtrip should really be on every car guy's (and gal's) bucket list. Sounds like an experience...and after all that you got an estoril (IMHO, the best color for these cars).

For parts, I'd look at ECS Tuning, Autohaus AZ or BMW of South Atlanta. Happy hunting!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Nijapo View Post
    The entire process of spontaneously buying a car and then doing a roadtrip should really be on every car guy's (and gal's) bucket list. Sounds like an experience...and after all that you got an estoril (IMHO, the best color for these cars).

For parts, I'd look at ECS Tuning, Autohaus AZ or BMW of South Atlanta. Happy hunting!
    I just ordered a bunch of crap from Autohaus AZ. I plan on working on it next weekend since I have a 3 day weekend.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    So I ordered some new parts for the car. I have next friday off so I will get to work on refreshing the car. Still needs quite a bit of work. Excited to start refreshing the car. I haven't driven it since I got it home.
    Here is a list of what I purchased so far:
    Rear Diff oil - Lucas 70w-140
    Transmission Oil - Royal Purple 01512 Synthetic
    Engine Oil - Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic 10qt
    New Ventilation Valve ICV Grommit
    Outer Door Handle Gasket Rubber Seals
    BMW Rear Zip in Windscreen
    New ///M Rear Trunk Lid emblems
    New Trunk Lid 82mm Round BMW Emblem
    New magnetic oil Drain Plug
    New Clutch Master Cylinder
    New Crankcase Breather Hose
    New Crankcase Pressure Regulating Valve/Oil Separator
    New Oil Filter Kit; OE Filter
    New lower Oil Separator Connection Hose
    New Valve Cover Gasket Set
    Replacement Valve Cover Trim Cap for Bolts
    New Valve Cover Nut Seal
    New Plastic Door handle interior Surrounds
    New ///M stripped Leather Shift and E-Brake Boots
    New OEM Shift Knob, M Illuminated

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Congrats on the purchase! I really dig Estoril.

Back in 2004 I did something similar when I bought my M Coupe. Called the guy, flew down to San Antonio, picked me up at the airport, then I drove back to Dallas in my new to me Coupe. Never test drove it or any other M Coupe before but when I got in it I knew this was the one for me.
    -Joe

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! I really dig Estoril.

Back in 2004 I did something similar when I bought my M Coupe. Called the guy, flew down to San Antonio, picked me up at the airport, then I drove back to Dallas in my new to me Coupe. Never test drove it or any other M Coupe before but when I got in it I knew this was the one for me.
    I think I got to Vallet park a Z3 back in like 2000 when I was a senior in High School. That's the closest I have been to driving an M haha. I have bought a number of cars sight unseen but I had them all shipped to me.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Well I finally got some work done on the M. I had a good weekend of weather this past weekend.

What I accomplished:
    Replaced my plastic rear window
    New Shift boot and ebrake boot installed
    New OEM shift knob with lights installed
    valve cover gasket, The one that was in there was rock solid.
    New Spark Plugs
    new cyclone air separator and hoses
    cleaned the Idle Air Sensor (fixed my cold idle issue!)
    Polished my yellow head lights
    Fixed the broken tabs on the drivers side head light
    replaced my rear emblem
    Replaced my clutch Master Cylinder (still need to bleed the system, not as easy as I would have hoped due to the slave having the bleeder on the bottom)
    Took everything out of the trunk of the car and took the fabric out of the back area where the top goes trying to figure out my water issue. I had about a gallon of water under my spare tire pump thing. I am going to put some clear Goop around the antenna grommet and the rear brake light. Probably going to put some around the bottom seal of the convertible top also. I need to find the gutters and clean them out, I am sure they are clogged also.

Still on the To Do list (and some new items)

Bleed the clutch system (put the interior parts back in I took out to replace the clutch MC)
    Replace the oil pan gasket
    Change the Diff fluid
    Change the Trans fluid
    Replace the door handle seals
    Fix the trunk water issue
    Recondition convertible top seals (pass side leaking near the A-pillar seal)
    Try and fix my shifter trim where all the buttons are (may just get a new one)

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Search this section of the forum for your to do list items; lots of helpful shortcuts (like bleeding the clutch slave unbolted from the trans__just be very careful to not lose the actuating rod in the bellhousing).

Sounds like you got more done in a weekend than most of us do in a month (at least when I'm working on my own car... )!
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 04-25-2016 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    every little project on the car generally leads to one or two more that I find while doing the first one.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    I agree with Randy, sounds like you have done more work on your Z than most of us do in several months! Well done! Once you get all the small quirks sorted out you will learn just how reliable and fantastic these cars are!

Cyrus
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    I agree with Randy, sounds like you have done more work on your Z than most of us do in several months! Well done! Once you get all the small quirks sorted out you will learn just how reliable and fantastic these cars are!

Cyrus
    I am not a new person to cars or BMWs actually. I used to have a 1995 M3 with 200k on the clock. I have also swapped an LS1 into an RX-7 (miss that car). The M was in pretty rough shape when I got it and still has a ways to go. I'm just trying to get it in decent shape so I can enjoy it while saving up for a hard top, fresh paint, and some power extras!

I need the pin that holds the clutch return spring in place and I went to both Pull a part and Pick a part today. One yard only had auto cars the other the clutch pedal assemblies had been taken already. So I just ordered one today. I should have taken more before pictures of the car.

Here are a couple pictures of my 7 I built. That car was a stripped and incomplete shell when I got it.

Rx7 road course.jpg31532_743971697798_3810824_n.jpg31532_743971717758_7013730_n.jpg

and one of my old M3
    183226_859612128448_5059718_n.jpg
    Last edited by Venom13132; 04-25-2016 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I just got a new rear console in the mail yesterday. My current one was missing the top cover and the back panel was pretty much destroyed. Looks like the previous owner tried to mess with the stereo and didn't want to take the time to properly remove the console to get the harmon Kardon sub thing out of the console. I don't think I will be putting the sub back in. I am going to redo the stereo myself so I will probably put an aftermareket amp inside there and probably this 8" sub I have sitting in my basement that is brand new I bought for my RX7 years ago.

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    LS swapped FD for the win!!! Congrats on the new car!

/
    //

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Well i got a new rear console since mine was all busted up and missing the top. I found a bunch of water under my seats so I took my seats out, took the rear console out, took the roll bar stuff out and all that rear trim, took out the carpet and the center console haha. So I found where the water is coming in, Its raining today so that helped. Gonna have to wait for it to stop raining to seal the spots its leaking and to clean out the drain holes. While I have everything out I am going to replace all of my speakers because they do not work and I am not interested in figuring out why, so I got a 4 channel amp, removed the HK sub thing from the back. Got 5.25" component speakers for the front and some 5.25" speakers for the rear (gonna have to cut the plastic where the 2.75" speakers are behind the seats. I have a busy May a head of me so it will probably be June before I get everything done and back together unfortunately. But it will be all nice, new, and dry!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Got some work done. Whomever replaced the top on this car did a crap job. I found two bolts, one in each drain plug. I had to reseal the top where it attaches to the back of the car with some silicone. The plastic pieces that go by the door are missing so I need to order them. IMG_8209.jpg

I spent a bunch of time cleaning out all the dirt and crap from years of getting water in the car. My front carpet is wet also so it may have to come out to dry properly. I am also removing all the unnecessary wiring from the back from hook ups they put in the trunk. I am using my own amp and speakers in the car so removing all the redundant wires to keep things clean. No project is ever small haha.

IMG_8204.JPGIMG_8205.jpgIMG_8206.JPGIMG_8208.jpg

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    I just got the same car buts mines a 2000 with 101K, best car decision I ever made.
    I had a PPI done but they missed some stuff but all in all its a great car
    Had new rear shocks installed and the guibo replaced, the PD was leaking too, got that fixed

Tops the s2000, miata and Z4 I had before it.

If you dont mind me asking, how much do you have in it so far?

Only issue now is I want to drive it every day

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    im trying to get mine into everyday driving condition. I have put about $1000 into it after purchasing the car and have done all the work myself. Once I get through this project of getting the water out of the interior it should be all good for everyday driving. I am probably going to replace the oil pan gasket when I swap the trans and diff fluids and it should be all good. I have owned a lot of different cars. I really like how this one looks and its a pretty simple car when it comes down to it, which is nice.

My Cars
    z3
    Wearing shoes? Guess you didn't get the memo... in the Z3 world, flip flops are our work boots

Good work on the car, depending on your long term plans with the car I'd be careful about removing wiring from the harness. Not much weight, and leaving it there allows things to be reverted to stock in the future

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Wearing shoes? Guess you didn't get the memo... in the Z3 world, flip flops are our work boots

Good work on the car, depending on your long term plans with the car I'd be careful about removing wiring from the harness. Not much weight, and leaving it there allows things to be reverted to stock in the future
    haha. I do like wearing my flippy floppies! I am going to put an LS3 in this car, so being able to revert to stock is going out the window, haha. I got it cheap enough and it needs enough work that customizing it is cheaper than keeping everthing stock, especially with the cost of interior parts!! When I did my 95 RX7 I removed like 5lbs of wires that were unused. The big thing to watch for when doing that is keeping all your grounds in tact so everything is still powered properly.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    If you just prop up the forward carpet section with some wood blocks, allowing the air to circulate, it should dry out without having to completely remove it.

IF YOU DO decide to take it out, some strategically placed cut(s)__right down the centerline of the car between the firewall and eater matrix area__will allow it to be removed without taking the whole dash apart.

Last summer I was working on a Coupe that had a swamp in the RH footwell (after some very serious and sloppy frame rail replacement) and the collision shop guy had also cut the carpet down the centerline rendering it two (2) completely separate sections. Upon assembly, all the cuts are hidden, and it did make it a lot easier for me__working alone__to get them out of the car.

I used some gaffer's tape upon reassembly to hold the cut sections back together, and no one would be the wiser, save for my totally transparent nature of car repair, and generating about a thousand (1470, to be precise...) pictures of the process

Edit: what do you know, it's even blue! http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/EDL_Cpe
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 05-04-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast