Thread: External LED's & blinker relay mod

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

External LED's & blinker relay mod

I gave this a whirl while using directions for the relay mod I found while doing a search. Had to use a tiny drill bit to create a hole where the slot is, in two spots for the legs to go through.

DSCN3362.jpg

I pulled the 1156 LED bulbs from my R32 to experiment with (Brake, blinker, running).

DSCN3348.jpg

The results were very nice initially, being brighter than stock with nice dispersion, & a nice flasher cadence. I took a short ride, used the turn signals 4 or 5 different times, & then the modified relay stopped working. It now either locks up, or does a single or double flash & locks up. Shortly after that there's a noise from what sounds to be behind the instrument cluster that sounds like a buzzing relay having a fit. The noise is probably coming from the relay location under the hood. I'm also just learning to solder & desolder. It wasn't the neatest job, but I thought if there was a short it just wouldn't work. I need to pull that relay, take it out of the case, & see if the issue is visible.

- - - Updated - - -

I went for a drive & they were working again. Same scenario as before. Then they froze again. I went into the store, & by the time I came back out (10-15 minutes) they were working again. Off to another store. They froze up again, then worked again after sitting 15-20 minutes. I started to shorten up on the blinking times, 3 to 5 flashes & then turn them off. That seemed to stop the freezing. Could this be some kind of thermal issue?
    Last edited by spacecowboy; 03-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    I'm not quite sure what the diode does for this circuit or how it's connected.
    Usually you have to install resistors in series with turn signal bulbs when converting to LEDs, since the LEDs don't draw enough current to activate the flasher module.
    It sounds more like a short circuit. Maybe the diode leads are touching something. Maybe the work around the bulbs exacerbated an bad wire or something. Maybe one of the LED bulbs is defective.
    The LEDs use far less current than incandescent bulbs, so over-heating anything seems unlikely.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    I did this mod in 2014 and have had no issues at all. Did you just install the LED's at the rear of the car? if so you also have to change the fronts as well.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
    I'm not quite sure what the diode does for this circuit or how it's connected.
    Usually you have to install resistors in series with turn signal bulbs when converting to LEDs, since the LEDs don't draw enough current to activate the flasher module.
    It sounds more like a short circuit. Maybe the diode leads are touching something. Maybe the work around the bulbs exacerbated an bad wire or something. Maybe one of the LED bulbs is defective.
    The LEDs use far less current than incandescent bulbs, so over-heating anything seems unlikely.
    The area I question, in red, didn't clean up well with a bulb type desoldering iron.

Attachment 567881

This is a closeup of that area before desoldering. I don't have an image of the after soldering, but it was ugly. LOL The solder may be making contact with that darker green area above the solder. It's hard to tell even under a magnifier.

Attachment 567885

Quote Originally Posted by Z3 M Roadster View Post
    I did this mod in 2014 and have had no issues at all. Did you just install the LED's at the rear of the car? if so you also have to change the fronts as well.
    I haven't done the complete front yet because I wanted to test it with the bulbs on hand. I did the 194 type bulbs in the front, not the 1157 type turn signals in the headlights. I also didn't do the 194 type bulb side-markers in the taillights yet.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    They haven't locked up again. I've been letting them flash a little longer each time. I did order the rest of the bulbs this evening. The 1157's for the headlight turn signals, the 194's for the tail light side markers, & the 194's for the 3rd brake light.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Received the latest batch of LED's this afternoon. The TS & 3rd brake light are bright. I had an issue with the 194's in the corner of the tail lights. One has melted the surrounding area causing the old bulb to weld itself to the plastic. I was able to break it into pieces & shop vac it out, then use a drill bit to cut the distorted plastic by hand. It's good enough for a stock bulb, but not quite wide enough for an LED.

The 3rd brake light install required me to disassemble the 3rd brake light & use a Unibit on it to clearance the holes for warm white LED's. I had to use a bigger Unibit on the hole for the back-up light. I'm using a 1156 size LED for that in cool white.

The only thing left to do is test fit for the license plate cool white LED's & enlarge the holes for the rear tail light corner marker.

Here's the color difference between warm white & cool white.

Attachment 568833

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Incandescent 1157 versus 1157 LED.

DSCN3376 (Copy).JPG

Part numbers.

DSCN3377 (Copy).JPG

Warm white 194 LED's.

DSCN3380 (Copy).JPG

My Cars
    '00Z3MC,'10e91, 76-2002
    for Blacklane:

The hazard relay in OP post originally had a single wire "resistor" which was unsoldered by spacecowboy and a diode with greater resistance (Shottky 8A diode) was installed. (First picture in OP) This eliminates the need for individual load resistors when adding LED bulbs in the turn/brake lighting.

Reference post from other site:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=diode&page=2

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I modified my blinker relay last year sometime (I think) and have been using it with all LED turn signals successfully. I am using different LEDs, though. All of mine are by JDMASTAR via Amazon. I have no complaints other than the cruise control and other blinking issues associated with using LEDs in place of incandescents.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I purchased 2 drill bits last night, 7/16 & 15/32. Cleaned the hole with the 7/16, & then followed up carefully with the 15/32. The 194 LED's now have enough clearance to fit in the corner marker position of the rear tail lights. There's some slight rubbing through the paint & primer underneath the tail lights, in towards the license plate. I cleaned the area & are currently treating it with Extend rust treatment. Nothing major, just 2 very small spots. I have some thin clear plastic stickers, that's not the right name, but it's like what you would place between a tabletop & a piece of glass. They will be a buffer between the paint & tail light so that it doesn't happen again.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhed View Post
    for Blacklane:

The hazard relay in OP post originally had a single wire "resistor" which was unsoldered by spacecowboy and a diode with greater resistance (Shottky 8A diode) was installed. (First picture in OP) This eliminates the need for individual load resistors when adding LED bulbs in the turn/brake lighting.

Reference post from other site:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=diode&page=2
    That's really cool. Thanks for clarifying.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I'm not happy with the output of the front side markers. I ordered a pair of the amber JDM ASTAR 18 LED 194 bulbs to replace the ones in there now. The license plate LED's are on back order. Figures that would happen after I forgot to order them. LOL The flashers haven't locked up since 3/26.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    These are what I used for my signals:

Front: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extr...jdm+astar+1157

Side: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extr...4+led+jdmastar

Rear: http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extr...tar+1156+amber

All of these are very bright. Maybe inappropriately so.
    Did you have to add resistors to make the turn signals flash correctly with these bulbs? Interestingly, the front bulb mentions them, but the rears don't!

Marty

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    This is an image of what I ordered.

JDM 194.png
    Last edited by spacecowboy; 04-14-2016 at 04:20 AM.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Did you have to add resistors to make the turn signals flash correctly with these bulbs? Interestingly, the front bulb mentions them, but the rears don't!

Marty
    No. Modifying the blinker relay eliminates the need for resistors.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The newest 194 LED's arrived this morning. They appear to be 3x brighter than the old 5 LED versions in daylight. I think I'll order some more, at least 2 more for the front fender turn signals. Possibly 4 more for the R32.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The latest order arrived. The JDM ASTAR 194's are now installed in the front fender side turn signals & are quite bright. These are the brightest amber 194's I've found yet. More than bright enough behind smoked lenses. Highly recommended.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    The natural white 194's arrived for the license plate. They were on back-order for a couple of weeks. That's the last of it. Very happy with the results.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Hello ! i would like to revive this thread !

installed new led brake lights reverse lights and turn signals, the turn signals sometimes stay turned on, sometimes it'll flash.. sometimes to fast, sometimes it will flash once then freeze on one side.

if someones can point me out to some led relay that i can install that would be much appreciated ! i've been on a search !