Thread: Ghost Shift Interlock 740 1996/04 M62 - Transmission Fail Safe nightmare

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia

Ghost Shift Interlock 740 1996/04 M62 - Transmission Fail Safe nightmare

Hi people, with the latest 740 purchase some E38 electrical gremlins were included in the price tag. Got to love it.

As per the subject, the IKE is displaying 'Transmission Fail Safe'. I've come across a few older threads bringing up the same issue of a ghost shift interlock. INPA is declaring a short circuit of the shift interlock solenoid switch located at the gear shifter assembly.

This is where the ghost comes in, as the solenoid wasn't fitted until fall of 1996, while my car was assembled in April of 1996.

The EGS ECU I have exchanged with another unit which didn't solve the problem. So I changed back to the original EGS unit.

Other people have written they solved it by 'giving the computer what it wants' - a solenoid or a substitute like a 5W light bulb, in my case I've prepared a resistor. So I'm digging around the main console looking for a two cable connector tucked away in there. Other owners have written the connectors / cables would be there although not connected to a solenoid. So far no luck of finding it.

Anyone solved it? Or can give tips what colors the two cables are having for the connector? Where in along the shifter assembly / main console the cable could be tucked away? Or if there is no connector in my car, how I would go about solving the issue. Connect via the EGS ECU, tranny?

Here's a pic of the solenoid connector end, based on the PN shown in realoem for cars produced 1996/08 and onwards I believe. It shows the design of the connector I should be looking for.

I guess I should note that the tranny appears to behave like normal. All gears engage and does so smoothly. Gear 1 does not show in the IKE however. Pixel error or other I'm note sure.IMAG4122.jpg

Inputs would be great.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    FWIW, I think fault code 2 may be misleading and a symptom of an unusual failure within the EGS. It might be useful if you confirmed what INPA says about the fault when you install the replacement EGS. Does it still confirm a short circuit? If your replacement is from a later car, it will be expecting a solenoid to be there and of course you haven't got one. So it may need to be added or programmed out.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    FWIW, I think fault code 2 may be misleading and a symptom of an unusual failure within the EGS. It might be useful if you confirmed what INPA says about the fault when you install the replacement EGS. Does it still confirm a short circuit? If your replacement is from a later car, it will be expecting a solenoid to be there and of course you haven't got one. So it may need to be added or programmed out.
    Valid point, thank you for the reply. The same error was present in INPA with the replacement unit. (Codes cleared, and returned.) The unit came from a BMW 540 built 1996/03 which according to realoem does not use a shift lock solenoid.

The exact message from INPA is 'Solenoid Valve Shift-Lock' - Open Circuit. Sporadic error, Replacement function active, Error present.

I figured the replacement unit had defaulted to a later program as my unit. But perhaps it could be indicative of another fault. Any ideas of that?

I need help with finding the connector, and the cables colors, for the shift lock solenoid, if such exist in my car. Or I am totally lost as to the next steps.

Happy Easter!

I have NCS Export installed, is there a guide to program out the trans failsafe code? Could be a last resort.
    Last edited by 1up; 03-26-2016 at 05:51 AM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    You can find the wire colours in the diagrams below. I think the solenoid is Y19. From pin 53 of the EGS you have one brown and violet wire which splits into two at connection X8073. The brown and violet wire goes on to Y19 and the other wire (violet only) goes to the shift unit. Pin 2 of the EGS goes to X21. From there it will got to the other side of Y19.
    You can't program out trans failsafe. You have to fix the fault :-) Maybe double check what INPA said? - there is a big difference between short circuit and open circuit. If your gearbox is working normally this is something you don't need to rush. Link to diagrams is below but I could not find one without the solenoid:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/index.htm
    Note: That link will probably say the java version you are using is wrong. Just change the settings so it is allowed

FWIW. I still think the EGS is the problem. Have a good Easter too
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 03-26-2016 at 07:22 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    You can find the wire colours in the diagrams below. I think the solenoid is Y19. From pin 53 of the EGS you have one brown and violet wire which splits into two at connection X8073. The brown and violet wire goes on to Y19 and the other wire (violet only) goes to the shift unit. Pin 2 of the EGS goes to X21. From there it will got to the other side of Y19.
    You can't program out trans failsafe. You have to fix the fault :-) Maybe double check what INPA said? - there is a big difference between short circuit and open circuit. If your gearbox is working normally this is something you don't need to rush. Link to diagrams is below but I could not find one without the solenoid:

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/index.htm
    Note: That link will probably say the java version you are using is wrong. Just change the settings so it is allowed

FWIW. I still think the EGS is the problem. Have a good Easter too

Thanks for the reply. I Will take a look. Valuable With the wire diagrams and pinouts. I didnt find the connector under the center console. No apparant violet wire. I found one connector with two cables whcih were tucked away brown and violet/red if my memory serves me. Wrong connector design to fit the solenoid connector shown in the pixturr and too short wire to reach to it as well. I will attach a photo during tomorrow.

perhaps this info is helpful in locating the error. The trans failsafe gongs and shows in the ike each time more or less the brake pedal is pressed. With shifter in park or drive doesnt matter. I saw from the previous owners ervice history a brake sensor/switch was replaced max a few years ago. Could this be related?

Advice is very welcome.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    The wiring diagrams don't cover Euro models so look at how the N American one works. The EGS supplies a + voltage to the valve body and shift lock solenoid from pin 53. The return wire from the shift lock solenoid arrives at pin 2. If the EGS doesn't see that voltage, it will throw code 2. When the brake is pressed, the EGS grounds pin 2 and the solenoid is activated. But Euro cars didn't get the shift lock until after 1995 and we managed fine without it until then :-) I don't think it is a coincidence that Realoem confirms the EGS type for your car (and ZA cars) is NG whereas the N American type is NH. Maybe check if pin 2 is getting a +voltage and if it is grounded when you press the brake?
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 03-28-2016 at 05:09 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    The wiring diagrams don't cover Euro models so look at how the N American one works. The EGS supplies a + voltage to the valve body and shift lock solenoid from pin 53. The return wire from the shift lock solenoid arrives at pin 2. If the EGS doesn't see that voltage, it will throw code 2. When the brake is pressed, the EGS grounds pin 2 and the solenoid is activated. But Euro cars didn't get the shift lock until after 1995 and we managed fine without it until then :-) I don't think it is a coincidence that Realoem confirms the EGS type for your car (and ZA cars) is NG whereas the N American type is NH. Maybe check if pin 2 is getting a +voltage and if it is grounded when you press the brake?
    Thanks man, I will try that. The egs unit is designated ng btw.

Will take some time to update the progress. It is worth the effort though, she is one good running motor dressed in petrol-mica metallic.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    The second connector tucked away in the center console. If anyone could disagree and say this is the one to hook up to to simulate the shift-interlock I wouldn't mind. The wire colors aren't true to the NA spec. electrical system though according to above.

Brown & red/violet cables. Was trying to capture the part number on the sucker but the camera didn't quite manage.

93a5384c-9e5e-498d-b312-24b129a5b7a4.jpg

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Brown on its own is normally permanent ground so that should be easy to check. Only sure way is connect a line to the appropriate EGS pin and see if you get continuity round the loop. Is the connector a 3 pin? Diagrams say 1 is live from EGS, 3 is grounded by EGS as required. Pin 2 doesn't appear to be used.

BTW. Any faults in the cluster?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    Thanks.

It's a two-pin.

IKE? It has missing pixels. Since, or by other causes, I fiddled with the center console and wires to the shifter, gear 1 and 5 does not light up. Upon moving the stick left to enter Sport instead of Drive mode, D and S is shown at the same time. Until manual mode is selected.

I have tried to reach the check control module via INPA to read out all codes since not all can be read due to the pixel errors, and gets no connection. All other modules appear to be responding fine.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    You will have read the same things I have. This problem only seems to occur on early 1996 Euro (528i,740i,840i) cars which have step fitted but no shift lock. It has even baffled some dealers. The only solutions appear to have been to replace the EGS with a new one coded correctly or fit the solenoid. I'd suggest the problem is due to an issue with the EGS software. Have you thought of recoding with Progman?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I would recommend coding the EGS with the correct program rather than putting in a hardware hack, as it is the more correct solution, and is free.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    You will have read the same things I have. This problem only seems to occur on early 1996 Euro (528i,740i,840i) cars which have step fitted but no shift lock. It has even baffled some dealers. The only solutions appear to have been to replace the EGS with a new one coded correctly or fit the solenoid. I'd suggest the problem is due to an issue with the EGS software. Have you thought of recoding with Progman?
    Yepp. It's a bugger. Sure, only I'd need a new computer, setup the software and get a decent battery charger. Alltogether, I will check with BMW what they'd charge for an EGS software coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    I would recommend coding the EGS with the correct program rather than putting in a hardware hack, as it is the more correct solution, and is free.
    Thanks psjr for the comment. I like the idea too. Only thing is I would need a new computer and install progman plus buy a battery charger. I wouldn't mind a solenoid substitute this considered. That said, I'd rather fiddle with software than digging into the center console though with the apparant risk of messing up 20 year old stale wires further.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 1up View Post
    Yepp. It's a bugger. Sure, only I'd need a new computer, setup the software and get a decent battery charger. Alltogether, I will check with BMW what they'd charge for an EGS software coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks psjr for the comment. I like the idea too. Only thing is I would need a new computer and install progman plus buy a battery charger. I wouldn't mind a solenoid substitute this considered. That said, I'd rather fiddle with software than digging into the center console though with the apparant risk of messing up 20 year old stale wires further.
    As long as your battery is GOOD, you can get through a module flash without losing enough voltage to hurt anything.

If you have PROGMAN or WINFKP, you can try loading the latest, correct version of the EGS program and see if it makes any improvement.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    As long as your battery is GOOD, you can get through a module flash without losing enough voltage to hurt anything.

If you have PROGMAN or WINFKP, you can try loading the latest, correct version of the EGS program and see if it makes any improvement.
    I'd be very reluctant to program anything without a power supply unit. IIRC, you need about 80amps and 13.8v. and that when programming it should not fall below 13v. FWIW, I have had good batteries lose charge at a rate of knots when just running a diagnostic. So whenever possible I keep the engine running. This thread might be worth a look:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...SSS-and-WinKFP

My Cars
    1995 BMW 750 ia
    Thanks. I agree about the importance of the current when updating ECUs. I've got a 100 AMP battery so it is a good start. But to be safe should always hook it up to a charger unit. Incomplete or failed ECU flashes could cause a bit a of a nightmare I'm sure.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    My e46 got new DME flash and EGS flash without a charger or supply hooked up. Battery voltage only drop 1/10th of a volt during the whole process. I kept an eye on it because I was worried about it too.

And it was all done by Paul (BlackKnight530i), who is very, VERY well versed in programming and flashing any of these cars.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Not saying it cannot be done. I am saying that some of us may be slower at doing it. In view of the voltage drops I get just doing a diagnostic, I wouldn't want to risk bricking a module.

My Cars
    2007 BMW M5 E61
    1up - Did you found the problem which made it go into trans fail safe? and if you did, what did you do to get rid of it?
    I have the same problem on my E38 740i from 1996 and the transmission works perfect, pretty annoying.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    This is a problem we are seeing more with the E31 8-Series, especially the later V8 models. The problem is caused initially by low voltage - the EGS does some strange stuff including writing its own option coding, which includes the presence or absence of a shift-lock solenoid. Once this has been done it expects a shift-lock solenoid and bungs up TRANS FAIL-SAFE PROG if there isn't one. These days, on the pre-facelift cars, it is cheap and easy to find a replacement EGS from a scrappy. As long as you get one from the same year and model you will have no problems swapping it over.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2007 BMW M5 E61
    Hi Timm,
    Thank you very much for the help. I will try to get one already tomorrow and a new strong batteri as well, so this don't happen again.

My Cars
    E23 732i E38 740 Z3 3.0
    I have the same problem on my 1996 740i E38 UK model. The car was laid up for 9 years. Amongst other things done, a new battery was fitted, as the previous one would run flat after about 1/2 days. This is what is coming up on the diagnostics:-
    Pressure -reg 5.curr.Min(appr.150mA)
    Pressure -reg 5.curr.Maxn(appr.750mA)
    Solenoid, shift lock disconnect earth
    Solenoid, shift lock switch earth
    As mine is 03/96, it doesn't have the 'shift solenoid' fitted, although it does have solenoids in the gearbox itself.
    Any help is appreciated.IMG_3233.jpg