Thread: [PICS] New Coolant Leak - Can't Identify Source

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il

[PICS] New Coolant Leak - Can't Identify Source

I just finished rebuilding the top end of the engine while doing the timing chain guides. Today after driving about 30 minute I noticed while parked at a store that about 8-12oz of coolant was on the ground behind the driver's side tire. Upon inspection back at my garage I see it dripping from a frame mounted bracket which doesn't appear to have any obvious coolant hoses (or related) near or above it. I'm completely at a loss.

Please help me identify possible sources for the coolant leak.

PIC 1: Here you can see a drop of coolant on the edge of a shield covering below the exhaust manifold. Although I can see it here, it'll mostly drip from the small hole on the black curved frame bar to the left in the picture. I had wiped it away clean before the pic so I know it's a little hard to see the source.

PIC 2: Here's a better picture of the two holes where I found coolant dripping. Again, when I first saw the coolant leak, I could see it actively dripping at a rate of about 1 drop per second, pretty active.

PIC 3: In this pic you can see the coolant where it's dropped on the garage floor. There are two leaks in this picture, please only focus on the larger of the two. The other leak will be addressed in a different thread. You can see it's directly above that black curved frame bar you saw in the above two pics.
    1999 BMW 740il 137k

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il

[PICS] Leak from Transmission Bellhousing Torque Converter Hole/Opening

Unfortunately I can't tell what type of fluid this is. The picture below shows very clearly where it'll drip from. If I take a good look inside the transmission torque converter opening on the bottom of the transmission, I can see fluid if I look towards the rear of the car. Do torque converters leak like this, or is it something else?

1999 BMW 740il 137k

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Valley Pan? Rear Heater Hoses or Heater core (which are near the driver side area your describing)? Have you replaced any of those?

EDIT: Since it seems the leak is pretty active, that's actually in your favor. You could run the car, put on some latex gloves then feel around the back of the engine and see what's wet?
    Last edited by aom7; 03-23-2016 at 11:06 PM.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
    Valley Pan? Rear Heater Hoses or Heater core (which are near the driver side area your describing)? Have you replaced any of those?

EDIT: Since it seems the leak is pretty active, that's actually in your favor. You could run the car, put on some latex gloves then feel around the back of the engine and see what's wet?
    I just replaced the valley pan and all gaskets on the rear accumulator pipe, as well as the o-rings on the pipes below the intake. I'll check the rear accumulator pipe gasket again. What about the rear engine coolant gasket?
    1999 BMW 740il 137k

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    My money is on one of the coolant hoses back there. I've replaced them on every E38 I've had contact with.

- - - Updated - - -

Merged threads.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    If it was the rear accumulator due to an improperly seated gasket, it would be pouring coolant... ask me how I know. :/

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    MY money is it being the A/C drains and is normal behavior! Switch the A/C off for a while and see if it stops dripping.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Those O-rings in the rear coolant accumulator can be fussy and are an obvious weak point even if they were just replaced. Could be any of the previously mentioned things though. A pressure test is key. I made my own rudimentary tester and it works great:

I suspect that drip from the bell housing is residual oil from leaky valve cover gaskets. I had the same thing on mine after I finished the guides, and was worried it was the rear main seal, but the drip went away and is now dry. I'd age that one and keep tabs on it.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Those O-rings in the rear coolant accumulator can be fussy and are an obvious weak point even if they were just replaced. Could be any of the previously mentioned things though. A pressure test is key. I made my own rudimentary tester and it works great:

I suspect that drip from the bell housing is residual oil from leaky valve cover gaskets. I had the same thing on mine after I finished the guides, and was worried it was the rear main seal, but the drip went away and is now dry. I'd age that one and keep tabs on it.
    Write up on that pressure tester you built?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740il
    So this morning I went to the garage and found that no coolant had leaked since the car sat overnight. I reached behind the driver's head and put a blue shop towel under the coolant accumulator and found nothing, came out clean and dry.

Also, residual oil under the bellhousing from the rebuild can't be true for me. I never have a valve cover leak. The car has been driven about 100mi since the rebuild and without the bottom engine cover on, so any oil dripping won't be from 100 miles before.

I'm feeling more and more sad that it might be the rear engine coolant gasket. I took apart the rear intake OSV diaphragm for now, so I'll test the coolant leak again when I get the new diaphragm.
    1999 BMW 740il 137k

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Write up on that pressure tester you built?
    I just drilled through the center of a radiator cap from the junkyard and installed an old tire valve. In order to install the valve I needed to pop off the threaded part to cut the insides out a bit, and shave down the tire valve to get it all back together. I'll do a write up with pix if I have a few mins on Saturday. Pretty handy and was free.

Umuzidan, you'll get it. Just going to be a bit of a battle.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    My gf's 540 has that leak at the bell housing. It looks like the fluid is coming from the transmission on her car. Either the input shaft seal or after talking to Eriksson transmission, they said sometimes the bell housing mounting holes on the front of the transmission have casting porosities that leak. I'm just watching it. Not leaking fast enough to worry about yet.

The coolant leak is tough. My best way of finding coolant leaks is with a very very bright flashlight. You are going to have to climb all over that engine, especially to see in the back.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    My gf's 540 has that leak at the bell housing. It looks like the fluid is coming from the transmission on her car. Either the input shaft seal or after talking to Eriksson transmission, they said sometimes the bell housing mounting holes on the front of the transmission have casting porosities that leak. I'm just watching it. Not leaking fast enough to worry about yet.

The coolant leak is tough. My best way of finding coolant leaks is with a very very bright flashlight. You are going to have to climb all over that engine, especially to see in the back.
    I believe my 98 is leaking at the rear coolant gasket which I had replaced when the trans was replaced a few years back... I need to ad coolant every once in a while but there's no way im pulling the trans back out of that car...

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    I just drilled through the center of a radiator cap from the junkyard and installed an old tire valve. In order to install the valve I needed to pop off the threaded part to cut the insides out a bit, and shave down the tire valve to get it all back together. I'll do a write up with pix if I have a few mins on Saturday. Pretty handy and was free.

Umuzidan, you'll get it. Just going to be a bit of a battle.
    It should be noted for anyone wanting to try this that you need to turn your air compressor regulator down to the same pressure seen by the coolant system... which on the e38's I'm hoping someone can chime in with a PSI/bar

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    It should be noted for anyone wanting to try this that you need to turn your air compressor regulator down to the same pressure seen by the coolant system... which on the e38's I'm hoping someone can chime in with a PSI/bar
    I have a tire filler (like at the gas station) attachment for my compressor, and pumped it to 21 psi (1.5 bar). Surprised how much air it took to get it that high. Once I filled it I monitored the pressure with a tire pressure tester.

Before I got it to hold air it was really easy to find where it was leaking - you could hear it quite plainly, and I sprayed a little soapy water to verify.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    I have a tire filler (like at the gas station) attachment for my compressor, and pumped it to 21 psi (1.5 bar). Surprised how much air it took to get it that high. Once I filled it I monitored the pressure with a tire pressure tester.

Before I got it to hold air it was really easy to find where it was leaking - you could hear it quite plainly, and I sprayed a little soapy water to verify.
    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had the need to pressurize my system since everything is new but didn't want someone to be stupid and dump 90psi of air and wonder why things are leaking.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't had the need to pressurize my system since everything is new but didn't want someone to be stupid and dump 90psi of air and wonder why things are leaking.
    I'd do a pressure test after reassembly but before refilling if I did another cooling system overhaul.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Wish the OP finished the story by mentioning where the leak was. It could help others (me?) years down the road (now in 2020) and others in the future.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    I've developed the same center/rear of engine leak.

I don't smell/see coolant when at temperature in or out of the car (but leaking fluid is green, feels like coolant and the coolant level drops).
    Noticed it my parking garage with the car parked cross-wise to the slope (a trail of coolant about 3' long).
    Noticed it less when parked flat.
    I've looked around once with a flashlight. I can see a few drops of coolant on the rear of the block but can't (yet) pinpoint the leak source.
    The leak is fairly small, it takes about a week for the check coolant light to come on (but I have a short commute).

Grady