Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M Roadster Cup holder/center console

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster

M Roadster Cup holder/center console

Hi all. I am a new owner of a '99 M Roadster. Overall it is in pretty good condition, but I am just trying to fix a lot of the small interior issues to keep myself sane while driving it. One of these small issues is my cup holder/console behind the shifter. The one in this car appears to have a rectangular compartment with a lid (that is mostly broken) towards the front and then two open cup holders in the back. The cup holders appear to have had a lid at one point, which is MIA.

From my search of the internets, it seems like the back section of the center consoles in these cars look entirely different than mine is set up. It doesn't look like any of the options on realoem.com. Do you guys have photos of what your center consoles look like? Also - were there multiple types of these consoles depending on options packages?

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Welcome to the forum!
    I don't have one myself, and planning to buy one from https://www.leatherz.com/collections...e-storage-base
    There are lots of photos there to compare.
    Last edited by doclip; 04-24-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Correct leatherz link

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I find the cup holder portion of the insert mostly useless (blocks your arm while shifting with anything in there), and I've never figured out what the little cubby is used for in front of the cup holder. I use it to store small trim clips and screws as I always seem to have a project or two ongoing.

But, the armrest sure is nice!

IMG_0577.jpg
    Last edited by s8ilver; 03-22-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Thanks for the info! So it seems like there are a few different options for these storage consoles.

My Cars
    z3
    OP sounds like you are describing the standard armrest but yours is missing the rear lid. I think they are called the mk1 armrest. Im selling an intact one now, but there are lots of options

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    I've tried the leatherz armrest and returned it. I hated the differences in height between the door armrest and the LeatherZ cupholder armrest because when you use both at the same time your shoulders are out of alignment. I much prefer to rest my arm by the ebrake handle.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I'm very happy with LeathzerZ armrest with cupholder and large base (as pictured in earlier post). Bought even original bmw cup for it, as usual cups don't fit right and shifting gears with cup inside is not an issue for me.

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    I have the hinged LeatherZ armrest in my 96' and LOVE it! I was so used to not having an armrest that for the first couple of months I had it installed, I never used it. Once I got used to it being there, I absolutely love it. Now I just have to get one for my 98' and I'll be a totally happy little camper!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    I have looked at the arms rests a couple of times. Can you still get easy access to the electric top buttons at the rear of the consol or does the arm rest get int the way?
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mreloc View Post
    I've tried the leatherz armrest and returned it. I hated the differences in height between the door armrest and the LeatherZ cupholder armrest because when you use both at the same time your shoulders are out of alignment. I much prefer to rest my arm by the ebrake handle.
    Ditto ... My car came with a cupholder w/ LeatherZ armrest installed. I found that the the armrest is too high, and put my should off kilter if I rested my elbow on it (maybe because I'm relatively short at 5'6"??). Hated it (in addition to the fact that the hinge was broken and rattled).

I took it out. Installed a coin holder (from Roadster Solutions - they call it "Storage Partition"). I then took a piece of wood and did some routing so it fit nicely into the remaining space and upholstered it with some black leather a friend gave me from a Honda Pilot center console. It's much lower than the LeatherZ bit and much more comfortable. Looks pretty good too - no cupholder, but the BMW cupholder is close to useless anyway.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    OP sounds like you are describing the standard armrest but yours is missing the rear lid. I think they are called the mk1 armrest. Im selling an intact one now, but there are lots of options
    Thanks. I think I am going to look around and see which one will work best. I like the idea of the cup holders in the rear, which seems to limit my options. I may end up hacking mine apart for the time being and see what I can make out of it.

I live in the land of traffic so I don't have much time to worry about resting my arm anyhow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dklay View Post
    Ditto ... My car came with a cupholder w/ LeatherZ armrest installed. I found that the the armrest is too high, and put my should off kilter if I rested my elbow on it (maybe because I'm relatively short at 5'6"??). Hated it (in addition to the fact that the hinge was broken and rattled).

I took it out. Installed a coin holder (from Roadster Solutions - they call it "Storage Partition"). I then took a piece of wood and did some routing so it fit nicely into the remaining space and upholstered it with some black leather a friend gave me from a Honda Pilot center console. It's much lower than the LeatherZ bit and much more comfortable. Looks pretty good too - no cupholder, but the BMW cupholder is close to useless anyway.

I like this set up a lot. I may hijack some of your ingenuity and modify a cup holder into the back of it. I primarily got this car as a commuter so I need somewhere to stash my caffeine in the AM.

Also that EB interior looks really clean! Mine is the same color but looks like it has seen a less privileged life.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    I have looked at the arms rests a couple of times. Can you still get easy access to the electric top buttons at the rear of the consol or does the arm rest get int the way?
    It really doesn't affect the access to the rear buttons in any major way.

Personally, I don't like looks of the armrest, so I deleted it in the M coupe. I have this cassette holder thing I can throw in the empty space to use as an armrest on road trips though, so I don't feel I lost any functionality. I've never found the cupholders to be of much use and I don't drink soda anyways, so I just carry a water bottle or two in the door pocket. Squishes in there nicely.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysars View Post
    I like this set up a lot. I may hijack some of your ingenuity and modify a cup holder into the back of it. I primarily got this car as a commuter so I need somewhere to stash my caffeine in the AM.

Also that EB interior looks really clean! Mine is the same color but looks like it has seen a less privileged life.
    Thank you. I like this setup also... when I drive the Z to work, I try to jack up on caffeine before leaving the house! The interior IS pretty clean, but you're not seeing the driver's side bolster wear here. And in spite of several Leatherique applications, the leather is definitely lacking in softness.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by dklay View Post
    Thank you. I like this setup also... when I drive the Z to work, I try to jack up on caffeine before leaving the house! The interior IS pretty clean, but you're not seeing the driver's side bolster wear here. And in spite of several Leatherique applications, the leather is definitely lacking in softness.
    My seats are pretty hard too - must just be the way it wears in. I have a handful of little scuffs and marks on the seats and other interior parts that I got some blue shoe polish to try to fill in and "fix". I will be happy if I can just get it all freshened up and get some of the blue back.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    This is the one I have and it works well with the cup holders at the rear, but it is no longer made. You may be able to find one on ebay if you like it.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    This is the one I have and it works well with the cup holders at the rear, but it is no longer made. You may be able to find one on ebay if you like it.

I think this is the one I have sans padding on top. My back lid is missing and the front doesn't stay on.

I like the set up of it out of all the ones I've seen. It's just had better days.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    The lids are held on with small "O" rings. Roadster Solutions has the add-on leather pads - http://www.roadstersolutions.com/product452.html

You could check with Roadster Solutions and/or Letherz. They both use to sell this type armrest and may have an extra rear lid laying around some place.

Edit:
    Just found this link - http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_accessories.htm

It has a phone number and says call for availability of these armrests (it may just be an old link, but who knows).

And here's one on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-OEM-A...wAAOSw5VFWL-27
    Last edited by khammack; 03-22-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by mreloc View Post
    The Mk2 armrest is exactly the same height as the door armrest. It puts your shoulders and elbows perfectly level.
    Jon Maddux

16 F15 X5d | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
    http://coupenut.blogspot.com/
    http://x5nut.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JonM View Post
    The Mk2 armrest is exactly the same height as the door armrest. It puts your shoulders and elbows perfectly level.
    True that. Love my MK2 armrest!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DBWard View Post
    True that. Love my MK2 armrest!
    +1. and if you get his pads for the door then your left arm won't go to sleep from being on the hard plastic.

Marty

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    My car came with a leather z armrest. It's a pos. I hate it. The front cup holder doesn't hold any beverage I've tried to put in it.

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    +1. and if you get his pads for the door then your left arm won't go to sleep from being on the hard plastic. Marty
    Did that too. Shadooobeeee!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDangles View Post
    My car came with a leather z armrest. It's a pos. I hate it. The front cup holder doesn't hold any beverage I've tried to put in it.
    The armrest is a POS or the cup holder? The cup holder is by BMW, not LeatherZ. I too hate the cup holder, but it does fit a Redbull can nicely (I quit drinking that stuff years ago but broke down out of necessity on my 1100 mile journey home when I bought my car). I'm going to retrofit my cup holder with my TPMS display or another gauge.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    The armrest is a POS or the cup holder? The cup holder is by BMW, not LeatherZ. I too hate the cup holder, but it does fit a Redbull can nicely (I quit drinking that stuff years ago but broke down out of necessity on my 1100 mile journey home when I bought my car). I'm going to retrofit my cup holder with my TPMS display or another gauge.
    I hate the cup holder. It doesn't hold poop. I don't drink red bull but I can see that fitting in there. But any normal drink doesn't fit. Not sure what it was meant to hold. Did cups grow in the last 15 years?

My Cars
    z3
    European style cups/soda cans are differently shaped, they are give or take red bull can shaped

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast