Thread: 1992 525i M50b25 enigine rebuild and race modification. Let's get everyone's input.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT

1992 525i M50b25 enigine rebuild and race modification. Let's get everyone's input.

The Car: 1992 525i M50B25 NonVanos

The Plan: I'm going to tear this engine apart and rebuild it into a racing platform. I want to stroke it out to 3.0 L and ad some forced induction to get some more power out of the car. ( Like in the 350+ BHP range) I want to pull all nonessential systems out of the car to lighten it down. I want to reinforce the chassis of the vehicle, mainly so I don't die. I plan on stripping out the interior of the car and going with a much less cushy set up.

What I've already done: I've just got done tearing out and replacing the suspension. I just bought a good manual transmission and will be installing it while the engine is out.

What I need from you: Information and names of who's the expert.

I will be filming this entire process and posting it to the youtubes, so future tuners will be able to see how it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

A little FYI. I work at a car parts recycling center and have huge access to parts for this project.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Why not start with an M52 or an S50?

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    I don't want the system to be Vanos. I want a more violent combustion

- - - Updated - - -

And s50 blocks are not cheap

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cgott91 View Post
    I don't want the system to be Vanos. I want a more violent combustion

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
    lucy!

- - - Updated - - -

I understand why that could be a better option, It's just any utter pain in the ass to get all the wiring right for a new engine. This option is more plug and play in the end. I know this engine fits with out rerouting systems.

- - - Updated - - -

The m50 block is stronger anyway.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    This project maybe scraped. I have an opportunity to buy the whole drive train out of an e46 M3, wiring harness, engine tranny and all. It would be so worth the extra work.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    This project maybe scraped. I have an opportunity to buy the whole drive train out of an e46 M3, wiring harness, engine tranny and all. It would be so worth the extra work.
    But the S54 has dual vanos, and you want a "more violent combustion"

My Cars
    1994 525i touring
    I would be very envious of an s54 swap. However if you do go with an m50nv and FI you are going to have a hard time getting the stock ECU tuned. Not really any options other than full standalone as far as I know.

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    While I love the E34, its not a good base to start building a track car from.
    Get an E36 325i, whack as turbo on it, bigger brakes, coilovers, LSD, stripped interior, bucket seats and a proper approved roll cage, lighter, better aftermarket support for most components.

sure its done to death, but for a good reason, great platform to start from.

Dont let that deter you, I love seeing E34's being built into track cars

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney85 View Post
    While I love the E34, its not a good base to start building a track car from.
    Get an E36 325i, whack as turbo on it, bigger brakes, coilovers, LSD, stripped interior, bucket seats and a proper approved roll cage, lighter, better aftermarket support for most components.

sure its done to death, but for a good reason, great platform to start from.

Dont let that deter you, I love seeing E34's being built into track cars
    I agree with you. It would be a much easier build. I'm just looking for something different. I think any E34 enthusiast would love to see one killing it on the track.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dgoodsy View Post
    I would be very envious of an s54 swap. However if you do go with an m50nv and FI you are going to have a hard time getting the stock ECU tuned. Not really any options other than full standalone as far as I know.
    The man with the S54 is being a pain with the price. He wants rebuilt engine price for something he can't even show me starts. He says it was working great before he hit a tree.
    As I see it I have to options for the ECU/DME if I decide to keep my current engine. Either a stand alone or a miller war chip.
    I also have a wrecked 95 740i at work. Engine runs, but I don't know how I feel about V8s. I've seen people get awesome power after a E85 conversion and a good tune. Maybe if I ad some 6 psi turbos to that set up I can break the 550 bhp range. The yard quoted me a very tempting price too. Not to mention it'll fit my chasis.

- - - Updated - - -

20160322_164701.jpg
    I also found some staggered rims at the yard. They have a nasty paint job, but I've resurfaced rims before. They're 18x10's and 18x9s. I had to use spacers so i'm not sure if I'll run them or sell them.
    Last edited by cgott91; 03-24-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    1994 525i touring
    The man with the S54 is being a pain with the price. He wants rebuilt engine price for something he can't even show me starts. He says it was working great before he hit a tree.
    As I see it I have to options for the ECU/DME if I decide to keep my current engine. Either a stand alone or a miller war chip.
    Miller war chip does not work with m50, only tu motors IIRC.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Miller war chip does not work with m50, only tu motors IIRC.
    sad face.
    Could i use the ecu and wiring harness off another car and tune that?

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions on a stand alone?

My Cars
    1994 525i touring
    Yep, m50tu (or OBD1 m52/s52). really the benefits of vanos on a turbo engine far outweigh the drawbacks. I'm not sure what you mean about non vanos engines being a more violent in combustion, or how thats a good thing. The m50tu and harness is a simple swap as far as I konw, but you will have to search (the forums AND/OR electrical schematics) for the details on it. Then your tuning options open up (sort of). There are a handful of people that can send a chip for the 413 DME (m50tu ecu), you could get a Miller WARchip or burn your own chips if you know how. (I don't but have read of a few people who do). I'm not really very familiar with standalone options but I don't think there are many plug and play options for an m50tu (maybe VEMS, and it looks like megasquirt will be a plug and play option soon). I don't know what is available for plug and play non vanos m50, but if you are open to doing your own wiring and/or building your own standalone then there aren't many limits on which standalone you can start with.

An OBD2 m52/s52 swap is also an option and then you have pretty much the same options as OBD1 for off the shelf tunes or you can flash/tune your own DME with a cable and a laptop and free software, no chip burner required.

I should clarify that i'm not experienced nor do I think I'm knowledgeable when it comes to ECU or standalone stuff as most of it is greek to me, but I have learned a little bit about the options from perusing the forced induction section of this forum. You would likely get more info there if you are really serious.

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Ok then.... "search" is your friend... no really....
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Yep, m50tu (or OBD1 m52/s52). really the benefits of vanos on a turbo engine far outweigh the drawbacks. I'm not sure what you mean about non vanos engines being a more violent in combustion, or how thats a good thing. The m50tu and harness is a simple swap as far as I konw, but you will have to search (the forums AND/OR electrical schematics) for the details on it. Then your tuning options open up (sort of). There are a handful of people that can send a chip for the 413 DME (m50tu ecu), you could get a Miller WARchip or burn your own chips if you know how. (I don't but have read of a few people who do). I'm not really very familiar with standalone options but I don't think there are many plug and play options for an m50tu (maybe VEMS, and it looks like megasquirt will be a plug and play option soon). I don't know what is available for plug and play non vanos m50, but if you are open to doing your own wiring and/or building your own standalone then there aren't many limits on which standalone you can start with.

An OBD2 m52/s52 swap is also an option and then you have pretty much the same options as OBD1 for off the shelf tunes or you can flash/tune your own DME with a cable and a laptop and free software, no chip burner required.

I should clarify that i'm not experienced nor do I think I'm knowledgeable when it comes to ECU or standalone stuff as most of it is greek to me, but I have learned a little bit about the options from perusing the forced induction section of this forum. You would likely get more info there if you are really serious.
    I guess I need to do my research and re-figure this thing out. I've seen somewhere that a you can put certain heads on the m50b25 block. but i'm going to have to do more research. This will be fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GGray View Post
    Ok then.... "search" is your friend... no really....
    You mean that magic thing in the top right corner? I'm familiar.
    I was just spit balling man. No need to be condescending.

My Cars
    E34
    I'll leave this here for motivation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 762Armo View Post
    I'll leave this here for motivation.
    By the beard of Zeus. Who made this? It's beautiful.

My Cars
    E34
    Guys over in Europe.
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/07/...mance-bmw-e34/

its been on my mind to do this as well.
    So far, I feel bad about hacking up my complete car.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 1999 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 762Armo View Post
    Guys over in Europe.
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/07/...mance-bmw-e34/

its been on my mind to do this as well.
    So far, I feel bad about hacking up my complete car.
    My car was in piss poor shape when I got it. So I don't feel bad at all. I paid 500. The body was dinged up bad, the interior is trashed. The drive train was good, that's the only reason I paid 500. PM and I'll give the run down on my final plan.

My Cars
    '92 BMW 535i/5 Lazurblua
    What's the news? Just buying one almost the same

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkanda View Post
    What's the news?
    LOL you don't seriously think someone who wants "violent combustion" finished a build? It probably went to the crusher.

Thanks for bumping though, hilarious thread.

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1994 540i6
    ^ lol yep good morning laugh

The garage is so organized I can see him going far in racing.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    LOL you don't seriously think someone who wants "violent combustion" finished a build? It probably went to the crusher.

Thanks for bumping though, hilarious thread.
    VANOS is too complicated and cool.

Me no want.