Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine harmonic sound (wrup...wrup...wrup...wrup)

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
    I would be furious with the shop that diagnosed this car....Spending thousands on rod bearing replacement and that's not the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I had my friend listen to the video, and I trust him 100% with my car. He suggested: remove the accessory belts and repeat to see if it's bearing related (Alt, water pump, etc.). Also, out of balance or failed dual mass flywheel can cause noise and vibration.

Same advice I was given.. Was hoping the weather would cooperate since I don't have a carport or garage.
    From what I have experienced, spun bearings have a tink-tink or knock associated with it.. Whoever sold you on the spun bearing analysis without pulling your drive belts first should be ashamed of themselves.
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    2000 e39 M5
    Update...Great news. No more wrup/wrup/wrup sound. Should have dialed in on bigmitch117's original post.

At any rate...I found a thread on "m5.com" titled "Anyone solve the 3k Vibration?" http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ration-16.html

Thread is 36 pages long...Finally on page 16 a contributor named koolmofo posted a video very similar to the one that I posted. The video shows a vibration sound (wrup/wrup/wrup) occurring at just over 2K RPMs. A second contributor name nightkrawler used a stethoscope to isolate the sound to the oil filter housing. I used nightkrawler's troubleshooting process to verify the sound was coming from the oil filter housing.

Engine off then disconnect the oil filter housing from the firewall mounting bracket and let it hang. I used several rags to isolate it away from the mounting bracket and firewall. Start engine and slowly load to just above 2K RPMs. The wrup/wrup/wrup sound was completely gone. Reattached oil filter housing to mounting bracket. Sound reappears.

In my case, someone prior to me had replaced the stock rubber isolation mounts with two E10 screws and two rubber grommets sandwiched between the oil filter housing and the mount. I called the local BMW stealer to price out the stock mounts. Believe it or not the guy quoted me $47 each. I don't mind spending money on the M5 but that is absolutely ridiculous. BavAuto and other BMW parts sites sell them for about $25 each. That's better but...

Turns out that McMaster Carr sells proper rubber vibration isolation mounts for less than $2 each and they deliver for free. I bought four of them, two for the oil filter housing and two for the power steering reservoir. Ordered them a ¼ inch wider than the stock ones just to add a bit more rubber isolation material.

Following are the McMaster Carr part numbers:
    Oil filter housing
    9217K35 - Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, M6 Thread, 3/4" High, 1" Wide

Power steering reservoir
    9217K34 - Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, M6 Thread, 1/2" High, 1" Wide

My Cars
    1996 m3 coupe
    Nice. Glad to hear you finally sorted it out!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 e36 328is 5 speed
    Congrats and lets see some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -CJ

1996 e36 328is 5 speed. Boston green clean and stock.
    1997 540i/6 sport with chrome trim and prefacelift headlights
    Sold

My Cars
    2000 e39 M5
    Sorry no photos. Continue to get error when attempting to post photos.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    Do you guys get a vibration through your steering wheel also?
    Fairly common E39 issue...90% chance it's your Traction/Thrust Arm Bushings. Go to Rouge Engineering for a permanent fix...or replace with X5 (first time fix) or like I did recently (since the X5 TAB's failed after 100k+), PowerFlex Track Black.

OP...great detective work!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by MihaNina View Post
    Update...Great news. No more wrup/wrup/wrup sound. Should have dialed in on bigmitch117's original post.

At any rate...I found a thread on "m5.com" titled "Anyone solve the 3k Vibration?" http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ration-16.html

Thread is 36 pages long...Finally on page 16 a contributor named koolmofo posted a video very similar to the one that I posted. The video shows a vibration sound (wrup/wrup/wrup) occurring at just over 2K RPMs. A second contributor name nightkrawler used a stethoscope to isolate the sound to the oil filter housing. I used nightkrawler's troubleshooting process to verify the sound was coming from the oil filter housing.

Engine off then disconnect the oil filter housing from the firewall mounting bracket and let it hang. I used several rags to isolate it away from the mounting bracket and firewall. Start engine and slowly load to just above 2K RPMs. The wrup/wrup/wrup sound was completely gone. Reattached oil filter housing to mounting bracket. Sound reappears.

In my case, someone prior to me had replaced the stock rubber isolation mounts with two E10 screws and two rubber grommets sandwiched between the oil filter housing and the mount. I called the local BMW stealer to price out the stock mounts. Believe it or not the guy quoted me $47 each. I don't mind spending money on the M5 but that is absolutely ridiculous. BavAuto and other BMW parts sites sell them for about $25 each. That's better but...

Turns out that McMaster Carr sells proper rubber vibration isolation mounts for less than $2 each and they deliver for free. I bought four of them, two for the oil filter housing and two for the power steering reservoir. Ordered them a ¼ inch wider than the stock ones just to add a bit more rubber isolation material.

Following are the McMaster Carr part numbers:
    Oil filter housing
    9217K35 - Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, M6 Thread, 3/4" High, 1" Wide

Power steering reservoir
    9217K34 - Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount Male/Male, M6 Thread, 1/2" High, 1" Wide
    So it was an $8 problem vs. Rod Bearings replacement. Before I take off my belts to check, i'll look at the oil filter housing too. I recently replaced my original rubber ones, maybe I should look at the PS ones now.
    Last edited by jdauria; 05-16-2016 at 08:40 AM.
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    So it was an $8 problem vs. Rod Bearings replacement. Before I take off my belts to check, i'll look at the oil filter housing too. I recently replaced my original rubber ones, maybe I should look at the PS ones now.
    Yes easier to disconnect the housing from the car than remove the belts . I did the belt test and still had the sound , but if you put your hand on the housing u can feel it thrumming

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbohugh View Post
    Yes easier to disconnect the housing from the car than remove the belts . I did the belt test and still had the sound , but if you put your hand on the housing u can feel it thrumming
    I ordered the McMaster pieces. Should arrive soon. I'll just do both the Oil Housing and PS housing together. Next up is thermostat, it never ends...but I love it
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    I ordered the McMaster pieces. Should arrive soon. I'll just do both the Oil Housing and PS housing together. Next up is thermostat, it never ends...but I love it
    Good idea.. Im traveling but when I get back I'm going to try to make sure my oil and PS steering lines are clocked correctly so they are not causing vibration.> I've been told I have a slight PS leak on the hose so I will try to fix that as well.
    Good luck I hope the solution fixes that stupid sound. So annoying. I feel sorry for the guy who paid to have his rod bearings replaced. Whatever shop that did that should be named and shamed, because that was shameful of them to rip him off like that, and there is no way they can tell me that is the diagnosis a competent shop would come up with.

That was either a bunch of idiots or an intentional rip-off and the community needs to be aware of shops like those.

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    So I replaced all four with McMaster parts, and my noise is completely gone. One thing to mention, there is a rubber grommet that the oil housing fits into on the bottom. I would suggest replacing that part as well. I didn't know it was there until I removed the housing and saw it was completely torn up. That could also be the culprit of any vibration noise.
    Totaled
    2009///M3

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by MihaNina View Post
    Well folks...got the M5 back. The rod bearing work did not resolve the issue. Very frustrating....

No steering wheel vibration issues.
    Engine mounts, harmonic balancer bolts loose. Maybe one of the pulleys. This is a simple fix I am sure. Have someone else Rev the engine as you listen under the the hood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12