Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Upping the Boost on my VF SC'd 540. Testing the Failure Limits of the Stock M62?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi

Upping the Boost on my VF SC'd 540. Testing the Failure Limits of the Stock M62?

Hey Guys,
    New spring project for my 540!! I've been happy with my VF kitted 540, and the car runs very good, but I've been wanting to try some more boost. I can't seem to stop messing with a good thing I guess, and the extra power will add some more fun and hopefully not too much misery.

The issue with the VF kit, and a lot of other supercharger kits, is they are designed for low boost, in the 6-9 psi range typically. One of the limiting factors of these kits, among other things, is the pulley and belt drive set-up. The VF kit comes with a 6 rib drive belt and a 6" dia crank pulley. The easy way to get some more boost is to reduce the SC pulley size. This increases the SC'er RPM's and you get more boost. Most of the VF guys here have all reduced to the 3.25" SC pulley and have had good success. If you reduce your SC pulley size too small, the boost goes up even more, and the belt will slip as it has less belt wrap on that really small SC pulley.

The best way to combat this is to go with a larger diameter crank pulley and an 8 rib belt. This allows you to maintain a larger SC pulley and get plenty of belt wrap and grip. This is the best way, but requires a custom 8 rib crank pulley and the re-location of the radiator expansion tank to allow the belt to fit. Not a horrible amount of work, but I'm going to try something easier first.

My goal is to reduce the SC pulley from 3.25" to 2.87" dia. To get the needed grip on this little pulley, my plan is to fabricate an adapter plate so I can mount an additional idler pulley to get increased belt wrap. To get the idler to fit, I need to relocate a new auto belt tensioner nearer the crank that rotates CCW to tension the belt.

I've been designing and collecting parts for the past couple of weeks, and working on this for a couple of nights. I installed the prototype last night.
    Here is a vid of the first start-up.

I did some drives this morning, on the way to work! All I can say is WOW! I was hitting 15 psi, but AFR's were a bit too high, so had to pull off! Still need to do the larger injectors and a re-tune, so this was just a quickie test. So far so good on this step!

I'll be posting up some details later for anyone else that may want to go this route.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looks like a good mod. What RPM is that VF good for?
    So when ya adding the 7" crank pulley, you know you want to.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Neat mod, mod. Looking forward to injectors and a tune.

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    That ape is really screaming now. Can't leave it alone, can you.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Looks like a good mod. What RPM is that VF good for?
    So when ya adding the 7" crank pulley, you know you want to.
    The Vortech V3 Si is rated for 52000 RPMs. With the new 2.87" pulley, I'll be right at that limit at my current 6800 RPM rev limiter setting. Lots of guys over-rev them though without much issue. I talked to Vortech, they say the bearings are what fails early if you over rev them too much. I'll only be hitting the limit for a brief moment, so I hope it will be fine.

If this current set up pans out to be reliable and not slip, (so far so good...) I'll be keeping the 6" crank pulley. I actually bought a 8 rib 6.88" crank pulley made for a Mustang set up, that I was going to machine to mate up with my VF crank pulley, but I decided to take this lazier route. The bigger crank pulley would have been nicer though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    Neat mod, mod. Looking forward to injectors and a tune.
    Thanks. I need to get in touch with TTFS and get a tune scheduled. Bad thing is its busy season for car tuning. I'll be lucky to get in there before summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    That ape is really screaming now. Can't leave it alone, can you.
    I think I have a problem.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Why don't they make cogged drive belts for these things, like an NHRA dragster?

Would be pretty simple to modify a timing belt for this purpose.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Very nice mod. Congrats!

I want to install a smaller pulley on my car but haven't had the time for that or to get back to TTFS-a 500 mile one way trip for me.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    interesting
    although a solution to the expansion tank clearance issue is to get one of those aluminum welded expansion tanks from zionsville
    not sure if they sell that separate from their radiator+electric fan though...

really curious to see if there's such a thing as too much boost on the m62, i've basically never heard of someone blowing their motor but m62 owners tend to baby their stuff for good reason

but if it blows up....hey...s62 swap time!
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Wau, it is amazing and awesome

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Looking forward to a dyno pull once this thing is tuned!
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    I guess all that is left now is to intercool it for even moar powa
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by dk500 View Post
    I guess all that is left now is to intercool it for even moar powa
    Plumbing would be simpler (and cheaper) to use water/methanol injection...

So now you have a way of getting just about 100% more air (1 atm boost) into your engine. Sounds great so far. But how are you going to double your fuel?
    Is the fuel pump and its wiring, the fuel lines, etc. large enough to supply double the original volume while raising the line pressure by 15 psi?
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach540 View Post
    Why don't they make cogged drive belts for these things, like an NHRA dragster?

Would be pretty simple to modify a timing belt for this purpose.
    Dangerous.
    Sold: 2000-BMW-E39-540i/Biarritz-Blue/Gray-Interior/DSP Sound.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Handling: ECSTuning Cup Kit (Koni Yellow/H&R 50464)/BF-Goodrich Comp-2 A/S.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Very nice mod. Congrats!

I want to install a smaller pulley on my car but haven't had the time for that or to get back to TTFS-a 500 mile one way trip for me.
    Let me know if you passing by if you decide to do it. I'd like to check out your car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    interesting
    although a solution to the expansion tank clearance issue is to get one of those aluminum welded expansion tanks from zionsville
    not sure if they sell that separate from their radiator+electric fan though...

really curious to see if there's such a thing as too much boost on the m62, i've basically never heard of someone blowing their motor but m62 owners tend to baby their stuff for good reason

but if it blows up....hey...s62 swap time!
    Yeah, one of the aftermarket X-tanks or possibly the E30 that Dinan used seems like a viable choice. Not sure if Zionsville sells theirs separate.

And not hearing of these blowing up either, but I've not seen a stock block M62 at this boost yet, so who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    Looking forward to a dyno pull once this thing is tuned!
    I'll be getting one for sure!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    Plumbing would be simpler (and cheaper) to use water/methanol injection...

So now you have a way of getting just about 100% more air (1 atm boost) into your engine. Sounds great so far. But how are you going to double your fuel?
    Is the fuel pump and its wiring, the fuel lines, etc. large enough to supply double the original volume while raising the line pressure by 15 psi?
    I have meth injection already, so all set there. I may up the nozzle sizes. I also put in a high volume fuel pump so that should be good for this power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mcgnms View Post
    Dangerous.
    Yup!

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5

Upping the Boost on my VF SC'd 540. Testing the Failure Limits of the Stock M62?

Have you considered an intake mounted wastegate to bleed out after say 12 PSI? That way you can get better midrange without blowing your manifold potentially. And it would double up as a BPV to prevent spikes on throttle release.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    in the off chance you find the limits off the stock engine, as the thread title suggests, and it blows up I call dibs on the s.c.'er
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    1999 540i S/C
    philly , Nice mod. Sounds wicked. Who makes that belt

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Have you considered an intake mounted wastegate to bleed out after say 12 PSI? That way you can get better midrange without blowing your manifold potentially. And it would double up as a BPV to prevent spikes on throttle release.
    I likely need a better valve. We will see how it goes. I would think the mani will be fine at 15 or so psi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    in the off chance you find the limits off the stock engine, as the thread title suggests, and it blows up I call dibs on the s.c.'er
    I'm hoping it will be fine but we will see. You would need a different charge pipe for your TU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clark49660 View Post
    philly , Nice mod. Sounds wicked. Who makes that belt
    Tks. Belt is Gates Fleet liner green stripe. Not a fan of the green really, but it's a very good belt.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    So when you going to slap on an 75 shot of juice?
    I've got a spare intake manifold that it drilled and tapped with fitting for 8 injectors.

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I likely need a better valve. We will see how it goes. I would think the mani will be fine at 15 or so psi.
    I hope so. Other kits out there are going with heavy duty metal manifolds at boost levels even before this. You will be the guinea pig of course. I very much would like to go this route, but crank pulley instead. I have calculated the size of crank pulley I need to match the same supercharger RPM I have now back on my 3.8'' pulley which I would gladly reuse.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    So when you going to slap on an 75 shot of juice?
    I've got a spare intake manifold that it drilled and tapped with fitting for 8 injectors.
    A nice 75 would really fill out the 2-3K rpm range, but I'd just be buying more tires me thinks! With the smaller pulley, I can feel the boost come on sooner, so i think it will be pretty good overall once I get the new injectors and tune.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope so. Other kits out there are going with heavy duty metal manifolds at boost levels even before this. You will be the guinea pig of course. I very much would like to go this route, but crank pulley instead. I have calculated the size of crank pulley I need to match the same supercharger RPM I have now back on my 3.8'' pulley which I would gladly reuse.
    I think the mani will be fine. Fingers crossed! Going bigger crank pulley is a better way, but this seems to be doing great and is much less work. Looking forward to what you come up with. I'll be posting some details of the bracket and hardware soon, if you want to copy.

My Cars
    bmw
    Really like the sound of this and certainly keen for further details.

I only just received the tune file from Frank for the 3.25" pulley but am still anticipating pushing the boost further.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Let me know if you passing by if you decide to do it. I'd like to check out your car
    Would be happy to stop by but I don't think it will be til next year. Nancy and I are about to open our Bakery for the last year and then it will be retirement on Dec. 24. We have wanted to take a trip South for a while. Hope I have the $ and time to do it.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Lookin good you crazy frakkin whackjob. Can't wait to see it / try it in person. Get on the horn to Frank and get him to shoehorn you in. The longer you wait the longer his spring backlog will be and the more you'll be tempted to hammer it and blow something up by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    interesting
    As Chris said - the way to go that a lot of the S62 blower guys do is an outboard 3er tank mounted on the left (drivers) side fender area. I think you'd still be pretty tight w/ the ZV tank and really it woudl be great to get more room there. That exp tank is the bane of us S/C guys existence.

Again macjgrznmf... superchargers DON'T HAVE WASTEGATES. Wastgates BLEED EXHAUST for turbos, not boost.
    I know other wrong people use the term wrongly but you'd rather be on the side of actual correctness, right?
    What you mean is a controllable BPV or BOV setup. Pedantry out of the way it's an interesting idea. The only way to get 'boost shaping' w/ a S/C is with something like that and some factory S/C setups have them - servo PWM controlled BPV that can pull boost down... of course then you need a boost controller - BUT - if you can sort out actuation, you could probably use an outboard boost controller made for turbo setups - there are some very cool very slick ones out there. Noodling it around I don't htink you can use the existing BPV without tangling in various complications and endangering its "base" function of off-throttle boost recycling so you'd need to rig up a secondary system I think? Plus you'd worry about fail-safe stuff like what happens if you have a failure of the BPV/BOV system and overboost. But a fun thing to noodle about.

I don't think he has anything to worry about re: the manifold - wendell was making turbo grade boost into the OEM setup and never blasted it out... its not like the S62 plenum that's a clamshell with lots and lots of holes in it and lots of places that weren't designed for boost - being a big monoblock of plastic for the most part really is to our advantage I think...

Would be happy to stop by but I don't think it will be til next year. Nancy and I are about to open our Bakery for the last year and then it will be retirement on Dec. 24. We have wanted to take a trip South for a while. Hope I have the $ and time to do it.
    Hey I still got pie credits in the bank! Can't wait to head up for an early season item. ;^)

If you do think about the roadtrip lemme know would be fun to have New Englander day at TTFS...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Again macjgrznmf... superchargers DON'T HAVE WASTEGATES. Wastgates BLEED EXHAUST for turbos, not boost.
    I know other wrong people use the term wrongly but you'd rather be on the side of actual correctness, right?
    What you mean is a controllable BPV or BOV setup. Pedantry out of the way it's an interesting idea. The only way to get 'boost shaping' w/ a S/C is with something like that and some factory S/C setups have them - servo PWM controlled BPV that can pull boost down... of course then you need a boost controller - BUT - if you can sort out actuation, you could probably use an outboard boost controller made for turbo setups - there are some very cool very slick ones out there. Noodling it around I don't htink you can use the existing BPV without tangling in various complications and endangering its "base" function of off-throttle boost recycling so you'd need to rig up a secondary system I think? Plus you'd worry about fail-safe stuff like what happens if you have a failure of the BPV/BOV system and overboost. But a fun thing to noodle about.
    Again, GearGrinder, superchargers CAN use wastegates. Wastegates are typically used to bleed exhaust turbochargers, but you can also mount them intake side. When I said wastegate, I really did mean wastegate such as a Tial MV-R or something of the sort. I'd rather sound exactly how I worded what I said. You can call it whatever in the world suits you. A modified BOV? Fine. Makes no difference.

Mounting a wastegate on the intake side where the discharge is and referencing it just like a normal wastegate setup to you guessed it...the intake discharge would work. It work good and far easier than the concoction you just described.

The wastegate would also double up as an anti-spike BPV. On WOT it would bleed out anything over X PSI and when you drop the throttle it would also open at that X PSI and help prevent spikes.

So for example you can mount the MV-R (Tial, the people who made it call it a wastegate, but I'll call it a BPV for you) and the reference port on it would unlike a normal BPV go infront of the throttle. Then you would obviously need to recirculate it back just like the original BPV. But now you have a pressure-only activated bleed system that will work both on and off throttle.

This has been used before and for the exact same setups, overdriven Centrifugals with amazing success. Its just a giant fuel-pressure regulator except for air never allowing pressure in the discharge to get over a certain PSI regardless of throttle opening.
    Last edited by mcgnms; 03-19-2016 at 11:28 AM.

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast