Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Upping the Boost on my VF SC'd 540. Testing the Failure Limits of the Stock M62?

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    It’s sooo much easier to drop the subframe and engine together (if you can).
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Glad to hear about the progress Chris! I do still have that piston and rod with your name on them.

BTW, I'm slapping together a 6L for the LRS. Something like that would go real nicely in your car.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 02-28-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Glad to hear about the progress Chris! I do still have that piston and rod with your name on them.

BTW, I'm slapping together a 6L for the LRS. Something like that would go real nicely in your car.
    Thanks Thad! Making my way slowly but surely on this big heap! LS is cheating lol. Can’t wait to see the 6L smoking tires. Almost too much power.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    It’s sooo much easier to drop the subframe and engine together (if you can).
    Agreed!! Wish I had a larger (deeper) garage (TWSS). Right now I have the back of the car right against the garage door, and I just had enough room for the hoist. Like inches to spare.

- - - Updated - - -

Engine Pull.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I could load the pic via Edge. WTF.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nice progress. Haven't heard anything about issues posting pics.
    Rip that sucker apart.
    That drivers side header was not fun to get off or back on. After I got the nuts loose enough I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with whatever it took to get to the nuts. Some from the top and the others from under the car.

Thad, don't listen to Philly, no such thing as cheating.
    A 6.0 with your turbo setup should make some killa HP and torque numbers!
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-28-2020 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Rip that sucker apart.
    That drivers side header was not fun to get off or back on. After I got the nuts loose enough I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with whatever it took to get to the nuts. Some from the top and the others from under the car.

So I'm gonna have a good time installing the Supersprint headers, got it, haha. Best to drop the subframe for that?
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    So I'm gonna have a good time installing the Supersprint headers, got it, haha. Best to drop the subframe for that?
    Nate, I had my subframe dropped about 6" and the engine jacked up, which helped. Still was a PITA.......it was worth the effort.
    Before you connect the collectors start the engine up and drive it around the hood.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    If it is cheating, it's one kind of cheating that is definitely worth it! Lol

And I agree, adding 25% engine displacement should make things significantly more rowdy. Looking forward to trying it out!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Great to see progress Chris! Re: the header PITA, that was one of the things that Jed wanted to 'fix' with the Jedders apparently - making mount/remove apparently a joy.
    Of course you pay for the privelege!

And don't listen to these LS heretics. But lets put that thing on a proper Emtron standalone and give you some real control over that puppy... we'll sort you out. (only half joking).

In all seriousness - if someone wanted to really do an M62 to the next level, some car should probably be rigged up with per cylinder EGTs, try to see what is going on.
    I just looked back at Wendell's motor-destruction stories and looks like he killed 5/7/8 in one motor, and then 8 again, so there seems to be something about bank 2 that maybe needs get attention when tuning.
    I know his tuning capacity was somewhat rudimentary so there's decent chance on a 'proper' ECU you could keep things from burning down especially if you have the data required.

That's not to replace at all Thads long held theories on rings which I think are probably on target... but with good measurements and careful per-cylinder tuning control you might help mitigate those issues and stay below the piston meltdown limits.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Agreed!! Wish I had a larger (deeper) garage (TWSS). Right now I have the back of the car right against the garage door, and I just had enough room for the hoist. Like inches to spare.
    To own a garage that deep is still awesome. I've had to pull engines several times out in the street in Philly. My current garage is maybe 2 feet longer than any of my cars but still good for being close to center city.

Good luck with leaning harder on the M62.
    95 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
    97 528i
    98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
    02 Jag X-type
    03 M5
    07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
    83 Yamaha IT175K
    72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

My Cars
    540 SC -89, Compact M60
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

In all seriousness - if someone wanted to really do an M62 to the next level, some car should probably be rigged up with per cylinder EGTs, try to see what is going on.
    I just looked back at Wendell's motor-destruction stories and looks like he killed 5/7/8 in one motor, and then 8 again, so there seems to be something about bank 2 that maybe needs get attention when tuning.
    I know his tuning capacity was somewhat rudimentary so there's decent chance on a 'proper' ECU you could keep things from burning down especially if you have the data required.
    Bank 2 liquid coolant canal needs some modify under valley pan. I broke several engines before modifying that canal.
    What is that Wendell's motor-destruction stories?
    Ex:
    E39 540 M60b44 At
    E39 540/6
    E38 740/6
    E34 540/6 Touring
    E34 540/6 Touring
    And many automatic V8 E34, E38, E39.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thad, whose this guy dissing our beloved LS engines?
    More cubes in a smaller package, no guide problems, and a butt load more HP & torque.
    Hi GG.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    But lets put that thing on a proper Emtron standalone and give you some real control over that puppy... we'll sort you out. (only half joking).

I would certainly love to see someone do this! After what my old M62 has endured, and continues to soak up, my respect for the robustness of decently tuned M62 is quite high.

Prior to going to a stand alone -- during the time I was trying to work things out with the DME M52 on the turbo setup -- I saw numerous instances of the DME oddly adding timing and pulling fuel IN BOOST. It painted a picture in my head of why so many guys who try to turbo M62s blow them up. It's like the DME wants to kill the engine...

Centrifugal S/Cs are certainly easier for the DME to manage, since the linear boost doesn't come in all at once and bang into the calculated load/torque limit. But still a proper engine control system and badass data gathering would be great. If only we could know exactly what type of incident it was that abused Chris' piston. An injector not keeping up with the rest? Wet flow from the water/methanol system not dousing that cylinder quite as well? Excess cylinder wall temp compared to the rest of them as 516SC indicates? Something else entirely? Sure would be nice to know.

Being hybrid old-school/modern like I am, my normal data gathering is reading my plugs obsessively, and then adjusting the tune in my engine control. From so doing, I never really saw any big cylinder to cylinder differences on my setup. And interestingly, I have seen some data recently that indicates boost actually diminishes distribution differences, as opposed to the opposite as I had always imagined.

I guess that really makes sense, since the more pressure you pack into a plenum, the more uniformly the air charge is going to jam past an intake valve, versus relying on scavenging, etc., to keep the uniformity good...

- - - Updated - - -

More cubes in a smaller package, no guide problems, and a but load more HP & torque.
    Hi GG.
    Lol, some jealous guy!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Great to see progress Chris! Re: the header PITA, that was one of the things that Jed wanted to 'fix' with the Jedders apparently - making mount/remove apparently a joy.

And don't listen to these LS heretics. But lets put that thing on a proper Emtron standalone and give you some real control over that puppy... we'll sort you out. (only half joking).

That's not to replace at all Thads long held theories on rings which I think are probably on target... but with good measurements and careful per-cylinder tuning control you might help mitigate those issues and stay below the piston meltdown limits.
    Damn the ghost is back! Miss your ass around here. Yeah, lets see what this piston tells us when I get it popped out. I see no evidence of hot running in that cylinder by looking at the plugs. I'm thinking a ring land just busted out, but just speculation at this point. I'd love to do a standalone on this at some point. Maybe when OBD2 is not needed anymore due to age re state inspection. I know the tune is decent and fat enough when peak torque hits, but yeah, there is some space for improvement. There is some cold startup table that is not perfect that I can't find in Winolz, that give a lean out on cold days here and there, but its just a minor quibble. Mostly runs great. Per cylinder EGT would be a dream. Hope you are getting your biz moving and making a way for yourself in that space. Tough industry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 516SC View Post
    Bank 2 liquid coolant canal needs some modify under valley pan. I broke several engines before modifying that canal.
    What is that Wendell's motor-destruction stories?
    I remember seeing a post about this! Interesting. Do you have a link to a thread with details on this and how to grind/mod the passage?

- - - Updated - - -

I would certainly love to see someone do this! After what my old M62 has endured, and continues to soak up, my respect for the robustness of decently tuned M62 is quite high.

Prior to going to a stand alone -- during the time I was trying to work things out with the DME M52 on the turbo setup -- I saw numerous instances of the DME oddly adding timing and pulling fuel IN BOOST. It painted a picture in my head of why so many guys who try to turbo M62s blow them up. It's like the DME wants to kill the engine...

Centrifugal S/Cs are certainly easier for the DME to manage, since the linear boost doesn't come in all at once and bang into the calculated load/torque limit. But still a proper engine control system and badass data gathering would be great. If only we could know exactly what type of incident it was that abused Chris' piston. An injector not keeping up with the rest? Wet flow from the water/methanol system not dousing that cylinder quite as well? Excess cylinder wall temp compared to the rest of them as 516SC indicates? Something else entirely? Sure would be nice to know.

Being hybrid old-school/modern like I am, my normal data gathering is reading my plugs obsessively, and then adjusting the tune in my engine control. From so doing, I never really saw any big cylinder to cylinder differences on my setup. And interestingly, I have seen some data recently that indicates boost actually diminishes distribution differences, as opposed to the opposite as I had always imagined.

I guess that really makes sense, since the more pressure you pack into a plenum, the more uniformly the air charge is going to jam past an intake valve, versus relying on scavenging, etc., to keep the uniformity good...

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, some jealous guy!
    Glad your old M62 is still running strong. That was an awesome project on your part! Great work on that custom tune is why it still in one piece. Nice!

I will likely send my injectors out for a balance in the hopes the number 7 was actually lean and the cause of all this. If they all balance fine, maybe it was the meth or coolant balance, or who knows. Maybe it was just fatigue an abuse on the pistons. Im over 180K on this original block and guts, so maybe it was just time. Lets see what the inside show.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Maybe it was just fatigue an abuse on the pistons. Im over 180K on this original block and guts, so maybe it was just time. Lets see what the inside show.
    With the power you've been making and using on a daily basis in that car, I don't feel like that engine owes you anything at this point. Extremely impressive!!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    With the power you've been making and using on a daily basis in that car, I don't feel like that engine owes you anything at this point. Extremely impressive!!
    +4398
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    I remember seeing a post about this! Interesting. Do you have a link to a thread with details on this and how to grind/mod the passage?
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...o-Build/page39 post 965
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    You can click on the post number to link directly to a specific post.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post29913986
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)

My Cars
    540 SC -89, Compact M60
    Yes there is good pictures about passage, some engines need minor modifying on waterpumps side too.

This was last summer, stock M62b44, next summer coming 255/250 cams.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOhHzghf-hY
    Last edited by 516SC; 03-04-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Ex:
    E39 540 M60b44 At
    E39 540/6
    E38 740/6
    E34 540/6 Touring
    E34 540/6 Touring
    And many automatic V8 E34, E38, E39.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Rip that sucker apart.

Lol me and him know the suffering these gd DS headers can cause... we both have 4 washers under our drivers side mounts to keep from hitting the steering shaft which I’ve read to be quite common with SS headers... it almost manifests as a wheel bearing issue but it’s the header pipe hitting the shaft, right at the worst part of it - the break away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti

I smell what youre stepping in grinder and I love it

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    More cubes in a smaller package, no guide problems, and a butt load more HP & torque.
    Hi GG.
    Cuz he’s got a butt load of something else - just some boomer with a stick shift fetish

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    +4398
    Go fund me?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti

Upping the Boost on my VF SC'd 540. Testing the Failure Limits of the Stock M62?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Quote Originally Posted by 516SC View Post
    Yes there is good pictures about passage, some engines need minor modifying on waterpumps side too.

This was last summer, stock M62b44, next summer coming 255/250 cams.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOhHzghf-hY

What flywheel and clutch you have on that? Revs like a motorcycle. Zing Zing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    Thanks! I figured Thad had to be involved. I think I will do this grinding and porting on that coolant passage. I do wonder why BMW had them unequal from the factory? Looks like they were trying to balance the flows or something.

- - - Updated - - -

+4398
    come on now, this sucker is just getting broken in!

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast