Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Just another boring LS swap into an E36 M3

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Touched some wires to some other wires, started to make a little progress on the relay box. Like I said before, wiring makes for boring pictures, so here's a boring picture.

Here's all the ends of the soldered wires, probably about halfway through hooking everything up.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    Driveshaft ordered, 44.5" x 3" aluminum from Coleman Racing with 1310 U joints on either end. $275 shipped.
    Good choice! I've been running the Coleman for 2 years, but the steel unit. I didn't have enough room for the aluminum unit. $140 shipped!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    Good choice! I've been running the Coleman for 2 years, but the steel unit. I didn't have enough room for the aluminum unit. $140 shipped!
    Good to know.

Got everything to the point where it should have cranked today, but couldn't get it to do so. The relay box is all hooked up, so it should only need to see a starter signal to crank, and a starter signal and a fuel pump to run. Could not get 12v at the starter relay, but had 12v at the relay box with key on. Ground near the front of the driver's side wheel well for the chassis harness was hooked up. Had the wires for the starter signal and for the 12v power on from the X20 plug wired up as well. What am I missing?

My Cars
    several
    Squash,
    Do you have a differential brace? I ended up having to install one and it did wonders for keeping the front of the diff in check. When I get back under, I'll check what bushing and if I put 12.9's on both bolts or just the horizontal bolt.
    1998 M3 Sedan - LS3 M12T56 - A bad addiction.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by OKsweetrides View Post
    Squash,
    Do you have a differential brace? I ended up having to install one and it did wonders for keeping the front of the diff in check. When I get back under, I'll check what bushing and if I put 12.9's on both bolts or just the horizontal bolt.
    No diff brace, but did the bolt upgrade on the front diff bolt with 10.9 hardware, and fresh poly bushings for the diff and subframe.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Did some wire stuff. I had the starter trigger wire in pin 15 on the X20 instead of pin 18, thinking it will crank once the battery actually has a charge, unless I need to do something to bypass the EWS?

Also did some driveshaft stuff. Spicer yoke on the trans side, and Nash(?) adapter on the diff side. Shaft is super light.

Going to pull this back out and hammer up the floor a bit, not a lot of clearance. Can't get my chubby finger under there.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Do work!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    What power can thoes aluminum drive shafts take?

Looks really nice.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    Do work!
    Trying! Have to go to PA for work tomorrow into Saturday night, so I'll get a bit of time to work on it tonight and maybe some time on Sunday before the AFC game.

Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post

Looks really nice.
    No idea what they're rated for. I know Jon Volk started to pretzel one, but he's probably making double the power I am. I think I'd be lucky to hit 400 crank HP.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    A little more progress tonight, fixed the fog on the DD M3 by stealing the plug from this car, and checked fluids since I've got to do ~600 miles in it the next couple days.

Made some clearance for the driveshaft. Grabbed one of my favorite metal stretchers:

Precision markings and specific instructions:

Clearance, Clarence.

Also redid my hood ground with some stuff I had laying around.

I did end up jumping the starter wires on the EWS, which resulted in my starter actually engaging. So that's good.

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post

Looks really nice.
    The driveshaft shop that made mine indicated it wouldn't be much of a problem until you start hooking up/launching on a tire with actual traction. My friend is putting 600whp through his 3x.125 aluminum with no issues. I'm not sure what's going to break on mine first - the axles, the diff, or the driveshaft..or the trans. We'll see. When that happens it's 8.8 IRS time.
    96 M3 | Forged LSx | Twin S366 | Injector Dynamics | E85 | AEM Infinity
    90 Schwarz 325i

IG : sdobart

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by sdobart View Post
    The driveshaft shop that made mine indicated it wouldn't be much of a problem until you start hooking up/launching on a tire with actual traction. My friend is putting 600whp through his 3x.125 aluminum with no issues. I'm not sure what's going to break on mine first - the axles, the diff, or the driveshaft..or the trans. We'll see. When that happens it's 8.8 IRS time.
    Did you ever run into clearance issues between the passenger side LCA or the front crossmember with the CX stuff? I posted some pictures of super tight clearances a while back, not sure if you saw them.

My Cars
    several
    I just saw your post on the hot wire. Smart move on that ign planning.
    1998 M3 Sedan - LS3 M12T56 - A bad addiction.

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    Did you ever run into clearance issues between the passenger side LCA or the front crossmember with the CX stuff? I posted some pictures of super tight clearances a while back, not sure if you saw them.
    I am running the Vorshlag kit, so no experience with CX stuff. But when I was running their headers I did have issues with hitting the passenger side LCAB as well, so I just dented the primary of the header to clear it. Doesn't affect performance, but it sure sucks denting $1700 headers.
    90 Schwarz 325i

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by sdobart View Post
    I am running the Vorshlag kit, so no experience with CX stuff. But when I was running their headers I did have issues with hitting the passenger side LCAB as well, so I just dented the primary of the header to clear it. Doesn't affect performance, but it sure sucks denting $1700 headers.
    Ahh, my bad. Thought you had CX stuff as well. I'll probably end up doing the same thing if needed. There was an "Engine Masters" from Hot Rod that showed you'd have to dent the shit out of the headers before it made a noticeable difference in power.

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    Ahh, my bad. Thought you had CX stuff as well. I'll probably end up doing the same thing if needed. There was an "Engine Masters" from Hot Rod that showed you'd have to dent the shit out of the headers before it made a noticeable difference in power.
    lol yeah i saw that, they had to pinch the primaries almost all the way shut before it started to affect performance.
    90 Schwarz 325i

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Got it to actually crank today, battery wasn't charged enough the other day.

Didn't get to work on it much other than that. Had to work on my Honda, which my GF daily drives. Resonator fell off yesterday while she was in running errands in Boston and I was in PA, and the rest of the exhaust was too rusted to bolt a new axle back on, so I had to improvise.

Last edited by squashman702; 01-22-2017 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Your improvised Honda exhaust looks like my e36 LS exhaust.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Your improvised Honda exhaust looks like my e36 LS exhaust.
    Is this a good or bad thing? Haha

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I'll try to remember to text you some pics later.
    get ready to lol.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I'll try to remember to text you some pics later.
    get ready to lol.
    Uh oh. I hope you spent more than the 20 minutes I spent on the Honda exhaust haha. And used something more precise than a sawzall to make it all.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Ordered Prosport oil pressure and water temp gauges last night. Wanted something in place before I actually fire it, and I couldn't find much else that were full sweep that weren't ridiculously expensive. I like the Autometer stuff, but there were no offerings from them that fit what I was looking for.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I ended up with the short sweep autometers because the full sweep were wicked expensive.
    i may upgrade to SPA dual gauges at a later date.

My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Ordered Prosport oil pressure and water temp gauges last night. Wanted something in place before I actually fire it, and I couldn't find much else that were full sweep that weren't ridiculously expensive. I like the Autometer stuff, but there were no offerings from them that fit what I was looking for.
    I bought digital prosport gauges for water and oil temp as well as oil pressure. Using the dual steering gauge pod from rally road to mount two, and will use the dash block off panel from hard motorsports to mount the other gauge and wideband.
    Ls2 e36 sedan

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I ended up with the short sweep autometers because the full sweep were wicked expensive.
    i may upgrade to SPA dual gauges at a later date.
    These were $102 for the pair. I couldn't stomach $80 for the oil pressure gauge, especially the short sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    I bought digital prosport gauges for water and oil temp as well as oil pressure. Using the dual steering gauge pod from rally road to mount two, and will use the dash block off panel from hard motorsports to mount the other gauge and wideband.
    Did you hook them up yet? Thoughts? I bought some $15 ebay panel that's two 52mm holes punched in some steel. Going to mount it over the cubby above the switches I think.

Did a little bit of work tonight. Driveshaft is back in and the bolts are blue loctited.

Throttle cable is basically 100% at this point, may need a little adjusting.

Started using some of the Techflex F6. Not going to go too crazy until it runs in case I have to go back and troubleshoot. I like it so far, going to be a lot easier than unpinning a ton of connectors.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast