Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 526

Thread: Just another boring LS swap into an E36 M3

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    FL Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,189
    My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    Thank you sir.

    The PO pulled my power distribution block for his swap, was hoping once I replaced that, I'd be able to get power but didn't have any luck. I'll give this a go tomorrow.
    Sorry, I thought you were asking if the chassis harness could be powered without an engine harness installed. As SDobart indicated, if you jumper power from the distribution block on/near the passenger fender to the main under-hood fuse box, you'll be able to power the chassis harness.

    Tipsy

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were asking if the chassis harness could be powered without an engine harness installed. As SDobart indicated, if you jumper power from the distribution block on/near the passenger fender to the main under-hood fuse box, you'll be able to power the chassis harness.

    Tipsy
    No worries, didn't even see your first post somehow, sorry.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Was able to jump the power distribution block to the fuse box.

    Got the seats bolted down fully now that I could move them. Also figured out that the sunroof and power windows both work, which is not something I was counting on. Pretty hilarious to turn the key and see almost every warning light lit up on the dash besides the CEL.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Ordered the remainder of the bushings I'll need for the rear end today. Fuel system is next, then I can get the tank and subframe back in the car. Thinking I'm going to go with an Aeromotive 340 pump and a new relay setup.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Ordered a GM LS7 clutch and flywheel off ebay, found one for what I thought was a decent price at $474 shipped.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,207
    My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    It is a decent price for LS7 clutch kit...
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

    - 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Worked on the ZHP today instead of the M3, did an oil change, and fixed the shield over the fuel filter, and some of the damaged inner fender liner and lower lip of the bumper.

    ZHP lurking after.



    Shop's getting crowded. M3 is currently losing the race for being completed before the 49. Only thing actually running and driving correctly in this picture is my YZ, everything else is in some state of broken.


  8. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    LS6 intake most of the way installed after I labeled and pulled the harness off the motor and cleaned the top of the engine. Tried to remove the ribbing to get the steam line to work, and got frustrated. Going to order one of the fancy looking ones.




  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,752
    My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    looks good!
    i've been wondering how much of a PITA the OE steam lines are. looks like i'll be going with a 'fancy' kit as well.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

    ^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    looks good!
    i've been wondering how much of a PITA the OE steam lines are. looks like i'll be going with a 'fancy' kit as well.
    OEM LS6 would work with the LS6 intake, going to price that out as well. My test fitments didn't make me too comfortable with running the LS1 steam lines, especially with the knock sensor wiring in there, which clips to the steam line then runs over it at one point. There's a Trick Flow kit that utilizes the rear ports still, which is what I'm leaning towards, and runs about $140 from what I've seen. Trying to sell a bunch of the LS1 stuff I don't need to free up some more cash.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    sterling hts, michigan
    Posts
    1,493
    My Cars
    02 M3
    I have the rear steam ports blocked, only venting the front ports. I believe I tapped into the blank area on the water pump and ran the vent into there.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
    I have the rear steam ports blocked, only venting the front ports. I believe I tapped into the blank area on the water pump and ran the vent into there.
    I know the LS6 and aluminum 5.3's had these blocked off, but from what I've read, the LS1 benefits from the rear steam lines.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,752
    My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    I know the LS6 and aluminum 5.3's had these blocked off, but from what I've read, the LS1 benefits from the rear steam lines.
    i can verify that the LM4 (aluminum 5.3) has the rear ports blocked off. (what i have)
    but i plan to tie into all 4 ports on the heads as well as the Tstat housing
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

    ^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Added some stuffs to the engine.


  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Pressed out all the bushings/ball joints/wheel bearings in the rear end. Need to install all the new stuff I bought, and get some hardware to mount the diff. I'd like to work out the fuel system next then button as much of the rear back up as I can (still need to figure out a strut/shock setup, thinking Koni/H&R on that) so that I can start playing around with dropping the motor into the car.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    FL Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,189
    My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    (still need to figure out a strut/shock setup, thinking Koni/H&R on that) so that I can start playing around with dropping the motor into the car.
    I can't comment on how they handle because I haven't yet driven the car, but that's what I went with; H&R "Sport" springs and Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts.

    Tipsy

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    I can't comment on how they handle because I haven't yet driven the car, but that's what I went with; H&R "Sport" springs and Koni Sport adjustable shocks and struts.

    Tipsy
    I've heard good things.

    I hopped into this swap without ever driving an E36, so I have literally no baseline.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    FL Gulf Coast
    Posts
    1,189
    My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    I've heard good things.

    I hopped into this swap without ever driving an E36, so I have literally no baseline.
    I have very little baseline as well. I bought my car for the sole purpose of performing the swap. I barely drove it before tearing it apart. But based on everything I've read, the E36 is/was one of the best handling cars as produced. So one can assume it can only get better with the upgraded bits.

    Tipsy

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    904
    Posts
    107
    My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Went this route for the steam vent. Didnt feel like sourcing a ls6 setup to fit under the intake, or making the bottom of the manifold.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Ls2 e36 sedan

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    Went this route for the steam vent. Didnt feel like sourcing a ls6 setup to fit under the intake, or making the bottom of the manifold.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Is that the Trickflow setup?

    Today, got all four ball joints pressed into the rear trailing arms, RTAB's in, and wheel bearings in. Need some bigger snap ring pliers to finish up the reassembly of the hubs.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    904
    Posts
    107
    My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    EBay seller named Fassters. Bought pretty much all of my AN stuff from him. Got steam vent kit, fuel rails, and all my fittings. Sourced the line from other companies. Not one rubber hose left.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Ls2 e36 sedan

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    EBay seller named Fassters. Bought pretty much all of my AN stuff from him. Got steam vent kit, fuel rails, and all my fittings. Sourced the line from other companies. Not one rubber hose left.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    I'll have to look that up. What tensioner are you running?

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    904
    Posts
    107
    My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Just a manual billet aluminum one from ict billet. Got it along with my power steering pump bracket from them.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Ls2 e36 sedan

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    Just a manual billet aluminum one from ict billet. Got it along with my power steering pump bracket from them.

    Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Was just looking at that myself, probably going to order that soon.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    657
    My Cars
    1997 M3- LS1/T56
    Pressed the stubs into the new wheel bearings and continued to reassemble the rear end.



    Polished one of the lights as a practice, needed to fix the lenses on the ZHP bad.



    ZHP with one side done.



    Complete.


Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ANyone do a LS swap into an OBDII e36? EWS question
    By m3j0n in forum Engine Conversions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM
  2. M62 swap into an e36?
    By alpine318is in forum General BMW sponsored by Intercity Lines
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
  3. Let's say you're swapping an LS1 into an e36 M3......
    By giantrobot9000 in forum Engine Conversions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
  4. M3 E46 Motor swap into an Euro M3 E36 EVO.
    By M3MotorsportITA in forum 1994 - 1999 Euro M3 (E36)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
  5. 83 633csi drivetrain/motor swap into an E36
    By bilstein325i in forum 1991 - 1999 (E36)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •