Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Just another boring LS swap into an E36 M3

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Got to be a great feeling when it moved under its own power...

Can't help you much on the issue: obviously pressure at 70+ will make the engine run rich...fouled plugs? Did a wire come loose/chaff thru with a few miles on it?

My Cars
    1997 M3/LS1, 01 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Got to be a great feeling when it moved under its own power...

Can't help you much on the issue: obviously pressure at 70+ will make the engine run rich...fouled plugs? Did a wire come loose/chaff thru with a few miles on it?
    I was pumped to drive it, a lot better than looking at it on jackstands for the past year plus. Couldn't beat on it too much with the fresh clutch, but it feels like it's going to be a ton of fun.

I haven't pulled a plug yet, working on the side of the road in the city with a little pouch of tools at this point. Wire chafing somewhere in the harness is a distinct possibility, especially since it seems like it takes a few minutes for the car to start acting up, which would fall in line with a damaged wire heating up and creating resistance.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Highly doubt you will get MAF code on bad fuel, plus it won't just randomly shut off. It would've ran like crap all the time.

If you get code on MAF, try unplugging the MAF and drive around see if it repeats with MAF unplugged. Also, try connecting OBDII reader with live data to see if your MAP is still alive and shows reading after being connected to oil pressure switch. Both MAF and MAP are somewhat related and could be your issue.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    1997 M3/LS1, 01 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Highly doubt you will get MAF code on bad fuel, plus it won't just randomly shut off. It would've ran like crap all the time.

If you get code on MAF, try unplugging the MAF and drive around see if it repeats with MAF unplugged. Also, try connecting OBDII reader with live data to see if your MAP is still alive and shows reading after being connected to oil pressure switch. Both MAF and MAP are somewhat related and could be your issue.
    Car died after 10-15 seconds without the MAF the other day, but it was after it had started dying, not when it was cold.

I went to the JY today and got a MAF off a known good engine. Symptoms didn't change, still started having issues after 10 or so minutes today when driving around in low gears.

My Cars
    1997 M3/LS1, 01 Prelude
    The saga continues, cross posting this from LS1tech, sorry if this repeats some older info.

Car appears to be running very rich to the point where it seems like the engine is flooding. It will run okay for a bit, then start to bog. Pulled the plug on cylinder 1 and it was very dark and slightly wet. Had a P1635 code, checked 5v reference at the MAP, oil pressure, and fuel tank pressure, and all checked out- I did not have A/C flashed out of the PCM when I got my base tune, and I'm guessing this code is lingering because I do not have the A/C nor the pressure sensor set up. I checked O2 sensors, and unplugging the sensors does not change how the car runs, nor does it trigger a CEL. Measuring the wires on the harness side with a voltmeter shows both the tan and purple wires putting out 4.6-4.9v. I unpinned one of the tan wires at the PCM and checked again with key on power, and the voltage disappeared.

Any thoughts? Here's the plug.
    Last edited by squashman702; 06-21-2017 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    How's it going?

Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 M3/LS1, 01 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    How's it going?

Tipsy
    Still having the same stalling issue.

I borrowed a scanner that can read sensor outputs, and I have yet to come up with anything that seems off while the car idles. The car has no problem idling for an extended period of time. Coolant temp sits at 195*, and there is no stalling. I replaced the C5 regulator thinking mine had maybe been defective- no change. I replaced the Aeromotive 340 with a Walbro 255 after reading that the 340 may cause issues when using a C5 regulator. This brought the fuel pressure closer to being in line, but it is still reading high at the rail with around 65-70 psi. I tried blowing air through the return line, which dropped the pressure slightly, so I'm wondering if I still have a restriction which is causing pressure to jump once the car is running for a few minutes. I need to be able to data log while the car is stalling, which I'm not sure I have the ability to do with the borrowed scanner, so I need to lean on one of my mechanic friends to help me out at this point.

I've been parting out a couple of cars in the meantime, and working on a Wrangler as a flip, so that's been a distraction from the M3.

My Cars
    1997 M3/LS1, 01 Prelude
    Car has been running better the past couple days. I was able to drive it for 10 or so minutes without issue near my shop, which was something that I could not do on the Aeromotive 340. My mechanic friend suggested we reset the PCM after looking at long term fuel trims that seemed to be way off, which was something I missed and definitely didn't think of. This seems to have cured the running issue for the time being, drove it multiple times for 20 minutes or so last night without issue. The car pulls hard and doesn't seem to be bogging like it was before. I may try to squeeze in a longer drive today, then take it to get inspected. Luckily MA is dumb, and the four year old sticker on the car matches the color for the stickers expiring in 2018, so I can probably get away with it for a bit. I still need to look into the fuel pressure issue, as I checked it yesterday, and it was still showing at 74 PSI at the rail.

My Cars
    1995 E36 4 Door aut swap
    These Photobucket restrictions have ruined a lot of good threads photos.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthor991 View Post
    These Photobucket restrictions have ruined a lot of good threads photos.
    There are browser extensions/plug-ins that will fix the Photobucket issue.

Tipsy

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    due tell. i need to get my threads pics back... how do we do it?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/5
    S54 swap in progress

My Cars
    Jeep JKU, Ford Kuga
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    There are browser extensions/plug-ins that will fix the Photobucket issue.

Tipsy
    Sure, if you always browse on a PC, but you're just fixing it for yourself and not others. If you're like me and primarily browse on your phone/tablet you're SOL.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxDreamer View Post
    Sure, if you always browse on a PC, but you're just fixing it for yourself and not others. If you're like me and primarily browse on your phone/tablet you're SOL.
    I understand that. I'm just offering information that others might not be aware of.

The OP's of threads with images hosted on PB can edit each post that contains linked photos and upload those images directly to the forum. Cumbersome and time consuming but it can be done.

Tipsy

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021