Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Just another boring LS swap into an E36 M3

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You have me wondering now - not so much on hp loss but the drone I experienced over my last exhausts mod. I originally used a MagnaFlow 2 in - 2 out center resonator, with internal crossover vs. the OEM center resonator, this all fed Remus mufflers in the rear. I could not leave well enough alone....I went with 3" tubing from the cats back to regular cross over and some different mufflers as well - all at once. Rear mufflers were the original OEM mufflers modified with the 'Hamburg" mod. This involved cutting them open and removing all the internal baffles and u - bends etc., replacing with a piece of perforated pipe from inlet to exit and rewelding together.

The sound was OK...no droning but I had a definite loss of low end performance. So I changed from 3" to 2 1/2' and crossover back to some Gibson chambered mufflers everything is 2 1/2 ". Performance is back but so is a BAD drone. Now I am wondering about the crossovers. I used the same type as you described - one 3" and one 2 1/2"

After your findings - I may try a "kissing" type crossover with the current set up, Oh I have since installed separate inline Vibrant resonators in each leg - that was no help on the drone either.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Life got in the way of this for a bit. Pulled the transmission off the bellhousing enough to find that the clutch line was not leaking like I suspected, and I have an oil leak elsewhere instead. Rear main was bone dry when I installed the clutch and trans, so I'm hoping that it's not leaking, and it's from the pan instead. Going to recheck torque on all of the bolts and hope that it fixes the problem. I did manage to get the Cobra reverse light switch and trans wiring installed yesterday. Going to sort out the motor mount bolt issue today, and see if that eliminates the movement that the hardware provided with the CX Racing mounts were allowing.

Also bought a Hellrot M3 sedan to part out to help fund the last bits of this project, so if anyone needs anything from that, let me know.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/6090615033.html

Last edited by squashman702; 04-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Spent way too long fishing one of the motor mounts out of the chassis to try to correct the amount of movement that the CXRacing mounts allow. Ended up drilling the bushing sleeve to 7/16" and welding up the inside of the mount where it wasn't welded initially. I had added washers previously to the outside of the mount since the holes were cut and not drilled, and therefore not round. Hoping to get the other side knocked out tomorrow. The bushing still has more play in the engine mount side than I'd like, so hopefully there's a difference with all of the tweaks.

My booger welds with the MIG, cameo by the BMW floor anchor:

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Messed around with the passenger side motor mount. This one came out a lot easier. Same procedure as the driver's side. Ended up routing the wire for the alternator along the steering rack to keep it out of the top of the bay and eliminate some of the wiring clutter up top.

Aftermath of the mount fix:

Used the threaded holes on the rack for the wire:

Intake setup. Not sure if I'm going to even bother to make a bracket for the MAF back to the chassis since the poly boots hold their shape pretty well, and the filter runs into the fender well lightly as it is.

Stole the black kidneys off the parts M3, and put the hood down for the first time in a while (and without having to move a ton of stuff, which is a good thing I think). Needs a bath:

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Cleaned it up a little more, just because.

Painted the mid section of the exhaust, hopefully the heat gun was enough to keep the pain on there for a bit.

Engine bay

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Still messing around with a variety of things that have to be finished, one of which being the rear suspension needing to be tightened. The rear tires were wedged in the ramps it was on, so I couldn't get the suspension to settle like I wanted to, so I dropped it on the ground. Also reinstalled the exhaust, need to add tips as well. Welded up a couple spots I missed too. Slowly picking away at it.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Still haven't been able to get to the shop much. Ended up doing some work on the Prelude, new O2, VTEC solenoid gasket, polished the headlights, installed speakers and a new head unit.

Tack tack tack.

Cleaned up, paint started. The pipes before this will be silver.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Exhaust is done.

Bracket for catch can.

Cheapo ebay catch can.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Git R done!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    Git R done!
    Trying, lacking motivation and time lately, despite feeling like I have a short list of stuff left to do.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Little bit of progress last night- thinking I fixed my leaking clutch line issue with some thread sealant. One of my adapter fittings may not have the correct flare on the female-female brake union I used to adapt between in the aftermarket braided line and the factory hard line. Threaded it in as far as I could and used some Loctite 592, and that seems to have stopped the leak. I left my pressure bleeder with 15 PSI in the system last night as a double check, should be an easy tell once I get back to the shop today. Nice to have a clutch pedal (hopefully) finally so I can take the car out of gear, and finish up the last odds and ends.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Over a week without an update, here goes.

After I had the clutch line fixed and bled, the car still would not come out of gear. I was able to shift in between gears, start the car with the clutch in, and put the car in reverse. When the car was on the ground, it would move forward or backward depending on gear. When the shifter was in neutral, the car would still move forward when I let the clutch out. With the rear wheels in the air, they could be stopped from rotating with the ebrake without bogging down the engine at all.

Pulled the console and shifter to make sure things were lined up correctly and the shift lever was not out of the cup, and that was correct. Chris (doktor B) and my shop mate suggested that the clutch may have been installed backwards, which I was hoping was not the case, especially after buying a car to part out with the same issue. Set up to pull the trans completely, which is a pain in the ass with the CX kit once everything is installed since the headers cradle the bellhousing. I ended up pulling it from the bellhousing instead. Clutch was installed correctly and nothing looked out of place there.

My shop mate is a heavy equipment mechanic, so he came in huge helping me with the next part, as I know next to nothing about the inner workings of a transmission. The input shaft was very tough to turn with the transmission out of the car. We pulled the front plate, and found that there were hammer marks around the holes for the two races in the cover, and that both races were loose in the cover. Additionally, one of the bearings on the counter shaft had a damaged cage. We put the cover back on without torqueing to spec, and found that the input moved like it should have instead of being bound up against the cover. Best guess is that the races were shimmed incorrectly, and put too much preload on the main shaft, causing torque to be transferred through it to move the tires.

Called Tick on Tuesday, and ordered a shim kit, new front seals, new main and counter shaft bearings and races, and a new rear seal just because. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Haven't been working on the car much since ordering parts. Had a BBQ at the shop over the weekend, so we were trying to get it cleaned up, get the parts car stripped, and the shell gone, so I didn't get to mess with the Techno M3 much. I did get the catch can and coolant overflow mostly done today though.

And here's a video of a buddy doing a burnout in his New Edge at the BBQ, just because. No crowds harmed.
    Last edited by squashman702; 05-22-2017 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Trans issue seems to be sorted after correcting the preload issues.

Drove it last night, in first gear, and just around the parking lot outside of my shop. Felt good to actually drive it, but it still needs a lot of sorting.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Excellent!

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Big milestone! Congrats!

Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Tried to sort out some of the issues today, bled the power steering, bled the clutch again, and brought the toe in some. I was able to drive it up and down the street where the shop is located, getting it into 3rd and 4th gear. For some reason, first and second don't like to engage when moving at all, but will go in from a stop. 3rd and 4th seem to be okay, clutch feel seems to be improving slightly, which is what I've read will happen with the LS7 setup. Car has a ton of torque down low and moves well without taking it over 3K RPM or so. It did get up to about 215-220 when the fan kicked on, but the cooling system isn't bled yet and it's running straight tap water for the moment, so I'm not upset. Oil pressure was around 35-40 PSI when warm.

Here's some more pictures, I need to figure out how to use my DSLR again. It's been a bit. Also, the car desperately needs a bath.

Rear camber is a little off . . .

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Every step forward is one step closer to ripping on that thing peoperly.
    keep it up!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    T56 seems to still be acting up. It doesn't want to go into first unless it's at a dead stop, and is not shifting nicely between first and second. It gets much better when I double clutch. Clutch was bled a couple of times and is engaging a little bit off the floor. I flushed the fluid once already and replaced with half syncromesh and half Dex III to see if that improved the shifting, and it doesn't seem like it has. Any T56 experts care to chime in?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    what clutch MC are you using?
    do you have a remote bleeder for the clutch slave?
    i assume you shimmed the clutch correctly, if at all.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    what clutch MC are you using?
    do you have a remote bleeder for the clutch slave?
    i assume you shimmed the clutch correctly, if at all.
    Sorry, should have specified. LS7 clutch and flywheel, stock MC, new GM slave. Remote bleeder for the clutch.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    To me it sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. I had a similar problem with a different car years ago (hard to shift or get in first/reverse). Was parked on level ground with clutch in and in first gear, when reving the engine up the car would move forward couple inches. Had to shim the throw out bearing.

As for the fluid in the trans, I have tried dextron and it would be fine until trying to shift at high rpm. It would feel clunky and grind going into every gear at high rpm. I removed that fluid and put in Quakerstates equivalent atf, I couldn't tell it was any different. Felt the same and was still disappointed. Did lots of searching and some people run Royal Purple atf with good results. So that's what I put in, now I can shift at any rpm as fast as I want and it's great. No clunking, no grinding. One thing I did notice with it though, when driving like grandma and shifting really slow there is very little positive engagement feeling when shifting. I don't get the "click" feeling that I had in other standard trans cars when going into the next gear.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lloydjoe; 06-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Got the car registered on Friday, and took it for it's first real ride on the road. Initial impressions are that the power seems to be everywhere with this car. I can shift almost normally if I avoid 2nd gear. Thinking I have a bad synchro at this point. I drove about 15 miles on Saturday near my shop, then took it back into Boston where I live so that I could bring it to a show the next day, about a 25 mile drive of highway and city. The car behaved normally for the test drive and most of the trip, until it randomly shut off a few miles from where I live. The car felt like I randomly lost fuel, so I checked pressure at the rail, and I had fuel come out of the valve. The next day, the issue continued to get worse. The car will stumble and then die, worse as it gets warm. I was able to drive it about four or five miles Sunday before the issue started happening, then took it out later again, and had problems within two or so miles and ten minutes of driving. I left it again for another couple of hours, in an attempt to get it back to my shop later in the evening, and the car was acting up within a couple of thousand feet of driving.

Fuel setup is a 5 wire truck MAF, Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump with a -6AN feed from the C5 Corvette filter/regulator. Stock BMW lines behind the regulator. EVAP is hooked up and wired.

Here's where I'm at so far.
    -Codes P0101 for the MAF being out of range, P1635 (I had the MAP sensor and oil pressure sender plugged in backwards), and a second P1635, guessing because I'm not running the stock oil pressure sender at the back of the block.
    -Fuel pressure tested at 78 psi at the rail at idle with a gauge, which seems way too high. I tested after the car started acting up, and it dropped to maybe 72-74 psi at idle.
    -Fuel filter cover is not on the car as I forgot to install, but I wrapped the regulator in reflective heat tape as a temporary fix until I can get the car back to the shop. I was worried the exhaust was too close to the filter/regulator. I measured the fittings at the rail with a heat gun, and they were around 130 degrees, so I don't think I'm having an issue with fuel boiling once the car gets warm.
    -Engine seems to be running at normal temps according to the heat gun. The Prosport gauges I bought seem to have already failed.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Not sure how long the car has been sitting but did you pump-out and replace the fuel before starting the LS?

Tipsy

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Not sure how long the car has been sitting but did you pump-out and replace the fuel before starting the LS?

Tipsy
    Tank was dry until the first start up January 29. I had the tank out and drained and did the pump prior. I put 5 gallons of 93 in January. I filled the tank on Friday before I drove it and had dumped some injector cleaner in previously. I just had to go back and check the date of when that fuel went in the tank, but that may be part of my issue.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast