Thread: M62 Head Gasket Repair?

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6

M62 Head Gasket Repair?

Hello Ladies and Gents. Its been a while since I have been around these parts lol, but life happens. I just had a quick question on blown headgaskets? Yes I know I will probably get, just pull the heads or get someone to fix it but has anyone used head gasket sealers on the M62. I justwanted to see if anyone did it, what was the outcome, is the car still good? I have so much going on that I have absolutely no time to work on the car. Yes I know it sounds like an excuse but I have so much going on. So ummm.... yeahh. Anyone attempted this?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by larinah View Post
    Hello Ladies and Gents. Its been a while since I have been around these parts lol, but life happens. I just had a quick question on blown headgaskets? Yes I know I will probably get, just pull the heads or get someone to fix it but has anyone used head gasket sealers on the M62. I justwanted to see if anyone did it, what was the outcome, is the car still good? I have so much going on that I have absolutely no time to work on the car. Yes I know it sounds like an excuse but I have so much going on. So ummm.... yeahh. Anyone attempted this?
    Post a link(s) of such products you speak of

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    Post a link(s) of such products you speak of
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I know like Jaguar/ Land Rover uses Bars Sealers from the Factory to seat Headgaskets that dont want to set, but I dont know if anyone has tried it on our cars to repair one. I know how finicky our cars can be.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha! or if no one has done it, I'll just be the Guinea Pig

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Just dropped mine at the dealer. I hope it's only the head gasket. I personally do not like the stop leak products. I've been told that they work, but it's the residual they leave behind that will cost you in the future.

Just my $.02

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcdiver View Post
    Just dropped mine at the dealer. I hope it's only the head gasket. I personally do not like the stop leak products. I've been told that they work, but it's the residual they leave behind that will cost you in the future.

Just my $.02
    Gotcha. Im thinking of pulling the plug on it but we'll see. Thinking of attempting it and then immediately start saving for another motor lol. What happened to yours @Mcdiver? Symptoms?

My Cars
    2000 528i
    All I know is that it was overheating. It belonged to my nephew and he was attempting to repair the problem. He lost his life before he could complete the repair and I ended up with the car. I reassembled it with a new cooling system and as soon as I turned the key, it blew white smoke out. My bmw dealer offers discounts on the older cars, including free diagnostics, so I had it towed in today for them to figure it out. I'm hoping for something as simple as a blown gasket.
    Last edited by Mcdiver; 03-14-2016 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    All I know is that it was overheating. It belonged to my nephew and he was attempting to repair the problem. He lost his life before he could complete the repair and I ended up with the car. I reassembled it with a new cooling system and as soon as I turned the key, it blew white smoke out. My bmw dealer offers discounts on the older cars, including free diagnostics, so I had it towed in today for them to figure it out. I'm hoping for something as simple as a blown gasket.
    My condolences on your Nephew.

That would be your best bet before you start throwing money at it because it could be a few other things like the CCV Valve or just coolant that fell into the motor during the Cooling System job. Best of luck and keep us posted.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    1. How did you diagnose the head gasket leak? The M62 is not known for head gasket failures.

2. Where did you read that Jaguar and Land Rover use this stuff?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Thank you, and I hope to hear something tomorrow. I'm kinda fixing the car as a tribute to my nephew. I didn't want to see it parted out, he loved this car. Not that you could tell from all of the grease in the cabin. But, none the less.

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    Thank you, and I hope to hear something tomorrow. I'm kinda fixing the car as a tribute to my nephew. I didn't want to see it parted out, he loved this car. Not that you could tell from all of the grease in the cabin. But, none the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    1. How did you diagnose the head gasket leak? The M62 is not known for head gasket failures.

2. Where did you read that Jaguar and Land Rover use this stuff?
    1. White Smoke, High Pressure in motor, oil forcing itself out from under fil cap (got new cap because I thought the old one was toast, same thing). Coolant in the Spark Plug Holes.

2. It was a forum I dont remember. Some one did a head Gasket job (not BMW) and gasket did not seal properly. When he asked some tech friends they recommended he try the Bar's HG-1, unless he wanted to rip the car apart and redo the job. They said thats what they use from the factory when the gaskets dont set.

I'll see if I can find it.

- - - Updated - - -

@edjack It was on Bimmerfest

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=516669&page=2

My Cars
    2000 540i Msport

2. It was a forum I dont remember. Some one did a head Gasket job (not BMW) and gasket did not seal properly. When he asked some tech friends they recommended he try the Bar's HG-1, unless he wanted to rip the car apart and redo the job. They said thats what they use from the factory when the gaskets dont set.

- - - Updated - - -

Who ever said that is full of it, if that was the truth there would headlines as big as the VW emissions fake situation. Motors are built and tested before even making it to the assembly line, if it fails for any reason it's pulled and sent to re-man for inspection.

As for the bars product it seems to have high reviews but none the less it's still just a temporary fix.
    Renting: M62 G.A.S. Master timing tool kit & M62 KTC crankshaft holding tool

My Cars
    E39 540I
    1. White Smoke, High Pressure in motor, oil forcing itself out from under fil cap (got new cap because I thought the old one was toast, same thing). Coolant in the Spark Plug Holes.

- - - Updated - - -

JUST NO. The only time I have used this stuff was in an emergency situation and it got me home. In no way shape or form should you use this in a repair. It puts craps though your entire system and you will never get it all out.

E39540v8

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    Quote Originally Posted by E39540V8 View Post
    JUST NO. The only time I have used this stuff was in an emergency situation and it got me home. In no way shape or form should you use this in a repair. It puts craps though your entire system and you will never get it all out.

E39540v8
    Thanks for the input. I will just do the job. Appreciate all you guys for steering me away from half-assing the job. I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe do a DIY