Thread: Cruise Control Retrofit

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters

Cruise Control Retrofit

Hi

My 2000 2.0L Z3 did not have Cruise Control. The 2000 3.0L Z3 does and I enjoy using it. Purchased a secondhand cruise control set up. It consisted of the interface and the steering column mounted switch, see photo. It took me about an hour to fit and test. A really easy upgrade.

1) Took the bottom steering controls panel and drivers side under dash panels off and found the cruise control plug tucked in the wiring harness (photo).
    2) Zip tied the interface to the wiring harness and plugged in the car side plug
    3) Fitted the interface to switch connector to the connector blocks on the steering column. (photo, connector is the one showing round pins).
    4) Clipped the cruise control switch to the steering column switch mounts, routed the cables and plugged the switch into the cruise control interface.
    5) Removed the rectangular cruise control switch cut-out (clearly marked) in the bottom of the steering controls panel (photo)
    6) Reassembled all of the panels and off for a test drive.

Works a treat, one of the easiest plug and play mod's I've ever done.

Technical Stuff
    This works for face-lift models only as they either have a Motor Driven Throttle (MDK) or a Electronic Throttle (EDK).
    If you want to do this retrofit, double check to confirm that your car has one of these engines:
    - M52TUB20
    - M52TUB28
    - M54B22
    - M54B25
    - M54B30

Regards

Muzz

DSC03339.JPGDSC03340.JPGDSC03342.JPGDSC03344.JPGDSC03348.JPG
    Last edited by Muzz258; 03-14-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Sweet... might have to think of doing this... thanks for the writeup. :-)

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    What about the cruse cable to the throttle body under the hood?
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    What about the cruse cable to the throttle body under the hood?
    No such thing on M52tu and M54. Electronic throttle, cruise control is all in software.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    The M52TUBXX engines have the prototype Drive by Wire throttle bodies with cable drive on one end of the butterfly spindle and motor drive on the other end. They use a spring system to allow both drives to work as one. The M54BXX have the full drive by wire throttle bodies. Thus the cruise control is all in the software, just need the interface module and steering column switch. Nothing else. Not even a DME re-flash to enable it. Its that simple.

You don't need any cables to the throttle bodies like you would if you had preface-lift cable throttle body. These need a Tempomat kit (separate motor cable drive unit) that drives the cable throttle system.
    Last edited by Muzz258; 03-14-2016 at 02:23 AM.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2000 z3
    Muzz,
    Just purchased 2000 z3 and have manual tranny. Is this upgrade applicable or will I need additional parts? According to vin and information I have found I have M52TU/B25 engine. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    It's all plug and play as per the DIY.

You may need to add a clutch switch. There are two types. The early models had a 2 wire switch, the later models had a 3 wire hall effect sensor. Check out post 4 in this link.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...cruise+control
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    2000 z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post

You may need to add a clutch switch. There are two types. The early models had a 2 wire switch, the later models had a 3 wire hall effect sensor. Check out post 4 in this link.

Thanks gentlemen. Will be purchasing parts and giving this upgrade a try.

My Cars
    2000 z3
    I was just that easy!! Got cruise stalk off ebay and module from dealership. Total cost bout $100. The clutch switch was already in place and plugged in. The hardest part was removing and reinstalling dash panels. Thanks again Muzz and deni for the resources provided from your posts.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyrabbit View Post
    Thanks again Muzz and deni for the resources provided from your posts.
    Welcome!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post

Hi im purchasing the stalk switch and and the interface module currently to install on my 2000 2l euro spec z3 M52B20TU. The date of build on my car is nov 99. Will the clutch switch likey be in place and if not how to know which clutch switch i need
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    I see your location is CA. I'm guessing that is somewhere in America. You have a Euro spec 2.0L Z3, which I know about as I have one. In America, manual cars need to have a "starter immobilsation switch" clutch switch, which means that the clutch peddle has to be pushed down before you can start the engine. The Euro spec Z3's do not normally have this function. Does your Z3 have this function?

Euro spec Z3's come with the clutch switch for cruise control (and other functions) already fitted. American spec Z3's do not.

So, as you have a Euro spec Z3 in America, the easiest way to sort out your car, is to drop the knee panels under the steering wheel and have a look at the clutch switches to see what is there.

Use this link to get your Z3's wiring diagrams http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/20...g%20Manual.pdf

See drawing 7100.0-20
    - S235 is the starter immobilsation switch, mounted on the left side of the clutch peddle.
    - S32 is the clutch switch, mounted on the right side of the clutch peddle.

See drawing 6571.0-03. Your clutch switch is a three wire version.

If you need to purchase a clutch switch, load the last seven digit of your VIN number into www.realoem.com and find the part number specific to your car.

Good luck with the cruise control installation, you'll enjoy driving the car with cruise control.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    Yes took off panel this PM and saw clutch switch on Rt side of peddle close to the brake switch....also saw the small 3 prong plug that im assuming plugs into the control interface ( which i just ordered from the US..yes im in Canada) and found the cruise control switch on a z3 forum.
    Im hoping this is all plug and play