Thread: Differential stuck to drive shaft

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i

Differential stuck to drive shaft

Any tips on how I can the differential off from the drive shaft. I have all the bolts off for the differential the only thing keep it up is the hydraulic lift and the drive shaft.

I already broke a flathead trying to pry it off in the grooves.
    Tried chiseling, wd40 and other penetrants. The thing does not want to budge
    Also, is the drive shaft supposed to be able to move side to side?
    Hope I didn't damage something by pulling on the differential.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Define what you mean by "side to side"
    I recently dropped my subframe and had a similar issue.
    I ended up dropping the sub with the diff and the shaft connected to the diff...I even removed the diff and shaft together to attack it individually.
    I tried all of those things you said but a quick trip to sears's tool department and buying a 17" pry bar...put the pry bar in either of those slots and be amazed at how easily it pops off.

To put perspective to the diff question...I dropped my diff when trying to jack it into place...like dropped it on the concrete from a height of like 4-5"....runs fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    The differential is one of the strongest pieces of the car. Don't be afraid to man handle it.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    The differential is one of the strongest pieces of the car. Don't be afraid to man handle it.
    Agreed, the diff is just a big hunk of metal with other big hunks of metal encased in a viscous fluid...maybe if you dropped it from, say, 20' +...or took a pneumatic demo hammer to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I gave mine a couple hits with my air chisel in the slotted areas and it came loose.

My Cars
    07 328i
    I had the same problem, trying to remove the driveshaft from the differential on my E90. Car spent 7 years on the east coast before moving to California, so was pretty much rusted together. Spent two days soaking with PB, prying with a screwdriver and prybar, using a long 2x4 against it and hammering, wasn't budging. Finally used a cold chisel and a heavy hammer, on the edges close to where the bolt holes are. Gave a few pretty good taps, rotated 90' and hit the next edge, did this all the way around. Then did it again on the opposite side of the bolt hole. This is where you need hope and patience. Maybe after the 3rd pass around,the flange started to separate a tiny bit ... kept going until the drive shaft came off. Definitely need something more heavy duty than a screwdriver if it's rusted pretty bad, but it will eventually come off with enough force.