My Cars
    2001 540i sport

The 2004 E53 Project!!

Good day all!

I have an E39 that I love, but I found this 2004 E53 with the 4.4L for next to nothing. It was a deal I couldn't turn down despite the small problem with the title work that I am still trying to resolve. And so the adventure with this project begins!!

Here she is in all her glory! I really do apologize for not getting a picture outside of the garage. It was an after thought, but it would have been too much of an ordeal to pull her back out of the garage just for a picture. Her VIN is: 5UXFB53574LV01785 for those that are curious. She seems fairly well loaded with all the goodies I didn't have in my 2001 version a few years back. She has NAV with the 16:9 display, but the display is not completely perfect. The DVD for the NAV doesn't work right either. The PO moved the CD changer to the glove box. I moved it back today. The interior temp controls were stuck on. I tore that apart yesterday, cleaned it up, and put it back together. I've done a bunch of other small things. The outside mirrors have power fold-in. The DS mirror didn't work for some reason. I pulled that apart and found the stop point had broken off and was getting in the way of normal operation. I'm dealing with an air suspension issue that I will be getting to in a few.

And the main reason why I got this so cheap... The motor had a bad knock in the bottom end. I have not diagnosed the exact issue, but I am going to suspect the number 6 cylinder is the cause. It is the only cylinder that I am not getting good power as evident of the valves and spark plug.

The motor is completely covered in oil and road grime!! The oil pressure sending unit is leaking a ton of oil!! I suspect this is the root cause of the knock. The underside of the motor is a total mess. I am still debating just pulling the motor, cleaning it until it shines, and rebuilding it if the block is still perfect.

Okay, now the fun part everyone!!!

I have done the searches. I have combed and sifted through all the posts I could find about the air ride suspension. My X5 is not following suit with the posts I have been reading. There are two fuses for the Air Suspension in the rear, along with the purple relay. However, the two fuses only have a power lead; no feeder to anything else. There is no relay under the cover with the compressor. I could not find the control box behind the glove box. I have the 5 on jack stands now and all the bags check out visually. I can not get the bags to fill cause I can't get the compressor to power up. The two fuses in the back, and the one above the glove box were the only three that I could associate to the Air Suspension. Thoughts?!?

Here, I pulled the two fuses for the air suspension. The 7.5A three to the right of the open spot; and the 30A at the right end.

So, I am at a loss for the Air Suspension! Short of pulling all the panels and tracing the wires, I don't know where else to look for the control module. I'll be updating this as I progress!!

Cheers for now!!
    Last edited by william540i; 03-09-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: picture error...

My Cars
    00' X5 4.4i, 11' X5 35i
    William,

The Air Ride module is located in the area next to the battery. Pull that cover and you will find 2 or 3 modules in there. I had a leak in my hatch and that area filled with water and shorted the module. Ebay had one used for 100 bucks. Disconnected the Battery (so it wouldn't generate a code), plugged in the new module and voila. Worked like a champ. Good Luck.

I'm doing the same kind of rebuild of my M62 (2000 X5 E53). Just changed the valley pan, water pump, and about to send the VANOS off for a rebuild.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Cool project.

From my reading I believe the airbags will NOT fill with the wheels off the ground. It senses this and shuts down.

Thaniel

My Cars
    BMW X5 2010
    My X5 2010 suspension compressor is shorting out how can I diagnosis it for repair?