Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap, 98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    thanks, is it the same (34mm) as the upper S52 radiator hose? i'm going to relocate my temp switch to the upper radiator hose for track days or in the summer when its 100*+ here in Utah.. im going to keep the 80/88 switch in the radiator stock location and add another 80/88 switch in the upper hose.. all i do then is just unplug the wire connector.. and switch them.. of course i need to extend the wire connector first
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    thanks, is it the same (34mm) as the upper S52 radiator hose? i'm going to relocate my temp switch to the upper radiator hose for track days or in the summer when its 100*+ here in Utah.. im going to keep the 80/88 switch in the radiator stock location and add another 80/88 switch in the upper hose.. all i do then is just unplug the wire connector.. and switch them.. of course i need to extend the wire connector first
    Not sure, you could guesstimate by measuring the OD of each.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Jealous / badass swap!!

Are you going to make a trip down SoCal sometime? Would love to see the car in person

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    You could always wire up a switch & diode so the the aux fan would come on high at 80c when you wanted. That may have the same effect without cutting the top hose, getting another temp switch, wiring, etc.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    How would I do that?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    How would I do that?
    Let me look at diagrams, will post details later this weekend.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Be careful having temp sensor in upper hose. Had a guy a while back that had set his up like that and lost the hcore plastic pipes on track and temp gauge of course never moved because there was no coolant there in the upper hose anymore.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    My question got ignored or maybe you missed it

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    what i would rather do... is use my fog light button (since im not using fog lights) to be able to turn the fan on and off.. and in the even i forget to switch it off when parked.. upon engine off, the fans will shut off too... just need to also get around not having to turn on the main lights as well for it to work
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    what i would rather do... is use my fog light button (since im not using fog lights) to be able to turn the fan on and off.. and in the even i forget to switch it off when parked.. upon engine off, the fans will shut off too... just need to also get around not having to turn on the main lights as well for it to work
    Mine turns on the low and high temp settings. It also comes on anytime I turn on the ac which gives me a de facto switch without any extra work. Plus I can stay cool in the summer and keep my engine cool as well.

Don't remember exactly how I did it but it wasn't that hard. I've posted about it in the long electric fan thread. It was something to do with jumping into both wires. If you decide to do this and still need help I might be able to get a pic later.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    Jealous / badass swap!!

Are you going to make a trip down SoCal sometime? Would love to see the car in person
    Probably not, family car is used for trips like that.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    Mine turns on the low and high temp settings. It also comes on anytime I turn on the ac which gives me a de facto switch without any extra work. Plus I can stay cool in the summer and keep my engine cool as well.

Don't remember exactly how I did it but it wasn't that hard. I've posted about it in the long electric fan thread. It was something to do with jumping into both wires. If you decide to do this and still need help I might be able to get a pic later.
    great thanks for the info... i'll do a search for that thread
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    This is my latest exhaust - E46 section 1 with added AR20 resonator + E46 section 2 mated to E36 M3 muffler. Section 1 fit great, section 2 needed mount cut off and new one fabricated. Mating section 2 to E36 muffler was a lot of work.

It has zero rasp and is probably about as loud as a stock E36 M3 but sounds a bit different.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    This is my latest exhaust - E46 section 1 with added AR20 resonator + E46 section 2 mated to E36 M3 muffler. Section 1 fit great, section 2 needed mount cut off and new one fabricated. Mating section 2 to E36 muffler was a lot of work.

It has zero rasp and is probably about as loud as a stock E36 M3 but sounds a bit different.
    Nice! I just finished making a similar one. I'm running stock headers, stock section 1 (cause I'm borrowing it), and I combined the resonator and merge sections of the E46 section 2 with the muffler and pipes of the E36 M3. It's waaaaaaay quiet compared to the AA exhaust I had before. I'll grab pictures next chance I get. The exhaust isn't pretty, but I made it solely to pass Laguna's sound limit. I wanted to keep as much of the E36 routing as possible around the subframe and suspension parts rather than use most of the section 2 part. Granted, mine probably flows poorly, from combining the D and O pipes together kludgily.

Next step for me is supersprints and catted section 1, to which this will mate.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 05-10-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I finally got OBD2 evap readiness to set. I programmed the CAN interface to emulate more cluster functions by sending fuel level, outdoor temp, and running clock values to the DME. They are fake values but real enough for the DME to decide to run the DMTL test after every other 20min drive.

I have an appointment with the CA BAR ref next month and hope to be certified as a legal swap.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 06-09-2016 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I finally got OBD2 evap readiness to set. I programmed the CAN interface to emulate more cluster functions by sending fuel level, outdoor temp, and running clock values to the DME. They are fake values but real enough for the DME to decide to run the DMTL test after every other 20min drive.

I have an appointment with the CA BAR ref next month and hope to be certified as a legal swap.
    NICE!!! Good luck! Where's your appt?

I did a pre-test at a local smog shop to make sure the plug in and tailpipe were within limits. Might be worth doing in case there are any surprises. Then again, doing so will clear all your readiness monitors.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    NICE!!! Good luck! Where's your appt?

I did a pre-test at a local smog shop to make sure the plug in and tailpipe were within limits. Might be worth doing in case there are any surprises. Then again, doing so will clear all your readiness monitors.
    I'm going in on July 1st. I didn't think about a pre-test and may get that done. Did you bring any documentation? I don't want to point out my z3m airbox as I'm smogging it as an E46 M3.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 06-10-2016 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I'm going in on July 1st. I didn't think about a pre-test and may get that done. Did you bring any documentation? I don't want to point out my z3m airbox as I'm smogging it as an E46 M3.
    I didn't bring anything with me. They weren't concerned that my Z3M airbox didn't match the E46 charcoal canister

If your cluster and DME don't have the same VIN, I'd fix that. A friend got dinged for that on his E46 non-M -> M swap.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    If your cluster and DME don't have the same VIN, I'd fix that. A friend got dinged for that on his E46 non-M -> M swap.
    Not sure I want to do that - I'm still running my E36 cluster. Will they even be able to communicate with my cluster? That requires using an ADS interface and the pacman connector.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Not sure I want to do that - I'm still running my E36 cluster. Will they even be able to communicate with my cluster? That requires using an ADS interface and the pacman connector.
    That might not be an issue then. I'll ask him next time I see him what the ref complained about.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I had my ref appointment and failed. I provided little documentation - just the donor car's year & vin and a list of the smog stuff I brought over (cats, sap, evap purge valve, and carbon canister/DMTL). They took the car somewhere out of sight for 2 hours and I sat in a small windowless waiting room. They didn't care about the Z3M airbox or my temporary ghetto un-mounted carbon canister lying in the spare tire well. Here is why I failed:

-"suspicious" dash wiring: I removed my OBC and relocated the HVAC controls to that spot. I'll be installing a 7" tablet in the dash and have an E46 bluetooth TCU and radio in the trunk. There is currently a large opening in the dash and an Android IOIO board + MBED microcontroller were visible. They want me to remove some interior panels panels (maybe center console?) and show that none of that stuff is wired to the DME.

-DME stored codes: This surprised me as I checked the car with an OBD2 reader and have no codes and all monitors set. They used a snap-on scanner that can speak BMW protocols and I had a few codes that were caused by some troubleshooting a few weeks back. I'll have to clear them before my next appointment and make sure they do not return.

-Calibration ID/CVN mismatch: This really surprised me. Each program & data software version from BMW has a Calibration ID, basically a version number. Some method (checksum?) is used to ensure the software has not been modified. I've deleted EWS, deleted some codes, and re-mapped throttle pedal sensitivity so one of the CVNs did not match the expected value. I had read up on CalID/CVN but assumed it was not something they would look at. This may take some effort to overcome as I can't flash back to stock and have the car run with no EWS. I may be able to get around the issue thanks to some info here - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=881

Here is the carbon canister setup that passed: (!?!?!?)
    IMG_4176.jpg

And dash wiring that failed:
    IMG_4178.jpg
    Last edited by gpeterson; 07-01-2016 at 04:03 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Wow, that sucks. I knew Cali BAR was strict but that's a little ridiculous. Here in Colorado you need to have whatever the donor engine has. When I did the LSx swap on my 944 that meant having an operational OBD2 port with check engine light, 2 cats, 4 O2 sensors and all the evap etc stuff and all the emissions readiness monitors set.

If I ever go S54 I assume it'll be much the same although it should be easier since my M3 is already an OBD2 equipped car...
    Last edited by DocWyte; 03-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I had my ref appointment and failed. I provided little documentation - just the donor car's year & vin and a list of the smog stuff I brought over (cats, sap, evap purge valve, and carbon canister/DMTL). They took the car somewhere out of sight for 2 hours and I sat in a small windowless waiting room. They didn't care about the Z3M airbox or my temporary ghetto un-mounted carbon canister lying in the spare tire well. Here is why I failed:

-"suspicious" dash wiring: I removed my OBC and relocated the HVAC controls to that spot. I'll be installing a 7" tablet in the dash and have an E46 bluetooth TCU and radio in the trunk. There is currently a large opening in the dash and an Android IOIO board + MBED microcontroller were visible. They want me to remove some interior panels panels (maybe center console?) and show that none of that stuff is wired to the DME.

-DME stored codes: This surprised me as I checked the car with an OBD2 reader and have no codes and all monitors set. They used a snap-on scanner that can speak BMW protocols and I had a few codes that were caused by some troubleshooting a few weeks back. I'll have to clear them before my next appointment and make sure they do not return.

-Calibration ID/CVN mismatch: This really surprised me. Each program & data software version from BMW has a Calibration ID, basically a version number. Some method (checksum?) is used to ensure the software has not been modified. I've deleted EWS, deleted some codes, and re-mapped throttle pedal sensitivity so one of the CVNs did not match the expected value. I had read up on CalID/CVN but assumed it was not something they would look at. This may take some effort to overcome as I can't flash back to stock and have the car run with no EWS. I may be able to get around the issue thanks to some info here - http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=881

Here is the carbon canister setup that passed: (!?!?!?)

And dash wiring that failed:
    Damn, that sucks!

For the wiring, can you hide it by replacing the stock panels and then going to a different ref? Or just pull out all the entertainment stuff?

For the codes, did you check with INPA? I had many that popped up with the OE tools that didn't pop up with the OBD Bluetooth readers (though, the only remaining one at this point is gear position switch not found). Which codes were they annoyed by?

I reflashed mine to have no EWS but that was it, and it passed the plug in check. Can you flash it back to stock, do only an EWS delete, and try again? Seems odd that they would care about the throttle map portion.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Wow, that sucks. I knew Cali BAR was strict but that's a little ridiculous. Here in Colorado you're need to have whatever the donor engine has. When I did the LSx swap on my 944 that meant having an operational OBD2 port with check engine light, 2 cats, 4 O2 sensors and all the evap etc stuff and all the emissions readiness monitors set.

If I ever go S54 I assume it'll be much the same although it should be easier since my M3 is already an OBD2 equipped car...
    If you don't build your own harness, you can just buy an adapter harness that has an OBD2 port. That's what I did on my OBD1 95.

The interesting thing about CO emissions is that you don't have to have stock equipment, just the same number of items as came on the car. You also could not be failed for having a CEL light illuminated, though this was ~4 years ago when I lived there. Engine swaps they might take a little more effort into, but the other loophole is to just convert it to run E85 and be classed as an 'alternative fuel vehicle' and be smog exempt. I have a few friends with Evo/STi who did that.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Right, they don't care what cats you have, as long as you have the proper amount of them.

You can fail with a check engine light on now but it has to be an emissions related code...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    For the wiring, can you hide it by replacing the stock panels and then going to a different ref? Or just pull out all the entertainment stuff?
    They said I need to remove panels and show that the wiring runs to the trunk.

For the codes, did you check with INPA? I had many that popped up with the OE tools that didn't pop up with the OBD Bluetooth readers (though, the only remaining one at this point is gear position switch not found). Which codes were they annoyed by?
    Yes, INPA showed a knock code and two cylinder misfires. I replaced coils a while back but didn't clear codes. No OBD2 codes. They care about all of them, said I must have zero codes.

I reflashed mine to have no EWS but that was it, and it passed the plug in check. Can you flash it back to stock, do only an EWS delete, and try again? Seems odd that they would care about the throttle map portion.
    I haven't done that yet but am guessing it won't work. The CVN is likely a checksum of the entire calibration section, its purpose is to confirm the flash hasn't been modified. I'm guessing your ref didn't look at the CVN, it seems the BAR ref process is very subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Right, they don't care what cats you have, as long as you have the proper amount of them.

You can fail with a check engine light on now but it has to be an emissions related code...
    Neither is true in CA - you must have the OE exhaust & cats, anything after the cats is fine. CEL regardless of cause is a smog failure.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 07-06-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast