Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap, 98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Fantastic build! Love the details and custom work you put in. I will be starting my S54 build soon. I have all the parts waiting to go.

-Nick

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Yes. It really does work well. My spal puller would cycle on & off when it has hot outside and I was stopped in traffic. The PWM aux fan turns at a very low speed once the motor hits operating temp and speeds up if need be. I haven't done much driving in hot weather but I bet it will do the job quietly and my spal will rarely kick on.

- - - Updated - - -

I planned on taking it in as a 2003 M3.

- - - Updated - - -

My car already had 2 clutch switches - one that detects when the pedal is down all the way, runs to EWS. The other is a 2 pin (if I remember correctly) and detects when the pedal is barely pressed. I have it wired to the DME.

I had already retrofitted my car with a 3-spoke steering wheel and MFL buttons, so they are wired straight to the DME.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it will. Let me know if you run into issues there. I have a 2001 Z3 non-M cluster on my desk and used it to verify some things when I built the CAN interface board.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it is too crappy and I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Everyone says merging to single doesn't work well at all.

I'll be re-doing it soon with another section 1 & 2 that I have. I already added a 2nd resonator to the section 1 to cut rasp:

I'll be cutting the mount from section 2 and creating a new mount that uses the stock E36 hangers. I'm a bit undecided on muffler but may try to mate the section 2 with the stock E36 muffler. I'll post pictures when it is done.
    Nice move with the added resonator. Max Psi added another stock resonator to the stock section 1, and I'm also using stock section 2 from the e46 m3. I'm running a UUC corsa rear muffler, and it can be loud when you get on it. Below is a pictures of what the exhaust looks like.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Awesome swap. Nice to see someone finally paying attention to the details that matter!

Curious, will you be upgrading the headers? I'm a little surprised you opted not to at least do the Euro setup instead..

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Nice move with the added resonator. Max Psi added another stock resonator to the stock section 1, and I'm also using stock section 2 from the e46 m3. I'm running a UUC corsa rear muffler, and it can be loud when you get on it. Below is a pictures of what the exhaust looks like.
    You are one that gave me the idea to use part of section 2 - thanks! Any idea how far back the section 2 was joined to the muffler? I haven't started to work on that part of mine yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    Awesome swap. Nice to see someone finally paying attention to the details that matter!

Curious, will you be upgrading the headers? I'm a little surprised you opted not to at least do the Euro setup instead..
    Thanks! I'm sure I left out many details and will add things to the first post as I remember them.

I'm in California and will be getting the car smog legal. I may switch to euro headers and add cats to the section 1 at some point.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    skateboard
    You are one that gave me the idea to use part of section 2 - thanks! Any idea how far back the section 2 was joined to the muffler? I haven't started to work on that part of mine yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I'm sure I left out many details and will add things to the first post as I remember them.

I'm in California and will be getting the car smog legal. I may switch to euro headers and add cats to the section 1 at some point.

Its the entire section 2 section from the e46 m3. Remeber the e46 m3 muffler is like a massive rectangle that takes up the space of where the spare tire would be(another reason the e46 m3 sucks no spare tire section). You can use any e36 m3 muffler, but have to cut the pipes going into the muffler(leaving about 2-3 inches of pipe to weld onto the section 2). I like what you did with the A/C, and using the z3m cluster. I'll be swapping in the Euro e36 m3 cluster this week. I also have AC working in my car, but mine is working differently then the way you did yours. I'm also running the stock fan clutch, but I may end up going with an electric fan like what you. What cfm is the you have rated at?
    Last edited by GG///M3; 03-12-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I like what you did with the A/C, and using the z3m cluster. I'll be swapping in the Euro e36 m3 cluster this week. I also have AC working in my car, but mine is working differently then the way you did yours. I'm also running the stock fan clutch, but I may end up going with an electric fan like what you. What cfm is the you have rated at?
    I'm not using the z3m cluster, I build a CAN interface board that emulates certain cluster functions (A/C control, check engine light, etc)

I'm running the stock E36 aux pusher fan but it is wired to an E46 PWM fan controller + a SPAL puller fan, can't remember the specs but it is a 16".

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Wow, this build is a huge inspiration - nice work!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    Ok. I had the same, with the E36 2-pin clutch switch. I kept getting errors for the switch after wiring it in, as it didn't like the output from the simple switch. I swapped it with a 3 pin switch (power, DME, ground), and cruise works flawlessly and there aren't any errors.

For the brake/test switches, I didn't need to do any logic for them, just wired them up. I believe I followed Z3M wiring and it worked, the key is to have them send opposite signals to the DME. I assume you have INPA to check signal input states? That should be all you need.
    Maybe the info I got from http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/E38_Brake_Light_System.pdf applies only to non-M E46. Would you mind checking your car with INPA and letting me know the S_BLS & S_BLTS values when the brake pedal is at rest and depressed?

The z3m diagram shows both switches connect to 12v when the pedal is pressed:

I don't have an equivalent diagram for the E46 M3, but if it operates the same way it conflicts with the PDF.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 03-14-2016 at 01:42 PM.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Awesome work here! As for exhaust choice, an e36 m3 Stromung cat back would sound great and be on the quieter side. For quieter, but good flowing, Flo Pro make a nice dual in, dual out muffler that's on the quieter side, and has more bass to it. The E36 M3 AA gen 3 sounds amazing as well, but will be on the louder side. Here is 96LTWM3's (@csl_e36 on instagram) former dual 2.5" exhaust with ebay headers, Flo Pro dual in, dual out mid muffler and AA Gen 3 rear: (remember headers make the car WAY louder, so just the catback wouldn't be too loud)

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    Awesome work here! As for exhaust choice, an e36 m3 Stromung cat back would sound great and be on the quieter side. For quieter, but good flowing, Flo Pro make a nice dual in, dual out muffler that's on the quieter side, and has more bass to it. The E36 M3 AA gen 3 sounds amazing as well, but will be on the louder side. Here is 96LTWM3's (@csl_e36 on instagram) former dual 2.5" exhaust with ebay headers, Flo Pro dual in, dual out mid muffler and AA Gen 3 rear: (remember headers make the car WAY louder, so just the catback wouldn't be too loud)
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to avoid buying an expensive catback just to cut it up, but I do like the idea of something that already has tips to fit the E36 nicely.

My Cars
    E36, E46

Looking forward to seeing all the updates!

S54 deserves proper headers (and muffler based on more recent posts). It's just too good to keep the factory handicap in place.. OE Euro setup should pass Smog no problem - you should "preheat" the car before testing regardless The US stuff was just for quicker cold start. Visually though, BMW part numbers on everything anyways so state employee would question it.

You should just look into a Supersprint Euro (S50b32) setup for proper size piping... may not even have to modify it to fit?
    Last edited by jvit27; 03-14-2016 at 03:09 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    S54 deserves proper headers (and muffler based on more recent posts). It's just too good to keep the factory handicap in place.. OE Euro setup should pass Smog no problem - you should "preheat" the car before testing regardless The US stuff was just for quicker cold start. Visually though, BMW part numbers on everything anyways so state employee would question it.
    Agreed, except for "OE Euro setup should pass Smog no problem". Slim chance of that for a California car that will be certified as a legal engine swap. The car must be taken to ref station and they take a look at *everything*. Once that is done a regular smog check is required every 2 years and it may be possible to get away with euro headers and section 1 for that.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Looks like I just solved my DMTL issue with a bit of help from Bimmerman535i. He mentioned the possibility of swapping some pins to get things working.

It appears the E46 M3 diagram/pinouts for DMTL are incorrect. I looked at the E39 M5 (MSS42, very similar to MSS54, uses heated DMTL) and noticed how the was DMTL wired:

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.35.08 PM.png

z3m is similar but doesn't have heated DMTL:

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.40.30 PM.png

I moved X60004 pin 20 to 28 and the INPA DMTL test now passes. I'll have to spend some time driving but am optimistic the evap monitor will soon be set.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 03-15-2016 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Agreed, except for "OE Euro setup should pass Smog no problem". Slim chance of that for a California car that will be certified as a legal engine swap. The car must be taken to ref station and they take a look at *everything*. Once that is done a regular smog check is required every 2 years and it may be possible to get away with euro headers and section 1 for that.
    Sorry, I meant in terms of the actual sniffer test. You'd obviously take a chance by not using the US spec stuff but being stamped BMW parts you might get lucky as the inspector likely doesn't know the difference.

FYI I recall reading awhile ago that S54 headers with flanges (IE not SS stepped V1) will mate up to a the S50b32 midsection/muffler so that might be another legal-friendly option for you since you could reference the E36 layout rather than E46..

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Sorry, I meant in terms of the actual sniffer test. You'd obviously take a chance by not using the US spec stuff but being stamped BMW parts you might get lucky as the inspector likely doesn't know the difference.

FYI I recall reading awhile ago that S54 headers with flanges (IE not SS stepped V1) will mate up to a the S50b32 midsection/muffler so that might be another legal-friendly option for you since you could reference the E36 layout rather than E46..
    The ref pulled part diagrams when I got my S54 swap through California's BAR process. You definitely need OEM headers.

Once you're done with the inspection, then go for fun parts. I have SSV1s and an airbox waiting to be installed....

I read that you can use S50B32 exhaust on an S54, but I was just reading a thread where a guy tried that and the flanges didn't line up. Something about the Euro sec1 flanges aren't coplanar while the S54 flanges are.

My current setup is US headers -> bimmerworld Y pipe -> 3" AA Race exhaust with resonator, and it's actually really nice. Didn't lose torque nearly as badly as I thought I would, sounds nice, doesn't drone, but probably am missing out on flow. The ref doesn't care as long as you have OEM catted headers, anything past that was open. I can't speak to regular smog inspection on my car, but a buddy just got his CSL/cams/euro cats through just fine.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Its the entire section 2 section from the e46 m3. Remeber the e46 m3 muffler is like a massive rectangle that takes up the space of where the spare tire would be(another reason the e46 m3 sucks no spare tire section). You can use any e36 m3 muffler, but have to cut the pipes going into the muffler(leaving about 2-3 inches of pipe to weld onto the section 2).
    Yea, I'm just trying to get an idea of where your section 2 and muffler were merged together. Sounds like you are saying it was around where I labeled B below, but it looks like something may have been modified at A. I'm just trying to plan as well as I can before cutting up my catback and section 2.

My Cars
    1995 318ti Clubsport
    I had to inform the Ref about BMW engines NOT actually being as described in the engine family.

I also had to pull teeth with the Ref about laws!= guidlines

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    The ref pulled part diagrams when I got my S54 swap through California's BAR process. You definitely need OEM headers.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I'm selling the S54 CAN interface boards now - http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...proper-CEL-A-C

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Just got my exhaust back on today, was a huge pain. I spent less time dropping the transmission and doing a clutch/flywheel than I did on the exhaust.

The E46 section 2 ends nowhere near the E36 muffler. It ended up a lot of cutting/welding/grinding/hammering and it finally fits well. Doing an exhaust with a car on jackstands and TIG tacking with your knee on the pedal is rough. Most if the section 2 pipes are "D" shaped instead of round, takes a lot of time to merge things together.

FYI - the E36 M3 catback tubing is not double walled (as some have stated) and is the same size as the section 2, it just necks down where it connects to the mid section.

I'll post pictures soon, haven't even gone for a drive yet.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 04-01-2016 at 01:00 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Just got my exhaust back on today, was a huge pain. I spent less time dropping the transmission and doing a clutch/flywheel than I did on the exhaust.

The E46 section 2 ends nowhere near the E36 muffler. It ended up a lot of cutting/welding/grinding/hammering and it finally fits well. Doing an exhaust with a car on jackstands and TIG tacking with your knee on the pedal is rough. Most if the section 2 pipes are "D" shaped instead of round, takes a lot of time to merge things together.

FYI - the E36 M3 catback tubing is not double walled (as some have stated) and is the same size as the section 2, it just necks down where it connects to the mid section.

I'll post pictures soon, haven't even gone for a drive yet.
    That's a bit disheartening to hear, as that's my plan for a milder exhaust! Please post pictures when you can, especially of the mounting and fitment modification areas.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan Estoril
    Just got my exhaust back on today, was a huge pain. I spent less time dropping the transmission and doing a clutch/flywheel than I did on the exhaust. The E46 section 2 ends nowhere near the E36 muffler. It ended up a lot of cutting/welding/grinding/hammering and it finally fits well. Doing an exhaust with a car on jackstands and TIG tacking with your knee on the pedal is rough. Most if the section 2 pipes are "D" shaped instead of round, takes a lot of time to merge things together. FYI - the E36 M3 catback tubing is not double walled (as some have stated) and is the same size as the section 2, it just necks down where it connects to the mid section. I'll post pictures soon, haven't even gone for a drive yet.
    Oh man...just saw this thread...I'm not on bfc much anymore but feel free to pm me if you run into any issues. Finished this swap about a year ago. It's worth all the trials and errors but I do have some easy solutions for what you're talking about in regards to the exhaust.
    Last edited by gotboost79; 04-04-2016 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by gotboost79 View Post
    Oh man...just saw this thread...I'm not on bfc much anymore but feel free to pm me if you run into any issues. Finished this swap about a year ago. It's worth all the trials and errors but I do have some easy solutions for what you're talking about in regards to the exhaust.
    Why not just post your solutions up here? This tread (and Bimmerman535i's thread) has already been a huge help to those of us that are in the process of or thinking about starting this swap.
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    I will second that.

-Nick

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    hey whats the specs on that radiator hose adapter that you have the switch plugged into? i need to find one
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    hey whats the specs on that radiator hose adapter that you have the switch plugged into? i need to find one
    It was the "UPGR8 Silver 34MM Water Temperature Sensor Adapter" available on amazon/ebay. I had to drill & tap it, will look up the thread size/pitch in a bit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast