Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: S54 swap, 98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

S54 swap, 98 M3 sedan

My S54 swap has been done for a while now so I figured I'd document it. Started with this:

98 M3 sedan, ~106k miles. I had already done quite a bit of maintenance and upgrades:

-cooling system overhaul w/z3m S54 radiator
    -replaced every front & rear suspension bushing/ball joint, subframe mounts, reinforced swaybar tabs, x-brace, SSI underpanel
    -rebuilt E46 ZHP rack
    -Eibach springs & sways, Konis, camber plates
    -braided brake lines, rebuilt & repainted calipers, brass guide bushings
    -BBS RS-GT wheels
    -some lighting stuff, including HID projector retrofit with drilled inner lenses

Engine bay currently looks like this. I still need to tidy a bit of wiring:

History

S52 & 5spd was sold to someone that wanted it in his 2002ti. Engine bay was throughly cleaned:

I bought a ~86k mile S54 & 6spd from a 2003 M3 and did the following:

-clean everything, repaint block
    -rod bearings (OEM)
    -tack oil pump nut
    -CPV o-ring
    -VANOS removed (should have rebuilt, will do it later), exhaust hub inspected, cam sprocket bolts replaced
    -valves adjusted
    -lots of gaskets/seals/o-rings/bolts replaced

Engine & trans were installed with the usual stuff and a few other things:

-front subframe reinforcements welded in
    -S52 mounts (had a fabricate airbox support, could have used z3m S4 left mount instead)
    -E36 M3 power steering pump
    -E46 M3 fuel pump, FPR
    -E46 expansion tank & SAP pump mounted in place of E36 washer tank
    -E36 M3 euro SMG washer tank (mounted behind bumper cover)
    -E36 M3 euro radiator cover
    -E36 M3 euro 6spd transmission crossmember
    -M3 auto driveshaft
    -E46 shift carrier & selector rod were both cut shorter & welded. Could have used M3 evo parts instead.

Electrical was DIY:

-S54 & gutted M52 harness were combined for a factory look
    -new wires for CAN, drive-by-wire, brake/clutch switches, cruise, sport button, etc. were run through empty positions on the X69 connector and into the cabin
    -custom CAN interface board makes A/C & check engine light work properly. I'll be selling these soon.
    -DME flashing was DIY as well. Zero codes, runs & drives like it should, will eventually pass CA smog. I'll flash MSS54 customized to your swap for $100.

ABS:
    -stock E36 M3 ABS/ASC. Removing the E36 ASC throttle body causes no issues other than ASC light. Removing E36 ASC actuator causes ABS light and (presumably) no ABS. You can wire a 5W 100 ohm resistor in its place and keep ABS working.
    -I'll likely install E46 MK60 ABS/DSC at some point

Emissions:
    -stock SAP pump, cats, purge valve, carbon canister & DMTL temporarily mounted in trunk.

Cooling:
    -z3m S54 radiator (already had it)
    -z3m S54 oil cooler & lines
    -SPAL puller fan with custom mount, is controller via CAN interface board, on/off temp can be programmed
    -E46 PWM fan controller used with stock E36 aux fan
    -S54 temp sender from head replaced with S52 sender (wired so stock cluster temp gauge works)
    -S54 temp sender from head installed in lower radiator hose via re-drilled & tapped eBay adapter. Wired to MSS54 rad temp input, works with PWM fan controller

A/C:

-S54 compressor (has benefit of variable-displacement)
    -custom lines via welding & crimping
    -E46 A/C pressure sensor works with custom CAN interface board

Intake:
    -z3m S54, hoping it is considered legit for passing CA smog

Exhaust:
    -stock headers
    -stock E46 M3 section 1 with custom merge to 3" vibrant resonator then merged back to dual & bolted to stock E36 M3 catback. Zero rasp, but it hangs a bit low and this was my first stainless TIG exhaust project. Will soon be replaced by E46 M3 section 1 (with AR20 resonator added) & 2, possibly stock E36 M3 muffler.

Interior:
    -E46 throttle pedal mount modified to fit E36 floor bracket.
    -E36 3-spoke steering wheel, re-wrapped, MFL buttons wired to MSS54 cruise input. Cruise should be working but I'm still tracking down an issue.
    -E36 clutch & brake switches wired to MSS54, required some circuitry for logic inversion, could be the source of my cruise control issue
    -sport mode button - todo
    -6spd ZHP knob

I cut the plastic bottom from the throttle pedal mount and replaced it with some steel bits. The round pegs fit into the factor mount. The top is bolted to the factory threaded insert. I happened to end up with an extra oil cooler hose bolt that worked well there (p/n 17227833189).

After a bit of hassle and a few smog ref appointments the swap is now CA legal:
    Last edited by gpeterson; 03-21-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Well, that's an impressive amount of work, but all rather clinical. How do you like it?! Worth it?
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Cut out the fluff and gets right to the point. gorgeous! I hope you rebuild the vanos tabs soon. They seem to give on 35k cars and still hold on 80k cars, no guarantees.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    awesome. i have always wanted an s54 e30 or e36. not to mention a clean alpine to drop it in.
    1998 M3/4/5
    1988 325is *Sold*

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    I love cars like this, unsuspecting and good looking! How's it feel as opposed to your previous setup? Any more mods planned?
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    Well, that's an impressive amount of work, but all rather clinical. How do you like it?! Worth it?
    Has been great, but I haven't gone past ~6k RPM per BMWs 1200mi rod bearing break in procedure. I've got about 600mi on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dnoble37 View Post
    awesome. i have always wanted an s54 e30 or e36. not to mention a clean alpine to drop it in.
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    I love cars like this, unsuspecting and good looking! How's it feel as opposed to your previous setup? Any more mods planned?
    Feels great compared to my slightly modded S52. I'm going to re-do the exhaust soon, may do euro headers and cats in section 1. I'm planning on a 3.38 or 3.46 diff as well.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When I changed the rod bearings in my 08M3, I did not observe any break in period other than to drive gently for a day to make sure I put the car back together correctly.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Car looks great. I'm especially impressed with the fact that this swap has the potential to be emissions compliant.

Would you be willing to post up some of the wiring specifics? I can see a few papers on the table in the picture you posted that appear to have some related information.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    When I changed the rod bearings in my 08M3, I did not observe any break in period other than to drive gently for a day to make sure I put the car back together correctly.
    I'd agree that I'm being over-cautious but have invested a lot of time info this and don't want to have issues with this motor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    Car looks great. I'm especially impressed with the fact that this swap has the potential to be emissions compliant.

Would you be willing to post up some of the wiring specifics? I can see a few papers on the table in the picture you posted that appear to have some related information.
    Sure - I'm selling swap flashes and the CAN interface but plan on fully documenting and sharing everything else.

I used http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...t-E36-Swap-FAQ as the basis but changed a few things. I didn't omit so many connections (brake/clutch switches, DMTL, aux fan) and I re-used my E36 fuel pump relay instead of running EKP. I'll be adding more detail as I think of things.

Is there anything specific you are looking for now? Feel free to PM me.

My Cars
    98 M3 S54 coupe
    Very nice man. I'll post a thread with my swap once it gets closer to completion. Are you running the stock diff still? How are the rpm's on highway with the 6spd?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    I actually just bought an e46 m3 parts car and gonna attempt this project. This thread is well appreciated.

My Cars
    German ones
    Car looks great Garry!
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
    Very nice man. I'll post a thread with my swap once it gets closer to completion. Are you running the stock diff still? How are the rpm's on highway with the 6spd?
    Stock diff, highway RPMs just fine, will be putting in a 3.38 or 3.46 at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MPWRCPE View Post
    Car looks great Garry!
    Thanks! I just updated the first post with details of the throttle pedal mount.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Thanks! I just updated the first post with details of the throttle pedal mount.
    I'll give this a whirl, much easier than cutting and re-welding the existing floor bracket.
    Dave

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I'll give this a whirl, much easier than cutting and re-welding the existing floor bracket.
    Yea, I didn't feel like pulling up carpet and welding on the car.

The bracket I built was pretty quick and crude - anyone have interest in me building a handful of nice ones and selling them? Would $30 be worth it to anyone?

My Cars
    German ones
    Yea, I didn't feel like pulling up carpet and welding on the car.

The bracket I built was pretty quick and crude - anyone have interest in me building a handful of nice ones and selling them? Would $30 be worth it to anyone?
    Actually yes I would be interested at $30. Any idea how long it would take? I have so much left to do any help is appreciated!
    Dave

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Actually yes I would be interested at $30. Any idea how long it would take? I have so much left to do any help is appreciated!
    Maybe end of next week? If I do it I'll build jigs and make it a repeatable process.

My Cars
    German ones
    Maybe end of next week? If I do it I'll build jigs and make it a repeatable process.
    Sounds good Garry count me in.
    Dave

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Clean/Proper
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    98 M3 S54 coupe
    You can count me in for the pedal bracket too

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Sounds good Garry count me in.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
    You can count me in for the pedal bracket too
    Great, I'll get started next week.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Very well done! The break in mileage was a real test of self control, but it ends soon enough.

I really like what you did with the PWM fan input, does that rely on the temp sensor in the lower hose being there? I didn't install one, and my Spal fan is using a temp sender welded into the radiator to kick on/off.

The Z3M airbox/boot didn't raise the ref's eye at all, you'll be fine. Are you taking it in as a Z3M or M3? I'm not sure it matters beyond what the DME VIN is coded to spit back at them.

Are you using the 3 pole or 2 pole clutch switch? Are you using the Z3 cruise control interfa<script id="gpt-impl-0.7140705370823186" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_81.js"></script>ce? It takes the 5 pole E36 switch and turns it into the 3 pin power, ground, and MFL input to the DME. I needed to wire in all of the brake light, brake light test, and 3 pole clutch switches to get cruise to function.

AC is the next one on my list. I am thinking the Z3M cluster should take care of the input signal, but since the weather's been so mild I haven't missed it.

Can you take some pictures of your exhaust? I'm kicking around some ideas for stuff to attach to the E46 section 1 and am curious what you did.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 03-10-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    F30 '14 328i Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post

agreed
    and thanks for the pictures, descriptions, etc.
    Looking good!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I really like what you did with the PWM fan input, does that rely on the temp sensor in the lower hose being there?
    Yes. It really does work well. My spal puller would cycle on & off when it has hot outside and I was stopped in traffic. The PWM aux fan turns at a very low speed once the motor hits operating temp and speeds up if need be. I haven't done much driving in hot weather but I bet it will do the job quietly and my spal will rarely kick on.

- - - Updated - - -

The Z3M airbox/boot didn't raise the ref's eye at all, you'll be fine. Are you taking it in as a Z3M or M3? I'm not sure it matters beyond what the DME VIN is coded to spit back at them.
    I planned on taking it in as a 2003 M3.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using the 3 pole or 2 pole clutch switch? Are you using the Z3 cruise control interfa<script id="gpt-impl-0.7140705370823186" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_81.js"></script>ce? It takes the 5 pole E36 switch and turns it into the 3 pin power, ground, and MFL input to the DME. I needed to wire in all of the brake light, brake light test, and 3 pole clutch switches to get cruise to function.
    My car already had 2 clutch switches - one that detects when the pedal is down all the way, runs to EWS. The other is a 2 pin (if I remember correctly) and detects when the pedal is barely pressed. I have it wired to the DME.

I had already retrofitted my car with a 3-spoke steering wheel and MFL buttons, so they are wired straight to the DME.

- - - Updated - - -

AC is the next one on my list. I am thinking the Z3M cluster should take care of the input signal, but since the weather's been so mild I haven't missed it.
    Yes, it will. Let me know if you run into issues there. I have a 2001 Z3 non-M cluster on my desk and used it to verify some things when I built the CAN interface board.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you take some pictures of your exhaust? I'm kicking around some ideas for stuff to attach to the E46 section 1 and am curious what you did.
    No, it is too crappy and I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Everyone says merging to single doesn't work well at all.

I'll be re-doing it soon with another section 1 & 2 that I have. I already added a 2nd resonator to the section 1 to cut rasp:

I'll be cutting the mount from section 2 and creating a new mount that uses the stock E36 hangers. I'm a bit undecided on muffler but may try to mate the section 2 with the stock E36 muffler. I'll post pictures when it is done.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Yes. It really does work well. My spal puller would cycle on & off when it has hot outside and I was stopped in traffic. The PWM aux fan turns at a very low speed once the motor hits operating temp and speeds up if need be. I haven't done much driving in hot weather but I bet it will do the job quietly and my spal will rarely kick on.
    I'll have to try this, great idea.

My car already had 2 clutch switches - one that detects when the pedal is down all the way, runs to EWS. The other is a 2 pin (if I remember correctly) and detects when the pedal is barely pressed. I have it wired to the DME.

I had already retrofitted my car with a 3-spoke steering wheel and MFL buttons, so they are wired straight to the DME.
    Ok. I had the same, with the E36 2-pin clutch switch. I kept getting errors for the switch after wiring it in, as it didn't like the output from the simple switch. I swapped it with a 3 pin switch (power, DME, ground), and cruise works flawlessly and there aren't any errors.

For the brake/test switches, I didn't need to do any logic for them, just wired them up. I believe I followed Z3M wiring and it worked, the key is to have them send opposite signals to the DME. I assume you have INPA to check signal input states? That should be all you need.

No, it is too crappy and I wouldn't recommend doing what I did. Everyone says merging to single doesn't work well at all.

I'll be re-doing it soon with another section 1 & 2 that I have. I already added a 2nd resonator to the section 1 to cut rasp:

I'll be cutting the mount from section 2 and creating a new mount that uses the stock E36 hangers. I'm a bit undecided on muffler but may try to mate the section 2 with the stock E36 muffler. I'll post pictures when it is done.
    It's more the location of the merge, but I'm also unconvinced a single is the way to go (and I have a header-back 3"). I have a stock section 1 and section 2 that I'm hacking together with a stock E36 muffler for a laguna-compliant exhaust. My ultimate plan is dual 2.5s but that's a ways off.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast