Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: 1.9 z3 with 2.8 fenders need correct wheel/tire size to fill rear fenders

My Cars
    1997 z3 1.9 black

1.9 z3 with 2.8 fenders need correct wheel/tire size to fill rear fenders

Hi everybody. I have been lurking thru you forums ever since I bought my first bmw a few months ago. It is a black 1.9 97 z3 5-speed that had been totalled in a multiple rollover. I could have bought a garage model but really wasn't even looking for a bmw, just a fixerupper run around town small car. I already have three Chrysler awd T&C vans and have been driving minivans for the past fifteen years. I decided to keep an eye out for a early 70s Capri 1 or an Opel Kadette fastback to drop in larger motors but keep stock in appearance. I had seven Capris and tree Opels in the mid seventies. Could not find any worthwhile but did find this z3 on CL for $800 just a couple of roads away from me. I took a looksy and the poor thing had damage to every body panel, hood, trunk, bumper covers, convertible top and top frame, front bumper pushed sideways hence breaking one side of frame at bumper shock whilst the other(driver) side simply bent inward from sway mount forward. Also the seats, passenger door, ac and other switches, and one control arm had been sold. The lady driver had lost it on a turn in the rain and slid into the grass and ended upside down in a shallow ditch. She injured two vertebra but is fine now. Realizing it had potential but was in need of 20-40 hours labor plus parts I offered $500 and she took it. For unknown reasons(I did not ask) the title was clean. Not sure why.... I patiently searched CL for black parts and found them with hood, trunklid, style 42 wheels with three good tires, seats, black doors, all four fenders in black, black like new top with frame, headlights, taillights, rollbars, and some small parts for less than a $1200. Only new part is a Chinese front bumper cover for $200 off ebay. Also I got a rear bumper cover from local pick a part for $50 and painted it. I still haven't replaced windshield as I had to use a bottle jack to push center of windshield frame back up an inch and a half so I've been driving so as to let windshield frame settle. I have a price of $180 to have windshield replaced. I can add photos later of my rebuild but for now I have it on the road. Since it is a 1.9 with the slightly narrower rear and I have added 2.8 rear fenders and rockers, I also am wondering what offset would work best. I have a huge 3" gap tween tire and fender lip. My tires are 245/50/16s. I thought about spacers but would need more than I'd feel safe using. Also I wouldn't mind running 18s on back. I well know you guys have dealt with most every problem whether tire or mechanical and have faith you could steer me in the right direction. When I bought the z3 I did not care that it is just a four cylinder as my vans are large sixes and plenty fast for what I need. On a different note, I did add the largest K&N diesel air filter and shortened the rubber hose to carb but kept both sensors. I also replaced the exhaust from behind catalytic converter with a much larger and slightly louder better flowing one I built. I will admit I am impressed with the difference in power provided I hit the right rpm range. Thank you in advance for any input. I do feel good about saving this one from the grave. It does not bother me that it is not the M or the M Coupe tho I will keep an eye out for one of those in need of rehabbing.... I enjoy it for what it is. A simple and fun basic runaround.
    Last edited by michaelsurfs; 03-06-2016 at 09:34 PM.