Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collecting Bits for the 327cs project

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Geez, this thread got right off the BF list already! Well I've pulled the Dodge 440 V8 out and refocused on getting the shop cleared out for the M20B27 rebuild done! Got all the parts and hope I didn't lose any on the way to the assembly table. This may have been discussed on previous threads but I've found that a 12 ounce beer bottle fits the crank diameter within about 3mm or so.... coincidence? I think NOT!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I still drive daily with no commute...
    The Hazard is All, Praise the Hazard!

My Cars
    '79 320/6

If you are going to do a BMW project, the logical thing to do is build a new shop...

Okay Legion members!!
    As is traditional with most of us, I've decided to include my garage/shop rebuild along with the project. How can anyone do this work without the proper facilities??? I've demoed my old garage addition and opted to pull permits for the new garage bay AND hidden workshop in the back! Here are some pics of the process. Excavation equipment is being delivered tomorrow am. There will be a new 12' bay in front next to the garage and a 24' x 32' workshop out back.
    IMG_0190.jpg

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifebmw View Post
    If you are going to do a BMW project, the logical thing to do is build a new shop...
    Seems reasonable to me, I'll let the wife know!

My Cars
    '79 320/6

Shop Build Update!

It was so humid today you sweat just standing around! Time to build forms for the first bay next to the garage in the space where the old sun porch was. Got piers dug out and forms and re-bar placed. Next step is stone delivery for the base and then concrete. Should be done before the end of the week. Gotta keep moving to be able to cover that 6' x20' hole in my garage.
    IMG_0221.jpgIMG_0212.jpg
    That skidsteer worked great and you know the old saying, "If they don't make a power tool for it, then I don't do it."

Rear workshop is still a bit in flux. Got a 28' x 21' 6" footprint for now. Debating going with a thicker slab for the potential of finding a lift to install.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WantingAfunE21 View Post
    Seems reasonable to me, I'll let the wife know!
    It is when you've had 9 E21's and counting. At this point she's of the opinion if she can't see it then it doesn't exist so if I have a shop that allows me to keep my projects off the driveway than so much the better. She's great but she does have "hillbilly" threshold.

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Scored a good Solex 4 BBL carb thanks to Dups! The setting up of the foundation is taking a lot longer. Too many client projects to focus on right now and so the shop gets being put off. Don't really want to frame this up in the winter! The days have been averaging 90 F so work gets a bit slow. Just about ready for concrete next week....IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0250.jpg

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    Well it's been about a year since my last posts but the one bay is up and shelled in. The rear workshop is going through some growth pains (namely my wife saw it and flipped out on the size, had to shrink it but after looking at it I'm fighting to get that 8' back on the end....) This shot is inside the new 12' wide bay of the 2.7 parts ready to go to the machine shop to get cleaned up and prepped for the assembly. The work on the shop was really delayed and because the roof was open for about 8 months a lot of parts and other things took a hit.

The original 2.7 engine had a totally toasted crank that went to the scrap bin but this one looks good to go. Just need Grammar-Gates to clean them up and check to make sure nothing is warped or out of spec before I start with the Moly Lube and put her together.

2point7bits.jpgworkshop2017A.jpg

My Cars
    '79 320/6
    The machine shop has got the parts to clean up. Realized that my suspicion that the old flat top pistons just won't work for the 885 head. Have to source some 325i pistons that fit the 2.7 litre bore. I believe they are 85mm?? Will have to delve back into my manuals and pull up that info. Betting a new set is going to set me back a bit.

Yeesh. But the Frankenstein's monster will benefit from them.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    bump(er)?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    The machine shop has got the parts to clean up. Realized that my suspicion that the old flat top pistons just won't work for the 885 head. Have to source some 325i pistons that fit the 2.7 litre bore. I believe they are 85mm?? Will have to delve back into my manuals and pull up that info. Betting a new set is going to set me back a bit.

Yeesh. But the Frankenstein's monster will benefit from them.
    The very late 325e "super eta" 2.7 came with the 885 head and domed pistons stock

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdish View Post
    The very late 325e "super eta" 2.7 came with the 885 head and domed pistons stock
    midlife you can also just sell the farm and get some CP racing pistons. - but then the rings will cost you your leg.

I got lucky and found a set of good used CP pistons but had to pay for the new rings full cost.

piston top.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Scored a good Solex 4 BBL carb thanks to Dups! The setting up of the foundation is taking a lot longer. Too many client projects to focus on right now and so the shop gets being put off. Don't really want to frame this up in the winter! The days have been averaging 90 F so work gets a bit slow. Just about ready for concrete next week....

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0250.jpg
    midlife when your done at home I need a footing and floor poured for my dream shop? Just thinking out load...

Looking good - don't let the heat stop you - go out early and stay out of the cool inside of the house - it helps me get things done. We have been in the high 80s to low 100s now for a few weeks out here.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1977 320i
    rebuild kits on sale now!
    https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/repa...-13-01-04.html

- - - Updated - - -

13111268572.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123