Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That one 95 M3 HPDE build

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    I’ve been busy with the car all November, here is a quick and simple update after this long weekend!

Drivers door has been fully gutted, will be using nylon coated wire rope for an interior door handle

TCK DA coilovers have been installed

Valve train was removed, soaked in Berrymans and reinstalled with fresh Erling valve seals and a quick lap job.

Block has been painted, honed, and deck cleaned up.

I’ve acquired a longacre rear view, full VAC seat mount setup, OMP weld on quick release, pair of Sabelt 6pt harnesses, renown 130r motorsport stitched suede wheel, joes racing window net mounting kit sparco suede gloves, a whole bunch of OE parts from thebmwpartsstore, and 17x9 et42 apex arc 8s.

I also installed the S2R carbon sunroof plug, just a quick/dry install right now. I’ve got to drill out some of the holes that don’t line up perfectly and bring some silicone over to the shop to seal it up.

Mounted the Recaro profi spg with a driver’s side VAC kit that I had lying around from my E46M. Installed the dash and crappy OE wheel to get it mobile. Just a couple more things and it’s off to my buddies fab shop in early December.

I finally got the chassis on the ground on black Friday. Much more fun than shopping.
    I used my old gold RC090s on 235/40 federals, they’re actually 243mm width, so they don’t fit too well but good enough to go get a cage. I really like the look of them on the car and might to make them work for street wheels and get something more aggressive than RS3s for the apex.

Like I’ve said, cage fab to happen early December and then the car will come back to my shop for paint prep while I simultaneously start to get the S50 long block back together. I’m hoping that 2017 is all reassembly! Plan is to be running by end of May at the latest.

next;
    final details before fab work [misc hardware, templates for Al block off panels, and one more xylene cleaning]
    get car to rebellion forge for fab
    rebuilding s50
    trans seals/detents/cleaning
    Last edited by unloadedak; 11-27-2016 at 10:43 PM.

check out my eBay store
    E30 - E36 - E39 - E46 - E60 - E92

My Cars
    Various junk
    Glad to have found this build thread!

Subscribed.

My Cars
    E60 550i 6MT
    Hey, our interiors are looking similar. You didn't have as much fun as I did though with the grinder and air nibbler when you were cutting the door panels, hah. Rear end looks great too. Subscribed

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    Dibbs on the rear roundel :\ (subscribed)

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    thanks guys!

…3 months later…long time no posts, not much has happened with the car besides little things and slight changes of plans. Cage hasn’t been fabbed yet, with the change of plans happening I told my buddy to keep on working on customer work before we get going on my car. I’ll put up some pics I’ve taken since I last posted.

I’ve got the majority of the S50 block assembled. Using the S54 oil system on it for some peace of mind. I’m sending another batch of hardware to zinc plating and once I get that back I will be able to install the timing cover and get the head on the block/button up the engine.

Installed my old Recaro Profi-SPGs for cage fab. I grabbed a full VAC mounting kit for driver and passenger side as well.

Mostly installed the carbon sunroof plug. Still need to put nutserts in the rear.

Had the chromo flywheel and grip force pressure plate balanced locally.

Started messing around with poly windows. This turned out to be a huge hassle to try and get done cleanly and efficiently. I will be using the small chassis tabs and M5 rivnuts & counter sunk allens for mounting the quarter windows flush with the exterior molding. These should be one of the first things fabbed when we get going on it. I'll be so relieved when they're mounted and look clean.

I then got it ready to take over to buddies shop and dropped it off there about 2 weeks ago. I’ve mostly been grinding things and just cleaning it up/breaking things and making the build much more serious and fuhraze.

So I’ve changed the plan quite a bit since my plan from November. Just a couple bullet points, more detail when these things start to actually happen.

• Totally redesigned cage; no longer doing it like the red one linked to previously
    • Cage will be connected to front shock towers and will be building my own body harness; due to cage in oe fuse area
    • Custom harness means no stock cluster, will be getting racepak iq3 data logger
    • Factory column will be replaced with a race column; woodward, sweet mfg, or a one off setup- not sure yet
    • Factory pedals/booster will be replaced by tilton 800 series overhung brake/clutch and 600 series throttle
    • Removing ABS. If I don't like it I will implement MK60 from a wrecked E46 that I buy for its S54
    • Brake system will be plumbed with stainless hard lines, will be running it as a "4 channel" system

It’s a bit more than I originally planned but it will be worth the extra season off, I hope. All of these additional upgrades are being done to clean up and simplify things while improving the car at the same time. It all started when I tried to remove the ignition housing from the column and ended up ruining the column.. I've always wanted to build a chassis harness from scratch, tune a car with dual masters, drive with a truly solid steering setup, and a data logger to nerd out about; so why not now?

next;
    cage/pedals/steering fab
    get drivetrain hardware to plating
    assemble s50
    trans seals/detents/cleaning-still...

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    e36 323i coupé
    Super clean! Lots of respect for the work u've done so far.
    Can you tell me whats the difference between the steering rack of the z3 compared to 3-series?
    Also im interested on how you liked the vac seat mounts - do they allow sitting low and centered?

greetings from Germany

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by 10! View Post
    Super clean! Lots of respect for the work u've done so far.
    Can you tell me whats the difference between the steering rack of the z3 compared to 3-series?
    Also im interested on how you liked the vac seat mounts - do they allow sitting low and centered?

greetings from Germany

thanks man! the z3 rack has a quicker, linear ratio compared to the progressive 95M rack. it gives you faster steering and more direct input/output as it is linear. i love the vac mounts, i've ran them in all of my cars and they are the best ones on the market hands down. check out my latest update below on my new seating location. cheers

Another post and another change for this project… it just keeps getting deeper and deeper into a serious build. I knew I couldn’t keep lying to myself about building a simple car.

so it’s getting an LS

Ideally I’ll find a wrecked 2004 GTO and pull the LS1(6) and T56 out. Then do some LS6 parts, an ASA cam, and a good wet oil setup/accusump. Simple and reliable 400rwhp.

Yes, it will no longer be a GTS car, it’s now going to be an ST/TT build. I’d love an S54 but I just can’t justify the cost v. benefits. The S50, ZF, 3.38 LSD are pending sale locally once they are all rebuilt.

Moving on... couple simple chassis updates. Not much work done on it since the last time I've posted.

Since I will be installing a custom column and tilton pedal box, I decided to move the drivers seat back as far as possible on the VAC mounts and see where it put me. I was planning to cut up the floor and make custom mounts but the VACs allow the seat to go way further back than I had imagined. I will be leaving the seat in that position and build the pedals and column to work with it. I will also need a lay back shift lever on the T56 as my arms are not long enough to reach the factory hole in the tunnel.

I’ve decided to ditch the poly quarter windows that I’ve already got. They’re meant to look OEM and well, I’d rather just make them as flush with the body as possible. So I’ve removed the drip rail trim and I’ve began to make a template to start messing around with. I also grabbed two sheets of 1/8 Makrolon locally. I’m thinking of getting a sheet of abrasion resistant stuff to make a windshield if these side windows go smooth.

Got an E46 M3 ABS Pump/Computer. I’ll slowly start finding parts for this swap. I’ll be building my own harness rather than paying an ungodly markup on the pieces with pigtails attached. It’s absurd what they charge for a kit.

Took a few random shots while it was on the lift. While I was trying to get a game plan together for cleaning up the floor pan section I had a thought of getting rid of all the undercoat and seam sealer (I’d assume 20-30#) and stitching the chassis up while it’s easily done. I think I will be going down that path during cage fabrication as well. It will then be coated underneath with the same varnish that I’ve coated all of the suspension parts with, Dolph’s EB-41.

Cage fab has been on hold until I can get pedals and steering parts in. Hoping to get rocking on it in the next 2-3 weeks. We will see how it goes, buddy has been busy with other projects and I’m in no rush anymore as the 2017 season is a bust.

I’m also planning on putting the serious parts purchases on hold once the car is done with chassis work. I need to get some maintenance done on my E46M street car since weather is getting beautiful and I’ve put under 100 miles on it in the last 11 months. That car will be getting some attention and it’s loan paid off before I throw $20k into this E36… Trying to be responsible here lol

next;
    strip undercoating off
    get drivetrain hardware to plating
    cage/pedals/steering fab
    assemble s50 & zf to sell

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Any updates on this thing?

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    Any updates on this thing?
    yes! i've been slacking. here it is

I haven’t done too much to this over the last 9 months. It’s been at my buddies shop but it’s been somewhat set aside during this time. He’s been busy with customer work, I changed careers, been house hunting, and bought an X5 so my time has been allocated everywhere else but this E36 for the most part. I’ll run through some updates that I have photos of, since everybody likes pics and doesn’t even read this stuff if it’s longer than a sentence.

March

Back onto the lift to remove rear bumper and side skirts

I repinned a 330ci abs pigtail to work with the MK60

Grabbed a Monti MBX to help strip out the seams when stitch welding

April

Test fit buddies 18x10 et25 - 285/30s

Camber plate was on crooked, doh

Started to strip wheel well, trying out the MBX

Scored a deal on three 77 series tilton master cylinders

August

Picked up two E32 3.15 210mm LSDs. One of them here to show the size comparison to a 3.38 188mm LSD.

Bought a 4.8is that has consumed all of my free time and money ever since 8/19…

October

Finally back at it. Spare tub cut out.

Most of the undercoating removed.

Partial stitch welding completed.

As of today, the car is at another friends shop for temporary storage until around the new year. More of it has been stitch welded and the RTAB plates are welded, just don’t have photos. Over the last couple months this project has had somewhat of a reality check you could say. House hunting is going terrible and the more I keep looking, the more I want to spend more on a home than going full-on LS, dry sump, 4 speed dogbox, loud noises badass race car with this thing.

I feel like it will eventually get there but I think this phase will be somewhat toned down with an S54/ZF320 swap. S54 will require much less fabrication work and essentially bolt right in. Hopefully shave at least a year off the time required for this swap, probably even more. If it were to built with an LS like I picture it, we would be around 5y from completion… If I go with an S54 I’m going to estimate 3y until completion, depending what happens career/home wise. Even less time if I utilize the factory harness/gauges and braking system but wiring and plumbing this car actually excites me…..

There are a couple unknowns on the project right now and I will need to get them figured out to proceed ahead with the next steps.

Painting of the underside/engine bay

• simply coat it with the satin black aerosol varnish that I’ve got the on the suspension components? ~$100, extremely chemical resistant, easy to touch up, but looks somewhat ‘cheap’ being all black IMO
    • get some single stage imola red paint and spray it with a paint gun? ~$600, almost as chemical resistant, harder to touch up, will look phenomenal with refreshed suspension components and gold hardware

Gearing; the 3.15 will kill the feel of an S54

• find a 210mm 3.91 or 4.10 R&P for 210mm, $$$, bulletproof, heavier
    • go back to 188mm and find 3.91 LSD, cheaper and less weight but more prone to failure with Rcomps

Flares/Tires; plan for wheels will be something 18x10 et25, either arc8 or nt03

• Mashaw PTG with atleast 275/30-18; $$$, lots of work, badass, room to grow if it gets more power
    • Hard style flares with 275/285 max; hideous but functional by providing room for realistic required tire sizes for the S54. Function>likes

I also want to change it up bushing/suspension wise.

• For sure doing - AKG Al subframe bushings, SPL lower arms, and spherical RTABs
    • Thinking about selling LCA and going with an SLR road course kit - can be done later
    • Also maybe sell the TCKline DAs for something with true rear coilovers, MCS JRZ etc - can be done later

Hopefully get back to it after New Years. I want to finish all the tedious boring chassis work in 2018 and have a mostly painted, fully caged, refreshed suspension/diff, poly window, ready for wiring/plumbing rolling M3. If I get more done, hell yeah.

next;
    get hardware to plating
    assemble s50 & zf
    make some decisions
    finish stitch welding
    cage/pedals/steering fab
    paint underside/engine bay
    prime interior/cage
    change out bushings

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21 320i
    I'm absolutely loving this. Do you know how you are going to do your driver and passenger side windows? I need some inspiration for mine, as mine are kind of janky set up at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12