Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That one 95 M3 HPDE build

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M

That one 95 M3 HPDE build

This is going to be a thread about my 95 M3 track build. An HPDE/fun car.

I’ve been mainly an E30 guy for the last ~10 years. Built several S52 swapped cars, owned a couple iX’s, also daily drove a Mugello 95 M3 for a year (it’s drivetrain ended up in an E30). My current DD is an imola E46 M3. I was planning to get another E46M to gut and make into a dedicated racer after I took my DD on the track a couple times last year.

Well, I started comparing build and consumable costs for E46vE36. I also weighed in the fact that I have very little seat time on a road course and tons of autox experience (Nebraska is awesome). So instead of spending $30-40k on a bad ass E46 M3 track car; I began to search for an E36 M3 chassis to build from.

My search was very easy once I remembered about my buddies 95 that has been sitting in his shop since 2012. It was parked because of a 100% worn clutch disc and loss of compression in cylinder #2. Early 2013 we pulled the motor out of the engine bay and placed it onto a stand, that is all, didn’t pop it open, nothing. He lost interest and I never thought much of it.

Here are some of his pictures from over the years; 2012-2013

Fast forward to now.

I’m wanting an E36 and he has a rust free mint shell just sitting there. We chat and it’s for sale; I say that I’ll buy it once the lost compression issue is found and not in the block.

Last week I went out to his shop and popped the head off. Everything looked awesome until I closely examined the head.

Split right between the intake valves on cyl #2. I just bought meself an E36.

I will begin to strip the interior and get the rear end rebuilt/car rolling for my first steps. He started pulling the trailing arms and sub frame but never finished it. Once the rear end is assembled and interior gutted, I'll tow it to a car wash and power wash it all down. Working on a dirty car drives me nuts.

Overall plan for the car

Drivetrain

• Rebuild S50 - stock for the most part (plan to go S54 eventually)
    • Cooling system - stewart/alum rad/etc
    • ZF320 refresh - detents/seals
    • 3” SS exhaust/headers
    • LTW flywheel/6 puck
    • AKG shifter
    • 3.38 MFactory differential

Susp/Brakes
    • GC/TCK/MCS coils - whatever I can find in the classifieds later in the year
    • Condor Speed Shop full bushing kit
    • AKG camber arms
    • Z3 steering rack
    • GC sway bars
    • Stock rotors/rebuilt calipers w brass guides/PFC08 pads/SS lines - BBK when S54 happens and I’m a better driver
    • Replace all bearings/ball joints/etc
    • ARC8s 17x9
    • 255/40-17 RS3

Body
    • Gutted with 4 or 6pt cage - undecided on that
    • Recaro Profi SPGs
    • Remove HVAC system
    • Simple interior, nothing fancy. Function is the focus here.
    • CF sunroof plug
    • Lexan quarters/rear & Fiberglass hood/trunk - Pesch Motorsports

I’m hoping to get the chassis work done (less cage) and car rolling by September and build the drivetrain over next winter to be running for the 2017 season. I typically end up over building cars and shooting for the moon. With this one it's going to be a simple build to get seat time. I will upgrade the car as I advance as a driver.
    Last edited by unloadedak; 03-04-2016 at 01:20 AM.

check out my eBay store
    E30 - E36 - E39 - E46 - E60 - E92

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    I ended up stripping out the interior today. I sold it to a buddy to put into his 323i. It went pretty smooth and I was extremely happy to see that the floor pans aren’t rusted out and in very good condition, thankful that it’s an AZ car.

I’m hoping to get the sunroof cartridge and rear subframe assembly removed this weekend. I’ll then clean up all the parts/boxes around the car and get a game plan together on what parts to order.

I’m still undecided what bushings to run in the rear; I’ve ran condor speed shop on a couple E30s with success but kind of leaning towards AKG aluminum subframe/diff bushings as I bought AKG 75D stuff for the E46 M3 and the build quality looks amazing.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    More progress over the weekend.

The rear subframe has been removed. I loaded it into the M3 and will be sandblasting, painting, rebuilding it all. I am still debating whether to keep the parking brake or not. I'm debating on dropping the fuel tank down as well. I've got a buddy who has a mobile pressure washing service in the same complex. Hoping to get the M3 outside and sprayed off before all of the rear end goes back into it.

I then tackled the sunroof removal. This was extremely simple compared to my E30.
    I can’t believe how heavy it is too. It will get replaced with a FG or CF plug.

Once I had that stuff stripped off I went around the car cleaning up all of the trash and loose hardware.
    I ended up organizing all of the parts he had acquired for the car as well and stacking it all up in front of the M3. It was a productive Friday.

Next;
    rebuild rear end
    pull fuel tank
    clean underside of car
    remove sound damping
    trim wiring harness
    install rear end
    rebuild front end
    get it rolling
    tear down S50 for rebuild
    focus on drivetrain

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very fancy. I like.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Very fancy. I like.
    e36s are so much more fancy without an interior.. lol thanks man

The E46 rear subframe job is completed so I went back to working on this project.. I’m planning to go full speed ahead on this car now. I want to get it rolling by the end of April if school/graduation/new career doesn’t get in the way lol. Anyways, onto some pictures. Not too much exciting things happening right now but it’ll get better.

Finally removed the all of the trunk trim pieces

I found some rust on the rear trunk seal flange; it could be a whole lot worse haha

Fuel tank has been removed, pretty simple except for the lines on the passenger side that I found out about when the tank was basically on the ground and spilled fuel all over..

I then removed all of the front suspension parts to be refreshed. I was going to wait for this once the rear was done but I figured why not do it all at once..

Then today I started to tackle some wiring cleanup in the rear of the car.. I’m not fully removing anything until the chassis is rolling. One project at a time…
    I’m planning on removing hvac, airbags, radio, ummm…. Basically everything but the cluster, lighting, abs, and windows. I would love to go nuts on the harness and remove windows and aftermarket gauges, etc. But I’m not trying to over build this car right off the bat. Those things can be changed later on.

Finally closed the hood to get a different perspective of it.. Man am I excited to get this car running

main focus: get car rolling

I just ordered:

• Subframe, sway, rtab reinforcements from AKG
    • Front; ball joints, hubs, tie rods
    • Rear; ta ball joints, axle boots
    • Diff seals (waiting to swap diffs with a local buddy who is 5 speed swapping his 98 auto, 3.38 :parrot
    • Caliper rebuild kits and new bleeders
    • ECS rear camber arms (just threw a pair on the E46 and love em)

Ordering this week:

• Condor Speed Shop bushing kit, ss brake lines, and brass caliper bushings
    • Z3 steering rack and find an E34 lower u-joint locally
    • PFC08 and brembo blanks will come later on.. focus is to get it rolling now

Next;
    rebuild front/rear
    clean underside of car
    install front/rear to get chassis rolling
    pull dash; remove damping & hvac box
    trim wiring harness
    prep for cage
    tear down S50 & focus on drivetrain
    Last edited by unloadedak; 04-04-2016 at 03:13 AM.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    skateboard
    Yea that spot is common for rust .
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Yea that spot is common for rust .
    yep it killed my last e36. whole tail panel and drivers quarter panel was rotten and gone.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Lots of progress since my last update. I’m currently waiting on parts to show up and hardware to be plated. Plan is to have it the chassis on the ground during the first week of May.

• I have been messing with refreshing all of the suspension bits.

• Blasting/cleaning up hardware to be zinc plated.

• I found out the front control arms weren’t BMW castings as my Lemforder ball joints did not fit. I ended up ordering some nonM Meyle HD arms from FCPeuro (lifetime warranty on track car ftw).

• Calipers sandblasted, rebuild, painted, Condor Speed Shop brass carrier bushings, and new bleeders.

• Trailing arms received all new ball joints, wheel bearings, and CSS rtabs. Hubs will be getting a zinc plating before install.

• AKG reinforcements installed onto the front and rear subframes.

• Acquired an ETM to make wire harness trimming much easier.

• Car was sketchily placed onto “custom” dollies and after removing everything from the undercarriage and the car was rolled outside to be cleaned off with a hotsy. I will do some fine cleaning with brake clean and scuff pads later in the week.

Anyways. Here are some pictures.

More to come in the next week or two when I've got all my parts. Z3 rack is proving to be the most difficult to source for a good price. I'm hoping to find a deal and keep the budget down.

Next;
    finish refreshing suspension parts
    install & get chassis rolling
    pull dash; remove damping & hvac box
    trim wiring harness & prep for cage
    tear down S50 & focus on drivetrain
    Last edited by unloadedak; 04-20-2016 at 12:03 PM.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Very nice, Progress is looking good
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    More progress this week/weekend. I did a bunch of cleaning prep and ordered a Z3 1.9L steering rack finally.

• Got underneath the car with a scuff pad, degreaser, and brake clean and went crazy on the rear subframe/fuel tank areas and all four wheel wells. Floor pans, spare tire well, and engine bay will come later. Yes. I’m a clean freak.

• I then jumped my schedule and started to remove damping; as I don’t have the hardware back from plating yet I can’t do much as far as rolling and reassembling suspension.

• Meyle HD lcas ready for install.

• Went to hardware store and grabbed some xylene to clean up adhesive. Worked great but the fumes were killer even with a respirator, filters are toast I think. I will finish this job up when I can roll the car outside.

• Tore down the S50 block.

• Used the neighbors hotsy to blast off the S50, ZF, fuel tank, and tunnel heat shield.

It doesn’t seem like much but it was a fairly productive weekend for my entire plans being changed due to lead time at plating shop. I’m shooting for install this following weekend. Fingers crossed.

Next;
    suspension refresh when hardware is plated
    get it rolling
    pull dash; remove remaining damping & hvac box
    trim body harness & prep for cage

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Talked to plating shop today; going to be atleast another two weeks until I get my parts

I've got the subframe and trailing arms [less hubs@plating] ready to install. Condor Speed Shop bushings (this kit), four rear ball joints, *** wheel bearings. I'm still undecided on if I should run an ebrake or not, leaning towards just doing one side as it'll just be for idling in grid and I've only got one set of good hardware..

Z3 steering racks showed up too; I'm using the clean one and a buddy is using the other one.

Small stuff over the next 2 weeks;
    motor disassembly/inspection
    trans seals/cleaning
    assemble front spindles
    reboot/clean axles
    clean up interior/remove tint
    possibly clean up 3.15 LSD

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Not too much to post but I'll do a quick update. Been busy doing non-race car stuff since the last post; graduation and a two week vacation to florida.

Quick update before I get the car on the ground.

I bought a california car cover for the E46 off craigslist for $30; it fits the E36 as well lol

Axles refreshed; new boots and redline CV2. I had to get two large outer clamps from NAPA since the GKN ones didn’t fit.

Hardware finally back from plating; it looks soooo good

90mm bulletnose studs and nuts from motorsport hardware, thanks ryan!

It’s all ready to be installed finally.

Hopefully get it rolling or extremely close to rolling this weekend. More to come.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    1993 325is
    That's so beautiful. I love seeing nice new clean undercarriage bits. And that hardware. Tits!! Where did you send it all? I'm thinking of doing something like that.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    As someone who built his track car incrementally, versus a "tear it apart and rebuild it" method like you are, this makes me all tingly inside, in the best of ways.
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Great work, keep it up!!

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Time for some updates, Adam! And I am now racing you to get my E36 track car done! You have a bit of a head start on me...
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    That's so beautiful. I love seeing nice new clean undercarriage bits. And that hardware. Tits!! Where did you send it all? I'm thinking of doing something like that.
    i had it done by a local company here in Omaha called Industrial Plating

Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    As someone who built his track car incrementally, versus a "tear it apart and rebuild it" method like you are, this makes me all tingly inside, in the best of ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    Great work, keep it up!!
    thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    Time for some updates, Adam! And I am now racing you to get my E36 track car done! You have a bit of a head start on me...
    hahah i was long due for an update, here it is!

i've been super busy with working 70h+ weeks; i would do 30-45 of work every couple nights over the last 3 months and finally got some actual progress!

i started by installing my fresh subframes and whatnot back in late May

i found a replacement head off bimmerforums

i then started to work on the 3.38 rebuild. made a custom tool to hold the pinion in place while torquing to 16inlb preload. new bearings and thayer 3 clutch upgrade. new seals, zinc hardware, red cover

i tried to install the diff last night, no way. so it sat there until this morning when a buddy could come help me. i did manage to get the E34 steering setup installed though, wasn't a total waste of a night.

i've got the susp/brakes almost finished. still need coils, pfc 08 pads, brake lines, misc hardware. then it's finished!

next;
    pull dash; remove remaining damping & hvac box
    trim wiring harness
    interior cage prep
    reflect-a-cool on firewall
    motor disassembly/rebuild
    trans seals/detents/cleaning
    remove tint

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    E36
    love that the e34 steering assembly doesn't have the stupid bushing on the coupler. Attention to detail is awesome.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Dude, it was great to get to see you and your progress on the car this weekend...and I know you did more after I left...so where are the updates????

I know where the Contours from that second pic ended up...
    Last edited by kingston; 09-13-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    I’ve had a decently productive week. My schedule/plan has changed a bit after I realized some issues with it but everything should still work out on time. First things first I got some parts for this over the last couple weeks, don’t remember posting them; set of TCKline DAs, GC medium front bar, and hard motorsports dash plate.

Tore down the S50 to get ready for machine shop/refreshing. I think the chassis is going to take precedence over this for now. I want to get the car caged and interior painted before winter, painting in the cold is never a good idea imo.

Dash and HVAC box have been taken out. I also removed the drivers window stuff, passenger door is so close to the wall that idk if I’ll be able to take it out right now. It was a productive Sunday.

Tuesday night I went crazy on the interior. I removed the steering column, pedals, booster, and entire harness. I began weeding out the harness during the week. Once it’s been weeded out, I’ll attempt to remove the front and rear glass myself, then begin grinding down misc things in the interior to prep it for the cage as well as the engine bay to prep it for paint. I’m thinking of a battleship grey type interior. Function>form here.

next;
    weed through wiring harness
    remove glass and figure out local lexan dealers
    interior cage & engine bay prep
    motor rebuilding
    design cage & study nasa rule book
    [thinking of taking ideas from this cage]
    Last edited by unloadedak; 09-16-2016 at 10:57 PM.

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    1993 325is
    If you have digital calipers and could measure the wall thickness of your GC Medium bar, I would be eternally grateful. The black plastic plug pops out pretty easily. I have what is supposed to be the small/soft bar and the wall thickness is in question.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jakermac; 09-17-2016 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    Many
    Brother, you have a special kind of OCD . Much respect on this build.

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    If you have digital calipers and could measure the wall thickness of your GC Medium bar, I would be eternally grateful. The black plastic plug pops out pretty easily. I have what is supposed to be the small/soft bar and the wall thickness is in question.

Thanks!
    I wasn't able to find my nice dial caliper so i borrowed this junk one from work, i took 3 readings in three spots and they all differed.

small update.

harness is oh i'd say 98% trimmed. i removed all of the modules on the passenger side, except ABS. It's almost there, I've still got to:

• remove high beams & interior dimmer
    • bypass check control module (this took forever to figure out)
    • remove most of headlight switch, will wire in a spdt toggle
    • wire up two speed wiper circuit with spdt toggle
    • fix some wires that were messed up by someone in the past
    • replace those god awful black splice boxes with some parallel crimps or butt if only two wires
    • finish trimming wires back to prevent shorts
    • rewrap in tesa tape

From left to right; engine bay harness to fan/headlights --> fuse box --> cluster/stalks/headlight sw/ignition --> +12V charger port for go pro --> ABS plug --> tail lights/fuel pump/vss

most of the trash thus far. will be weighing it when i'm fully done trimming

Small update on chassis fab. I've decided to build the cage like this cage. Which means I will be removing the rear bulkhead and I will also be removing the spare tire well and covering that up with some sheet aluminum. It's looking like cage will be happening some time in December hopefully. Glass should be out this weekend and harness should be prepped as much as it can be outside the chassis this weekend as well. Once I've trimmed all my brackets, ground down plinth areas, received & installed TCKlines, mounted some wheels, and double checked everything. It'll get towed to my buddies shop where we will knock out the cage on it. Any spare time between fabrication will be dedicated to the S50 being refreshed; it's completely torn down right now and being cleaned up. I don't have much S50 motivation because I truly want an S54 in this car, but that would add at least another year onto the deadline.... seat time>instagram likes

next;
    partial harness prep
    remove front & rear glass
    interior & engine bay prep for cage
    motor rebuilding

check out my eBay store

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    this is fantastic.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    2x E46M & 3x E36M
    I’ve been working A LOT on the chassis in the last couple weeks. It may not look like much but it’s the result of oh I’d say around 80h of grinding and cleaning. It’s getting there. It is almost ready to be caged!

Rear glass was finally removed and then I immediately grabbed the angle grinder to remove the bulkhead.

Engine bay grinding began as well; removed seam sealer and various brackets that will not be needed.

S54 oil pan, pump, dipstick, and filter housing acquired and cleaned up.

I cleaned up the upper area of the bulkhead, this was a very tedious process to make it as smooth as possible with the factory sheetmetal contours.

CF SUNROOF!

I then grabbed two cans of berryman carb cleaner to soak the pistons, rods, and other misc parts. I’m almost done cleaning all the pistons/rods.

Removed the front glass and found some rust…. I’ll just TIG whatever is left back together and possibly just run a lexan front as well, still undecided on that.

Began trimming down the doors! Fine trimming to happen this week.

I’d call this a 98% prepped interior, ready for a cage.

It looks so good with no glass

I’ve been ordering a lot of engine rebuild parts and tools lately and planning to get atleast the short block rebuilt before the car goes to buddies for cage. I may even try to have the cylinder head refreshed and installed onto that short block as well, we will just have to see how much spare time I’ve got in November!

next;
    finish minor remaining cage prep
    install tcklines, steering column, and get chassis rolling
    rebuilding s50

check out my eBay store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast