Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to build a dank e36 drift car, part deux: The Chosen One

My Cars
    98 323

How to build a dank e36 drift car, part deux: The Chosen One

hey everyone, so your favorite online dick is back to cause a ruckus again. i'm gonna try to tone the dickery down this time though, i promise (maybe)

anyway, so i finally came to a point where i can do some stuff to make my car fast and kewl. after debating whether i should do a turbo or a v8 for months, i finally settled with mikes' advice and put together a parts list for a turbo build. before i pulled the trigger, i decided to do a last minute compression test... you know, because just in case

needless to say, the m52 isn't healthy enough to turbo it. i have no idea what's wrong with it, but i don't care enough about it to fix it. instead, as you all know i love to be different, i decided to take a different route - i believe i'll be the first documented case of a 351w swapped e36, potentially the first one ever. made a large purchase on summit racing sunday night, most of my parts are coming in tomorrow, but the block doesn't ship until 3/14

i'm sure people will ask why i went with a 351w instead of the usual 302 or ls1, well the short answer is cost/reliability/power. i have a bunch of parts left over from my 302 e30, so a lot of money was saved on speed parts. i also didn't want a block that splits at stock-450whp levels either. i'll have to do a cost estimate of the value of the stuff i already have, but here's what i spent on everything the other day:

e36v8 engine mounts: $199 shipped (this was probably a mistake considering how bad matts' QC is, but i'm in a rush and don't have the best welder, making mounts from scratch would set me back a week)
    knockoff edelbrock efi/carb manifold: $175.99
    felpro rubber valvecover gaskets: $26.97
    '94-95 water pump (shortest SBF pump): $55.97
    camshaft thrust plate: $5.99
    msd rev limiter: $134.95
    '94-95 timing cover: $85.97
    head dowel pins: $6.99
    195* thermostat: $14.97
    spark plugs: $12.72
    air filter element: $13.99
    summit triple pass radiator: $209.97
    18psi radiator cap: $5.97
    '94-95 pulley set: $99.97
    oil pump driveshaft: $20.26
    canton road race baffled oil pan: $350
    canton oil pump pickup: $56
    fidanza 13.5lb flywheel: $399.97
    remanned shortblock: $1599
    high volume oil pump: $69.97
    hei distributor: $157.97
    harmonic balancer: $76.97
    arp head studs: $158.49
    head gaskets: $94.99
    rubber oil pan gasket: $22.97

which brings us to a total of $4,056.01. i could've saved a grand by rebuilding a shortblock myself, but like i said i was in a rush and finding roller-capable 351w blocks for a reasonable price is surprisingly difficult.

i think you'd be very hard pressed to do an aluminum ls swap for this price. even an iron 5.3 block would probably exceed this figure once you account for the transmission and other rebuild/speed bits; i don't even like the idea of using one of those either, the bare blocks alone weigh in the ballpark of 210lbs.

anyway, updates on the engine swap won't be coming until i finish my last event with the m52 this month

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    WHEEL SIZES

i gave up on trying to get 9.5 et -12 wheels to fit in the front after a recent suspension mod. way too much compromise, way too much clearancing. 245's fit on 8.5" wheels well enough, so i decided to switch back to my old wheels. just for reference, this is how much i had to hack my fenders up to get the 9.5's to clear

and don't be afraid to have a little bit of wheel gap in the rear, dealing with clearance can be a pain otherwise

oh also, it is possible to fit 330i/m3 rotors underneath 15" style 32s with wilwood calipers and a 2.5" spacer

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    WEIGHT REDUCTION

well this one is pretty straight forward - remove all the crap you don't care about. for now i've just got the back seats and the sunroof gone. the seats really weren't so heavy, but all the sunroof/headliner stuff was probably 20ish pounds. my solution to covering up the hole from the sunroof delete was to simply make a few brackets to hold the original cover up and use some caulk to seal it. looks ghetto now, but i can do it the right way once my cage is installed

SUSPENSION

as long as the seller can tell you what the rates on their springs are, i don't see what's wrong with getting ebay coilovers. i personally went through ground control for my setup. $1137 shipped for 525/700lb springs and koni yellow shocks. i personally like them - alot

replace your bushings too, i guess. any flopping around is just gonna work against you while trying to start drifts and transitions. if your control arm bushings need replacement, don't waste your money on lolipops, get teeny eyeball units, you'll appreciate the exhaust clearance if you ever wind up doing a v8 swap

also, these ebay camber arms have served me well. people have mentioned that they bend in accidents - first off, don't hit things. secondly, something's gotta bend if you bash the wheel into something and i'd rather it be a $80 set of ebay arms vs something expensive, or even worse - the frame

EBRAKE

many ways to skin this cat, but i personally found this to be the easiest way to mount a hydraulic ebrake

the master is bolted to a plate which is bolted to where the airbag computer used to be. no idea if all e36's have this though

ANGLE KITS

so many options here. you've got welded knuckles, the polish ebay 30% blocks, wisefab, SLR, yours truly* and a few blatant wisefab/SLR copycats over in europe. i have no experience with the wisefab stuff, all i really know about them is they're quite expensive, so i won't really touch base on them

the polish blocks
    are an option if you're trying to ball on a budget... and that's about it

they run about $150 shipped and will increase your angle by about 30% and reduce your ackerman to literal zero. installed with their supplied hardware, you will also permanantley mar the tie rod hole in the knuckle - they include a wheel stud to drive through the bottom to secure the block to the knuckle

the tie rod hole is also untapered, so i don't imagine the tie rod fitment is very tight. but like i said before, if you're trying to drift on a budget i guess they'll work, maybe

the SLR full kit is a great option for dedicated racecars and people who don't mind communication response times reminiscent of the 1940s. the exposed rod ends and spherical bearings aren't exactly ideal for street driven cars though, mine developed a little play after about a year or two of street driving

the SLR half kit is something of a compromise. you can get the same angles as a full SLR kit, but you have to be careful of wheel clearance. if you wind up using any sort of steering stop (short of the inner tie rod stops) or have clearance issues you will wind up putting major stress on the ackerman locating dowels.

note how the pins look like they're ready to shear in half at any given moment. i wonder how many half kit guys are driving around like this

anyway, i tried ordering a set of arms and pins from SLR to remedy this issue, but after multiple emails over three months with no response i gave up and had my OE arms extended via welding. according to my welder, the bmw arms are made of cast steel and weld very very well

i still didn't have a solution for the pins though, so i got mad and decided to make my own angle blocks. i wanted identical angle but without having to use exposed spherical bearings or rod ends.

the one compromise you have to make with this design is that caster is reduced by 1", though this can be regained with offset CABs. also, since steering speed/travel is doubled, i had to figure out some way to limit the steering without putting extra stress on the block/tie rod. so i wound up machining a collar to clamp onto the rack shaft, essentially preventing excess travel

so far, driving it around on the street has been pretty cool, full lock from center is done in a little over 1 turn of the steering wheel and most offramps can be done with 1/4 turn of the wheel

as of now i've only made it for myself and a few friends. no idea if i'm making any more, though if testing goes well during this season... who knows? anyway i'm tired and hungry now and can't think of anything else. updates later

**oh yeah i already asked the mods if i can talk about stuff i made but have no plans to sell yet... but they still haven't gotten back to me... so yeah
    Last edited by jalopi; 03-01-2016 at 06:50 PM.
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I'm guessing you're not a machinist by trade...

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    98 323
    i know none of you need an explanation of just how satisfying a view like this is

also, apparently the shortblock shipped today, almost two weeks earlier than summit told me it would! so stoked

my e36v8 mounts came in too, which was surprisingly quick. they look to be matts' old version of the mounts too... but whatever, fixing them down the road shouldn't be too hard, provided they even crack anyway

one thing i forgot to go over earlier - here are the challenges i'm expecting with the 351 vs the 302

*brake booster probably has to go. i've seen too many threads/pictures where the valve cover is pretty much touching the booster with a 302. the 351 valve covers will stick out about 1.3" more, so it definitely will be an issue. luckily, i still have a massive booster delete from my e30 than i plan on using. manual brakes don't suck so bad with big ol' wilwood calipers

*custom headers will pretty much be a must. i plan on modifying the shorty headers i had on my old 302 car

*hood clearance - i really hope i don't have to, but odds are i'll have to put a minor 1-2" cowl near the back of my hood to accommodate the air filter as e30/36 hood clearance seems to be about the same and my old setup was pretty much touching the hood. i guess i'll cross that bridge once i get there

another thing i want to do in this thread is dispel the myth that iron ford swaps are boat anchors compared to the m50/LS. later today i'll be taking pictures of everything on a scale and posting em up
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    98 323
    one thing i'd like to touch on - for anyone who's thinking about doing a ford swap, get pulleys and a water pump off of a '94-95 mustang! they're apparently the shortest sbf accessories ever mass produced with the explorer ones as a very very close second

here's a few shots of my old foxbody pulleys and pumps next to the '94-95 stang stuff

looks to be about 1.5" shorter than the older mustang stuff. puller fans might just be a viable option with these accessories, maybe even with an e30 too
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    n/a
    I'm sure you paid attention to my build since you posted so much in it, so i'm trying not to tell you something that you don't already know.

But, just some information that i've gained. The bushing spacing on those mounts are going to have to be messed with. I have e30 bushings and about an inch of spacing after that. With that I was able to just barely fit the oem oil pan and an aftermarket rear sump 8qt fits with some space around it. The hood spacing above with a lowish intake, carb, and 2in intake doesn't clear the hood still. And the hood is spaced about an inch and a half up top already. I have a hood vent with most of the hood structure underneath cut out already as well.

Either way, i'm curious to see how you hoon that in there!

My Cars
    98 323
    sheeeeetttt, well that's not the best news to hear

i'm making my mounts from scratch out of aluminum since i don't feel like spending money on e30 mounts, so i'll squeeze as much clearance out of my pan as possible.

eating dinner and taking a break from the garage right now, about to head back up and work on my booster delete

protip: the massivebrakes booster delete will NOT work with an e36. the bolt spacing is something like 4" on the e30, it's more like 3.5-3.75" on the e36. which is disappointing, because massivelee kinda sorta implied that it might work on the e36. whatevs. already have the plate made and master hole bored out, just need to drill/tap the mounting holes

i definitely am not looking forward to doing the headers

brb 17 day [hopeful] engine swap in progress
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Would like video of the process plz. I'd laugh at the booster delete but you basically got that on lock already. Heh lock. I hate the brakes on your car btw. Exact opposite problem I have. But killing the booster will likely make it feel normal.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 323
    plugged the booster line the other day just to see how it was - pretty terrible actually. the car does stop though

i'm not changing the pedal ratio on my DIY plate since the e36 brake pedal is hollow and i don't feel like spending time making a bushing for the rod pin. i'm thinking with a 3/4" master it should be bearable, with wilwood calipers up front later it should feel like a boosted car again

picking my shortblock up from UPS' freight warehouse today

if i wasn't in such a hurry i'd definitely do a video, but pictures/videos seem like they would slow me down too much
    Last edited by jalopi; 03-04-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's more dank the more progress pix/video you have. Yolo son. Show pix to your kids years from now and go "see. I was awesome before you came around."

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 323
    dammit fine good point, i'll take some pics of the DIY plate and other progress. i have no good way of making video though, so that's kind of out of the question

i already have about 100 pics of part weights that i just haven't had time to post up yet
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    Cosmos E36 M3 x2 !!!
    anyway, i tried ordering a set of arms and pins from SLR to remedy this issue, but after multiple emails over three months with no response i gave up and had my OE arms extended via welding. according to my welder, the bmw arms are made of cast steel and weld very very well

i still didn't have a solution for the pins though, so i got mad and decided to make my own angle blocks. i wanted identical angle but without having to use exposed spherical bearings or rod ends.

the one compromise you have to make with this design is that caster is reduced by 1", though this can be regained with offset CABs. also, since steering speed/travel is doubled, i had to figure out some way to limit the steering without putting extra stress on the block/tie rod. so i wound up machining a collar to clamp onto the rack shaft, essentially preventing excess travel

so far, driving it around on the street has been pretty cool, full lock from center is done in a little over 1 turn of the steering wheel and most offramps can be done with 1/4 turn of the wheel

as of now i've only made it for myself and a few friends. no idea if i'm making any more, though if testing goes well during this season... who knows? anyway i'm tired and hungry now and can't think of anything else. updates later

**oh yeah i already asked the mods if i can talk about stuff i made but have no plans to sell yet... but they still haven't gotten back to me... so yeah[/QUOTE]

Soooooo, what are the chances you could replicate another one of these kits for a certain person....
    #NANNERFAB Custom BMW Aero & More
    IG: @Nanner_Tickleson
    1998 Cosmos M3/4/5
    1999 Cosmos M3/2/5

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Dumb question, but are you going to run it Carb'd?

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    This is awesome. I've always wondered what it would take to get a 351 to fit. Did you already say which heads you're going to run?

My Cars
    98 323
    so i haven't updated this in a bit. the 20 day swap just isn't happening, after day 3 i was so beat i couldn't get out of bed until 10AM, turns out i don't have the same amount of stamina that i had ten years ago... no surprise. also, ups delivered my shortblock three days late; my intake manifold went on backorder too and isn't shipping until this monday. but at least my pile of parts is actually starting to look like something now

i bought one of those efi/squarebore manifolds so that i can rock a carb for now and fuel injection down the road. the carb i'm using is the edelbrock off of my old 302 e30, as long as i didn't spin the fuel slosh wasn't too bad on it, at least according to my wideband anyway

as far as the heads go, i'm reusing the edelbrock rpms off of my e30 as well. they might not flow as good as AFRs but they'll do just fine with putting down the power i want for now
    Last edited by jalopi; 03-10-2016 at 11:06 PM.
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ha. And you were pestering me about getting my wagon done quickly. And you're like 22 lol.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Ha. And you were pestering me about getting my wagon done quickly. And you're like 22 lol.

i don't want to hear about lack of stamina.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    heh. I think he's 25 or 26. I turn 31 this year. I'm still mostly good. Definitely can't work on 3 hours of sleep like I could when I was 20. But I also still push pretty hard physically (hit dem weights 5x a week).

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    i just turned 30 in january and realized i was in the worst shape of my life. 5'7" 230lb 44" waist.

changed my diet and started hitting the gym 5 - 6x a week about six weeks ago and am down to 216lb and 42" waist. yay progress!

i've never been a high stamina kind of guy though. so i don't anticipate gaining any since i never had any to begin with.
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Running did a lot for my stamina. I did 5k 3x a week for a while. My body isn't build for running though. I run 5k every few weeks to make sure I still can without walking. You'd be surprised what you can do! I lost ~45lb at one point. 215-169.

Dave here on the other hand. Probably needs to gain weight lol.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    I do a little cardio every time to warm up my body before lifting. My lower back won't let me run though. the impact gets to me. (back surgery in 2006). i'm hoping to lose 50lb by december. long road ahead for sure
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    98 323
    turning 29 this year, lol

why does working out and having labor intensive hobbies need to be so hard

that's what really killed me anyway, wednesday last week was my second workout of a new schedule, thursday was "hey lets swap an engine in 20 days" and then my body was like

Last edited by jalopi; 03-11-2016 at 09:04 AM.
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I had a coach for running. Helped me stop all back pain running. Something about comfy shoes making you run fucked up. Run on your toes. Short short strides but fast. Told me "low gear, high rpm" and it clicked. Now my hip clicks too. But that's cuz I dislocated it in high school. Mmmmm

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    i might look up one of the trainers at the YMCA i workout at. for now though, i'm just trying to stick with waking up at 4:15am to work out during the week, let alone meeting a trainer at a specific time.

sorry for thread hijack lol
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Damn son. you old as fuark!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast