Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Confused About E36 M3 Wheel Fitment

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i 5-Spd 4dr

Confused About E36 M3 Wheel Fitment

Hello, I've been getting a lot of confusing information on this subject and I decided to make a post here hopefully to get some solid info.

I have a 1998 M3 Convertible (techno violet <3) and I'd like to put different rims on it.

It has 17x7.5 inch DS2's on it right now. They look good, but I feel a different style rim (mesh, basket) suits the convertible better.

I'm just pretty well confused about the whole wheel fitment and spacing thing.

I've seen a couple posts elsewhere about people saying what rims fit, but then I have people telling me that those rims won't fit. They're basing it on the offset of the rim, the width, etc.
    I've seen stories of 17x8 fitting but doesn't state the offset.

If someone could do me a huge favor, and tell me what the maximum width is that will fit on bone stock suspension, and maximum offset (and what kind of role it plays, I know it defines how close the wheel hub is to either side of the rim but not sure how big a role it plays on the M3)

Ideally, I'd like to have 17x7.5 Style 5's with a 20mm offset. I've been told they fit, I've been told they don't. Any solid information at this point is well appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have put this in the fitment thread, but I'm also looking for information about wheel measurements on this.

My Cars
    '90 bmw 325is, '90 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaPsychoPsycho View Post
    Hello, I've been getting a lot of confusing information on this subject and I decided to make a post here hopefully to get some solid info.

I have a 1998 M3 Convertible (techno violet <3) and I'd like to put different rims on it.

It has 17x7.5 inch DS2's on it right now. They look good, but I feel a different style rim (mesh, basket) suits the convertible better.

I'm just pretty well confused about the whole wheel fitment and spacing thing.

I've seen a couple posts elsewhere about people saying what rims fit, but then I have people telling me that those rims won't fit. They're basing it on the offset of the rim, the width, etc.
    I've seen stories of 17x8 fitting but doesn't state the offset.

If someone could do me a huge favor, and tell me what the maximum width is that will fit on bone stock suspension, and maximum offset (and what kind of role it plays, I know it defines how close the wheel hub is to either side of the rim but not sure how big a role it plays on the M3)

Ideally, I'd like to have 17x7.5 Style 5's with a 20mm offset. I've been told they fit, I've been told they don't. Any solid information at this point is well appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd have put this in the fitment thread, but I'm also looking for information about wheel measurements on this.
    The wheels themselves will fit. The one thing you'd want to be careful with is tire size. You may run into a little bit of rubbing issues if you run too wide of a tire. 245s in the rear and 225s up front should be good. There are alot of factors when talking about wheel fitment. Are you going to be running more than stock camber? What kind of fitment are you ultimately trying to achieve? You may have to adjust camber a little bit to make sure everything works the way you want it to.

My Cars
    89 525i, 85 528e, 93 325
    If your DS2s aren't staggered, they are 17x7.5 et41. This means that the flat surface where the wheel bolts to the car is 41mm's from the center of the wheel.
    As offsets get lower, the wheel will stick out further and further.

Being at stock height, you will most likely be able to run somewhere around a 235/40 or 245/40 without any fender modifications, pending the wheels you end up with.

RC090 (style 5's) are 17x8 et20. With that width and offset, im going to guess the ideal tire size for stock suspension and fenders would be either a 225/45 or possible a 235/40.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i 5-Spd 4dr
    Thanks for your help guys, and if I were to run Enkei Lusso wheels (smallest they make in 5x120 bolt pattern is 18x8, 40mm inset) I shouldn't run into any issues (should I?) , though I'd have to get the right tires for it.

Also, correct if me I'm wrong (good chance) but in order to have the same clearance, I'd have to put a 215 width on the front, and a 230 width in the rear?
    Or would I be able to run the same tires, because I BELIEVE that BMW had an 18x8 optional wheel on the E36 M3 (Not sure but I've heard they also fit) with the same tire dimensions as the 17x75.s

Last edited by ImaPsychoPsycho; 03-02-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Including size chart

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaPsychoPsycho View Post
    Thanks for your help guys, and if I were to run Enkei Lusso wheels (smallest they make in 5x120 bolt pattern is 18x8, 40mm inset) I shouldn't run into any issues (should I?) , though I'd have to get the right tires for it.

Also, correct if me I'm wrong (good chance) but in order to have the same clearance, I'd have to put a 215 width on the front, and a 230 width in the rear?
    Or would I be able to run the same tires, because I BELIEVE that BMW had an 18x8 optional wheel on the E36 M3 (Not sure but I've heard they also fit) with the same tire dimensions as the 17x75.s
    Width could stay the same. You'll just have to run lower profile tires (the second number). E36 M3s didn't come with 18"factory options. Some people pull off 18s fine, but my opinion is 17s look better.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i 5-Spd 4dr
    Thanks for all your help everyone.