Thread: Cruise control actuator knocking, fixable?

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46

Cruise control actuator knocking, fixable?

OK, I have searched, there is some indication that this might be easily fixable.

My previously working cruise control (and yes, I do use it and would like it to work) knocks constantly when the ignition is on. I just unplugged the clutch switch to kill it for now, but I would like it to work again.

Can anyone who has had this problem comment on what they found and how fixed? Or point to a source? The electrical part is not the problem, I have schematics, etc, this is a mechanical problem with the actuator itself, thanks much in advance!

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    I never had one knock like that, but I did have one that un-threaded internally. The rubber strap had pulled out of the throttle cable buckle. IIRC the E30 and E28 all use the same VDO actuator body, with different brackets and cables.

My Cars
    1985 bmw 635csi euro
    I have the same issue. I have replaced with used actuator, cruise unit, and stalk. Still knocking. the actuator was a used one, so maybe it is bad as well.... I too would like my cruise to work.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    Although I've had a very mixed bag of luck with replacing them in VDO stuff over the years, I'd guess that some capacitors have failed inside the control unit. Here's a bit of wisdom about that very problem from some Porsche guys. If I get some time I'll pull out a spare and see what it looks like inside. Can't be too much different, can it?

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    Thanks so far. I would just pull mine out but the stupid ps fluid reservoir/lines are all over the thing and there is no way to get it out without moving all that first. Being in that spot, it does collect some goo on it from the ps fluid tank, so that surely does not help.

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)

My Cars
    91 735, 84 733, 84 633

Cruise Control "Knocking" Same Problem so I'm resurrecting this string

My cruise control started a loud pulsating Knocking noise. I have not had the car on the road for long, I have no idea if it worked or not.
    It happens when you turn on the ignition. You can feel the unit under the PS reservoir pulsating and it makes a loud knocking noise.
    Sometimes you can stop it by moving the cruise control lever on the steering column. Applying the clutch or brake will stop it temporarily.
    It will start again unexpectedly while driving although the cruise does not actually start to function.
    Previous post says to 'disconnect the clutch switch' to disable it.
    I guess I can figure that out unless someone can point me in the right direction and save me some time.
    Same fuse operates several other circuits so pulling the fuse is not an option.
    All help much appreciated. It's still worth it all to be driving an old 6er again! John Kenneth

My Cars
    91 735, 84 733, 84 633

No replies so I'm adding a few comments

I tried searching other forums, there are some problems with other models but seems to be more prevalent on the sixer. Pehaps due to location of the actuator?
    I was wondering where Kinetic, markiehd, Sprocket are now? And if they ever fixed their cruise control problems? Although some of those posts are years old but Hey, I've been around the forums since 1991 or 2!
    DesktopDave has an excellent response on another string and I will get into this problem at another time but meantime, it seems straight forward to disable so I will do that as I have "bigger fish to fry" on this car.
    I'm on several forums and I try to post a fix or solution when I find it. Our daily drivers are Taurus's and I posted a description how to remove the nut that holds the EGR. Currently 11,000 views and counting so must have helped someone!

Here's an off topic ramble, many years ago when I was a kid growing up in rural New Zealand, our neighbors owned a race horse. He was a smart horse and in addition to being well trained, somehow that horse knew he was supposed to win races. He ran because he wanted to run and he was very successful. You can probably see where I'm going with this. I have owned and driven a lot of cars in the 55 years I have been driving. But a BMW has something in its DNA, it wants to run. Even my old 320 beater (that was so rusty I couldn't put anything in the trunk) just wanted to run. So it's good to crank up the old 633 and drive a BMW again. Despite being neglected with 315K miles, like that racehorse, you have to hold it back, it just wants to run.

My Cars
    87 635 CSi, 88 560SL, 97
    I agree with BMW DNA in my wiring. The comment about BMW's wanting to run really is a thing...

My Cars
    '85 635CSi, '87 535is
    I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in, as others may be having this same problem. About four years ago my cruise control module began "knocking" exactly as described in the OP. I purchased a replacement module (don't recall if it was new or rebuilt) from ProgRama for about "$85 which fixed the problem. I don't see these particular modules currently listed, but they may be able to rebuild one if you send it in.

https://www.programainc.com/default.aspx