Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Bavsound Stage 1 review E36 coupe

My Cars
    e30 x 2; ls3 e36; 525it

Bavsound Stage 1 review E36 coupe

A couple of my winter projects were to replace my door panels and replace the rear nokia (HIFI) speakers that were blown. My first problem was my aftermarket tweeters were epoxied to my old door panels. So after research it was clear that unless you understand audio, there’s no good aftermarket replacement without an aftermarket amp in these cars. I thought I’d just replace all of the speakers with BSW since people seemed to be happy with them and this is a car that I plan to take care of. Sounded like the HK version puts out a little more volume and bass so I picked up an HK amp for $50, since I am making the effort to get decent sound. Sourced out some OEM tweeters (for the housing) and their harnesses and I put my BSW stage one order in.

Packaging
    There was a slight delay in shipping due to backordered items but a week and a half later I got the package. Really nicely packed… each speaker pair was in their own individual box. BSW is currently running a promotion to get a free tool kit (didn’t need it but who doesn’t like free tools). The speakers themselves looked much nicer and of higher quality too (big surprise, I know!)

Install
    Props to BSW for having several youtube videos on install tips and a PDF on their site to install the kit. Makes this much more DIY friendly for people on the fence. There was a slight discrepancy in the PDF, BSW confirmed there is no longer a need to install the rear 6x9s with foam to seal the adapter to the rear bulk head. Overall, install was pretty straight forward and simple.
    Also, since I was using tweeter and mid-range housings from a non-HK car, the fitment was slightly different than using the HK housings. For example, the speakers do not “snap” into the housings and I was not able to use a provided brace on the mid-ranges. However this was all negligible as the speakers fit very snug and the provided glue is very strong and flexible to make sure all the pieces are secure and rattle-free. Either housings should be just fine for both HK and non-HK BSW speakers.
    Install tip #1 - glue the tweeter/midranges and then install them on the doors just to make sure you don’t have a tough time screwing the lock rings on with dried glue on the threads.
    Install tip#2 – they provide foam to apply on the outside of the front mid-bass speakers to go between the speaker and kickpanel. Since you are covering up the mounting holes, place the screws through the foam before you attempt to mount the speaker. Or tear the foam so you can see the mounting holes.
    There was a slight distortion at mid volume when I first connected a midrange but somehow this went away during later testing. The comforting thing was BSW was ready to ship out a replacement with little fuss.

Sound
    Call me impressed! And no, I’m not even comparing this to the old tired setup I had. The stage one simply sounded good, I’m betting better than 90% of new cars, with or without factory upgrades. Good bass (leaving it at 0 or +1 was plenty) and rich sounds, highs and lows. I have a 5 year old Sony headunit which may have helped as well. I will add that I’ve had an H/K E46 coupe and this system is better hands down in sound quality.
    There are a couple BSW videos playing music but it is impossible to hear the quality through those videos. I walked into this thinking I was paying a premium for this speaker upgrade compared to an aftermarket amp and system but now I’m less convinced that is the case. I really didn’t expect the factory amp to perform at this level. Another satisfied customer here!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Thanks for the write up. I just replaced all the factory H/K speakers with the bavsound stage 1 for my e36 M3 Convertible. While I had the door panels off, I took the opportunity to add some sound proofing material. I agree the sound has greatly improved even with the stock head unit.

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    I know this is an old post but exactly im looking to do, Glad to see this makes an improvement. My car has stock 1995 front speakers
    and aftermarket rear speakers that just sound bad. Even with a nice new Alpine deck with a tad more power there is just no bass whatesoever.

Im chalking up mostly as prob worn out front woofers and or the wrong impedance rear speakers, Hoping this changes the sound a decent amount.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]