Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1999 E36 M3 RB26dett project

My Cars
    Looking
    I will be sure to get a sound clip up ASAP. Lol.

My Cars
    Looking
    Bought my Haltech platinum pro ecu today. Sad times. Talk about hurting your bank accounts feelings. Hal here local at a very reputable shop called Dynosty (will be doing the tuning) said I picked up the last one on the current batch coming over from the land of the Kangaroos. Should be here in about two weeks.

My Cars
    Looking
    Just a small update. I know I posted already today, but just got an update from my fabrication guy. He was able to totally finish up the charge pipes. He sent me some pictures of the lower portion of them that attach to the intercooler. Just thought I would share.

And an update on the downpipe.

Ok, got another update from my fab guy today. he was able to get the majority of the downpipe finished up. The piece really had to snake quite a bit to get around everything on its way down to the ground. Quite a few hours went into this piece. Once under the car, we still had some concerns on ground clearance using 3.5 pipe. Especially going under the transmission crossmember. Andrew, my fab guy suggested we use a small transition to an oval stainless steel portion go travel under said crossmember. I think the piece cam out great, and looks really good in person. The last picture makes the outlet of the downpipe look a little off center, but its just an illusion. The heat shield above the pipe is not secured and is a little offcenter causing this...... anyway.... :2f2f:

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Looking great.

My Cars
    Looking
    Just a small update. Stopped by the Haltech location close to me (My fab guy actually is an employee there) to talk about my build and ended up paying them a ton of money..... :ugh: Keep in mind my actual ECU from Haltech is still in transit from Australia. I ended up picking up the WBC1 kit while I was there along with the display gauge that apparently is a newer release. They also convinced me to go ahead and get a boost control solenoid and a good IAT sensor since I will convert to MAP on the tune..... Anyway, just a quick shot.

My Cars
    Looking
    Went by the Fab shop this morning to bring some exhaust wrap to throw on the downpipe before we bolted it in for good. He hopes to finish the exhaust this afternoon, but I snapped a few pictures while I was there....

A better shot of the Charge pipes from underneath

And a good underneath shot of how the wastegate will be placed

My Cars
    Looking
    ETA will be this Saturday June 4th. My fab guy will be crossing his t's and dotting his I's and hope to get my car loaded up and back home Saturday. He did snap a couple quick pictures of his progress on the tail end of the exhaust.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Looking great.

My Cars
    Looking
    Good evening all. Very exciting day for me. Spent all day at work bored as hell, and the. Got to come home to my new house and install an over the range microwave. Finally got time to sit down and open a package I got today. It made me very happy to say the least. These puppy's are on a 2 month back order at the moment. Will get the car back this Saturday and get to wire it all in.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    First, I have to say. This is some beautiful stuff, lots of high quality parts here, going into an already beautiful chassis.

Your fabricator is obviously doing some top notch work, and I'm sure he isn't doing it for cheap, but if I may suggest, it would be wise to make the downpipe into two separate pieces, v-banded together. The way it is currently designed will make it practically impossible to remove/ install without a lift. Just a thought.

All in all, this car is going to be a magnificent beast. Good job dude.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    First, I have to say. This is some beautiful stuff, lots of high quality parts here, going into an already beautiful chassis.

Your fabricator is obviously doing some top notch work, and I'm sure he isn't doing it for cheap, but if I may suggest, it would be wise to make the downpipe into two separate pieces, v-banded together. The way it is currently designed will make it practically impossible to remove/ install without a lift. Just a thought.

All in all, this car is going to be a magnificent beast. Good job dude.
    Good observation!!!!! Actually I did bring up the same point to my fab guy during the process and he explained that space was the limiting factor considering I wanted such a large diameter pipe. He said there was physically so many bend and such little space he didn't see a good spot to place a flange or vband. Would not have been accessible once in the car. You are correct on needing a lift though. You have to pretty much get the down pipe vertical underneath the car and corkscrew it out. That's why I took the time to wrap the upper portion of the dump pipe while he had it on the lift. The 1/4 inch that added made it even more tight. Needless to say I have spent a little money with DEI and heatsheild products on some fire sleeves and heat protection. Will update soon.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Glad to see you are taking heat precautions before hand. Do you have an IG for your car/build?

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Glad to see you are taking heat precautions before hand. Do you have an IG for your car/build?
    I'm gonna have to say no since I'm not sure what an IG is. What's it mean? Sorry for the ignorance.

Instagram!!!! I get it now. Sorry. No I don't have an IG account.
    Last edited by Dcreech0; 06-02-2016 at 12:51 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcreech0 View Post
    Sorry. No I don't have an IG account.
    That's a shame, I wouldn't mind having this car popping up on my feed every once in awhile lol. It's a real stunner

My Cars
    Looking
    Exhaust got finished and buttoned up tonight and I am pretty pumped. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. We did decide to use an oval tip on the rear to avoid giving the car a huge cannon exhaust look.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    I dig it..I am partial to two tips like the facotry one, but I think this looks really good!
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    Looking
    The car got to come back home to its new home today. Still moving into the new house, and the garage was quite empty without the car. Just a couple new pictures for you all.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    .......looks completely stock....

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What are you expecting it to make?

My Cars
    Looking
    Sorry everyone for the sparce updates here as of late. I have been overwhelmed with trying to move into this new house. I have spent some time with the car though. Nothing too impressive to post pictures on. I have been working with the wiring specalties harness and the haltech wideband wiring. I will be sure to post pictures of finished products for sure. I did get a couple goodies in the mail as well to include a custom Saikou Michi catch can. These things are legit, and are commonly used in the lotus community. I had mr. Michi make a custom one for me to use in my situation. Also requested it be powder coated white. I decided to use a closed loop system so that the system will still have vacuum unlike an atmosphere setup. More pictures of it installed shortly.
    I also spent a little time working on fans. I ordered a total of 2 12" spal fans that flow 1200cfm each. Come to find out, it's a very tight fit. One of these will work on the passenger side of the radiator, but in no way will fit on the drivers side with power steering. My plan as of now is to use the one 12" fan as a primary cooking source powered by the haltech and then install a smaller 9 inch fan on the other side as a secondary also run by the haltech. Smaller one will kick on if water temps get to high. Anyway...... More later. CHEERS!

My Cars
    Looking
    Snapped a couple more quick pictures for you all tonight to explain some things I was trying to discuss earlier. Sorry for the crappy pictures. Did the best I could do with my cell phone at 11:30 at night.

Here is a quick picture of where I am wanting the catch can to be placed at home. This picture doesn't show it bolted down, but close to where I want it. Bigger barb obviously will go to valve cover breather, and smaller barb will go to the vacuum source on turbo intake.

Here is a quick picture showing the Haltech IAT sensor I installed. I had to tap and retread the OEM location to fit this better sensor. We all know the Nissan ones are junk basically the same sensor as the water temp sensor. The picture also shows where I installed the water temp sensor on the water outlet. This will send to my aftermarket gauge in the cabin.

And last but not least, a quick couple pictures that show my space delimma I am having with the radiator fans and my belt drive system. The picture shows my 12 inch spal installed on the passenger side of the radiator. It's a tight squeeze, but works.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Great pics.

Can't wait to hear and see this thing running.

My Cars
    Looking
    Ok you all. I have slowly been making progress with the car. This weekend I attempted to battle all of the gauges in the car to include the Haltech wideband, the Defi boost gauge, and the speedhut oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp gauges. For the three speedhut gauges, I decided to purchase a BMW radio delete panel and cur three 52mm holes. The boost gauge and the wideband, I picked up a gauge pod from a place called rally road productions. Here are a couple pictures. Sorry the Defi is blurry in the picture, it is really bright. Lol.
    I have also been spending a ton of time wiring the whole damn project. Not much to show for it, but sure does take lots of time. Lol. 95 degree temps don't help either.
    Last bit of the puzzle I have yet to solve is the throttle cable.....

My Cars
    Looking
    Ok, I have had another road block. The car is in good hands at Dynosty. These guys do good work. Building 1300hp gtr's like its a simple job. Anyway, the owner/tuner Hal got the baseman modified and the car running. We are in a holding pattern due to another issue from the Raw Brokerage build. I'm not going to go into detail until I figure out how much Raw Brokerage is willing to help to rectify the situation. Keep checking back for updates.
    The exhaust sounds great by the way. Lol.

My Cars
    Looking
    Ok. This is a sad/frustrating update for me. I have to say I normally don't post things like this, but my frustration with Raw Brokerage is pretty high at the moment. Ricky has been great with trying to resolve some issues, but I keep revealing more and more. The story goes something like this......:drama:

I took the car to Hal at Dynosty in Louisville (could speak highly enough about this group) a couple weeks ago to get the initial startup, break in tune and dyno completed. I ended up having to leave the car with them due to some punctuality issues on my end.
    So later that next day I get a call from the guys at Dynosty and they have some good news and some bad news. They tell me that they got the car turned over, idles well, but the valve train was really noisy. They have a guy with some RB experience and guessed it sounded like valve lash clearance issues. They sent me a video and suggested that I have them pull the cam covers and measure out the clearances. Keep in mind this car has only idled and got up to operating temps two times total before this. There was even still assembly lube in the head when they pulled the covers. I mean we are talking still really fresh from Raw Brokerage's build.
    After I give the ok to measure out the clearances, they give me a call and a couple emails with what they found. They advised that every one of the lash measured between .019"-.022". They even sent pictures showing that this error on the build did damage to my camshafts and lifter buckets. Will attach pictures. Nothing that was detrimental by any means, but still frustrating to drop a huge coin on a build to only have these issues.

After finding this, the guys at Dynosty suggested the whole head needed to be removed and gone through again just to make sure everything else was kosher. Not to mention took the opportunity to order a fresh set of Tomei poncams from Japan. This is where we contacted Ricky at Raw Brokerage. Great guy and was more than willing to try and figure out the issue. Raw Brokerage wants the head shipped back to them down in Florida to go over. Understandable, but geez. Now Dynosty has to get paid to remove and reinstall the cylinder head. Not to mention the headgasket and other associated cylinder head gasket would need to be replaced.
    Dynosty officially removed the Cylinder head this morning to prepare for shipment and found a couple more issues. First being the headgasket. This was supposed to be a brand new Tomei gasket. Clearly it was already failing after two short idle periods on the motor. The second issue being small scratches found in cylinder wall number one from the oil control ring. Again nothing that would cause the motor to crash and burn, but still unacceptable when dropping such large coin on a fresh build top to bottom.

Bottom line frustrated and a major set back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast