Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mason Engineering Z3 Clutch Pedal Review

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0i
    I'm in for the GB at 220 as well as a brace.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by fjcp View Post
    How does one get in on the $220 deal? Ok for us canadian types?
    Shipping across the boarder shouldn't be a problem. It'll just translate to an extra shipping charge.

Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    So the only reason that you are recommending the OE bushing is for "direct" fit, versus the light modification the Oilites need?

Nothing to do with operation?
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by IEDAVE View Post
    I am in for the $220 + deal if possible.
    Dave
    Will add you to the list. We could even arrange pickup depending on where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsQuik View Post
    Count me in on the GB too.
    Sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by crashgordan View Post
    i'm in for $220 also... standing by

I know it was discussed by the OP... but i'm simple.
    but so i'm clear: additional parts needed are as follows:
    I.E. oilite bushings (modified) or delrin bushings supplied by UUC or stock, plastic bushings p/n 35 21 1 158 290
    new spring, p/n 35 21 1 158 489
    Two rubber grommets, p/n 35 31 1 113 725

also, any idea how much material needs to come off the IE bushings? i'd like to go that route..
    Yep, those are the parts required. A minimal amount of material needs to be taken off the bushings. It could even be done by hand with fine sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Niswonger View Post
    I'm in for the GB at 220 as well as a brace.
    Noted.

For all of you who have expressed interest: Expect an official GB to open in the following days, at which time a new thread will be posted.
    Last edited by Eurospec; 02-26-2016 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    I'll watch for the group buy. Thank you for putting it togeather!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    If you're going to do a group buy, how about a second option; the Mason pedal assembly with installed oilite bearings. Even better, include the spring and the two grommets; a one-stop installation kit! I'd be up for this.

Marty

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    If you're going to do a group buy, how about a second option; the Mason pedal assembly with installed oilite bearings. Even better, include the spring and the two grommets; a one-stop installation kit! I'd be up for this. Marty
    +1

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Count me in.

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'll watch for the group buy. Thank you for putting it togeather!
    Np.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    If you're going to do a group buy, how about a second option; the Mason pedal assembly with installed oilite bearings. Even better, include the spring and the two grommets; a one-stop installation kit! I'd be up for this.

Marty
    As much as I'd like to provide the option for an all in one kit, I feel that would complicate matters on my end. I do have an additional set of IE bushings that have been modified to fit the pedal. Let me know if you'd like to claim them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
    Count me in.
    Will add you to the list

My Cars
    02 AW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurospec View Post
    Np. As much as I'd like to provide the option for an all in one kit, I feel that would complicate matters on my end. I do have an additional set of IE bushings that have been modified to fit the pedal. Let me know if you'd like to claim them. Will add you to the list
    I'll take the IE bushings if for some reason Marty's a pass.

Dave

My Cars
    Chariot
    Update on bushings:

I came across a set of Garagistic brake/ clutch pedal delrin bushings (blue) I had set aside for my E30 and they fit perfectly. The UUC's required some effort to be pushed in completely whereas the garagistic bushings slide in easily. With a light coating of a PTFE/ teflon based lube, these would work great.

It appears garagistic has changed the color of these bushings to yellow, LINK
    Last edited by Eurospec; 02-28-2016 at 12:30 AM.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Np.

As much as I'd like to provide the option for an all in one kit, I feel that would complicate matters on my end. I do have an additional set of IE bushings that have been modified to fit the pedal. Let me know if you'd like to claim them.

Will add you to the list
    Yes, I'd love to have the modified oilites; add them to my reservation for a pedal! Thanks!

Marty

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    Thanks for setting this up!!!!!! The group buy should be great

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    Any idea when the buy will happen? I'm ready!

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Just for the hell of it I ordered the spring and the two bushings from my local BMW dealer; came out about $16 plus tax, should be here tomorrow.

My Cars
    '99 M Roadster '08 135i
    Count me in on group buy as well.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Also in for the GB.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    98 Roadster
    Are these the I.E. Olite bushing you guys are using?
    https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...Zcltchbsh.html (SKU: BRNZcltchbsh)

Also, since I'll be in there installing this clutch pedal arm, would you guys recommend doing the brake pedal bushings?

He who is enslaved to the compass is free to sail the seas...

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsQuik View Post
    Are these the I.E. Olite bushing you guys are using?
    https://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30...Zcltchbsh.html (SKU: BRNZcltchbsh)

Also, since I'll be in there installing this clutch pedal arm, would you guys recommend doing the brake pedal bushings?

Yep... those are the bushings.

Great opportunity to replace the brake bushings, indeed.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    The Mason pedal comes with the necessary hardware (bolt, locking nut, washers) to mount to the clutch actuator. OEM type bushings are also supplied if you choose to install these instead of supplying your own. Once the new pedal is in place it will need to be secured to the actuator and the metal bracket reinstalled. One of the last steps involves installing a new spring with grommets. ...

Some additional parts are required for the conversion. The clutch pedals in Z3M’s come with a barrel type spring. This spring is eliminated altogether and replaced with a return type spring found on non M’s and some, if not all E36’s? The new spring, p/n 35 21 1 158 489, mounts in a different location towards the top of the pedal. Two rubber grommets, p/n 35 31 1 113 725 will also need to be sourced and installed. This will all become clear once you start disassembling the stock clutch pedal and compare it to the new setup.
    OK, just to clarify: as these are BMW OEM part numbers, and you say that the Z3M stock clutch needs to be replaced and fitted with a "new spring" that's "found on non-Ms"... Does that not mean that I, someone with a base model 2000 Z3 roadster, already have this spring and grommets on my stock clutch?

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    OK, just to clarify: as these are BMW OEM part numbers, and you say that the Z3M stock clutch needs to be replaced and fitted with a "new spring" that's "found on non-Ms"... Does that not mean that I, someone with a base model 2000 Z3 roadster, already have this spring and grommets on my stock clutch?
    Yes, BMW part numbers. Chances are you have the correct spring. Removal of the kickpanel and a quick peak will indicate otherwise.

Sorry about the confusion. The review/ how to was based off the conversion in my M Coupe.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Yes, BMW part numbers. Chances are you have the correct spring. Removal of the kickpanel and a quick peak will indicate otherwise.

Sorry about the confusion. The review/ how to was based off the conversion in my M Coupe.
    Great, that's how I read it too, and looking up my car at oemparts indicated those parts were my stock ones... Just wanted to avoid trouble with assumptions and all

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... I had the oilite bushings in my hand and tried to install them. The outside diameter is just a tad too large and required some sanding...
    My bronze bushings fit easily in the Mason pedal that I just received in the second group buy. I assume they are oilite (sintered oil-impregnated bronze). Got them from Bimmerbum.com a few years ago.
    http://shop.bimmerbum.com/products/5...al-bushing-set
    https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...or-bmw-bronze/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilite
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-27-2016 at 07:38 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Chariot
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    My bronze bushings fit easily in the Mason pedal that I just received in the second group buy. I assume they are oilite (sintered oil-ompregnated bronze). Got them from Bimmerbum.com a few years ago.
    http://shop.bimmerbum.com/products/5...al-bushing-set
    https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...or-bmw-bronze/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilite
    Excellent finding. Simplifies matter greatly.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    I installed my pedal yesterday and was able to swap the Ireland Oilite bushings from my stock pedal into the Mason fairly easily; the bushing bore in the Mason pedal needed some mild cleanup (mostly powder coating residue) with a sandpaper roll for a good press fit....
    My bronze bushings fit so easily that they fall out. I plan to use bearing grease inside and outside. Oilite sintered bronze is dry metal, even though it is impregnated with 30W motor oil that you can't feel. And bearing grease seems more compatible with that oil than the white lithium grease that is used with the plastic bushings.
    Did you remove the seat to replace the pedal? I removed the seat and started into the bushing replacement two years ago, but gave up because I had trouble fitting and seeing upward under the dash. 200 lbs, 6'-2", old age and trifocals. Will try again now.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    ///M Roadster

Mason Engineering Z3 Clutch Pedal Review

Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    Although I went with the recommended 35211158489 return spring, I also made sure that I could install the OEM M-style over-center return spring just in case I wasn't happy with the spring change; the pin bore in the Mason pedal for the over-center spring assembly needed to be opened up slightly (not just power coat) for the pin to fit.
    This is great news. One of my hesitations in switching to the Mason pedal was the use of the Z3 return spring. I've had that before on my M and it was too firm for daily driving. It was such a nuisance that I switched back. Good to know that it is possible to use the over-spring setup with the GSP pedal.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    2000 z3m coupe
    Pedal installed - greatest thing to happen to everyday motion in this car. Absolutely love it. Thank you for hosting the group buy!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast