Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E36 M60, 6 speed swap.

My Cars
    98 323
    why use a floating tap holder to mill something?
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    If Alpina could let this conversion fit,, then it fits,, simple as that

and i am not a fan of these adapters when using other transmissions on V12 and V8 engines,,, it have been done and it works ,, but removing everything back from the engine ((clutch etc etc)) is not for me
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    More updates:

Ive finally got the M60 sump milled down as much as i need.
    IMG_8349.jpg
    IMG_8442.jpg
    Its all pretty straight forward, but at the same time, will probably make much more sense when its welded up. As far as welding goes, I'm still unsure how I'm going to tackle it. Obviously it will be TIG welded, however I have yet to decide on filler rod or layout of the individual bits i'll be welding. For now it looks like i'll be using 4mm plate, as this is the closest match to what is there.

The only other update i have is I've started mocking up the exhaust headers. I bought myself a 1 5/8" header modelling kit from ICEngineworks.
    http://www.icengineworks.com
    I have to say, this kit is amazingly helpful. I wish it gave me a bit more freedom, but eh. Is saving me allot of time and money. Hard to get decent pictures of the exhaust. But here is one.
    IMG_8441.jpg
    cylinders 1,2 and 3 have been pretty easy. cylinder 4 is being a PITA cuz of the steering shaft. The shaft is simply too thick (i know, thats what she said) Im gonna experiment with some E46 steering shafts, otherwise i'll look into the flaming river steering shaft, or something else. Will keep posted with the solution. For what its worth, moving the engine forward about an inch or 2 would avoid this problem completely.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    That kit is really cool, I'm going to have to do something like that when I build headers for my M3.

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    why use a floating tap holder to mill something?
    Its an ER32 collet chuck. Can be used to hold any round milling tool. Personally I'm not a huge fan, but if i were to be changing tools often, it would make it a whole lot quicker.

and i am not a fan of these adapters when using other transmissions on V12 and V8 engines,,, it have been done and it works ,, but removing everything back from the engine ((clutch etc etc)) is not for me
    Im not a huge fan of the adaptor plate, and flywheel either tbh, But the reality is, that and a 6 cylinder gearbox were about half the price of what a V8 manual, and associated clutch components would be. Also it means I can get the gearbox in a factory location. This wouldn't work without the adaptor plate (not that i knew that when I bought it.

That kit is really cool, I'm going to have to do something like that when I build headers for my M3.
    Its a really cool kit, but like i said, not quite as much flexibility as id ideally like, and a fair bit of coin. I spent allot of time tossing up over whether to buy it, and it was purely cuz of an LS swap I'm working on, that I decided to bite the bullet. For something like an M3 where there are aftermarket vendors supplying headers, id honestly suggest buying those. Getting a set of headers built right, that actually make power over what is commercially available is gonna be tricky, and require allot of time, money and understanding. But thats just my 2c.

My Cars
    98 323
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtisja View Post
    Its an ER32 collet chuck
    95% sure that's a floating tap holder. Can you grab the collet end and force it up and down by hand with a tool in it?
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtisja View Post
    For something like an M3 where there are aftermarket vendors supplying headers, id honestly suggest buying those. Getting a set of headers built right, that actually make power over what is commercially available is gonna be tricky, and require allot of time, money and understanding. But thats just my 2c.
    There's nothing available for my car

It'd be really nice if a group of people could buy a set like this together and share it. $1500 is a lot of scrapped tubing. The tack-weld clamps and bandsaw plate could easily be put together from scrap in my garage in a few minutes, but the individual pipe pieces would be very useful.

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    95% sure that's a floating tap holder. Can you grab the collet end and force it up and down by hand with a tool in it?
    I do apologise, it is a floating tap holder. This is the first mill I've ever owned, and the guy I bought it off told me it was just a standard tool holder. At least that might explain why i couldn't get it to stop chattering.

It'd be really nice if a group of people could buy a set like this together and share it. $1500 is a lot of scrapped tubing. The tack-weld clamps and bandsaw plate could easily be put together from scrap in my garage in a few minutes, but the individual pipe pieces would be very useful.
    Yes I Agree. I plan on making the bandsaw plates myself. The tack welding clamps I just bought as they were fairly cheap (at least compared to the rest).
    I only bought the piping kit as i hope to get a fair bit of use out of it. This project, an LS E36 build I'm working on, and stepped S54 headers for when i ultimately build my dream race car - to name a few. But yeah, definitely an expensive bit of kit for one off use.

Anyway - more work more work! unfortunately progress is a bit slow atm. The temp has been sitting solidly at around 35°C+, and I'm building an exhaust for my daily, as I'm selling the M3 exhaust off it.

Anyway, picked up a spare front subframe and welded in the front subframe reinforcements today. I cut the reinforcements myself from 3mm steel.
    IMG_8538.jpg
    IMG_8539.jpg
    IMG_8540.jpg

The last time I did this I MIG welded the reinforcements in, and have had nothing but success. I decided I would try and TIG weld them in this time, just as a change. Honestly I don't think it made much of a difference, just whatever your preference is, and where your skill set lies.

Also a few days ago I picked up a set of Vader seats.
    15841890_1622348564741590_914718298_n.jpg
    Not in the best condition, but I plan on redoing them fully. Will be posting a full thread about it when I start.

My Cars
    e46
    Awesome build.

I'll be watching this one closely as I have a m62b44 to go in my e46 wagon.

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    Hey Guys. For those still watching, i haven't given up on this build! its just been put on the back burner for a bit. Ive been doing some major upgrade work to my track car, in the hope of getting it ready for some more competitive racing in the future.

Ive also been thinking about the M60 swap - I'm thinking I'm going to persist with an ITB kit. Ive knocked one out for my M52, and I'm pretty happy with the results. So the M60 will be the next victim.

Check out the ITB build - its for an M52, but could be applied to any engine.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-M5X-ITB-build
    Yes I can buy it. But I can probably build it cheaper. And better.

​-E36 calypsorot track rat.
    -KW Coilers
    -ZF 5 speed with M5 puck clutch
    -M52B28 w Euro S50 Headers, Euro S50 ITB's, S52 cams, EMU standalone.
    -3 clutch LSD
    -330i brakes front and rear

-E36 Violetrot V8 daily (still being built)
    -M60B40 V8
    -G420 6 speed
    -Brembo fronts/porsche rear brakes
    -BC coilers
    -3 clutch LSD
    -Vaders.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Subscribed ! Had no idea there was so much work involved with oil pump / sump when fitting an m6x into e36.

I just recently got one of these running in my e30 and it's using 100% stock pump and pan. And I have a spare fully rebuilt m6x and was starting to think about putting it into e36 or e46 Chassis but this sump / pan stuff isn't looking like much fun .

My Cars
    318 baur 1990, 1990 735i se
    I have an E36 318ti that I want to squeeze an m60b40 into.
    Managed to get a 5 speed V8 gbox only to find that the m60b40 manual fly and clutch won't work (spline size on gbox)
    Have been buying bits and bobs (n62 sump and pump) in readiness, but I'm thinking I might just throw on an E30 front subframe to get around these sump+pump issues

- - - Updated - - -

Great build keep it up

My Cars
    E36 2LTR RACE CAR e36 3l
    Hi,
    I'm about to embark on the same journey, although keen to use a sump kit out of Europe (im in NZ), only issue i can see is the position of the engine, and if it can be mounted as aft as possible.
    Would be very interested in your update.

Great read so far.
    Cheers

My Cars
    87 E28 M5, 95 318ti
    Total zombie bring back from the dead, but you got any updates? Some nice shit going on in this thread <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12