Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Meet Lorelei (1989 325i)

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    So! It's been a couple of months since I've had the time to update this thing, and for good reason too. At the last update, we had just discovered that the over-tightened timing belt caused plenty of damage that I needed to fix. The motor blew up just a mere two weeks before we closed on our new house, so we didn't have time to fix the car right away; bigger fish to fry in the coming months.

(Caution: non-car related update to follow, which will lead to a car update, I promise)

We closed on our house on 6/29, and I feel we did pretty good for our first house. Single story, 1500 sqft, 1/2 acre, in-ground heated pool/spa, 3bed/2 bath, 2 car detached garage. The interior was a bit dated, so we decided to remodel a few (re-read this: a bunch) of things before we moved in. ..... I guess I'm a glutten for modding punishment.

There was huge fiasco with ending the lease at our rental house, and it forced us to move all our stuff 3 weeks ahead of schedule into the hosting garage while we worked on the inside. It was a hassle at the time, and a huge headache, but now that everything is done, it's all worth it. The inside of the house has turned out awesome so far; I love it.

When we first bought the house, the walls were a very mildly tinted baby blue ish color, with sparkly popcorn ceilings everywhere, a drop ceiling in the kitchen, and zero lighting in the living room. The house needed some help, and we were about to just tear into it.

Here's some before shots of closing day before we touched anything.

First step: remove the popcorn ceilings and retexture them. WHAT. A. MESS. I never want to touch ceilings ever again haha. We also removed some beam caps in the entry hallway and master bedroom.

I mentioned that there was zero lighting in the living room, to include no switched outlet either. So, we had to add lighting in that room. Not only did we add lighting there, we replaced the chandelier in the kitchen area and added more lighting in the kitchen, front entry way, hallway, and the master bedroom. A total of 26 recessed can lights went in. We also added a 3-way switch for the living room lights. I feel sorry for my boyfriend, who is the poor soul who had to climb into our crappy, over-insulated (yes, that's a thing..) cramped attic in the middle of summer to run the wiring for all these lights... Turned out great though.

We also removed the drop ceiling in the kitchen, removed one section of cabinets, and added 2 pendant lights there.

And then we painted. Everything. Ceilings, every wall everywhere. The finishing touches were the replaced lights in the bedrooms and closets, and then we swapped out every outlet and switch in the house.

While we were stringing up wiring for the lights and whatnot, we decided to run network cables to a few spots in the living room and the master bedroom. We also ran the wiring for our 5-piece surround sound system. Our entertainment cabinet is PACKED, but very well cable managed (my OCD thing..).

Needless to say, it's been a busy couple of months. With the house remodeling finally complete, we were able to move everything in, get settled, and move toys into the garage. Car update to follow in next post.

- - - Updated - - -

As promised, all that house-y update crap really has lead to a car update.

After we got the house done and the garage cleaned out, we were finally able to move the toys into the garage.

It feels great having the e30 & supra in the garage. There's so much room in there to work! Such a great asset to have with the house.

Time to get back to wrenching on the e30. Remember a few posts back about the head I had sent to the shop and abandoned due to it being too spendy to pick up at the time? Well, time for that sucker to re-enter the picture. After the belt fiasco, I needed a known good head to swap onto the car to make sure everything was ok. So, I worked it out with a good friend to help get that thing paid for, reassembled everything, and got it all mounted back on the car.

One thing we figured out: even though we didn't hear anything at the time, and even scoped the motor to check the pistons, don't assume everything is fine. When we took the suspect head off, we discovered 4 bent valves. Well crap (for that head). At least I had this one refreshed and ready to go. Decked, hot tanked clean, new valve stem seals, new valve guides. I wish I could have had it ported, polished, and done over-sized valves. But, well you saw the house post.... No funds for that right now.

The head swap took a weekend, and good lord does it feel great to be back behind the wheel of the car. Now, I just have to sort out some cluster wiring issues (yay, more friggen wiring gremlins in this damn car....), get the OBC to actually display data again (worked in the orange e30, not working here. I'm stumped), and then get all the sap off my car from when she sat under a tree outside the garage while we worked on the house.
    Current daily: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria)
    Gone, but never forgotten: 1989 BMW 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
    1991 318is 5sp (Michaela, totaled)
    2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: car_gal_jenni

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Nice to get that update. We have about the same red in our kitchen. The house is nice, but the garage is wonderful!
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    Nice to get that update. We have about the same red in our kitchen. The house is nice, but the garage is wonderful!
    The garage is what sealed the deal on the house. It's great out there. Needs some work too, but it's a great start.

My Cars
    F10 6spd 3 E305speed
    Jenni90, I am very impressed with your job on the car. A couple of months ago, I was thinking about installing a stainless racing manifold header on my son's 1986 325es. I was open for advice from the forum. Most owners told me not to do it, since the original header is better. My personal question for you is, since you installed one on your car, do you like it? And are there any changes or improvements with the horsepower?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by franan View Post
    Jenni90, I am very impressed with your job on the car. A couple of months ago, I was thinking about installing a stainless racing manifold header on my son's 1986 325es. I was open for advice from the forum. Most owners told me not to do it, since the original header is better. My personal question for you is, since you installed one on your car, do you like it? And are there any changes or improvements with the horsepower?
    If you have an ebay brand header, STRONGLY recommend using a Remflex gasket. My header fit like absolute crap when I first tried to mount it, and it had exhaust leaks EVERYWHERE. Remflex gasket sealed up everything quite nicely. They're like $35 +shipping, and so worth it. As for performance gains or feel, it's hard for me to really say. I've yet to really have the chance to drive the damn thing haha. With most mods like exhaust and intake, to get the full benefits of the bolt-ons, you'd need to have the car tuned properly. I don't have the means to do so with mine yet, but I will eventually. It does have a lovely sound to it though, so that's always fun.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Yeah, things have been a little slow lately... Sorry about that.

I was laid off back in August, and was fighting the unemployment office for the longest time. I just started a new job a month ago, so I've been playing catch-up on bills and whatnot. Things financially should be settling down within the next couple of weeks, so hopefully I can get back into it.

On the plus side:

I do have her tucked away in the garage, dash all torn apart. We're working on sorting through why the OBC lights up but doesn't display any data (it all worked perfectly in my 318is, so not sure why it's not working here), sort out the cluster (maybe we can figure out why my tach doesn't work; honestly, I think it's the diff speed sensor/connector/wires), and get the courtesy lights to actually function.

Oh, and Santa was very nice to me this year.

Trust me, they need a LOT of work. All lips and barrels need to be replaced, and the faces need to be refinished. But! I couldn't pass them up, not for the cost I got them at. All credit to getting these goes to a friend named Frank. Not sure if he's here on r3v or not. I cannot wait till things money-wise settle down and I can give these things the treatment they so desperately deserve. I've gotta save these!!

Hopefully the start to the new year bodes for a better rest of the year: my boyfriend proposed at the stroke of midnight as we watched the fireworks display from the Space Needle last week. Took me by complete surprise, and I'm excited to start the next chapter of our lives together.
    Last edited by jenni90; 01-11-2017 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    Daily 94 E36 and 92 E30
    Oddly enough my parents had the same cabinets in their kitchen when they moved in. They are now housing car parts in the garage Just read through this thread and congrats on the car, progress and house. I followed you on the IG hoping to see pic updates or more bmws. I'll join the e30 family very shortly.

2008 135i FBO Pure600 Turbos

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by DBShiznit View Post
    Oddly enough my parents had the same cabinets in their kitchen when they moved in. They are now housing car parts in the garage Just read through this thread and congrats on the car, progress and house. I followed you on the IG hoping to see pic updates or more bmws. I'll join the e30 family very shortly.
    They're decent cabinets. We plan on refinishing the doors eventually so that the kitchen doesn't look quite so dated.. Y'know, when we have money.. There's a LONG list of things that need our attention. To include rebuilding the exterior fence around the entire back yard so we can tear down the one surrounding just the pool and to allow us to see the grass in the back, replacing the garage doors so they both open reliably (the one for the Supra doesn't open anymore.. sigh), new carpets, new hard floors, new windows, new doors..... The "mod" list for the house is bigger than the car! haha. FMW (eff my wallet)...

My Cars
    Daily 94 E36 and 92 E30
    I wonder if there is build threads for houses like we have for cars lol

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    I wonder if there is build threads for houses like we have for cars lol
    No idea if they do full houses or whatnot, but I know there's forum sites that specifically follow garage builds and home theater builds

http://www.garagejournal.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/

Lots of time suck threads to read in those places haha.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni90 View Post
    Hopefully the start to the new year bodes for a better rest of the year: my boyfriend proposed at the stroke of midnight as we watched the fireworks display from the Space Needle last week. Took me by complete surprise, and I'm excited to start the next chapter of our lives together.
    Congratulations! Doesn't sound like things are going slow to me.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    Congratulations! Doesn't sound like things are going slow to me.
    Thank you! This first month of the year will be spent playing catch-up on bills, but once we're in a better spot, it is totally game on for the e30. I think the first spend, aside from getting the wheels where I want them to be rebuilt at, will be to have the whole cluster rebuilt by e30_dad/Diego. I want that to not be a concern of mine going forward.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    So today was semi-successful. Keep in mind, it's like 20* outside, and our garage doesn't seal very well so it's still pretty darn cold even in the garage. We didn't feel like tackling anything electrical today, so my fiance did some reorganizing of his toolbox while I tackled some of the sap problem.

I found this tiny plastic "non-marring" type of tool and decided I would give it a go. Well, this little mystery tool has been a huge success. This was not the first go-round with the sap on this car. I used a razorblade to get it all off the windows a couple months back, and that worked great, obviously. Then I tried some goof-off and similar products to get all the gooey sap off, which worked, kind of. When the goof-off stuffs quit working, we went to laquer thinner, which barely did anything.. About a month went by with me stumped on what to try to get this crap off of my car. And then today happened. And needless to say, I am quite pleased with the results.

Before (after goof-off and laquer thinner):

After (using the non-marring tool):

I still have a lot to do, but... It's REALLY cold out there, and I ran out of microfiber towels.
    I used the non-marring tool with some windex, and the sap just chipped right off. Once everything is cleaned off, she'll just need a cut/buff and she'll be good as new!! About time..

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Looks great! What type of tree did that anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by KSEADUB View Post
    Looks great! What type of tree did that anyway?

When we bought the house, my car didn't run. We had to tow it and my fiance's other car up to the house. There's a gravel patch at the end of our driveway in the corner of the property that butts up against the other neighbor's property. I had my car pushed a bit further back closer to the fence, and the neighbor's pine tree dribbled sap all over everything. By the time I noticed, it was already too late. And of course, the day I got the car pushed in the garage was the day that same neighbor decided to cut the branches down...... -.-

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Try a product called De-Solv-It.
    http://www.de-solv-it.com/
    http://www.de-solv-it.com/remove-res...range-cleaner/

It's citrus based so it's very gentle and does a fantastic job with adhesives. I use it for all sorts of things I used to use Goof-Off for.
    Good luck.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    Daily 94 E36 and 92 E30
    The E30 I'm buying is sitting in a garage filthy with dust.. I can't wait for the day I can get it home and start cleaning it up and bring out the shine in it.. I feel like its so rewarding specially after all the hard work it takes to really get results.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    The E30 I'm buying is sitting in a garage filthy with dust.. I can't wait for the day I can get it home and start cleaning it up and bring out the shine in it.. I feel like its so rewarding specially after all the hard work it takes to really get results.
    Oh man, it is VERY rewarding. I love the process of cleaning up a car and watching it come back to life. Even though I'll have some paint correction to do on my car once all the sap is off, it still feels great to at least get it off and feel smooth(ish) paint again! So rewarding.

My Cars
    2004 X3 88 M3 83 323i
    Love those Japan Hartges! By chance you have the cruise control setup still?

1983 S50 swapped 323
    1988 M3
    1997 z3 1.9
    2004 X3 2.5

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    thanks for keeping up this awesome thread and pictorial tour of the projects! really helpful as a bimmer newb.

Lots of Douglas Firs here around Puget Sound ran their sap like crazy during the heat wave. It's usually flowing most on warm nights so unless you're actually out there in the dark you'll never see it coming down. This cold snap's silver lining might just be how easy it's made chipping it off - but until you buff and wax, water might bead a little different on the former sap dots. This spring watch out for the pollen, and wash it off frequently. When you see green on the car, it's usually a fungus the sweet pollen attracts, and it can hurt the car's finish too.

I saw stabilizer bar on a couple tower shots - are those just to help with sport/race driving, or would you suggest as a matter of course for 30yo E30's?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
    I saw stabilizer bar on a couple tower shots - are those just to help with sport/race driving, or would you suggest as a matter of course for 30yo E30's?
    They're really only helpful to stiffen the suspension + chassis for sports driving. The e30 doesn't really have the warping strut tower issues that cars like the e36 do.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Court M3 View Post
    Love those Japan Hartges! By chance you have the cruise control setup still?
    Thanks! I can't wait to get them all cleaned up and rebuilt, but that'll have to wait, as I have other things I need to focus on for the time being.

I chose to delete my cruise control, but that was mainly because I never use it. I'm sure it worked fine, but it'll never get used on my car, so I pulled all the components out when I had the motor out.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
    thanks for keeping up this awesome thread and pictorial tour of the projects! really helpful as a bimmer newb.

Lots of Douglas Firs here around Puget Sound ran their sap like crazy during the heat wave. It's usually flowing most on warm nights so unless you're actually out there in the dark you'll never see it coming down. This cold snap's silver lining might just be how easy it's made chipping it off - but until you buff and wax, water might bead a little different on the former sap dots. This spring watch out for the pollen, and wash it off frequently. When you see green on the car, it's usually a fungus the sweet pollen attracts, and it can hurt the car's finish too.

She's all parked in the garage now, so once I get all the sap off, and she gets a good cut/buff/wax, in the garage she'll stay. And then she'll get regular washes anyways, cuz I'm usually pretty darn particular about keeping my cars clean.

With this car, I haven't put a front strut bar on yet, as the one I have needs to get sandblasted and powdercoated, same with my matching rear one. Once they're coated and installed, it'll help with chassis stability, as hotdish says. I don't really track my car, but I do love to go carving up the mountains, so having great response and feel is super important to me.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is
    So yesterday was a pretty big decision day. I made a pretty hard decision, and Lorelei went to a new home. With everything that still needed my attention, and with a new job that will soon require a bit more commute time, I made the call that the e30 wasn't cut out to be the daily commuter, and I was frustrated enough to not want to make any further spends for the car. I already have a new daily, and I'm just smitten with her.

I'd like to introduce Maria, a 2017 VW Golf R. She had a whopping 6 miles on her before I took delivery yesterday afternoon at 1pm.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni90 View Post
    So yesterday was a pretty big decision day. I made a pretty hard decision, and Lorelei went to a new home. With everything that still needed my attention, and with a new job that will soon require a bit more commute time, I made the call that the e30 wasn't cut out to be the daily commuter, and I was frustrated enough to not want to make any further spends for the car. I already have a new daily, and I'm just smitten with her.

I'd like to introduce Maria, a 2017 VW Golf R. She had a whopping 6 miles on her before I took delivery yesterday afternoon at 1pm.

Wow. Sad to see you part ways, but that's a nice looking R! I've got a 2004, and they are all very special cars. Whats the name of that color? I don't think i've seen it before.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234