Thread: How do you unscrew the fuel pump flange?

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters

How do you unscrew the fuel pump flange?

Hi

Have a new ceramic resistor card to go into the gas tank level sender. Had a go at removing the fuel pump/level sender unit today, Got stumped at unscrewing the big black ring/flange that holds the unit in the tank. Bentley talks about a special tool. What have you creative people used as alternatives?

Cheers

Muzz
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    You can do this method...
    https://youtu.be/vhVXXjrqV1Q?t=2m17s

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    You can do this method...
    https://youtu.be/vhVXXjrqV1Q?t=2m17s
    +1. That works perfect!
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    01 M Roadster
    Of note - you pretty much have to seat the rubber gasket on the fuel tank then carefully push in the fuel pump. I had a much easier time using a new gasket than when I reused an original. Also avoid having a full tank of gas otherwise it will slosh out. Ask me how I know.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    I tried beating it on the tabs with a drift and was damaging it more than moving it so stopped.

I have a new gasket on hand.

Yes the unit is very low in the tank, Took the car for a drive with the red light on and took it right down to the Empty line while sneaking home on fumes. attempted do do the job. Put the car back together again and gassed it up ready for the weekend. It only took 3/4 of a tank to fill it. Not sue if 1/4 of a tank left in it would be low enough, so in some ways happy to have to go back and have another go. Next time I'll run the car right out of gas going around and around the block, put 4 liters in and know that the fuel level is low enough.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Try this...
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nger-Available

You can also find them on eBay...
    Last edited by nevan; 02-17-2016 at 02:23 AM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Thank you for the tip on the tool.

I have just ordered one with free international shipping from Hong Kong
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    I tried beating it on the tabs with a drift and was damaging it more than moving it so stopped.

I have a new gasket on hand.

Yes the unit is very low in the tank, Took the car for a drive with the red light on and took it right down to the Empty line while sneaking home on fumes. attempted do do the job. Put the car back together again and gassed it up ready for the weekend. It only took 3/4 of a tank to fill it. Not sue if 1/4 of a tank left in it would be low enough, so in some ways happy to have to go back and have another go. Next time I'll run the car right out of gas going around and around the block, put 4 liters in and know that the fuel level is low enough.
    If you get the gauge down to 1/8th full, the fuel level will be low enough to remove the pump assembly. Then you still have enough fuel to make a trip to the filling station without any unnecessary drama.

I've been in there at least a dozen (>12) times, and at first I was overly cautious too__I mean, it's not like I'm smoking while doing the job (I don't smoke!)...

The first time, I made my own tool to remove the collar. I wasn't too worried about removing it, but without a proper tool, how would you torque it back to spec when putting it on?

One of the dealer mechanicians gave me the BMW tool when they received a replacement.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Thanks Randy

I have a tool on order now.

The fuel gauge is the reason I'm taking the pump unit out. The gauge jumps around from empty to 1/2 full whenever it's below 1/2 full. Have a new resistor card to fit into the gauge sender unit.

My local gas station is about a 1 km away, so running the car out of fuel and putting 4 liters will not cause too much drama.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    I knew someone had the proper tool. Should have guess it was Randy.. as that would have been a safe guess lol

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Thanks Randy

I have a tool on order now.

The fuel gauge is the reason I'm taking the pump unit out. The gauge jumps around from empty to 1/2 full whenever it's below 1/2 full. Have a new resistor card to fit into the gauge sender unit.

My local gas station is about a 1 km away, so running the car out of fuel and putting 4 liters will not cause too much drama.
    The fluctuating/intermittent fuel gauge was a big issue when the cars were new, and I almost never hear about it nowadays. The recommended cure, working in all but the most extreme cases, was to run a couple bottles of Chevron's Techron through the system (in a couple back to back fillups) and periodically thereafter. Though intended for cleaning fuel injectors, it did help thwart warranty replacement of the whole fuel pump assembly when just the level sensor was malfunctioning.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    In the last year I've run 4 bottles of injector cleaner through the car in an attempt to clean the sender unit. That and using the trip meter as a sudo fuel gauge and running the sender unit through as much of its range a possible. This has provided some improvement. Still having problems, so time for a new resistance card. Got the resistance card off E-Bay, out of the Netherlands for US$25. If it all works out, its a lot cheaper than a whole new pump unit.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Aww darn! Well then, I hope the card swap goes painlessly for you

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The fluctuating/intermittent fuel gauge was a big issue when the cars were new, and I almost never hear about it nowadays. The recommended cure, working in all but the most extreme cases, was to run a couple bottles of Chevron's Techron through the system (in a couple back to back fillups) and periodically thereafter. Though intended for cleaning fuel injectors, it did help thwart warranty replacement of the whole fuel pump assembly when just the level sensor was malfunctioning.
    You know, I had this happen right after the last fill-up. It was kinda fun to watch the needle swing back and forth, but a little worrisome too.

It had been raining like heck for the previous week, and the fill-up in question was in a hard rain. Things dried out a couple days later and it seems fine since. But I'll watch for this happening again.

I've always seen fuel gauges as somewhat of a luxury as all my German (aircooled) stuff (2 and 4 wheel) these days don't have them, but do have reserve taps.
    Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would motor about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.

My Cars
    00 Z3 Cpe, 02 MCS, 99 Miata,77 Fiat Spider plus...
    In the last year I've run 4 bottles of injector cleaner through the car in an attempt to clean the sender unit. That and using the trip meter as a sudo fuel gauge and running the sender unit through as much of its range a possible. This has provided some improvement. Still having problems, so time for a new resistance card. Got the resistance card off E-Bay, out of the Netherlands for US$25. If it all works out, its a lot cheaper than a whole new pump unit.
    Did the card fix the problem?

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Been working on the 2.0L Z3 over the last few months and have not got around to fitting the card yet in the 3.0L Z3.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

My Cars
    Forgot to update... my card was broken, the new card fixed the problem. Also found a tool for R&Ring the ring pretty cheap.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Univers...oAAOSww6Veu0ee

New Universal Fuel Tank Lid Sender Unit Removal Assembly Tool Fuel Pump For Benz

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I had a wonky gauge in my M. Ran a bottle of Techron and it's back to normal...saved me a card and a tool, for now. Perhaps a cleaning is worth a shot first, for anyone that's not certain if anything is broken.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42