Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt's E46 LS3/CD009 Build

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure every gm ecu needs to be "unlocked" from the vin in order to run in another car. I think you can do that with hptuners or send it to one of the many many many other companies. I'm pretty sure the guy at lt1swap.com does it for like $75.

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Yes, I have an update. Had a few issues that I fixed and it runs great! Found a leak in the slave cylinder which set me back a bit. Had to pull the engine again to fix the leak.

I had the 4011 PCM reflashed from east coast supercharging with a stock LS3 map. Tried to start it after that, and nothing. Turns out that my coilpack harnesses were backwards lol. So after I fixed that, it fired right up but wouldn't stay running. After some more research I found out that the ls3 MAP sensor doesn't work with the ls1 PCM at all. Ordered a ls1 MAP sensor and now it runs like a champ.

Now I just need to bleed the fluids, install some gauges, loom the wiring harness and then it's ready to go to my friends shop for the exhaust - this weekend.

Video of the first start:

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Hell. Yes. Glad you got it running smooth!

Internal slaves scare the hell out of me.

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    So I can't seem to get the this thing to accept some throttle. Every time I hit the throttle, the car dies then the RPMs shoot up once I let off the gas. The RPMs still increase after I let off, so do you think that would imply fuel pressure is okay? I'll rent a tester next weekend just to make sure. My thought is that it's getting too much gas and just needs a legit tune. Just changed out the TPS sensor too. Thoughts?

Also, I installed another shifter for the CD009. The one that I had originally shifted like shit. Took some time to get it sitting right, but turned out much better than the previous one. Here's the shifter - https://serialnine.com/products/univ...ter-relocation

Attempted to loom the painless harness as well. Came out okay. Still wish I waited and went with the wiring specialties ls1 harness. Oh well.

Last edited by MDRracing13; 09-25-2016 at 07:55 PM.

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    That sounds a lot like a vacuum leak to me. Do you have access to a smoke tester? As far as fuel pressure goes, which FPR did you use? I would imagine it would take a ton of pressure to be able to hold an injector open.

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    That sounds a lot like a vacuum leak to me. Do you have access to a smoke tester? As far as fuel pressure goes, which FPR did you use? I would imagine it would take a ton of pressure to be able to hold an injector open.
    I fixed all of the known vacuum leaks, but I'll see if I can find some more. I'm using a ls1 corvette fuel filter/FPR.

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Hmm, thats the same one I am using. Is yours a OEM GM or an aftermarket? I had an aftermarket (from Summit) and it was causing the pressure to be way high (70psi @ idle), my tuner caught it and said they can only use the GM ones because none of the aftermarkets work right. I tried a WIX for fun at it ran at 65psi. Finally an OEM ACDelco fixed the problem. Even at 70psi it ran fine, was just running a tad rich at an idle.

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Hmm, thats the same one I am using. Is yours a OEM GM or an aftermarket? I had an aftermarket (from Summit) and it was causing the pressure to be way high (70psi @ idle), my tuner caught it and said they can only use the GM ones because none of the aftermarkets work right. I tried a WIX for fun at it ran at 65psi. Finally an OEM ACDelco fixed the problem. Even at 70psi it ran fine, was just running a tad rich at an idle.
    I have an aftermarket one that I think is rated at 58 psi. It immediately cuts out, even when I slightly tap the gas. It feels like an electrical (tps) problem, but I replaced the tps and it still does the same thing. I need to properly test everything this weekend.

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    hmmmm... I wonder if its possible you have a DBW ECU? I would imagine that would throw a CEL though. Speaking of, have you pulled codes?

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    hmmmm... I wonder if its possible you have a DBW ECU? I would imagine that would throw a CEL though. Speaking of, have you pulled codes?
    I'm not sure, I'll check this weekend.

BTW I don't have o2 sensors or the IAT installed yet, think that would cause this much of an issue?

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    <_<

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRracing13 View Post
    I'm not sure, I'll check this weekend.

BTW I don't have o2 sensors or the IAT installed yet, think that would cause this much of an issue?
    With IAT unplugged the ecu reads -40 degrees. It will certainly affect fueling and other enrichments.

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmfwd View Post
    With IAT unplugged the ecu reads -40 degrees. It will certainly affect fueling and other enrichments.
    It's plugged in, just sitting to the side. I still need to drill a hole in my intake coupler

- - - Updated - - -

Missed the beginning of this post. I just called east coast supercharging and they accidentally loaded the DBW feature on the ecu! Dropping it off tonight to get it fixed.

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I ran mine a few times with no O2s, it fouled all the plugs on a cold start in 20 degree weather but other then that it was OK.

Holy S***, that was a random guess haha. Hopefully that takes care of it!

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    The new re-flash did the trick. Runs perfectly. Now I need to get this thing to my friends shop for an exhaust then back to east coast supercharging for a dyno tune

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Exhaust is finished. Sounds awesome

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Hell yea sounds sick. What did you do for parts/mufflers?

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
    Ls2 e36 sedan

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    Hell yea sounds sick. What did you do for parts/mufflers?

Crappy CXracing headers and their y-pipe to a 3 inch straight pipe

2001 LS3 330ci

My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    How'd you get the ypipe to fit? Beat the hell out of it?

Ls2 e36 sedan

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxchrisfla View Post
    How'd you get the ypipe to fit? Beat the hell out of it?

The y-pipe didn't fit at all. We had to add a few inches to one side to make it work.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I had to dent mine to clear the trans in one spot, CXracing sucks. Wish I had the time to wait for the Vorshlag exhaust.

My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Yea I just recently cut the y off mine and going to add an xpipe behind the trans. Even after cutting off the y and having two separate pipes, it still doesn't fit on the drivers side. Complained to them last year about it after I saw others having issues and they said theres nothing wrong with them.

Ls2 e36 sedan

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    that is my exact plan for the exhaust....at least for the first year. lol. we'll see how unreasonably loud it is in person.

and i've seen too many people complain about the fit of the CXR Y-pipe. mine is in my passenger seat waiting for me to get further along. i'll have the torch, jack, pretzels, and curse words on deck for that day.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E46 M3 & 330ci
    Got it dyno tuned at East Coast Supercharging this weekend. Ended up making 473whp and 457lb-ft. Not too bad for just a mild cam. Ripped it down my street for the first time and this thing is a beast. Crazy loud and breaks loose in 3rd gear with a tap of the pedal. Here's the dyno video:

Also installed my new gtr-style hood and pins. Horrible quality, but it's not that bad for a cheap hood.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attempted to wire the brake lights this weekend as well. Almost there but I just can't figure out which wires to use from the brake switch. I have two wires coming from the relay, and four wires on the brake switch. I'm able to get the lights to function (via 3 out of 4 wires from switch), but they constantly stay on and the brake switch does nothing. Doesn't turn off when it's pressed. Not sure where to go from there. It's hard to find a pinout diagram for this. Edit: just purchased a universal push button brake light switch that should hopefully work. We shall see.

The lighting is the last thing I need to pass tech. Clubloose event in two weeks! Can't wait
    Last edited by MDRracing13; 11-06-2016 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    1995 e36 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by MDRracing13 View Post
    Got it dyno tuned at East Coast Supercharging this weekend. Ended up making 473whp and 457lb-ft. Not too bad for just a mild cam. Ripped it down my street for the first time and this thing is a beast. Crazy loud and breaks loose in 3rd gear with a tap of the pedal. Here's the dyno video:

Also installed my new gtr-style hood and pins. Horrible quality, but it's not that bad for a cheap hood.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Attempted to wire the brake lights this weekend as well. Almost there but I just can't figure out which wires to use from the brake switch. I have two wires coming from the relay, and four wires on the brake switch. I'm able to get the lights to function (via 3 out of 4 wires from switch), but they constantly stay on and the brake switch does nothing. Doesn't turn off when it's pressed. Not sure where to go from there. It's hard to find a pinout diagram for this.

The lighting is the last thing I need to pass tech. Clubloose event in two weeks! Can't wait
    Sounds real healthy!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    Ls2 e36 sedan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast