RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Drivetrain Malfunction, etc. 2011 750 Li

My Cars
    2011 750 Li

Drivetrain Malfunction, etc. 2011 750 Li

Hi all.

History... I purchased my father's 2011 750Li after he passed away. Last August, the coolant low message came on. While the vehicle was idling, it suddenly felt like another vehicle was against the bumper trying to push it. It was so jerky and then the engine malfunction "reduced power" message came on. I shut it down and put coolant in it. I drove it a few miles then stopped to pick up some food. When I restarted it, it happened again and stalled. It was repaired under a goodwill "silent recall". The injectors were replaced among many other parts. Last month, I started getting the "battery discharging" message. It also has been not shifting smoothly. I took it to dealer to replace the battery. He suggested I hold off on diagnosing the transmission. He claimed that sometimes with the low voltage, it can cause some other issues that may clear up after the replacement. That was last week. Got on freeway today and as I accelerated, the drivetrain malfunction error came on. I immediately pulled off the freeway and it started with the jerking again. I called the dealer so I could bring it back. When I checked the vehicle status, it showed all systems OK. He told me it was safe to drive but don't accelerate heavily. I made it there with no problem.

So... do you all think it could be the same issue? God, I hope it's not drivetrain or transmission. Car only has 38,000 miles. Service guy doesn't seem to think BMW would cover if so. Because "it's out of warranty". Seems unfair considering the low miles. I will definitely fight for it since he also mentioned that this "happens alot with this model". Why do they say things like that and then act as if it shouldn't be covered? If these are known issues, there should be no question about covering it.

Anyway, just looking for input, similar issues (and outcomes), opinions? Think I'm done with BMW. Although, they did give me a new 750 loaner... 😉
    Last edited by juliep522; 02-08-2016 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yes, this would be correct. If the warranty has expired, BMW (like any manufacturer) has absolutely no responsibility to fix your car for free. Why would you think they should? When a buyer wants a longer warranty, he needs to buy one. They've already given you a free goodwill repair, out of warranty, and you're so ungracious as to condemn the company for not doing this in perpetuity? If you want to encourage the dealership to encourage BMW NA to consider offering further concessions towards your repairs, you're going to need a much more appreciative attitude. You're not the original owner, and the car is out of warranty, they owe you nothing.

You own an ~$85,000 car. It requires $3-4000 per year in repairs and maintenance, like any other car of this price range. Step up.

Like any highly complex, ultra-luxury, modern automobile, there's no telling you what's wrong with it without having communication with the many many dozens of computers in the car. It is certain that there are trouble codes stored in many of these computers.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2011 750 Li
    Thank you Chris. I did ask for opinions and I respect yours. I do believe that you misinterpreted my feeling. If this were a car (and it was $100k) that had normal wear and tear and then after excessive miles, the transmission was failing, that would be one thing. But the car is 5 years old with low miles. My father only had it 2 years before he died. The last fix was for a known issue. I have been reading about numerous issues with this particular engine. I have been reading about multiple fixes for the same issues. When I keep hearing "yeah, this happens with these cars" or "with this model", that means it's obviously common and they should take care of the repairs to a defective engine. I'm not ungrateful. I am appreciative that THEY stepped up to fix something they knew was wrong. And if it keeps having the same engine trouble because of that, yes, they should fix it. When you have vehicles stalling and/or shifting down to neutral while driving on the freeway, that is scary. Dangerous. This is supposed to be the Ultimate Driving Machine. Not so if it's spending it's time in the shop having the engine repaired repeatedly. Many cars out of warranty have covered recalls. I don't know how many engine fails they need to do a recall to protect their car owners. But I hope it's something they consider soon.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Sorry for your troubles, however a low mileage car can have the same issues as a high mileage car when it comes to the electronic as they are not being used.

The "Ultimate Driving Machine" got lost in the early 90's as in the last E-30 rolled off the assembly line. What you drive is a Executive car which is designed to last 4-6 years at best without any issues as it is packed full of electronic gizmos.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 750 Li
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Sorry for your troubles, however a low mileage car can have the same issues as a high mileage car when it comes to the electronic as they are not being used.

The "Ultimate Driving Machine" got lost in the early 90's as in the last E-30 rolled off the assembly line. What you drive is a Executive car which is designed to last 4-6 years at best without any issues as it is packed full of electronic gizmos.

Thanks dworthy. As it turns out, 3 of the 8 injectors they replaced in August malfunctioned. They replaced them. Service guy seems to think it'll probably happen again. "Nature of the beast". His words. It still lags a little and shifts clunky. Think it's time to trade in. I'll never trust it. Especially with my daughter in it. I bought it for sentimental reasons and thought it would be so nice to have such a luxury car. Novelty wore off. Thanks for your input. ��

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yeah, it looks as you got a lemon. A BMW outside of the warranty can get expensive quick, so if you like the car but not the maintenance, get a new one every 2-4 years to keep a new car in the garage, but not worry about anything else.

As my wife like to complain when I fix and spend money on the cars prior to them breaking: "How much does peace of mind cost when all you need to do is get in a drive?" For everything else there is MasterCard!
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 750 Li
    Thanks. Guess my father bought the lemon and it ripened when I bought it. LOL! Not that I can do anything about it now. But I am looking at something else now. When a service department tells you that's the way they are, doesn't much make me want to own another one. They are beautiful, powerful and (usually) drive really nice. It's too bad that this was my first experience with BMW. It's my last. Thanks for the input again.

My Cars
    2002, 328d
    Call your dealer and ask about the N63 Customer care package - or did they already perform this?

My Cars
    2011 750 Li
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
    Call your dealer and ask about the N63 Customer care package - or did they already perform this?
    Thanks. If it's the replacing of the injectors and some other parts (I don't have paperwork handy) then yes. And 3 went bad again. I'll check papers and see if it says that. Service dept did mention customer care.

My Cars
    BMW 750Lix

Unhappy You got to be kidding me with the answer you gave the person that Answer

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yes, this would be correct. If the warranty has expired, BMW (like any manufacturer) has absolutely no responsibility to fix your car for free. Why would you think they should? When a buyer wants a longer warranty, he needs to buy one. They've already given you a free goodwill repair, out of warranty, and you're so ungracious as to condemn the company for not doing this in perpetuity? If you want to encourage the dealership to encourage BMW NA to consider offering further concessions towards your repairs, you're going to need a much more appreciative attitude. You're not the original owner, and the car is out of warranty, they owe you nothing.

You own an ~$85,000 car. It requires $3-4000 per year in repairs and maintenance, like any other car of this price range. Step up.

Like any highly complex, ultra-luxury, modern automobile, there's no telling you what's wrong with it without having communication with the many many dozens of computers in the car. It is certain that there are trouble codes stored in many of these computers.
    You got to be kidding me with the answer you gave juliep522
    Drivetrain Malfunction, etc. 2011 750 Li
    This is my second 750Li 2011 first of all a person do not spend 100k on a car that breaks down every month that is#$%^. My BMW is straight trash I will never , never own another bmw again. I have tons of stories to tell you about my 2011 750LI. The bottom line bmw put a horrible product out on the market, it's so horrible bmw is willing to allow you to trade it for the new model 750LI, with a different engine and drive train.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-26-2017 at 03:47 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Please, no profanity in the General Forums. Thank you for your cooperation, DDMCNEILL.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No, ddmcneill, I'm not kidding.

The more "cutting edge" the car, the more problems it will have, and the more it will cost to maintain and repair it. If you want an ultra-reliable, cheap to maintain automobile, buy a Corolla.

A late model 750i will cost a LOT of money, to keep in good repair, after the warranty is over. And that's why the vast majority of people who buy new, $100,000 luxury cars trade them in, when the warranty ends. And then someone else buys them....OH, WHAT A BARGAIN!, and then fails to spend the necessary $4000+, per year, and those neglected costs ACCRUE, and then, surprise, three years further on, you owe the car $12,000.

You can bad-mouth the car all you want, but really, it's pretty obvious that you don't understand the basic automotive equations. That '11 750 is NOT a $100,000 car, by the way. It's a terribly neglected $ 15,000 car, now.
    https://www.kbb.com/bmw/7-series/201...condition=good

You see, the 7 series shares the "honor", with the Mercedes S-class, and other luxo-tourers, of losing value faster than any other cars.....because these cars are created for the ORIGINAL OWNERS, who will generally replace them in 3 years.

Look, I didn't design the automotive marketplace, nor did I design the cars. But I DO have to fix them, and often have to explain to the owners exactly why they need to spend ~$9,000 to fix a car that they just bought, for a tiny percentage of it's initial cost.

And, no, the Company doesn't owe the owner of such a car anything, beyond whatever warranty was agreed.

You seem to want to make BMW the culprit, here. And believe me, I personally do not like the modern BMWs nearly as much as, say, E53s and prior. But still, it's NOT me or you that BMW is building these cars to please. It's building them for the person that buys them, BRAND NEW. And believe me, EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER follows that same priority.

If you believe that a higher price buys a more reliable and less troublesome and cheaper-to-maintain car, you've got it almost perfectly backwards.

The most reliable, elegant, easy and cheap to maintain BMW you can buy for the $15,000 will be a perfect low mile E28 or E34 535 Manual, or maybe E39 or E38 540 or 740, perfect, very low miles. For any of these, you'll have money left over. It'll be the best car you ever owned, and you'll be able to fix it yourself.

Most reliable, trouble-free 2011 car will be a Toyota, probably. Let me know, after you buy one.

(I'll be over here, throwing money at my old M-car..... )
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 04-26-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2012 BMW 750LI
    Wow, I have the exact problems with my recently purchased 2012 BMW 750Li with 59000 miles, its currently with the Dealer with the drivetrain Malfunction error. It's having an injector replaced but the Service Advisor is pleading that I get rid of the car as quickly as possible. This is incredible to hear but after reading some of the posts on this forum I can't convince myself to keep it any longer. I bought it from a Toyota dealership with a two year aftermarket warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by juliep522 View Post
    Hi all.

History... I purchased my father's 2011 750Li after he passed away. Last August, the coolant low message came on. While the vehicle was idling, it suddenly felt like another vehicle was against the bumper trying to push it. It was so jerky and then the engine malfunction "reduced power" message came on. I shut it down and put coolant in it. I drove it a few miles then stopped to pick up some food. When I restarted it, it happened again and stalled. It was repaired under a goodwill "silent recall". The injectors were replaced among many other parts. Last month, I started getting the "battery discharging" message. It also has been not shifting smoothly. I took it to dealer to replace the battery. He suggested I hold off on diagnosing the transmission. He claimed that sometimes with the low voltage, it can cause some other issues that may clear up after the replacement. That was last week. Got on freeway today and as I accelerated, the drivetrain malfunction error came on. I immediately pulled off the freeway and it started with the jerking again. I called the dealer so I could bring it back. When I checked the vehicle status, it showed all systems OK. He told me it was safe to drive but don't accelerate heavily. I made it there with no problem.

So... do you all think it could be the same issue? God, I hope it's not drivetrain or transmission. Car only has 38,000 miles. Service guy doesn't seem to think BMW would cover if so. Because "it's out of warranty". Seems unfair considering the low miles. I will definitely fight for it since he also mentioned that this "happens alot with this model". Why do they say things like that and then act as if it shouldn't be covered? If these are known issues, there should be no question about covering it.

Anyway, just looking for input, similar issues (and outcomes), opinions? Think I'm done with BMW. Although, they did give me a new 750 loaner... 

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well, for an update to this thread:

BMW ceased the N63 Customer Care Package a couple of years ago. They did, however, make a further effort to help customers who own the cars most effected: they now offer a factory remanufactured N63 engine for ~$10,000 off the original price, now about $3100. plus core.

Unfortunately, they aren't getting enough cores back to keep up with demand. Core charges are up from $1000 to $2000, and the engine shows as being temporarily unavailable, last I heard.

Anyway, while the inexpensive engines solve the timing chain issue, they don't fix the injectors, MAF, battery consumption, and....I forget what else.

Caveat emptor.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    I've been waiting on an engine since early July. Last I checked they were only shipping about 20/month. Not sure if that's 20 to the US, or they're building 20ish for the world market.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I thank you for being here, my friend White 94RX. I try to keep up with the state of affairs, and provide current information.

20 per month obviously isn't going to handle the issue, especially if YOU are still waiting. At the same time, I have to give some credit to BMW, since they're actually trying to address an issue for cars that are long since out of warranty.

Personally, I'd never buy a flagship (non-M) car from either BMW or MB, because their failure rate and resale values are absurd. These are cars made for the original buyer, who has a full factory warranty, and trades the car after four years.

While the folks above are complaining, the truth is that their complaints are grossly ineffective, because they are not NEW car buyers. These models (7 series and S-class) are not made for the used car market. Realistically, NO manufacturer makes cars for that market, because there's zero profit in that.

My personal 2 cents: If you want and expect a car that doesn't have expensive failures regularly after the factory warranty is over, buy a Camry. I wouldn't drive one if you paid me, I'd rather pay the fun tax.

Hey, I just fix 'em, I didn't design them. Nothing is free. You want cars that stop and start themselves, have every gadget in the world, bluetooth your telephone and air condition and massage your butt....well, step right up....we got your poison, baby.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2012 650i Convertible
    Great info Chris -- unfortunately I did not see this post until after I bought my fantastic looking 650i black/black 2012 covertible with 47K miles on it. I do see 0 unrepaired recalls for it. It does use about 1 quart of oil every 700 miles. I do detect a distinct silicon chip odor after each commute. I do need to turn the wheel very gently when I first start the car up or receive a steering warning light message. On the unlock screen, my battery does read 12.1 volts. Should I sell it asap? Will BMW provide me with detailed service records and repairs made? I was bored with my 2013 MB E Coupe with 84K and no maintenance issues and decided on this due a great experience with a 2009 335i hard top convertible. Thanks in advance. LTurchin

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    BMW will give the current owner a copy of all work done on a car if requested. Of course you will not get to see who owned the car before you, as it is a privacy issue for BMWNA. If the battery is reading 12.1 volts with everything powered down, then it is time for a new battery. On average a battery lasts 6 years, so I am willing to bet that it is original.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member