Thread: Bought a donor car for transmission swap (auto>manual). 1st, 3rd and 5th won't engage

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i 5MT

Bought a donor car for transmission swap (auto>manual). 1st, 3rd and 5th won't engage

Hello everyone,

So I bought a '98 328is donor car for my '94 325ic. Planning the drivetrain swap (auto>manual).
    The car was in an accident, hit a tree, driver's side, straight head to head right where the left headlight is. So everything further than intake manifold is destroyed, the suspension cup is bent, from inside the driver's footwell (behind the clutch pedal) is bent inward and the clutch pedal is damaged too. The engine is fine and most importantly, according to the owner, the drivetrain is fine too.

So the car was towed to my place and parked on the driveway. I wanted to lock it into 1st gear (without depressing the clutch since there is no pedal to depress, not even sure in what position the clutch is right now) when I realized that there is no "bump" when I engage and the selector springs back to neutral. Same thing for 3rd and I think I tried the 5th but not sure. The 2nd and 4th are engaging properly back and forth and I feel the bump, like normal.

I did a quick search and found that for other cars it could be a selector linkage problem, but I could not confirm if that is valid for BMW selectors. It makes sense that when you go into 2nd and 4th, you are "pushing" the rod that slides into the transmission, and when you go in 1/3/5 you pull the rod, meaning that if the linkage to the rod is broken then you can still push it but cannot pull it. However, I am confused how do I manage to PULL the rod from the 2nd and 4th into the neutral then?

Or, I hope not but still, maybe the gearbox is damaged? Please help and thank you guys!
    Last edited by make it easy; 02-02-2016 at 10:30 PM.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    Sounds like the donor had a very rough last ride.
    IDK how the PO can say anything is fine unless he's checked it out thoroughly, it seems something is amiss among the gears / synchros.
    Could well be a selector rod issue, or something internal depending where the drivers right hand was upon impact.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    If the engine and box has moved you could have this issue
    If it was mine I would try clearing trim and stuff from around the lever or try the box on the floor but it's not mine

- - - Updated - - -

If it was mine I would try clearing trim and stuff from around the lever or try the box on the floor but it's not mine

- - - Updated - - -

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Most likely a linkage issue. These cars are made to buckle and absorb impact. When my wife's car was totaled (t-boned on the passenger side) the entire trans tunnel was buckled right at the shifter location so the circle hole became a diamond shaped hole and 3/4 of the engine/tranny mounts were broken.