Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daily Driver No Longer – Enduro E36 M3

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Oooh... Been a long time since I posted an update. Things are slowly moving and will be getting back to work on the M3 again soon and post an update. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, I have been busy working on the NLM/M3R race car for the last couple of months. The work paid off, as we took both wins at the WRL race at BIR last weekend!

BIR double P1s.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5

1st 2018 Update

Work has once again re-commenced on my M3, but we can only manage one night per week to trek out to its current location in my buddy's shop. So progress is not exactly rapid, but steady. Most of November and December were spent prepping the current WRL/M3r car for VIR. That was a fun and SNOWY adventure to Virginia! Had some issues Saturday, but took P1 in class (and nearly overall) on Sunday. First pic is pitlane the night before Saturday and the second is DURING the race on Saturday.
    VIR TRack snow.jpg Snowy VIR.jpg

In the last couple weeks, I have managed to get the rear brake hard lines on the M3 replaced and RTAB pocket reinforcements welded in. No pics of those unfun and tedious job just yet. Welding on your back is not ideal (or so I was told). I also finally got back around to finishing the rebuild of the LSD unit with new diff seals etc. My “helper” did not really speed up that job.
    20171119_102938.jpg

But eventually it got finished and is ready for re-installation (once the gas tank is back in and subframe is done, always something to do). Pretty pleased with the results though. Amazing what a little elbow grease and some paint can do.
    20171203_110838.jpg

The subframe also got bead blasted and is ready for paint before the bushings are all put back in and it can be reinstalled. Again, after the gas tank goes in and the other suspension bits are finished.
    20171229_205946.jpg

Unfortunately, we discovered a bit of rust in the front driver floor that we need to fix before we can continue on the roll cage. More fun with MN cars!

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5

February 2018

Still working on getting the floor sorted out on the passenger side so the cage work can recommence. As you can see, we had to cut out a pretty good section.

Welding on the thin floor was a little tricky at first, but we have it pretty well sorted out now. Almost all of the replacement pieces are ready and starting to get stitched back in.

We had to take some time off last week to add some additional heat to the shop, which is tucked under my buddy’s garage. It’s been rather cold and snowy here, as they may have mentioned during the Super Bowl broadcast. So we added a new 220V outlet to power the heater which took the shop from a chilly 42deg to a balmy 60. Time well spent!

While my fabricator was busy getting the heat sorted out and patching the floor, I worked on a few other tasks. Got both door panels done and started to work on the hood vent. Decided I would wait to cut that till next week as it was quite late and I was getting a bit punchy. Not ideal time for power tools on your hood.

Once the mercury creeps back to decent temps, I will have to get some paint on both of these.

Reasonably pleased with how the door panels came out. Used some Bimmerworld aluminum blanks I bought used. Installed with some riv-nuts and allen head screws. Cut out the handles with a dremel so I can reuse the stock trim, which will get glued to the panel I think as the handle is set back from the door panel.

The subframe is now reinforced and ready for paint and the new AKG bushings that have been gathering dust. Those welds are far too pretty to be my handiwork.

Last but not least, the M3R/NLM race car is getting some offseason loving too. Turns out we were losing a compression at VIR, so time for a new headgasket etc.

That is still WIP, but its a job we have done many times before. #E36problems Since that is under the knife, we have secured a different ride for the WRL race at Hearland Park Topeka in March. More to follow.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraM3 View Post

But eventually it got finished and is ready for re-installation (once the gas tank is back in and subframe is done, always something to do). Pretty pleased with the results though. Amazing what a little elbow grease and some paint can do.
    20171203_110838.jpg

The subframe also got bead blasted and is ready for paint before the bushings are all put back in and it can be reinstalled. Again, after the gas tank goes in and the other suspension bits are finished.
    20171229_205946.jpg

Unfortunately, we discovered a bit of rust in the front driver floor that we need to fix before we can continue on the roll cage. More fun with MN cars!

I have the same rogue diff cover. Looks so good from the back.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    We run the Rogue covers on our race car and have on previous ones as well and they seem to do a good job of keeping the diff clutches happy. The cooling an extra capacity really seem to make a difference, even if it is not an inexpensive bit. But rebuilding diffs is expensive too I guess.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Well, I cut some big @$$ holes in my hood... Measured the top and side distances to get it centered and marked the positions on the tape. Then taped the vent to the hood and center punch the corners to drill holes at the corners to make them nice and round and give the angle grinder a starting spot. Drilled 1/4" holes at each corner. Then got to partying with the angle grinder. Pic shows the supports still in place, but we cut those out too. Need to paint the vent before I install it still. It's approx. 13inches back from the rear of the rad and hopefully will help keep things cool. I had wanted it a touch further back, but there was a dent in the hood that I also wanted to cut out as part of this, so that limited my options. With the A/C condenser removed and the SPAL (wired to low temp switch), should be a nice improvement.
    20180209_214051.jpg
    20180209_213033.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Progress continues! The driver floor repair is moving along slowly but surely. My fabricator has gotten rather busy, so we shall see how that affects things. We did manage to get the RTAB plates in, which was not a ton of fun. Painted them with some rust encapsulating paint from Eastwood to be safe and then hit the nearby areas with underbody spray. We had already repaired one of the mounting points a few years ago after it cracked at the welds, so this is adding some much-needed piece of mind. Also ordered some new RTAB bushings from Garagistic that will go in once I get the rear end back together.
    20180216_204532.jpg

Subframe bushings and paint are on the agenda this week...among other things.
    Last edited by HaraM3; 03-06-2018 at 11:19 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    The new set of wider ARC-8 wheels for dry running showed up today! I love the Apex group buy deal. Will have these at 17x9.5 for fair weather and my current set of the same wheels (although Hyper Black) in 17x9 with wet tires.
    20180306_195423.jpg
    Last edited by HaraM3; 10-05-2018 at 10:21 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Racing (and working on) other people's cars keeps getting in the way of building my own car. But, at least we are collecting some hardware. Back to work on my car soon!
    FB_IMG_1521595294068.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Cage work is progressing. Should have better pics soon. Here is are a couple quick ones.
    15262.jpg 20180727_215259.jpg

Been spending a lot of time getting the rear suspension parts cleaned up in the media blast cabinet. Almost all ready for re-installation.
    Hubs blasted.jpg

Nine Lives Racing came through with a #bigwang for E36s. Should be quite a bit more downforce...for my workbecnch at the moment.
    20180801_185044.jpg 20180804_110214.jpg

As usual, the team car has eaten up a good chunk of my time. We had a rear main seal issue that took way too long to fix. But we got it repaired and managed to run trouble free at the 24 hour race at High Plains with WRL earlier this month. Solid finish in P7.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Sweet build, proving grounds at BIR is in a couple weekends. Its a very affordable track day if you can make it! ill be there.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Painting the roll cage is not super fun, but its a lot easier than when it's raised back up on the plinth boxes. Primer is shown. Going with a medium grey similar to how BMW did their DTM interiors in the 80s and 90s0. Plus, I have found grey doesn't get too hot, is light enough so you can find tools and stuff you leave on the floor, but also does not reflect.
    20181003_214532.jpg

Should be reinstalling the rear suspension, diff, etc. soon too. Finally got all the new ball joints and bearings pressed in. Made a fun little tool out of some roll cage tubing, a 46mm socket, and some threaded rod from McMaster for the ball joints. I also wrapped the 9 Lives big wang to protect it from water and the leading edge from chips. This was my first attempt at vinyl wrapping and it came out okay, but there was lots of 4-letter analysis of the task. We plan to test it on the NLM team E36 at COTA in December.
    20180902_113037.jpg

In the meantime, got the chance to race my buddy's Miata again at the WRL race at Mid Ohio. Two races, two P1s in class and a 6th overall on Saturday. Not a bad weekend at all. MidO is a fantastic track in a Miata.
    Miata at Mid Ohio.jpg
    Last edited by HaraM3; 10-05-2018 at 10:41 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Got some painting done on the cage, which is ready for final welds to the plinth boxes now. Also installed the sunroof panel. Used 3M window weld where the panel contacts the hold and installed the screws in the stock locations and will put a panel in underneath to hold it in place. Then taped off the top of the car and sunroof and put down a bead from the top and used a flexible squeegee to get a nice flush seal. Took about 2.5h start to finish, which included removing some old seal glue - which is essential.
    Last edited by HaraM3; 01-23-2020 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5

End of 2018 Update

The rear suspension is all back in and only a few things left to finish on the cage. A couple of pics of the door bars with taco gussets...mmmmmmmmmm....tacos. Plus some pics of the nice welds on one of the plinth boxes.

21257.jpg

20181123_230326.jpg

Things went pretty well at the WRL USEC at COTA in the team car as well!

IMG_20181206_110025_619.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Rear and harness bar are ready for welds. Just the dash bar left to go. Once we get the roll cage done, we can move on to fun stuff like paint, brakes, fire suppression, aero, gauges, and the always dreaded seat install...
    20190104_232244.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Cage is finally done (well except for paint). Trying to keep the defrost for now, which will be a trick given how we had to run the dash bar. Now on to fun projects, like prep, paint, and seat installs...ugh.

20190201_214309.jpg

20190201_214302.jpg

Also got the rear end reinstalled - diff and suspension all in except for the sway bar. Will have to take a pic before it gets covered in track dust.
    Last edited by HaraM3; 02-06-2019 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Another too-long delay since an update after another busy summer. Progress has been made. All 4 corners have brakes (thanks, Porsche) and suspension, the front end bodywork is back on and lots of paint has been spilled painting the cage. I am using a heavy duty tractor paint on the cage, but what a PITA to apply it. Awesome to finally be at the part of the build where fun stuff is going on the the car like gauges, seats, window nets, aero, etc. Installing the seat was surprisingly simple versus other E36s, which I think comes down in large part to the design of the cage and how close it runs to the body.

20191004_235811.jpg
    20191004_235727.jpg

The plan is to have her ready in plenty of time for Spring and 2020 race season. Given I get about 4-5h per week to work on her at most, that still seems doable. But it assumes I stop getting sidetracked with the team race car and other activities, like my recent trip to Belgium to drive a different E36 at Spa. After experiencing the proper Euro S50B32 I am already lusting after an S54 for my car.

20190924_153141.jpg

20190924_180123.jpg

20190924_083027.jpg

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    Quote Originally Posted by HaraM3 View Post
    While my fabricator was busy getting the heat sorted out and patching the floor, I worked on a few other tasks. Got both door panels done and started to work on the hood vent. Decided I would wait to cut that till next week as it was quite late and I was getting a bit punchy. Not ideal time for power tools on your hood.

Did you fab the hood vent? I have access to a plasma table, but I have no idea no idea how to design the vents like that.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Ball3r View Post
    Did you fab the hood vent? I have access to a plasma table, but I have no idea no idea how to design the vents like that.
    Sorry. I haven't visited my build page in a while. I bought that vent here http://vraptorspeedworks.com/bmwuniversal-hood-louvers/

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Once again past due for an update. Given the new WRL schedule and the lack of NASA races at BIR and Road America, the plan for this car has shifted slightly. I now plan to run it in SCCA STU. It should be reasonably competitive in the local region though probably not nationally against newer cars like Civic Type Rs, Z4s, Lotus Elises, etc. At this point, working on getting the interior sorted, electrical worked out, gauges installed, and safety gear ready. The interior is finally starting to look like a person may some day sit in it.
    20191213_235151.jpg

Wiring involved pulling the intake mani to make sure the alternator cutoff is happy and looks clean. Using a spare LED ceiling fixture works great as an underhood shop light!
    20200110_193802.jpg

The least fun job in all of this was getting the seat and slider installed. I could have just installed it without the slider and saved myself some headaches, but I may still use the car for the occasional enduro and wanted the option for others to fit. I have hated this job in every race car I have ever worked on. The Motion Motorsport infinite adjustable side mounts are great, but even they only help so much.
    20191213_205033.jpg

It's always good to have a spare engine when you are racing, so I found a cheap S52 locally that will eventually get built into my race engine for next year.
    20200111_132836.jpg

The NLM team car got a lot of attention the past few months, with 2 races including the WRL championship at COTA. We won the USEC on Saturday despite a fuel pump issue that required us to do 7 stops instead of 3 and the season points championship in GP2!

COTA Champts.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    I guess I should bring this to a close, as the car is finished. Well, at least it is an official race car now, with an SCCA logbook and all. Are these things ever really "finished"? It even won it's first race and set a new STU-class track record at Brainer International Raceway, and by ~4 seconds too (not many STU cars in the LOL region of SCCA apparently). It was not easy to get it completed in time (and my tow vehicle decided that it wanted no part of towing and simultaneously broke several parts in the rear suspension meaning I had to borrow one from a generous friend), but it was a blast. Still some bugs to sort out before the next race at Road America. Here are a couple of pics of it in action at its first race weekend.

July 2020 BIR Race Carousel.jpg

E36 Debut Race.jpg

My Cars
    e36 M3 x 2
    Great home build! I recognize you from COTA with WRL. I believe last year we were in the garage next to you guys with the black and red NA miata #43. Hope to see you guys at COTA again this year in December.

My Cars
    '95 M3 & '00 M5
    Sadly, no COTA for us this year. We decided to do VIR for our big tow event and our team owner also did the SCCA Runoffs. Maybe back to COTA next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12