Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Tire Recommendations

Tire Recommendations

My '99 M3 is ready for new rubber.

I've had Michelin Pilot Sports on it since new and been fairly impressed with the handling, but what are the other options out there? It's used solely on the street, no track time, and is a daily commuter as well as weekend canyon carver. I'm in Arizona so wet performance is not high on my list of priorities, but I sometimes get to places where there is moisture so I don't want to ignore wet traction.

My other question is, should I get these through the mail-order folks or at the tire dealer? I'll still take them to my mechanic to get mounted.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
    M3 Architect

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Cheap solution:

Sumitomo HTRZ II, or AVS Intermediates if you don't mind a bit of noise.

Expensive solution:

Bridgestone S03s. Prices have dropped to about 200/shoe. They are awesome though.

The sumi's have better than expected dry traction, and are plenty forgiving. While I have not driven the SO3's hard, I did the S02's. The S02's had better dry traction than the sumi's (but not as much as you would think), but far better wet traction. The sumi's only have acceptable wet traction, while the S02's rocked. The S03's are supposed to have even better wet weathe traction than the S02's, which stays more consistent through the life of the tire.

Buy from Tire Rack, and use one of their recommended installers in your area. That's what I do. It's worked out great.

Jeff
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    S03s without a doubt. I went the cheap route once cause I was low on funds. I bought Kumho 712s. The Kumhos when they were brand new couldn't compare to half-worn S02s in the past. So when the Kumhos wore out, I bought S03s... and I haven't regretted it since...

My wallet hurts afterwards, but when you think about it... your pricey shiny car is held to the road by four patches of rubber... make 'em count.

Keep the shiney side up...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Kevlar,

I'm not a huge fan of the Kumho 712's. Was it a night and day difference b/t the two?

Jeff
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by frayed
    I'm not a huge fan of the Kumho 712's. Was it a night and day difference b/t the two?
    The difference in unbelievable... for example. When I attack off-ramps, I attack them hard. When I went into the offramps on new Kumho tires... The car would reach it's limits before I would... I'd hit the limit where the car would start to slip... and mind you, this were new tires... as the tires wore down, my speeds dropped.

On the new S03s... I reach my personal limits of fear before I reach the limits of the tires. The car has more to go (how much I don't know) but I start to back off before the car starts to reach it's limits.

The back tires are about 40% worn and the tires can still out corner me.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    I should have just gotten S03's. Oh well, one driving school, and an active right foot should kill them soon.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    '95 M3

Discount Tire

M3Architect,

About tire prices:

I've gotten excellent prices and service from my neighborhood Discount Tire store (in Arrowhead) since doing business with them thru 3 or more sets of tires. I get them to match the Tire Rack price, plus I get the bonus of the road hazard warranty (they replaced a tire I shredded after spinning off the track at Willow Springs) and I avoid the freight cost.

All in all, the overall cost is the same or cheaper. I think I get a better value than mail order due to the local customer service, road hazard warranty, and free rotation. Besides, their national HQ is right around the corner at Scottsdale Air Park.

I recommend Yokohama AVS Sports. Great tire at a reasonable price.
    Read my review here
    Avus Blue 95 M3
    260,000 original-owner miles, tracked monthly, driven daily

UUC WilwoodSuperlite4-WheelBigBrakeKitJTD/Bimmerworld/RRTBrake Cooling Ducts
    UUC ReinforcedTrannyMountsFront&RearStrutBracesMotorsportX-Brace
    ElectricFanDeleteTurnerMotorsportSkidPlateEdgeMotorworksGauges
    ISC N1 Track CoiloversSchroth Rally4 HarnessesISC Camber Plates
    Euro 6-speedUUC Stage 2 Flywheel/Power Clutchdiffsonline.com 3.64:1 Rear Diff
    TurnerFullChassisandSuspensionReinforcementKit

MemphisMotorsportsParkRoadAtlantaMichiganSpeedwayStLouisGatewayRacewayButtonwillowWillowSprings
    StreetsOfWillowCaliforniaSpeedwayPhoenixIntlRacewayArizonaMotorsportsParkFirebirdLasVegasMotorSpeedway
    LagunaSecaThunderhillParkSonomaRacewayBatangasCircuitPhilippinesSubicIntlRacewaySepangF1Circuit
    PahrumpSpringMountainMotorsportsRanchReno-FernleyRacewayPutnamParkNCMMPPittRaceMid-Ohio
    IndianapolisSpeedwayRoadCourse

My Cars
    ?
    I tried to reply to your email, but it said that the AOL address is no good. Here is the body of the email:

I honestly thnk that the S-03 is still your best option. With any high performance tire, mileage will suffer. I'd say that with proper alignment and maintainence you'll get about 20K out of a set of tires. You might get more, you might get less, but that is a good average to shoot for with any good tire. The place that I would most highly recommend to make your purchase from is www.tirerack.com They are the largest tire reseller in the world and have an amazing reputation. Everyone that works for the Tire Rack is a car guy (or gal) an really know their stuff.

Good luck, and feel free to drop me a note if you have any further questions.

Brian

Thanks for the info. Based on everything I've researched and your input, I'll be going with the S-03's, either from TireRack or Discount Tire in Scottsdale if they'll work with me on the price.

Sorry about the email; forgot to update it when I changed carriers. It's been corrected.

This is a great community. Thanks again.
    M3 Architect

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    I had been leaning toward the S03s myself but Tirerack seems to have dropped the price of the Pilot Sports to comparable prices. I know the S03s are newer, but I'm used to the Pilot Sports and have very few complaints. I also understand that the S03s are about 3lbs. heavier than the equivalent Pilot Sport. So right now I'm a bit undecided between the two.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Rel, you pegged the weight thing. . . the S03's aren't light. That's sort of the hidden caveat to these fine treads.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    Wasn't there a gentleman who had connections to Bridgestone and was offering them at a price better than what we could get. I think someone pissed him off and he revoked his offer. If you are still out there...I could use your help. Thanks in advance, N8.
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Originally posted by frayed
    Rel, you pegged the weight thing. . . the S03's aren't light. That's sort of the hidden caveat to these fine treads.
    Well I'm thinking the extra weight of the S03's on my heavy ass Contours will negate the joy factor I receive from the extra traction.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette