Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a used E61 - 8 month ownership report

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I am updating this long term ownership thread with a recent repair. The rear air suspension was cycling often, and made me think we had a leak. Eventually the passenger side collapsed, but I was able to reset the pump and get it riding correctly. About two weeks later, the whole rear end collapsed, and I was unable to get things to cycle with my diagnostic computer.

End result was that I had to replace the burned out air compressor, which came with a new multi-valve. I think the valve was going bad, which caused the pump to run-on, and burn out. Total parts cost was $500, but that includes air springs. The old ones were still holding air, but I figured that at $120 for the pair, they were worth doing.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 01-07-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is not too bad on parts cost. I have wondered about the longevity and was curious whether there were aftermarket air or traditional options. At what age and mileage did this happen?

My Cars
    1987 M6
    We are at about 120k miles. The compressor is an Arnott branded, OEM product with a lifetime warranty on compressor and valve. The parts were mounted on a new bracket with isolators, so basically everything is new. I sourced the compressor through shockwarehouse.com, as part number P-3220, and price was $381. The springs were ordered from Suncoreindustries.com for $115.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    91-Dinan 850TT
    Good info, thanks.

My Cars
    Subaru
    Thanks a lot for that review of your ownership. Precious info right there.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I have another update on our long term relationship with our E61.

We purchased the car in May, 4 years ago. Last year, just before the extended warranty ended in May, I took the car in to the dealership to have them inspect everything, and give me a list of repairs they thought needed doing. Of that list, a few items ended up covered by that extended warranty I haggled my way into. We were able to get the OFHG, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gasket replaced for just a $100 deductible. A couple of months ago, we received a PCV recall notice, and when we took it in, the valve cover gasket had failed and oil was leaking. Because the dealer replaced that part, the 2 year warranty covered a replacement at no cost. So one very good thing about having the dealership do any work, is that the repair is guaranteed, and BMW service stands by their warranty.

Recently, the drivers door latch began sticking, but a spray of SuperLube Dry Lubricant took care of things. I really like the SuperLube family of products.

An amusing side note is that the Momentum Auto Group which owned the dealership (and about 4 others) from which we purchased our E61 has gone belly up. Looks like we, and our E61 crossed paths at exactly the right time to save her.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 07-30-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2006 E61
    DaHose, this is a great thread and very valuable information. For anyone thinking of buying a used E61, here's my story. TLR it has truly been a love/hate relationship. Would I buy this car again, knowing what I know now. No. Do I love this car. Hell yeah!

I too have an E61 6spd manual that I bought in June of 2016 with ~70k miles. I however did not buy a warranty like you did, thinking I could most repairs that came up and whatever preventive maintenance that was needed. My car now has 97,500 miles on it. This has been my daily driver for the past 3 years, and I have come to the conclusion that for me to truly love this car, it would have to be a 2nd car so that I did not have to depend on it so much.

I have done most of the repairs listed in this thread, all of which I did by myself except for an engine swap and fuel pump. Yep, at around ~95k it threw a piston rod and engine had to be replaced. After reading this thread, I think the engine overheated due to faulty cooling system. I had already bought the kit from FCP Euro to replace the water pump and thermostat, because my fan was coming on really strong at startup, and I had 2 engine temperature warnings over the course of maybe 2 months. I really wish this car had a temperature gauge. Lesson learned.

I decided the car was worth it, and took it to a local indy shop. Along with the new (used ~115k with a 6 month warranty) engine it got the new water pump and thermostat I had already bought. It also got a bunch of new gaskets, plugs, hoses, etc.

One month later, the car would not start. Engine was turning over but seemed like it was starving for fuel. The problem was I was planning on taking the car for a trip the coming weekend and needed it working. So I had it towed back to my mechanic. They diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pump. I could have replace it myself but due to the time constraints the mechanic did it for $1000 which made me sick to my stomach. In hindsight I should have changed my plans and driven my wife's car on the trip, so that I could have given myself more time to diagnose and replace the faulty part. Because...

After leaving the mechanic and on the way out of town, the person I typically dealt with called because he was not there when I picked the car up. He let me know that when they ran the codes it did come back with a fault(s) for the eccentric shaft sensor. Sure enough I started having cold start problems and bad idling. I drove it like that for a few days until going home from work on a Friday afternoon it stalled multiple times but was able to limp it home. I spoke with the mechanic and he assured me that the fuel pump was bad and gave me some tips on doing the ESS and valve cover job. After reading about and watching some videos, I bought the ESS and valve cover replacement kit from FC Euro and did the job myself which probably saved about $1,500. It wasn't a bad job but I had some missteps, mainly because I put the Valvetronic Motor gasket on backwards which caused a vacuum leak and rough idling. After I got that sorted, the engine is running great with no more CEL, vacuum leaks, poor idling, and it starts great.

I completed that job this past weekend and now am trying to decide whether or not to keep this car. I love it, but it has pushed me to the edge both mentally and financially.

Finally, here's the list of everything I have fixed/replaced:
    - BMW Air Spring Rear - Arnott A-2755 - both sides
    - Starter - Bosch
    - Intake manifold gaskets
    - Front headlight bulb for parking lights
    - installed a trailer hitch for bike rack
    - BMW Fuel Tank Sending Unit and Fuel Filter Assembly - Bosch 16117373514
    - Fuel Pump (mechanic)
    - Fixed tailgate with fluid refill
    - new battery - 95R-DLG from AZ
    - Brake pads & rotors all 4 corners - BMW Brake Kit - Zimmermann/Akebono 34216864053KTR1
    - new (used) engine - (mechanic)
    - Flywheel - (mechanic at time of engine swap)
    - Water pump and thermostat - BMW Water Pump Replacement Kit - 11517586925KT - (mechanic at time of engine swap)
    - Coolant hose
    - BMW Auxiliary Fan Switch - Meistersatz 13621433077
    - BMW Radiator Hose Lower - Rein 17127521778
    - BMW Valve Cover Gasket Kit - 11127581215KT1
    - BMW Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Sensor - VDO 11377524879

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There will be more to come, like oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets, oil pan gasket, ignition coils, de-gooing and de-carbonizing intake ports. The turbos will be hopefully further down the road. You should also change your front and rear differential fluids and brake fluid.

Your engine failure was probably due to the thermostat or electric pump. They seem to be 75k mile items.

I am at 140k, owned since 30k, and think the turbos might be about due. I’d like to keep mine another couple of years. I do all the work except for the front spring that broke after we moved and my shop was still in storage and I did not have tools. After being with it for 8 of its 11 years, I am ready to move on anytime but it’s paid for and still a decent car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123