Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used E61 - 8 month ownership report

My Cars
    1987 M6

Buying a used E61 - Long Term ownership report

I created a tailgate repair thread, and someone asked how I likeownership of our E61 based 530xi. I figureda “living with the critter” post might be about due.
    We purchased our 2006 530xi, with 93K miles in mid-May of2015. Having now owned it for nearly ayear, we still love almost everything about our E61. That’s not to say there aren’t some issuesto, but we’ll deal with the good and bad separately.

First, a really quick overview of the good. Thecar is reliable and a dream to travel in. We have made multiple trips from Napa to Los Angeles and it is super comfortable, with a confidence inspiring ride. Through the rainy season, the all wheel drive has been great. The cargo space is a little bit less than inthe Saturn LW200 we previously had, but it is quite adequate for pretty muchall we do. The rear storage compartmentsare great when we go shopping for just a couple bags of stuff, the power rear hatch is AWESOME, and the separate opening window in the rear hatch (tailgate) is really nice when you just want to grab a quick item from the back. Power is plenty for how we drive/use it and replacement parts have been easy to find when needed. All systems and switches work great and the whole car just has a real feel of quality and luxury, along with being a fantastic car to drive.

The bad, I would consider in categories of little issues common to used cars, and potentially big ones that seem model specific.

Let’s look at the little issues first. While we are only the third owners, our E61is still a used car with 93K miles. OnceI figured out how to properly interpret the on board warnings and use theservice manual, I have tackled a few issues. I had to replace leaking rear shocks, but the Bilstein B8’s are animprovement over OEM, installation was easy and the dampers have a lifetimewarranty. I have also replaced a faultybrake pad wear sensor, which taught me the hard way about resetting OBC warnings. There is also an intermittent rear lightfailure due to a melted rear light housing. Likely there was some corrosion built up at the connection for the driving light circuit. That caused arcing, which melted the metal contacts. I have ordered a new tail light for $145. I order my parts from FCPEuro due to a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell. Since we plan to keep this car until it is no more, a lifetime warranty on all replacement parts is a very good thing.

Now, for some potentially BIG issues, which seem model specific. First off, the power tailgate became noisy and didn’t want to open fully once it got cold. I narrowed that down to a slow hydraulic fluid leak. That is a very common problem that can cost the unknowing a LARGE sum of money. However, I figured out a really easy way to refill the system and posted that fix in the forums. Despite the leak, the hydraulics look pretty solid and easy to work with. I would not worry if an E61 for sale was was low on fluid, as long as there is SOME fluid cycling in there. That will keep the pump gears in good shape and the system is easy to rehabilitate, plus you can really haggle down for something like that.

Another big issue is that the E61 wagon can collect water inthe battery compartment. There are two potential leak sources. One is the sunroof drain, but if you take off the fitting at the end of the drain hose, that problem is fixed. The other source of water looks to be the tail light housing. The light mounts with many compound curves at the mating surfaces. I think that when the gasket gets old, it lets water in. You MUST confirm if water is leaking and address BOTH those potential leak sources, or water collects in the battery compartment, which then causes a lot of moisture in the fuse area. That seems to lead to the battery draining completely. I dried out the compartment and recharged the battery. Things have been great since, but I still need to replace the tail light housing.

The last big issue of concern is transmission related. I have noticed that when coming to a stop, it feels like the car surges forward just before completely stopping. That seems to be due to a software issue (ABSrelated) that releases the rear brakes just before full stop. I have read that flashing to the most current firmware in the transmission eliminates that issue. Since I didn’t know to haggle about that at time of purchase, it could mean a couple hours of shop time at about $400 total. I also have noticed some odd shifting when coming away from a “California stop”. That could also be the software, but there is also the possibility that it is the servos in the transmission. From what I read, the servotronic transmission seems to start shifting funny at about 100K miles. The fix seems to be a $400 replacement of the servos in the tranny. Since you have to remove the pan to get at the servotronic unit anyway, I think I will be replacing the servos when I change out the fluid and filter. BMW says the transmission fluid is lifetime,but an overwhelming number of E60/E61 owners say they benefitted from fluidchanges at 50K and fluid/filter at 100K miles. We we are talking $1000 in parts alone to flush the transmission and renew servo’s, so it is a REALLY good thing I can do all my own work and save the labor costs.

If you are considering purchase of an E61, I offer the following advice. Make sure it has the most current transmission firmware before you take ownership. If it is near 50K miles, a fluid change wouldbe nice. If it is near 100K miles,realize it WILL need a full transmission service and possibly servos, if shifting hasany issues.
    Also check the fluid level of the liftgate pump. If it is noisy, or if you see sticky residue in the compartment, then you will want to flush/refill. If there is a major leak at the pump, you can have it rebuilt for about $300, or replaced for closer to $800. Lastly, have the seller verify the sunroof drains are clear and that the tail lights are not leaking water.

So all-in-all, how do I feel about purchasing a usedE61? Being a 5 series, it has all theluxury you could want and even though it’s a 2006, it still impresses people when we drive up. No, that luxury is not cheap to have serviced, but if you are a competent mechanic there are great parts suppliers (and forums like this one) that can help you address any issue you might encounter. I am still REALLY happy we bought ours and highly recommend the car to anyone looking for a grocery getter wagon, with enough power and performance to be WAY fun to drive. If you have any specific questions about buying an E61 I would be happy to address them. That will allow this thread to be a really good resource to anyone considering the purchase of a used E61 Sportswagen.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 09-03-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I wish you luck with the transmission, those symptoms in mine were the start of a total transmission failure.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is also an issue with a seal that can fail in between the valve body and the trans. I did a comprehensive service of our 08 535xit at about 90k miles and changed the pan/filter and fluid and seals. Had no issues. Just doing preventative maintenance. Hopefully it was worth my weekend of work. I did all fluids, all filters, and plugs. The AWD version is a little harder to work on underneath.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I will definitely replace that seal in the process, pbonsalb. I figure I should also replace the differential and transfer case fluid, but tranny is priority.

beshannon - This is the first "modern" BMW we have bought and worried about purchasing a car so complex, so we also purchased the Gold service plan with it. That includes the transmission. If we end up in the same boat as you, the service plan will cover repair/replacement.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    I will definitely replace that seal in the process, pbonsalb. I figure I should also replace the differential and transfer case fluid, but tranny is priority.

beshannon - This is the first "modern" BMW we have bought and worried about purchasing a car so complex, so we also purchased the Gold service plan with it. That includes the transmission. If we end up in the same boat as you, the service plan will cover repair/replacement.

Jose
    I hope that works out for you.

BMW replaced and paid for my transmission. That was just the beginning of the over $9,000 in "normal" maintenance and repairs I had during 22K miles and 30 months.

My Cars
    85 M635, 98 Z3, 00 528iT
    Jose,

Thanks for the detailed report! It sounds like you've been enjoying the car which is good to hear. Most of the issues you have mentioned aren't show stoppers as long as you can turn a wrench.

By chance, do you or pbonsalb have a parts list or link(s) to the tranny replacement parts you mentioned?

Thanks again,

Eric

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I bought an oil change pan and gasket from Pelican Parts for $130. I bought the fluid from Amazon.

I also found a very interesting option for rebuilding the valve body. Revmax sells a rebuilt servotronic valve body for $799. By my guesstimate, that is about $200 more than rebuilding it yourself. Although they don't guarantee brand new solenoids. Just tested and flow matched. On the up side, they do give a 1 year warranty.

Now I'm thinking that opening up the body, a good cleaning and re-assembly with new seals would probably work wonders.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    530I
    Tail light should be cover by dealer under the recall

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Ooh .... really? I need to check on that tail light, then.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I bought a pan with oil and servo tronic seal from ECS. I was just doing a preventative maintenance change. Had no issues. My servo tronic seal was actually in good shape. There is some good info on 5 series net which is the forum I use for E61 tech. You can replace solenoids or buy rebuilt valve bodies if you determine you need that.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I was looking at the extended power train warranty we put on the E61, and it specifically says it covers solenoids and all the valves in the tranny. It think I will call the warranty company tomorrow and confirm coverage. The strange shifting we are experiencing is well documented and repairing the servotronic now, will cost them WAY less than replacing the transmission later. I have a local shop that has done work for me before, with a history of working on BMW and MBZ.

The the warranty says it includes fluids that might be needed as part of the service. I wonder if that would include the transmission filter?

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Filter is integrated into the pan and not replaceable. The shop will just replace the pan and you will get a new filter that way. The pan is plastic (at least on my 08).

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Right. I already purchased a pan and fluid to flush the tranny, but I think it would be too late to return it if it does get included in the repair.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    Very nice assessment. I will be doing the rear Bilstein B8s in a couple of days, thanks to your post.

My tail gate is dead, and the remote lock is intermittent. Everything else you mentioned is spot on.
    Tom
    Present: '06 530xiT | '00 RD R50 |'88 635CSI (project) | '85 635CSi

Past:
    '08 X3 l '98 Z3 MT l '95 M3 MT l'84 325e MT
    R.I.P.:
    '87 L6 | 85 635CSi MT | '80 320i MT

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Dangit, bimas! You might have the dreaded wiring problem. Seems like not every touring has the problem. Ours has been fine up to now.

I should add that when I was trying to repair my hatch closing button, the wiring of the harness was REALLY tight. In the process of getting the button back in, I removed all the screws and pins that hold the plastic liner to the hatch. When I did that, the wiring harness released somehow, and I was able to move it around much easier. My suspicion is that the way the harness in the actual door part is routed in a way that puts tons of tension on the harness. If you break it loose, then I think it relieves tension and allows everything work better.

I will continue updating this thread as all this is still going on at this 8 month mark.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    Yes, my harness is ef'd.

Now I have a trifecta! Eh. New thread coming soon!

The rear shocks were a breeze though:

- remove interior trim: 1hr.

- change both dampeners: 15minutes

- reassemble trim: forever

Total: 2hrs.
    Tom
    Present: '06 530xiT | '00 RD R50 |'88 635CSI (project) | '85 635CSi

Past:
    '08 X3 l '98 Z3 MT l '95 M3 MT l'84 325e MT
    R.I.P.:
    '87 L6 | 85 635CSi MT | '80 320i MT

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I have a very positive update on this thread. After researching the transmission issue more, I am positive that changing out the valvetronic solenoids (the second you notice any roughness in shifting) is the solution when it's on your dime. However, our powertrain extended warranty does cover the tranny and my local shop is replacing the transmission this week. The extended warranty will end up costing me around $3700, which is less than having the transmission replaced on my dime. My deductible is $100, so that is overall a pretty good friggin deal/value in my book! I also confirmed that my 2006 is not included under the tail light, airbag, passenger seat sensor mat, or sunroof recalls.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Well, today we got the wagon back from the shop. Final bill was $7500. My cost was $450, which includes the deductible and paying for a battery replacement/recode while they were at it.

We are extremely happy with the shop (Classic Auto in Napa, CA) and also extremely happy we decided to get the extended warranty at time of purchase. Now to order up the passenger seat sensor mat bypass plug and get my diagnostic laptop running so I can clear the error and enable the AUX input for the stereo.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I have changed the name of this thread, as we have now had the car well over a year and I am a fan of long term ownership reports. Since our transmission was replaced, I have changed out the oil cooler gasket because it was leaking. I also had to replace the halo light bulbs, but found a great, LED replacement that is significantly brighter than the OEM bulb, but runs cooler and doesn't kick up any OBC errors.

A couple of months ago, we started seeing a fuel pump error that would kick the car into limp mode. It would then go away for a while and then come back. It had not happened for a couple of weeks, but this week the car finally shut down. The OBC clearly indicated it was the fuel pump, so we took it back to our local shop for extended warranty service. As expected, both the high pressure main and lower pressure jet pump were replaced. That would have been a $1000 repair on my dime, although I would have done the labor, so out of pocket cost would have been more like $500. The main thing is that the extended warranty took care of it, and my deductible was $100. But the party doesn't end at replacement. I just got back home from going to help my wife with the car, because the jet pump securing ring was not tight enough. That meant $35 of fuel spilled all over the ground. After tightening everything down, now we can't fill it. My guess is that the vent line is pinched, so I will take the seat out tomorrow and take another look at all the fuel tank connections.

We are ABSOLUTELY frustrated right now. We love DRIVING the car, but our experience has been that once you are at 100k miles in a 5 series, things do downhill fast. We are now at over $10k worth of shop costs, on a car that was $14k to purchase. Even if I had been doing all the work myself and only paid for parts, I would likely be somewhere around $4k in parts/supplies at this point. That is 28% of what we paid for the car.

Granted that each problem we have addressed will likely not be an issue for another 100k miles. However, if you are not able to diagnose and repair most repair issues yourself (you need to have/build a diagnostic computer too), then you'd better have an extended warranty like we do to offset the cost, or be ready to spend some pretty serious money on repairs near that 100k mile mark. For a car which costs as much as our 5 series wagon did when new, this much going wrong at 100k miles, all at once, just seems ludicrous. The repair costs on a BMW truly are prohibitively expensive for most people. BMW ownership really is such a love/hate thing. Maybe once we get past this whole spate of component repairs we will settle down and be happy with it again, but right now we are just pissed off that it is being so unreliable and totally questioning the purchase.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 09-03-2016 at 12:04 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    Granted that each problem we have addressed will likely not be an issue for another 100k miles. However, if you are not able to diagnose and repair most repair issues yourself (you need to have/build a diagnostic computer too), then you'd better have an extended warranty like we do to offset the cost, or be ready to spend some pretty serious money on repairs near that 100k mile mark. For a car which costs as much as our 5 series wagon did when new, this much going wrong at 100k miles, all at once, just seems ludicrous. The repair costs on a BMW truly are prohibitively expensive for most people. BMW ownership really is such a love/hate thing. Maybe once we get past this whole spate of component repairs we will settle down and be happy with it again, but right now we are just pissed off that it is being so unreliable and totally questioning the purchase.

Jose
    Jose, it's unfortunate that this is the case for you. I know your pain; we owned a couple Audi's which cost us about $6k / year each to maintain once they hit 80k miles. Wonderful cars to drive, terrible cars to own. We went back to Japanese brands for a decade, and now we're trying another German one ... BMW.

I'm new to BMW's (just bought a low-mileage E60 in July). No warranty (I do my own work and it's a MT); $3k for 36k miles of warranty is too much (by comparison, the extended warranty on our Subaru cost $795 for 100k ... which we didn't use). But so far I've paid $600 in parts to replace the oil cooler and ~$70 for the stuff to read and reset codes.

We still have our Honda and Subaru; we'll keep this E60 for a year and see how it holds up before we decide which car to get rid of. Like you, we've found that the car is a joy to drive. I'll put up with more maintenance/repairs than most if I really like the car, more so because no other manufacturer makes a full size AWD sedan or wagon with a manual transmission and heated seats.

Good luck with the future .... whether you keep or sell your E61. You're not the only frustrated BMW owner in here.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Just a small update. The 5 is running fine, and it wasn't a breather hose problem. Turns out the fuel level senders aren't working. We have been driving it around for the past week to burn the fuel down, so the pumps can be removed again without spilling gas everywhere. We'll drop it off next week so they can check it all out.

Final Edit re: Fuel Pump Repair - We took the wagon back in to the shop and they double checked the fuel pumps. When removed and tested, the senders were operating just fine. The pumps were re-installed and when the car was turned on, the fuel gauge indicated 1/4 tank. They went and filled it with 5 gallons, it went up. Another 5 gallons and it indicated full again. So everything is fine and we have the 530xi back at home. The gas smell is all gone now and it seems to be doing just fine.

My guess is that when they hooked up the crossover hose and wiring and re-installed the jet pump, the sender might have gotten snagged. When everything was removed, it all got free'd up, and now everything is hunky dory. We have another year and 7 months left on our extended warranty. Hopefully, we are past all the big repairs and life can move on happily for another 100k miles.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 09-23-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I have another long term ownership update for this thread. We are just a month or so shy of having our extended warranty expire, and a new problem has come up. My wife was driving the car, and she said it had a hard time starting when she stopped at teh bank. She said that a couple of times, she turned the key and the engine seemed to crank, but the car didn't fire up. On the third try it started. After another stop, it didn't crank at all when she turned the key, but on the second try it did crank and start. She was able to drive it home, but after she parked it, it no longer will turn over at all. When we put in the key, everything powers up and looks normal, so it could be either the starter or the solenoid. We have an appointment at the BMW dealership to fix this problem, as it might require BMW specific diagnostic equipment our local shop doesn't have. I will also take the opportunity to have them do a full check of all items covered by the extended warranty, to ensure nothing that is covered needs to be addressed.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Could just be a failing battery. Or IBS cable — I think there was a recall. Let us know what it turns out to be.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    So in the end, it turned out to be a failed starter. While BMW were looking at things, they found a few other issues (leaking coolant tank, leaking oil filter housing, leaking valve cover gaskets) that were also covered under the extended warranty. This repair is going cost about $4200 at the dealer. So in the three years our extended warranty has covered the car, we have had over $13K in repairs. That's pretty rough compared to the $14k purchase price, but in all, way less than the $70K it took to buy the car new in 06, or the $65K it would take to buy an X5 to replace it.

Getting our extended warranty honored has caused many headaches over the past 3 years, due to how it was sold to us. However, that extended warranty has been invaluable in keeping our E61 on the road. It's the best $4K I ever spent. If you are buying a used BMW (or anything really) that is newer than about 2005 or so, I HIGHLY recommend paying for an extended warranty.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    Shopping
    Thanks for posting. I'm mulling the idea of buying a 2010 535i wagon (last year of the wagon), and your thread is a lot to chew on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast