Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS malfunction; RDC module failure

Angry TPMS malfunction; RDC module failure

My first post ever. I just want to post some info here so it might be helpful for someone having the same problem as me. I have 2013 328xi. Yesterday I got a message on idrive: Tire pressure monitoring system malfunction. I stopped at the local dealership to get it checked because my local shop couldn't figure out what was wrong. Over 2 hours later service advisor informed me that RDC module is broken and it would cost $1018 to get it fixed. I refused paying that much and paid "only"$168 for the diagnostic. In the meantime I asked parts department about part price and part itself was $286+tax=$307 (part number 36106855180). I went back to the service advisor to find out why total bill is over $1k if part is only $307. He told me that it needs a lot of programming and I just can't fix it myself. I took a risk and bought the part. Module is located under the car and is attached to the fuel tank. Easily accessible and it takes 2 minutes to swap the parts. I want to report that programming is a lie and extra $500 is a joke. Everything works in order. Be aware of the unhonest dealers.

My Cars
    '97 M3 4dr 5spd
    A '13 with a 4-year/50k mile warranty, correct?

Yes but unfortunately I already have 68k miles on it so warranty expired.

My Cars
    '97 M3 4dr 5spd
    Yikes, can't get the BMW warranty extended then. You should really consider an aftermarket warranty to help cover you for the future. Glad you were able to do that repair without too much hassle though.

- - - Updated - - -

Where'd you find the info on the module and where/how to replace it?

I used realoem.com to find out the part and on the diagram it said that module was attached to the gas tank. I looked under the car and it was right there by the left rear wheel.

Replacing it is really easy. Remove it from the plastic bracket, unplug it, plug in the new module, put it back into plastic bracket. 1 minute job. It's "plug n' play" part. No programming is necessary. You just have to reset the tire pressure afterthat. BMW dealer was trying to charge $600 for programming but it was a lie. No programming is necessary.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    Quote Originally Posted by united777 View Post
    Replacing it is really easy. Remove it from the plastic bracket, unplug it, plug in the new module, put it back into plastic bracket. 1 minute job. It's "plug n' play" part. No programming is necessary. You just have to reset the tire pressure afterthat. BMW dealer was trying to charge $600 for programming but it was a lie. No programming is necessary.
    Hi there. My unit control RDC module is down. I can't ever find the module under the car (BMW F30 2015) to replace. I looked for it under gas tank next to right rear but I cannot find it !! Please help me with picture or something else. Do you have to remove some component or part of trim ? Thanks for help ! Aspartakus.

I'm away from home now but I'll try to get some pictures when I get back Tuesday.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    I'm away from home now but I'll try to get some pictures when I get back Tuesday.
    Ok thanks a lot ! Is it possible to reach it without rising car or you have to put your car on a car deck ?

You would need to lift up the rear left wheel to get easier access. I believe it's possible to change it without lifting the car up but only if you know exactly where it is located. It would be much easier for you to just lift the rear left side up and change it.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    You would need to lift up the rear left wheel to get easier access. I believe it's possible to change it without lifting the car up but only if you know exactly where it is located. It would be much easier for you to just lift the rear left side up and change it.
    I'm waiting for your picture

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm not coming back home until tomorrow. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow or Wednesday.

Pictures

I took some pictures for you. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by aspartakus View Post
    I'm waiting for your picture

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    I took some pictures for you. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.
    Wonderful ! You're amazing and very kind to give me this pictures ! Thank you !
    I see now. It's enough hidden. I will raise the right rear these days to grab rdc control unit.
    We keep in touch.
    Benoit.

I'm happy to help.

My Cars
    not an e30
    Any time any electrical part has to be replaced on these fxx series cars it requires an integration level update. Something to do with making sure the computer registers the new part.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    Quote Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
    Any time any electrical part has to be replaced on these fxx series cars it requires an integration level update. Something to do with making sure the computer registers the new part.
    If you replace old one with new part which have the same OEM number, I don't think so. For example, i had change idrive button and USB plug which are electronic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
    It might me true but not in my case. I replaced it without any need to program. Car has been doing great for almost 2 years now. Guys from the parts department told me that in this case no programming was needed.

My Cars
    Control modules need to be coded. Regular electrical parts do not.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    I'm happy to help.
    Bad news : check this picture I can't found it on the right location.
    Any ideas ?
    While this time, rdc control unit works with some bugs, no total tyres pressure black out.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    Quote Originally Posted by aspartakus View Post
    Bad news : check this picture I can't found it on the right location.
    Any ideas ?
    While this time, rdc control unit works with some bugs, no total tyres pressure black out.

This seller said to me on eBay

icarsnetwork*:

I don’t remember 100% but it was in one of these three places.*
    1) Check under the drivers front fender liner. You know where all the suspension control seems are? So take off the plastic/material like fender liner and it could be there.*
    2) might be under the passenger front fender liner but I would check that place last*
    3) mounted to the body of the car under the drivers seat UNDERNEATH the car. It’s mounted to the bare metal so you would need yo take off all the plastic cover that covers the while undercarriage of the car. It should be underneath the drivers front seat might be even under the rocker panel

My Cars
    2013 335xi
    Buddy,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!...You are awesome, I followed your instructions and it worked.

For anyone else getting TPM malfunction error, its a very easy installation. Just order the part and take it to any garage,or you can even change it yourself and no programming is required at all. Its a plug and play device for F30 at least.

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    Quote Originally Posted by zaibzaib View Post
    Buddy,

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!!...You are awesome, I followed your instructions and it worked.

For anyone else getting TPM malfunction error, its a very easy installation. Just order the part and take it to any garage,or you can even change it yourself and no programming is required at all. Its a plug and play device for F30 at least.
    Hi ! Cool for you

For my part, I didn't resolve my issue.
    First, because I didn't find the rdc module under the gas tank. I think the locations change between BMW models.
    Second, the RDC failure happens only after few miles, only with long journey.

For example, did you find correctly the module under the gas tank ?!

My Cars
    2013 335xi
    yes, its right where its shown in the pics. Mine is 13 335 (f30)

My Cars
    BMW F30 318d
    Hey Folks !

I always have my tyre pressure issue.
    I didn't find the module : I've checked underneath the car (previous pictures it wasn't here) and traps under the wings.
    Where can I search now ?
    I have F30 BMW 318d EU 2015 of june.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast