Thread: 2005 325i very rough idle help

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i

2005 325i very rough idle help

Hi everyone new here to the forum, here is my issue, my wife owns a 2005 BMW 325i with about 125,000 miles on it, the car is in very good shape and she is the only owner, yesterday she took the car on a trip of about 150 miles to ski, on her way back to the house she call me and said that the car lost all power and wouldn't move, this happen after about driving a 100 miles on the way back, so I went to see what was going on and the car would start idle very rough thend die, I try to give it gas and it would barely rev up and die, no check engine light on or nothing, so we call a tow truck and got the car home, this morning after about 8 hours of the car being sitting, I started it and the car ran fine, I drove it around and the car now has no issues but there obviously something wrong, by the way we live in Colorado Springs at a altitude of over 6,000 feet, this is not the first time the car does this, the last time it did it was when we try to go to the top of pikes peak at a altitude of over 14,000 feet, the car did the same thing lost of all power and rough idle, we waited one hour and the car ran fine again so we took it back to the house, it has been six months in beetwen since the car did it the first time, hopefully you guys can give me some insight on what should I look for.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    failing fuel pump. Very common. Could also be fuel pump controller. Something gets hot quits working, when it gets cold then it works again.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Concur with the car needing a fuel pump. It's a relatively easy diy. Buy the Siemens/VDO pump from BMAparts as it has the best price. Buy a Mahl or Keyser fuel filter and change it. It has the fuel pressure regulator. The filter is located. Under the car, under the driver's seat behind a plastic panel.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i
    Thanks guys, I went ahead and order a Siemens VDO fuel pump with the mahl fuel filter, hopefully this will fix the issue, I also check to fuel pressure and it read 39 psi out of the Suggested 50 psi, it is easy to say that the pump is on it's last leg.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i
    So I when ahead and install the new pump and fuel filter, when I was replacing the filter I notice that the vacuum line that connects to the fuel regulator was disintegrate so I when ahead and replace it, I wonder how much trouble does having that line disconnected would had caused to the car? The car feels a lot more responsive now and everything works fine.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Hey guys I have a 2005 BMW 325XI I have done a lot of work on this car fuel pump, ccv, intake boot, valve cover gasket, vacuum lines I can see, cleaned the idle control valve I still have a ruff idle under load. Does any one have any ideas?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Vacuum leaks. Have the intake smoke tested.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Also helpful to try and pinpoint faults - perform a diagnostic scan for codes.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    It has no codes. I just replaced the fuel filter and disa valve today its still doing it. I m going to have to have testing done on it. Man it sucks you do all this work still doesn't fix it.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Hey guys could a oil pan leak cause a vacuum leak? I have a pretty good leak.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes,
    It's a sealed system, so same as a valve cover leak, it will cause the same symptoms.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    I figured out it's not the oil pan but the oil filter housing. I hope this fixes the vacuum leak also. I'm going to do it Thursday. I'll let you know if this fixes it. i believe this could cause a vacuum leak. Do you think so?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I assume it would.
    I hope that you are performing this as a DIY,
    as labor costs add up quickly at a shop.
    The most reliable way to locate and confirm intake leaks is to have a BMW shop perform a smoke test,
    using a professional smoke machine. Can save you lots of hours and ca$h chasing down an elusive leak!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Hey guys I fixed that oil leak, it had been leaking a long long time. But sad to say it didn't fix the idle problem. It's crazy it runs so good with either no lights and fan on high, but if I turn my head lights on the fog light heater fan on high and the seat heater on high bam it starts idling all crazy up down up down like 500 rpms I would think it would be a power issue but I changed the alternator. I have done the intake boot, the vacuums lines I can see the Valve cover spark plugs disa valve replaced fuel filter I did the radiator it was leaking ccv valve to a winter one today I did the oil filter housing. I don't now really if there is any more leaks. It sucks I think I might have to take it in and people like to charge as you know. If I just knew what the problem is I could fix it. Its just weird only when I turn on the heater and fog lights and seat heaters on it does it, not during the day or when Im not using the heater and seat heaters. If you have any insight that would be awesome. Thanks for all your help. At least the oil leak it fix today

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    oh and yes I have been doing all this stuff my self. Its running better, just not when I use the heater and the head lights and fog lights and seat heaters that's when it idles up and down. That you so much honestly

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Test the battery with a multimeter set to measure voltage,
    place corresponding leads at battery terminal's,
    observe for voltage fluctuations before,during,after,
    activating heater,headlights,foglights.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Hi.. So I did as you suggested. The volts just running are great 14.0 as I put the lights on fog lights, heater on high, and seat heaters on sitting at idle it drops down to 12.8 was the lowest point it goes 14.0 to varies to 12.8 up and down. Thats why i put a new alternator in because it was doing that. Do you think it could be the battery? How could I be sure if its the battery? Thank you for your suggestions.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Are you located near a local AutoZone, Advance Auto parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts,...etc.?
    They can perform a battery load test to indicate if a battery is failing.
    It's a free test in my area, not sure if nationwide.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Yes I have a auto zone near me I will go to them and have them test it. Thank you.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Question, have you replaced a battery in your car, and when you did did you take it somewhere to reset the computer, how important is that? Can I put in a new battery in with the proper venting and that's it or is it important to have it reset. Pepboys said they use some memory saver when they install them. But doent the computer need to know there is a new battery in the car? or is that unnecessary?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    Also I was told by two a mechanics that if you keep power to the car you don't need to get into the computer, second if you put a OEM battery you don't need to reprogram the computer. I that true. i can tell you that by doing the oil filter hosting the car is running so much better. I think that handled the vacuum leak, and on cold starts here in Colorado 20 decrees is so much better its like normal now.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325XI
    A mechanic today at church said that the idle problem is either the battery as you suggested, or a bad ground somewhere. I hope its the battery finding a bad ground could be a task lol