Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clicking rattling sound from the back seat/deck area

My Cars
    BMW e38
    Hi everyone!

I would like to thank you all for Help.

I have had the same problem in my e38.

I used high temperatured silicon to repair it for a while than i will buy original grommets.

This sound is mostly heard nearby armrest rear.

I thought it is something inside my car but it wasn't.

nowhere in Polish forums is write about it.

Thank you, that sound just drove me mad. Now i can drive my BMW in silience.

Cheers,
    Pete

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by henrikhahn View Post
    Had the same rattle, and after been through everthing mentioned here (removing seats and whatever other piece I could imagine) I finally went under the car. I found the rattle came from the metal hook that holds the emergency cable in place. This metal hook is mounted in chassis through two small rubber grommets that had disappeared over time. Replace the rubber grommets, put the metal hook back in place in through the grommets, and the rattle is gone. Rubber grommet is a couple of $ each and part number is:
    Quote Originally Posted by w0w View Post
    this is the problem! i took apart my rear seats and deck 4 times trying to isolate the sound and one day popped my head in the trunk through the ski pass and realized it was coming from underneath the car, right above the spare tire well. after looking under the car i saw that metal hook and realized it was sitting loose in its position rattling away. vid below:

https://vid.me/hp6o

I wanted to write back to this thread. I had this rattle in the back seat area. It sounded like someone dropped a quarter into the seat belt receptacle and it was rattling around in there -- CONSTANTLY. It drove me nuts. I was sure it couldn't have been that metal clip under the car, since it totally sounded like it was inside the car.

I had replaced those grommets a while back, but I did notice it hanging again while I was under there a while ago. I just got the grommets earlier this week and put them in a couple days ago.

WOW!! That was it! My car is silent again. It is shocking, but totally true, that that metal clip resonates through the car and sounds like the rattle is inside. I had taken the back seats out, ski pass, everything and couldn't get rid of it. But now it is gone!
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2014 X3
    Any chance someone is still able to access this video? Having a similar problem and was hoping to see the video. Says it’s unavailable (I realize it’s been a. Couple years). Thanks I’m advance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12