Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another new E39 Touring owner

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    It sounds like your thought patterns are a lot like mine when it comes to power upgrades!

And I am planning on picking up a headlight restoration kit today!

This would be simpler if I wasn't buying my wife an E83 X3 next week, restoring my M-Tech 1 car, putting money into my track car, and building an Endurance Racer, all at the same time!!
    Last edited by kingston; 04-10-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yeah, 20 should do it. I am going to 14k in the rear next. Started with 8k and it was no good. I have 12k up front which is perfect to me.

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    We really need to get all the touring owners together that have coilover setups with different spring rates and test them. Im at 9k/10k and it feels great I could not imagine 14k/20k

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    It sounds like your thought patters are alt like mine when it comes to power upgrades! And I am plan I t on picking up a headlight restoration kit today! This would be simpler if I wasn't buying my wife an E83 X3 next week, restoring my M-Tech 1 car, putting money into my track car, and building an Endurance Racer, all at the same time!!
    I hear ya, I got to finish this header project I got going on my 540/Dinan five before I can jump into the 335 project or I'll be over my head... One step at a time and hell, I've got two perfectly running BMWs right now so not rushing into the next but...

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Since your an I6 guy... Swap an S54 motor in that mofo and have a really nice set of horses, and straight set of (6) cylinders...

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    Since your an I6 guy... Swap an S54 motor in that mofo and have a really nice set of horses, and straight set of (6) cylinders...
    I expected to see a lot of those conversions...but I don't. Not sure why not, though... I have a friend who is a VERY talented mechanic (not a shade tree guy, he is a pro) who wants to get 525 and S54-swap it...I am really hoping he does, so his car can be the guinea pig, and then we can do my car afterwards!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Yeah, 20 should do it. I am going to 14k in the rear next. Started with 8k and it was no good. I have 12k up front which is perfect to me.
    I have read through your complete thread a couple of times. I had been hoping that FA was going to get back to offering a kit for the Tourings, but when I saw the Broadway Static kit come up, I couldn't pass it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1NAWTY5 View Post
    We really need to get all the touring owners together that have coilover setups with different spring rates and test them. Im at 9k/10k and it feels great I could not imagine 14k/20k
    I would be all about a get together - it IS a Touring after all! I hope the spring rate doesn't kick my butt...Paul said it is stiff, but not race car stiff. It is also pretty low...hopefully it isn't 'slammed' setup only...I guess I will see when the kit gets here!
    Last edited by kingston; 04-02-2016 at 08:05 PM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I am anxious to hear your feedback on how it rides. I was considering 15k in the rear but don't want to jump up too much. So far, I have tried increasing 2k at a time and it's close at 12k on the most recent setup. I wouldn't think 20k would be too high based on my personal experience even though it sounds nutty.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Will do! It will be a month or so before I get them on. Right now most of the focus is on final prep for the new season on my Track car. Always so much to do, and so little time!

- - - Updated - - -

I am learning more about these cars all the time. I have sourced a set of 530i/540i front calipers and carriers. I think I will pick those up, in anticipation of my power upgrades. A friend of mine locally does powder locating, and I think I will disassemble them, clean and media blast them, then powder coat them. Probably just black, since I kind of like the Desert Africa black and tan theme my car has going on

I know that technically this is not necessary, but I am a believer in the statement that there is no such thing as too much brakes. Now to figure out tires I want to run on the car! I am planning on going with an 18x9.5 set of VMR CSL-reps for the spring/summer/fall wheels. I have Blizzaks on set of Mille Miglias for when it gets cold. Any suggestions for tires? I don't need super high-performance tires, since this car won't see the track, but something pretty grippy that will last well...

Thanks guys!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Why not throw some M5 brakes on? I was about to when I found the Brembo GT kit.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    that's what I did M5 brakes and Brembo pads... Love it

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    Any suggestions for tires?
    I love my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. Nice thing is the seasonal overlap, I didn't put my snow tires on until early December this year since we didn't get any snow early on, and I took those suckers off about three weeks ago (incidentally also mounted on 5 spoke Mille-Miglias).

I also have Pilot Sport A/S 3s on my E36 M3 and have done 3 track days with them, one at Mid-Ohio. Heartland Park destroyed the outer shoulders on two brand-new front tires right after I put them on, but that was due to the track being so damn abrasive, everyone had chewed up tires that day. So, a great all-around tire! I get mine at Costco.
    Last edited by sienayr; 04-05-2016 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    I may just do that. I have not researched if the M5 stuff also just bolts up to the 525 components...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    that's what I did M5 brakes and Brembo pads... Love it
    Hmmm...sensing a trend here...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    I love my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. Nice thing is the seasonal overlap, I didn't put my snow tires on until early December this year since we didn't get any snow early on, and I took those suckers off about three weeks ago (incidentally also mounted on 5 spoke Mille-Miglias).

I also have Pilot Sport A/S 3s on my E36 M3 and have done 3 track days with them, one at Mid-Ohio. Heartland Park destroyed the outer shoulders on two brand-new front tires right after I put them on, but that was due to the track being so damn abrasive, everyone had chewed up tires that day. So, a great all-around tire! I get mine at Costco.
    That is great info, thanks! I will look into those. heartland Park used to be brutal. When the last owners 'resurfaced' it, they just shaved it down. So it wasn't abrasive anymore...but it wasn't terribly grippy, either. I am hoping the new owners do it properly!

Thanks guys!!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yeah, M5 brakes will bolt right up but you will need front/rear calipers, brackets, rotors, pads, dust shields and rear parking brake hardware. I got all my stuff (other than rotors) from Adam (Clemster) on M5board. If you don't have his contact info, I will PM it to you.

I plan on Pilot Sport A/S 3's next for my touring too. I have Continental DW's on now which are great but I have heard more positive reviews on the A/S 3's. I am also going to up the rear width to 285 from 275.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Thanks Brandon! I got your Pm, and appreciate the info!

I am unused to being able to run such wide tires! 225s are about it on my E30 track car! After the coil overs are here, I will pick up a set of wheels. I am leaning towards VMR CSL-reps, but Paul Ehrich of Ehrlich Wheel Works has a seriously tempting set of wheels...
    Last edited by kingston; 04-09-2016 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Just a couple of quick pics...

I got the M5 steering wheel and popped it on the other day. A subtle difference in feel compared to the 4-spoke wheel, but a very nice upgrade nonetheless! I need a new button pad for the left side of the wheel, and that will happen pretty soon. SnaponBob got his Touring the other day, and his has the `01-`03 M5 wheel on there...that has a much thicker rim, and the rim is more oval than round. I want to drive his car once he fixes up a few things, and see if I want to go that route. For now, I am VERY happy with the upgrade

I should be getting the coilovers in about a week. I cannot wait to get them installed. Paul sent me a picture of them after he pulled them off of his Touring. They will get cleaned up a bit more before I install them.

More soon!
    Last edited by kingston; 04-17-2016 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Well, I got the Fortune Auto/Broadway Static coilovers today...and decided to put them up for sale so I can put more money into the track cars. I hate to do it, but I have to prioritize!

So, I have the first set of Broadway Static Coilovers for an E39 Touring (Brandon has the first Fortune Auto set!) up for sale, with 20K, 14K springs, as well as both spanners for spring perch adjustments for sale for $1100.00, if anyone is interested. These were from Paul Ehrlich of Ehrlich Wheel Works, and the have around 15K miles on them.

Guess I will upload some pics and pop them up on Panjo tonight :/

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Well, I have not posted for quite some time, but I have started to pay attention to the Touring again.

I was tired of the 16" wheels, and managed to trade them out for a set of 18" M-Pars in E39 fitment, and with Michelin Pilot Sports THe wheels should really be refinished, and I think I will do that in April, maybe with a light smoke look.

In other news, I bought an M54 B30 for her yesterday, for the princely sum of $164 with tax! THe motor will be rebuilt with new piston rings, man bearings, rod bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump, etc. I will also do an aftermarket set of headers when the new lump goes in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kingston; 02-11-2017 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Tomorrow I drive to pick up the new motor for the Touring. I have started an excel spreadsheet with everything that I will need to rebuild the motor and swap it into the Touring. That way, it will be available if anyone else wants to go down that road.

I also ordered a set of Koni yellows for the car yesterday, and am trying to figure out what way to go with springs. My tentative plan is to buy front Sport springs (for an E39 Touring with SLS), and go with the awesome adjustable spring perches M5 Jed is making with some 12K Swift springs. I think I am also going to go with a set of Eibach sways at the same time.I
    cannot wait!

My Cars
    2003 540iT M-Sport (sold
    Great to see the update and that you're moving forward with the "new" motor!

M-Pars look great also, though I couldn't help but notice what looks like the wider lip on the front.... Did you mount them backwards?

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by aharbaugh9 View Post
    Great to see the update and that you're moving forward with the "new" motor!

M-Pars look great also, though I couldn't help but notice what looks like the wider lip on the front.... Did you mount them backwards?
    I did initially, yes...and I would love to pretend that I noticed it right away...but yeah...no. :/

I ordered a set of Eibach swaybars today. Both the bars and the Konis should be here by Friday!

My Cars
    528iT
    $164? Jeez what a steal. I'd be tempted to scrounge one of those up for the hell of it just to dump into my girls 325xi and give it more pep.

My buddy picked up an entire B30 assembly with front subframe/trans/front spindles and brakes off a 530 for $400. Rock bottom prices these things..

My Cars
    1987 325is 2000 530iT/5
    I went from 528iTA to 530iT5 to 530iT6. Lovin it, lmk if you need info on b30 stuff but since yours is a 525i, it wont be hard. Going from M52TUB28 was much harder,

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    itsbrokeagain, The motor was overheated, so the block is likely unusable. I will by another block and build it up. Still, the crankshafts alone usually sell for $300+...hard to pass that up!

E30NJ I may well have questions. It looks like I need a new MAF, injectors, airbox, throttle body, intake elbow, airbox and a DME reprogram. This will easily be a $2500 swap when it is done. I would love to do a 6-speed swap at some point too! What diff are you running now?

My Cars
    1987 325is 2000 530iT/5
    E30NJ I may well have questions. It looks like I need a new MAF, injectors, airbox, throttle body, intake elbow, airbox and a DME reprogram. This will easily be a $2500 swap when it is done. I would love to do a 6-speed swap at some point too! What diff are you running now?[/QUOTE]

I used all the b30 intake system, fuel rail, injectors, dme, exhaust, and slight modification of the engine wiring harness. You shouldn't have to modify the harness though being that yours is M54B25. I used a GS6-37BZ out of a E90, hybrid drivshaft (that was hell to make), and 3.46 rear end. Overall very peppy setup.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Thank you for the info! Is the diff an LSD unit? From what car does it come?

Some of my goodies for the Touring arrived late last week!

The Eibach Pro-Kit springs have to come from Germany, so it will be a short while before they get here. I have new front and rear swaybar drop links coming as well. Once everything is here< I will commence the suspension swap. I cannot wait to feel the difference! Does anyone have any advice on how stiff to set the Konis?

Friday I will be picking up a black interior (complete with leather seats to replace my vinyl ones). Cannot wait to ditch the tan interior!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast