Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another new E39 Touring owner

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped

525i 5-speed Touring getting an M54B30

Hello all!

I have been a 3-series BMW guy for awhile, but I am picking up my first 5-series car in 6 days; a 2003 5-speed 525 Touring. The car is owned by a friend of mine, who bought it for his wife. It is a 2-owner car, always enthusiast owned, with all the service records going back to the first oil change. Has the original window sticker and sales brochures as well.

This is a pretty low-content car (smoker's package is the only package), and the car currently has 116K miles. There are a couple of little door dings here and there, a little rubbed spot on the front passenger side bumper, and a failed previous repair on the driver-side rear bumper. No worries, as I will replacing both parts with M-Tech parts.

The car is shown with its non-Winter wheels, but s currently shod with a different set with new Winter tires. It is pretty much bone stock. with the addition of a DICE adapter for MP3 connectivity.

The interior is tan leatherette, and there is one tear on the driver-side seat bottom. I will be looking for a tan leather interior with Sport seats to replace the comforts.

I am still learning E39 language, but I have already learned a fair bit from lurking here. This will be a DD for me, and a long GT trip car for my wife and I.

Happy to be joining the club!
    Last edited by kingston; 02-10-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Shpelling
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

My Cars
    99 540iT
    Nice pickup. What color is it? I may be in the minority but I prefer stock and comfort seats over sport. Been on many a cross country road-trips and never arrived sore with my non-sport seats.
    99 540iT - Merlot Truckster (TCG done 134k, might sell...)
    00 528i/5 - Grüen Arrow (sold)
    93 740i - Grün Hornet (sold)
    00 740iL (R.I.P.)

My Cars
    e34 525tdT '95 e38 740i
    Nice car, sport seats and M bumpers will definetley be great upgrade. After that you only need some nice wheels and this is it.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    The car is Kalaharibeige Metallic over tan. I will be selling the non-Winter wheels that are shown in the picture. And the guy with the black Touring interior may get a call from me in a few weeks...I think Kalahari over black would look incredible!

I will definitely do the MTech rear bumper. Not sure yet about the M5 front. That would suggest more performance than the car possesses. but I am a relentless modder, so we will see where she ends up. I DO want to put a 3-spoke Sport steering wheel on her.
    Last edited by kingston; 01-17-2016 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    E39
    If you swap to black, let me know if you part out your tan interior.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    I will do! Part of me wants to keep the car OEM (well, maybe OEM+), but I have never been very successful in leaving well enough alone!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Mod till you cross the line. Someone in here will tell you when that is. Black interior with that color looks good, even if it's just the seats with black accents in the doors. Cool car.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    I am sure they will! I started out with an E36 325is, and went back in time to the E30 chassis. I currently have 3 of the things sitting in my driveway. One is a stripped out, caged, S52-swapped track car; another is a Burgundrot M52-swapped M-Tech 1 car with black leather Recaro LX-Cs. The latest one is a Hennarot car that is being built for WRL Endurance Racing. The goal for this car is to have something nice to take suppliers around in for work, and have a car my wife and I can take long trips in. I have been reading tons of threads on this forum, and I am formulating a plan as to where this car will end up! I am not a V8 guy, but I have always wanted to pop a supercharger on a BMW I6!
    Last edited by kingston; 01-18-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    I am sure they will! I started out with an E36 325is, and went back in time to the E30 chassis. I currently have 3 of the things sitting in my driveway. One is a stripped out, caged, S52-swapped track car; another is a Burgundrot M52-swapped M-Tech 1 car with black leather Recaro LX-Cs. The latest one is a Hennarot car that is being built for WRL Endurance Racing. The goal for this car is to have something nice to take suppliers around in for work, and have a car my wife and I can take long trips in. I have been reading tons of threads on this forum, and I am formulating a plan as to where this car will end up! I am not a V8 guy, but I have always wanted to pop a supercharger on a BMW I6!
    You're in luck, there's a group of really smart people in here that can help you put a supercharger on your new toy.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Plattus1000, that certainly seems to be the case! I pick up the car in 4 days. I cannot wait to take possession of her!

- - - Updated - - -

This is the M-Tech 1 car I am building and painting myself

And my track car

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    I picked up the new Daily today, driving her 250 miles from St. Louis to Kansas City. I am kinda smitten! 27mpg on the highway, nice and smooth, no issues at all.

I snapped a couple of quick pics of her; more after I give her a bath this weekend!

Oh, and the PO's wife named her 'Nancy.' Bad luck to rename a vessel, so Nancy she will stay!

Stay tuned...

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Popped a ZHP shift knob on the Touring today. It made the shifts feel a little more meaty, but I really think the car needs a short shifter. it is so light in action that it feels like a toy!

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Hey Kingston, welcome. I met you at the summer meet up, I have an '03 540i M-Sport Touring. Missed yesterday but hope to make the next meet. Let me know if you want to do your rear sub-frame bushings sometime, we can rent the tool and split it.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Hello! He subframe bushings on my car were done fairly recently, but if you decide you are going to do yours, hit me up and I will come over and help. I have to learn how to work on E39s!
    Last edited by kingston; 03-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Cool. I have a full diagnostic laptop as well. Just replaced center supp bearing, guibo and trans mounts a few weeks back.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Nice! The guibo and CSB were done last year on my car, but I don't know about the trans bushings. I want to look into those. I also have a leaking power steering fluid reservir, but I am sure that is easy to change out as well!

Shoot me a text at some point. 816-729-2768. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped

A few little updates!

I haven't updated in a bit; mostly I have just been driving the car.

I have done a few little things (added a new front Roundel to replace the faded one, put matte black Kidney grills on the car). But now it is time for a few more serious changes!

I just sent a deposit to Paul Ehrlich of Ehrlich Wheels for his set of Broadway Static 500 series coilovers from his Touring. This was the first set that Broadway Static built for an E39 Touring. I should have them in a couple of weeks

I also decided that it was time for a Sport steering wheel, so I bought one today.

The car is a joy to drive, but I am looking forward to firming up the suspension some...and more power. We went on a road trip a few weeks ago to Colorado and drove up Pike's Peak...the high altitude really killed the small amount of power that she has. I am planning at this point on picking up the long block from an M54B30, and swapping that in with the car's current intake system. And the ESS Stage 2 Twin Screw supercharger is looking seriously tempting!

Some pics from the trip:

More soon!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Nice pictures. My touring is the same color. And I have factory crossbars too. Looks like you'll need a new button pad for your 3-spoke wheel. I don't think those "pancake" 3-spokers were subject to the Takata airbag recall like the round airbags were. You may want to check the sticker on the back for the manufacturer, just to be sure. I have a few a DIY's on my website (link in sig).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Frankie, thank you very much for the info!!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    What spring rates on the coilovers? My car was used to prototype the first E39 touring coilovers from Fortune Broadway must have gotten the second set.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    The springs are 20K/14K...

Hope that is sufficient!

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston View Post
    The springs are 20K/14K...

Hope that is sufficient!
    WOW! 20k for the fronts?

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    ESS Twinscrew supercharger is definitely awesome but for the price of that you could buy and install an S62 motor and have 400HP... Or buy an M62tuB46 from an X5 4.6is and ramp it up to near 380HP and still have money left over for other stuff for the 7000$ price tag on the stage 2 twin screw... Or just an M62tu or none vanos, all I which are less than the twin screw and would reliably put out more power for less $$$
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 04-01-2016 at 11:39 PM.

My Cars
    '88 BMW 325, S52-swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by 1NAWTY5 View Post
    WOW! 20k for the fronts?
    For the rears. Sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    ESS Twinscrew supercharger is definitely awesome but for the price of that you could buy and install an S62 motor and have 400HP... Or buy an M62tuB46 from an X5 4.6is and ramp it up to near 380HP and still have money left over for other stuff for the 7000$ price tag on the stage 2 twin screw... Or just an M62tu or none vanos, all I which are less than the twin screw and would reliably put out more power for less $$$
    An S62 is a possibility, too...although I have always been an I6 guy when it comes to BMWs. And the M54B30 swap with a supercharger is relatively straightforward.
    But I still cannot shake the idea of looking for a wrecked E39 M5...

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I mean why not? I will say... I have an M54B30 in my 330ci vert and love it... I have never owned an in-line six BMW in all the 12 years I've been driving them iVe had 540s and was BACk at the ESS tuning site after I told myself 7k$ was too much for 120hp extra but man does that thing seem wonderful.... Bolts right up doesn't even look after market and seems to fit perfectly... but then I thought... you know... a 335, which comes with turbos already on it, is not that much more, and you can get a pretty decent one for 10k$... So I'm pretty sure that's my next project, get a nice one for 12-15k$ and then tune the hell out of it... Which brings me to my next idea that I've always wanted to do one of these days... Swap N54 motor into anything like an E 30, 36 39 or 46...
    Anyway, nice ride. U got there... Something cheap that would make it look a lot better could be some headlight restoration Pollish
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 04-02-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast