RM European Auto Parts

Thread: bmw x3 (e83) grinding noise from front.

My Cars
    bmw x3 m sport 2.0d(e83)

bmw x3 (e83) grinding noise from front.

I've got this bad grinding noise coming from front right, sounds like metal on metal, happens more under load or accelerating, gets less and less as it gets warmer, my first thought was front diff, so I removed the prop from transfer to front diff and front drive shafts, I used some drive shaft ends to keep my wheelbearings compressed while I tested. So diff is not turning at all, still there. I put new wheel bearings in both front, still there, and while I was at it 2 New front drive shafts. Still there, I know people say it could be a noise in the back traveling but I'm certain it's in the front. Checked the calipers nice and tight, put in New pads. Still there. I'm lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also when it grinds I have my hand on the gear stick to try feeling for it coming from the gearbox, feels silky smooth on gear stick. So lost

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Sounds like the noise is emanating from the engine compartment. Does the noise change when you increase the engine's speed? Try that at s cold start-slowly increase the engine's speed to see if the noise changes.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I've had this noise twice, on two different X5s. The first time, I installed a RF wheelbearing. Noise was still there. Took my boss for a ride, he said replace LF wheelbearing. We did. Did more research, replaced transfer case. That fixed it. Second time too. Just did a RangeRover, same issue, last week.

Put the vehicle on a lift, shut off DSC by holding button down for 5 seconds. (You will still set many codes anyway). Listen to the transfer case with a mechanic's stethoscope while someone brings the drivetrain up to speed. You'll know, as soon as you hear the nastiness in the transfer case.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471