Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timing Chain Guides and VANOS - A Couple of Questions....

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by ebida3 View Post
    I'm replacing guides, OSV, chains, tensioners, everything. How involved is it to rebuild the VANOS?
    Anyone have any experience with this?

- - - Updated - - -

How difficult was the VANOS. It looks like I need special tools.
    I've rebuilt three sets of Vanos units. Replacing the seals isn't hard, it just requires some patience and the ability to follow directions.

Pressing the Vanos units is the hard part, because you need a massive amount of force. A solid breaker bar and a sturdy vice is what you'll need to press the Vanos. You'll need the Vanos press tools, but a lot of M62tu timing kits come with the Vanos press tools. Make sure that the kit you rent/buy has those included.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Yeah you can do that too. I have never adjusted mine, so I just removed the nut on the pump sprocket, slipped the old chain off, and put the new in there. Right within tolerance.

I started the car today for the first time. I was so nervous lol. It fired right up. Not a single rattle or noise either, but I wouldn't expect that with how tight all the new chains were with the new guides. It was so tight the cover itself was tensioning the chain on the passenger side. So far so good.
    Well done man! Yeah it takes several minutes of staring at the engine in contemplation to work up the courage to turn that key for the first time. It's a great sense of accomplishment when done.

I'm replacing guides, OSV, chains, tensioners, everything. How involved is it to rebuild the VANOS?
    Anyone have any experience with this?

- - - Updated - - -

How difficult was the VANOS. It looks like I need special tools.
    Like Danny said above- not that difficult. If you're doing all that work don't skip out on rebuilding the vanos. I almost did but am so glad I decided to bite the bullet and do the rebuild. No sense skipping it when you're already all the way in there.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    You guys are an inspiration for me. The VANOS rebuild procedure seems a little convoluted. Example, the teflon seal gets wavy then you have to smoothen it out while making sure it sits right.
    I guess trying to process it in my mind without it in front of me it throwing me off.
    And I understand that you basically mark the asproket and unit then turn down the press one complete turn. Then making sure there is no gap what so ever between the lip and the gasket.
    Any surprises other than the force needed to press it?
    Thanx in advance. Once again you guys are my heros, at peas for the moment, lol!
    Marc

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

Timing Chain Guides and VANOS - A Couple of Questions....

No real surprises, just follow the instructions and be patient. The Teflon o-ring is a bit of a pain in the ass, but if you take your time with it you'll be fine. The important thing is to not rip it by shoving it in too hard. Before you put the new Teflon rings in, put them in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. That'll soften them up and make them pliable and easier to work with.

I'm happy to help with this stuff, because it's just giving back to the wonderful community here. I learned so much from these forums when I was starting out.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Maybe a good idea to get the recommended extra ring that is fully refundable as well just in case...

My Cars
    2000 740i 2001 740il
    Hello guys I have a 2000 740i and I think its time to do my Vanos also! sounds like a good time, I started looking for a tool not sure witch one to get?? any idea's

thanks James

My Cars
    740i Sport
    You guys are an inspiration for me. The VANOS rebuild procedure seems a little convoluted. Example, the teflon seal gets wavy then you have to smoothen it out while making sure it sits right. I guess trying to process it in my mind without it in front of me it throwing me off. And I understand that you basically mark the asproket and unit then turn down the press one complete turn. Then making sure there is no gap what so ever between the lip and the gasket. Any surprises other than the force needed to press it? Thanx in advance. Once again you guys are my heros, at peas for the moment, lol! Marc
    I did mine and the only other thing I would say is to make sure you grease the screw on the press you use the grease makes it so much easier to screw it down.

My Cars
    740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by wagzilla View Post
    Hello guys I have a 2000 740i and I think its time to do my Vanos also! sounds like a good time, I started looking for a tool not sure witch one to get?? any idea's thanks James
    Get the ones from Beisan I did and they worked great with using his seals

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Completed the strip-down this weekend:

It all went fine although a couple of comments. The "Jesus Bolt" gave in pretty easily - I used the "Pelican" crank holder and a 30" 3/4" breaker bar (no pipe extension) and it yielded without much of a fight. What did surprise me were the cam sprocket bolts. I really had to haul on these - made me doubt they were left-hand thread (checked the Besian instructions and TIS twice to make sure). A lot more torque than I would have thought.

I will send the VANOS units out for a rebuild I think - any recommendations?

Then cleaning it all up and the rebuild starts (the fun part).

Rob.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    You'd save a ton of money just rebuilding the Vanos on your own. It's so easy that once you've done it you'll wonder why you would consider spending all that money for Dr. Vanos or one of those guys to do rebuild them.

Nice work BTW.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    More progress. I sent the VANOS units off to Vanosman (George) who rebuilt them with the Besian seals. George has been very helpful and turned them around very quickly for a very reasonable price. Anyway its all cleaned up and reinstalled with new guides, chains, valves and seals. Just have to do the timing and torque the cams. I pulled the intake as I noticed the retaining fiber washer on some of the injector seals had shattered so need to replace those. Oh well. I did the valley pan last year so checked it was all still good and will check the torque on the bolts in any case.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Don't forget to spin Vanos sprocket centers all the way back, counter clockwise before tightening
    and don't forget to tighten stud on the U-rail to hold CCV neck in place
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Torque the Exhaust sprockets to 92ft lbs and both intakes at 81ft lbs
    Sure helps to have a buddy counter hold the Cam's from turning and the blocks from lifting. U can be off timing if the blocks lift 1mm off.
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I don't know about the facelift cars, but the TIS stated 15Nm for the cam and exhaust sprockets on my prefacelift. They were very easy to loosen also. Don't know where 92 and 81 is coming from unless the Vanos cars are cranked on there.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    I don't know about the facelift cars, but the TIS stated 15Nm for the cam and exhaust sprockets on my prefacelift. They were very easy to loosen also. Don't know where 92 and 81 is coming from unless the Vanos cars are cranked on there.
    Per Bentley e38 99-01
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    92 and 81 are correct for the camshaft sprocket bolts, I did timing chain guides on three M62tu's last year. You definitely want to have somebody counter hold the camshafts so they stay in place while torquing the camshaft sprocket bolts, otherwise you might get a timing over-advanced error when you run the engine.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Don't forget to spin Vanos sprocket centers all the way back, counter clockwise before tightening
    and don't forget to tighten stud on the U-rail to hold CCV neck in place
    Yep - I would have missed the hex stud in the U-rail for the CCV. That one is not obvious, but is documented in the DIY so did catch it. 91/82ft lb is the correct torque - I really had to haul on the LH thread cam bolts to release them and there is no locating key, the sprockets are held in place by the torque.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    on non vanos engine cam sprockets held with 6 tiny bolts (15n/m each) , on newer engines there is only one in a middle (92 & 81n/m)
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    on non vanos engine cam sprockets held with 6 tiny bolts (15n/m each) , on newer engines there is only one in a middle (92 & 81n/m)
    Ohhhhh...that makes sense. I was going to ask why the difference. I didn't realize it was just one big bolt for the TU engines, I haven't had a TU apart for guides. My prefacelift is just like you say...6 E-torx bolts on each sprocket. 15nM. I was wondering why everyone was talking about counter holding the cams, since it was so easy to get mine on and off. OP good job! You're moving along!
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport
    More progress this weekend. Got the cams timed - double checked and adjusted after two rotations of the crank so as to be sure. Front covers on, and new crank bolt installed and torqued. Next weekend can start on bolting back up all the external bits, add fluids and will be ready to give it a start. Fingers crossed!

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Looking good.

My Cars
    2000 740il, 2003 Z4
    Looks good and a good bit of work. My question are ALL these e38's going to have timing chain issue or does it just seem that way from all the threads on it ??

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by garycw View Post
    Looks good and a good bit of work. My question are ALL these e38's going to have timing chain issue or does it just seem that way from all the threads on it ??
    Most E38's will eventually have this issue, since the guide plastic inevitably wears out and breaks apart. However, the older pre-Vanos E38's usually go for longer before the guides fail, and there are a few E38's that will likely never have the issue: the 1995 740il, because it uses an M60 engine with a double timing chain, and the 1995-2001 750il, because the M73 engine only has one timing chain that's not prone to guide failure. So if you never want guide failure, buy either a super old 740il, or any 750il.

My Cars
    2000 740il, 2003 Z4

Timing Chain Guides and VANOS - A Couple of Questions....

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of sitting at 131k mi and now my daily driver. Just not sure how much more $ I can justifiably put in it. Purchased as occasional driver in '09 for $7k. Since have put around $4500 or more in it.
    Last edited by garycw; 02-03-2016 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Since 2009 you spent only 4500? You are lucky my friend
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast